Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My new 2024 Domane SL 5 is .95# heavier than it should be.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

My new 2024 Domane SL 5 is .95# heavier than it should be.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-24, 09:08 AM

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
Agree with 'Porky' and to some extent 'somewhat LOGO BLOAT'... Logos, can be and are 'design elements', but BLOAT is disconcerting and ugly - as with my 2009 Tarmac (which I dearly love... best bike ever...) which has logos on EVERY TUBE !!! one suffers ... and 'imperfect is the state of our universe - and glad for it !!! 'Wonderful' is much more important.

Weight... did some homework... because I have the option to 'return' Emonda SL5 within 30 days, full refund - Bought at our local TREK (overdone, blocky logo of no real design merit ) store.
Actual bike weight with older Ultegra SPD-SL pedals - 21.4 lbs , 9.72 Kg
so ACTUAL stock Emonda Wheel weight - both wheels, with tires, stock rotors and 11-30 105 Cassette. = 8 lbs 3.7 Kg !!!
IF I were to go with a CF wheelset of, say, 1450 g, add some good. light tires, use TPU tubes, nice rotors and the current cassette, that comes to 5.8 lbs, 2.65 Kg
so a savings of 2.2. lbs, 1 Kg
so bike weight of 19.2 lbs. , 8.7+ Kg
Pedals I have on bike, some older, heavier Ultegra SPD-SL. If I change to the Eggbeaters I mostly use - that's -100 g
so now 18.9+, 8.6 K,
Further savings could be had with a much lighter saddle - seat mast is alloy, could go to TREK CF mast = $$... CF Bar/Stem
Given this version of Hydraulic Disc is prolly 500 g additional weight over a good Rim brake system... we're still talking 8.1 ish Kg... over what was a decent rim brake weight ... in 2009...
...looking for a 17+ ish lb , 7.8 Kg Disc Bike is prolly in the $5000 - $6000 + price level....
I'm on the fence about returning and looking elsewhere...
I do like the 'fit' of the bike - so the Q is : Will the Better wheels transform the nag into a race horse ???
I have had that happen before...
Thoughts ?
Yuri
Ride On
Short answer is yes, wheels will make a big difference. My Lynskey came with Vision Team 30s (claimed weight ~1920g, IIRC), oversized Conti UltraSport 2s (maybe 280g each - at least they’re kevlar bead), and the awful 11-34 11-speed cassette. The wheels were heavy, wooden, and made the bike ride like a stuck pig.

Partway through 2022 I put on some Light Bicycles R45s with DT240s (1417g). Between those wheels, switching to GP5ks, and a preferred cassette, the Lynskey’s dropped 7% from 20.5lbs to a shade over 19lbs (with Assiomas, cages, and computer mount), and gained a much needed spring in its step off the line. Now, if only I could drop 7% of my body weight just as painlessly…

Double check that Trek didn’t substitute wire bead tires in, as well. That’s a nearly invisible way of cutting costs and adding weight.
Likes For aliasfox:
Old 05-02-24, 10:20 AM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrasero
The Emonda is a good bike don't get me wrong I just think for it's purpose it's way behind the times since it's not that aero to be considered an all arounder and not nearly as light as its competitors. Granted if the price and fit is for you than the Emonda can be a great bike and while yeah you can upgrade the wheelset and go with TPU tubes, you could have done that with any other bike like with a Canyon Ultimate or Specialized Aethos or whatever.
just get some 9Velos or EliteWheels Drives
... good ideas...
I just think even with the upgrades 19lbs for a entry level climbing bike even with pedals that's really heavy for a "lightweight" or "climbing" bike. Now if weight doesn't matter to you than yeah again the Emonda is a good bike but at $3500 I'd rather spend $500 more and get a Ultimate CF SL 7 Di2 18lbs or an Aethos Comp Di2 17lbs at $4000
Originally Posted by aliasfox
Short answer is yes, wheels will make a big difference. My Lynskey came with Vision Team 30s (claimed weight ~1920g, IIRC), oversized Conti UltraSport 2s (maybe 280g each - at least they’re kevlar bead), and the awful 11-34 11-speed cassette. The wheels were heavy, wooden, and made the bike ride like a stuck pig.

Partway through 2022 I put on some Light Bicycles R45s with DT240s (1417g). Between those wheels, switching to GP5ks, and a preferred cassette, the Lynskey’s dropped 7% from 20.5lbs to a shade over 19lbs (with Assiomas, cages, and computer mount), and gained a much needed spring in its step off the line. Now, if only I could drop 7% of my body weight just as painlessly…
Double check that Trek didn’t substitute wire bead tires in, as well. That’s a nearly invisible way of cutting costs and adding weight.
Thanks, both.
I guess I have some 'irrational' at work also...
I've ridden Specialized bikes well over 20 yrs, and I love them... But would like to try something different... Not needing a 'climbing bike' and I do like a 'burly' ride, even though now at 145 lbs, I'm hardly burly myself... Not wanting a Full Race nor an 'Endurance' posture...
Not wanting Electronic shift (yet), but want a bike which could easily convert to E-Shift. 12 spd is way more than I need... 11 spd is also more... but I can get a custom cassette !
NO MORE Black !!!! no crazy fluoro color either - the 90's are OVER ! LOL!
Mech 105 is fine.
and much prefer a thread T47 BB, not a pressfit.
clean lines... I want my '80 Colnago Super, in CF...
cost is always a consideration, but not the decider here...
I rode it again, yesterday, and - wish I had a lighter wheelset with TA, I could throw on for a short ride...
No MORE BLACK !!!
Ride On
Yuri
Old 05-02-24, 04:31 PM
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: 2024 Trek Domane SL5, 2018 Cannondale Synapse AL 105 SE, 2017 Giant Roam 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
So will OP keep it or ask for a refund?
I am not contemplating returning the bike. I only wanted to know if the weight discrepancy was common or not.
Likes For Tony_G:
Old 05-02-24, 05:03 PM
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 1,547 Times in 1,014 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony_G
I am not contemplating returning the bike. I only wanted to know if the weight discrepancy was common or not.
Get one of these and perhaps find that there's no issue.

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-meter-Elec.../dp/B00ZWNGZFO
Old 05-06-24, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 986 Times in 507 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Get one of these and perhaps find that there's no issue.

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-meter-Elec.../dp/B00ZWNGZFO
I might not bother getting an $8 digital scale for the purpose of confirming accuracy of another scale.
Old 05-06-24, 07:40 AM
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3783 Post(s)
Liked 5,771 Times in 2,911 Posts
This has caused OP quite a bit of anxiety. If he bought a half dozen scales and found one that suited it would be cheap relief.
Old 05-07-24, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 209 Posts
I don't think the OP is being unreasonable wanting to understand this. The groupeset, saddle etc, should be pretty consistent. So, it really comes down to the frame. I think it unlikely the frame is almost 1 lb heavier than expected. I think the OP could get to the bottom of this, and that will be they will understand the reason for the difference, such as scale accuracy, this that or the other accessory they should exclude.

In other words, the bike is probably not 1 lb overweight, just that the OP will learn why their bike, as weighed, is different then what Trek specs. This may make the OP sleep better and I don't fault them for that at all. But in the end, it probably is not a defectively overweight bike.

So, go down the rabbit hole, and I suspect you will come out relaxed in the knowledge your bike is fine and then go enjoy the nice bike. I have a Domane SLR 7 Gen 4 and absolutely love it. I'm sure I'd love an SL 5 as well. I have an SL 5 Trek Checkpoint, nice bike. But I upgraded to Di2 (love it), so it is more or less an SL 7 now.

On your Domane, I can't recommend Continental GP 5000 S TR tires strong enough. These will make much more difference that 1 lb in extra weight.

I know the OP has concerns about having received their money's worth on the bike. Do what you need to do to set your mind at ease. Then enjoy your great new bike.
Old 05-07-24, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4584 Post(s)
Liked 1,730 Times in 1,133 Posts
Why not contact Trek and point out how much extra they charge for weight loss, and how overweight your bike is?

At the very least you might get some free stuff.
Old 05-09-24, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7111 Post(s)
Liked 11,248 Times in 4,804 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
WAt the very least you might get some free stuff.
Yeah, but that stuff would just weigh him down even more.
Old 05-09-24, 05:45 PM

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Endurace 7 CF Di2, 1982 Trek 957 (retro), 80s Trek 710 (retro), 1995 Trek 930 MTB (singlespeed), Surly LHT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Did you remove the reflectors and dork disc? Those probably account for 150 grams.
Old 05-11-24, 07:05 AM

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 447 Posts
The SL 5 is a relatively cheap model. They always come with heavy wheels. A swap to some BTLOS carbon wheels for around $800 might save you a few seconds on your next ride. The Domane isn't a racing bike. It's made for an upright position that slows you down, but makes for more comfort.

My new Cervelo Rouvida with BTLOS hookless carbon rims weighs about 28 pounds. At most, it takes 20 watts more to get it up a 13% grade. With a 250 watt motor, I don't worry about it. I limit the power to 100 watts.

​​​​​
​​​
Old 05-11-24, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4593 Post(s)
Liked 5,137 Times in 3,174 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
The SL 5 is a relatively cheap model. They always come with heavy wheels. A swap to some BTLOS carbon wheels for around $800 might save you a few seconds on your next ride. The Domane isn't a racing bike. It's made for an upright position that slows you down, but makes for more comfort.

My new Cervelo Rouvida with BTLOS hookless carbon rims weighs about 28 pounds. At most, it takes 20 watts more to get it up a 13% grade. With a 250 watt motor, I don't worry about it. I limit the power to 100 watts.

​​​​​
​​​
I think this misses the point though ie it was apparently heavier than advertised.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-11-24, 03:27 PM

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I think this misses the point though ie it was apparently heavier than advertised.
You can't trust everything you read. I pay no attention to advertised weights. I never buy a bike for it's weight. I buy frames and build them up. Once again, there may be a difference between what's advertised and received. If it's a $6000 ultra light frame and it's 100 grams over, send it back.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old 05-11-24, 03:41 PM

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,103 Times in 1,978 Posts
if the point of purchase is about weight & it is not to spec prior to & immediately after purchase, toss it back for a refund.
Old 05-11-24, 06:57 PM

You can't trust everything you read. I pay no attention to advertised weights. I never buy a bike for it's weight. I buy frames and build them up. Once again, there may be a difference between what's advertised and received. If it's a $6000 ultra light frame and it's 100 grams over, send it back.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
I don’t pay much attention to weights either. At any given price point there isn’t much in it between bikes of the same type. The Domane is pretty well known to be on the heavy side for its class, but weight is not really a key selling point for that bike.

If I was buying something like an S-Works Aethos then I would expect the weight to be right on the money, given that it’s a major selling feature of that bike. But I wouldn’t be too fussed about the weight of a relatively low spec Domane. Still, it’s a bit slack of Trek to be that far out, assuming the measured weight was accurate.
Old 05-11-24, 09:18 PM

I don’t pay much attention to weights either. At any given price point there isn’t much in it between bikes of the same type. The Domane is pretty well known to be on the heavy side for its class, but weight is not really a key selling point for that bike.

If I was buying something like an S-Works Aethos then I would expect the weight to be right on the money, given that it’s a major selling feature of that bike. But I wouldn’t be too fussed about the weight of a relatively low spec Domane. Still, it’s a bit slack of Trek to be that far out, assuming the measured weight was accurate.
If you have already made a tradeoff in weight for some other feature, why would anyone be content with a somewhat heavy bike being much heavier?

Trek could market this bike as something that makes weight immaterial - but they chose to advertise a weight.
Old 05-12-24, 05:44 AM
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3783 Post(s)
Liked 5,771 Times in 2,911 Posts

​​​​​
​​​
Pondering why someone would buy after market wheels for a motorized bike. Aesthetics maybe?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-12-24, 08:55 AM

If you have already made a tradeoff in weight for some other feature, why would anyone be content with a somewhat heavy bike being much heavier?

Trek could market this bike as something that makes weight immaterial - but they chose to advertise a weight.
I don’t think Trek has any good excuse for advertising this bike 1 lb underweight (if actually true) but I wouldn’t stress over it if I was in the market for this type of bike. I haven’t even bothered to weigh my own Canyon Endurace, but I know it will be in line with other similar bikes with the same level of build.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-12-24, 09:43 AM

I don’t think Trek has any good excuse for advertising this bike 1 lb underweight (if actually true) but I wouldn’t stress over it if I was in the market for this type of bike. I haven’t even bothered to weigh my own Canyon Endurace, but I know it will be in line with other similar bikes with the same level of build.
Not to sound too dramatic, but which advertising lies would you stress over? Bike companies make all sorts of claims about the engineering and safety of their products, which ones are okay for them to get wrong?

I just think its a little strange that an error of well over a pound (actual weight plus 50cm size bike), when the product Trek makes is less than 5 pounds total for frame module. Everything else is off the shelf. Even if they accidentally got a squirrel stuck in the downtube, that would be less than half a pound additional weight. The OP's bike has the equivalent of an extra front wheel hiding in it.
Old 05-12-24, 09:55 AM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 469 Posts
As noted, no excuse... I also haven't weighed a bike in quite some years... In fact my daily rider '09 Spec Tarmac Expert, I had never weighed. I bought it after 'retiring' my '03 Sworks Tarmac, not expecting it to be more than close in weight; so I was surprised a week ago to find it weighed just 17.6 lbs, with pedals ... Expected about 1 lb more.
But for any manufacturer to present a NEW carbon road bike at close to 21 lbs these days, without pedals, especially a supposed 'measured std' (by them) 56 is as weighty as a 70's Columbus SP 58... (without pedals...) is completely unaware of customer expectations and available competition.
Shimano 105 aside (which isn;t a penalty at all). The rest of the bike parts could easily be put onto a bike you'd expect to pay $1K or less.
Yes 1 lb.+ is not a huge deal, especially if your own weight has some heft. But that 1+ lb On The Bike, can and does often have a big effect on how the bike rides and feels. Something which became apparent on a longer ride than just up and down a street...
Ok, you can always upgrade... but when you consider much of the weight is in the frame - upgrading seems chasing 'un-obtainium'...
Yes, many of us riders have our 'affectations', certain I do; but in the end it comes down to the bike performance (to include intended use) and how the bike works for you... if the bike fails to meet that, then I wouldn;t hesitate to look elsewhere for a batter match... Bikes may weigh a few ounces + or -, from equivalent part replacement, but 1 lb these days, poor manufacturer honestly.
Ride On
Yuri
Old 05-12-24, 10:50 AM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4015 Post(s)
Liked 7,524 Times in 3,028 Posts
Anything is possible. It was a Park Tool DS-1 scale and probably more accurate than any scale that I have access to. I did consider and cannot rule out the possibility that the mechanic forgot to zero the scale.

I do have a photo of the weight readout so I am certain that I am not mistaken about the scale weight.

Judging from the comments I’m getting, being .95 pounds over the claimed weight is unusual?
Was the scale clamped in a bike stand or hand held?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-12-24, 11:39 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 1,547 Times in 1,014 Posts
Not to sound too dramatic, but which advertising lies would you stress over? Bike companies make all sorts of claims about the engineering and safety of their products, which ones are okay for them to get wrong?

I just think its a little strange that an error of well over a pound (actual weight plus 50cm size bike), when the product Trek makes is less than 5 pounds total for frame module. Everything else is off the shelf. Even if they accidentally got a squirrel stuck in the downtube, that would be less than half a pound additional weight. The OP's bike has the equivalent of an extra front wheel hiding in it.
Well, you could ask, what claims (implied or otherwise) are being made that justify the $1700 upcharge for a Domane SLR vs SL? I'd hazard that most people would think that at least some of that premium is to get a lower weight (although it's only 1/2 lb) bike.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 05-12-24, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Well, you could ask, what claims (implied or otherwise) are being made that justify the $1700 upcharge for a Domane SLR vs SL? I'd hazard that most people would think that at least some of that premium is to get a lower weight (although it's only 1/2 lb) bike.
At that price per pound, Trek owes the OP $3500!
Old 05-12-24, 12:50 PM

I wouldn’t stress over any advertising claims. I didn’t say it was okay for Trek to get the weight that far wrong. If a bike manufacturer lists weight for a specific spec then it should be correct. But if I was in the market for a Domane I’m just saying I wouldn’t be worried about weight.

Like you say, a pound overweight is a relatively large error, so I’m still sceptical that it is genuine. Does this mean that all Domane specs are listed a pound underweight, or is this just an isolated error with this spec?

As for advertising “lies” I do think you are being a bit dramatic. It’s not like Trek are making any big claims about the Domane weight. This is just small print on a spec sheet. If it is inaccurate then it doesn’t look good, but It wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me.
Old 05-12-24, 01:09 PM

I wouldn’t stress over any advertising claims. I didn’t say it was okay for Trek to get the weight that far wrong. If a bike manufacturer lists weight for a specific spec then it should be correct. But if I was in the market for a Domane I’m just saying I wouldn’t be worried about weight.

Like you say, a pound overweight is a relatively large error, so I’m still sceptical that it is genuine. Does this mean that all Domane specs are listed a pound underweight, or is this just an isolated error with this spec?

As for advertising “lies” I do think you are being a bit dramatic. It’s not like Trek are making any big claims about the Domane weight. This is just small print on a spec sheet. If it is inaccurate then it doesn’t look good, but It wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me.
I'm not concerned that they marketed the weight heavily. I just want to know how a computer based product could have an error of this magnitude. It isn't like its just a typo - the weight fits into the other advertised weights in the line. I'm really just fascinated how this could be just a screw up rather than knowing deception.

And if it is a knowing deception, what else is?
Likes For Kontact:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.