Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Minimum touring gear and skills for remote roads

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Minimum touring gear and skills for remote roads

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-15, 08:04 AM

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The be all end all device I carry is my PLB, or Personal Locator Beacon. I hope to never need it, but...if it becomes life or death I will. On the other gear note it really mostly turns into a decision on comfort. You can sleep on the ground if you have no tent for example, unless you are in conditions where you may get hypothermia.
Old 09-16-15, 08:09 AM

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbud
Animals:
Every black bear and cougar I have ever seen was running away from me and they almost always saw me before I saw them. I wouldn't worry too much about them, but I understand the wisdom in being prepared. If there's an issue where you'll be riding, check to see if any precautions are recommended.

Mechanical Beakdown:
If you're cycling alone and there's a chance you won't run into anyone else for days, a more extensive list of tools makes sense (Like spare spokes and such). Usually that won't be the case and you can flag down a motorist within a few hours. The more remote the location, the more likely the motorist will stop to help. Then again, you'll be touring and have all your camping gear and food with you so as long as you're not seriously hurt the situation won't be too dire. Sometimes, you learn to be creative to keep going like turning your bike into a single speed until you can ride somewhere to get a new derailleur. I once needed a new wheel 150 miles from a bike shop so I had one FedEx'd to me in the town I was in.

Injury/ Health Emergency:
I started bringing one of these with me after I broke my leg skiing one winter far from help. SPOT provides a pretty neat service. Mine is one of the first models and my service costs me $100 a year. It's a really slick way for me to let my wife and others where I am and that I'm okay. I can use it to send a pre-written text or e-mail to my wife or buddies for help. I can also push the SOS emergency button and SPOT will contact the appropriate rescue services for my location and give them the coordinates of my signal.

Have fun and go for it! I encourage you to see if you can talk a buddy or two in going with you. It's fun going alone, but it can be fun going with others too.
I don't want to start a SPOT vs. PLB battle, but I understand that the SPOt uses 2 watts and PLBs use 5, for much better cloud penetration. Also, the PLBs go directly to the Search and Rescue teams and not go through a third party first.
Old 09-16-15, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1258 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by Ridefreemc
I don't want to start a SPOT vs. PLB battle, but I understand that the SPOt uses 2 watts and PLBs use 5, for much better cloud penetration. Also, the PLBs go directly to the Search and Rescue teams and not go through a third party first.
They do have pretty different modes of operation which mean they tend to serve different purposes (with some overlap). The PLB's avoid subscription costs, while the Spot you pay for the service, not just the device. You can run up some really big fees if you actually have search and rescue called out.

Just me, but I find both unnecessary and choose to avoid them. I'd consider a Spot for blue water sailing, but for bike touring or even remote backpacking, I'll pass.

That said, I can see where some might want to spring for one or the other device especially if they want to appease family members who worry about them.
Old 09-16-15, 11:29 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2752 Post(s)
Liked 981 Times in 802 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
They do have pretty different modes of operation which mean they tend to serve different purposes (with some overlap). The PLB's avoid subscription costs, while the Spot you pay for the service, not just the device. You can run up some really big fees if you actually have search and rescue called out.
interesting about the differences between the two things (dont know anything about them) but your comment about search and rescue fees is certainly valid. I do know that most definitely if a helicopter is called in, you are looking at a fee of somewhere around 3, 4, 5000 dollars minimum. Someone I know had this experience in B.C over 20 years ago and the bill was about 3500 I believe, so its reasonable that it would be much higher today.
Old 09-16-15, 01:44 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1

Just me, but I find both unnecessary and choose to avoid them. I'd consider a Spot for blue water sailing, but for bike touring or even remote backpacking, I'll pass.

That said, I can see where some might want to spring for one or the other device especially if they want to appease family members who worry about them.
Mine gets multiple terrain duty, as I am alone in the Everglades often (and out in the Gulf of Mexico) - and I do much of my hiking alone. As far as bicycle tours I would not bring it, unless I was very very remote.
Old 09-16-15, 01:54 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
interesting about the differences between the two things (dont know anything about them) but your comment about search and rescue fees is certainly valid. I do know that most definitely if a helicopter is called in, you are looking at a fee of somewhere around 3, 4, 5000 dollars minimum. Someone I know had this experience in B.C over 20 years ago and the bill was about 3500 I believe, so its reasonable that it would be much higher today.
In the US life and death situations get a pass on the fees. If you are goofing off, maybe not so much.
Old 09-16-15, 02:16 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2752 Post(s)
Liked 981 Times in 802 Posts
Originally Posted by Ridefreemc
In the US life and death situations get a pass on the fees. If you are goofing off, maybe not so much.
this specific case wasnt goofing off but in the end it wasnt life and death, but was a situation where the person couldnt get down off a mountain trail on their own due to illness and a slight injury.
I don't really know the fees rules here, and may vary from region to region, or a case by case thing (decided by someone in the loop of the specific incident, response people or whatnot--but an assumption on my part, dont really have the real facts)
Old 09-16-15, 06:06 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
Thanks - if I make it to Blue Lake in 2016 or 2017 I will send you a picture!