Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Is a Rivendell Sam Hillborne a good choice for me?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Is a Rivendell Sam Hillborne a good choice for me?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-12, 11:34 AM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Although I agree with much of the Rivendell philosophy, I find much of their business decisions baffling. They have started offering their frames in only a few sizes, with wide differences between them, so achieving proper fit could be a challenge. On top of that, almost every Rivendell frame I have ever considered has a relatively long top tube (too much for my proper fit), so that makes the limited sizing even more of a challenge. They also have quit posting geometry charts on their website, so it's almost impossible to do determine the fit without calling and talking to them.

If you want a frame consistent with the basic Rivendell philosophy (eg, higher head tube, comfort over stiffness, room for larger tires, mounts for fenders and racks), check out the Salsa Casseroll. You can buy a Casseroll frame and fork with a front rack included for about $500 or a complete bike for about the cost of Riv's cheapest frame. The Casseroll has everything that the Rivendell frames do except it comes in a wide range of sizes (1 cm apart). If the Casseroll's head tube isn't long enough for you, there probably isn't a production frame that is. I have owned a Casseroll for the past year as my primary commuter, and I've ridden over 3,000 miles on it commuting, touring and recreational riding. It is a very comfortable riding bike, the geometry allows you to easily raise the handlebars high, and has room for tires and fenders.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
casseroll - commute.jpg (58.7 KB, 23 views)
salsa casseroll CX.jpg (71.1 KB, 22 views)
package.jpg (80.1 KB, 24 views)
Old 03-15-12, 12:29 PM

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Hangtownmatt
I somewhat disagree with two posts above. Both the Sam Hillborne and Betty Foy frames cost well below custom steel. For example, the frames cost $1,050 each, not $2,000 and included fork, headset, bottom bracket, and frame saver treatment with ample customer service and test rides to ensure the best possible fit. A custom frame/fork from my local builder would have cost me $2,500. That would have been worth every penny to have gotten the right fit, but for me anyway, I was able to find that on the Hillborne. And, I can still get all fussy about parts and customize my bicycle anyway I want to make it uniquely mine. I came home with only a frame.

I'd also like to suggest that Grant Petersen may know a bit more about frame design and fit than many, if not most, local frame builders.

Matt

I was looking at the Hilsen frame that is 2k and the HIlborne frame is 1050. I am sure that Mr. Petersen is very knowledgeable about frames, but if you have a special fit issue, then for less than 2k you can get a custom frame that directly addresses those issues. There are many examples of <2k frames, but one fellow near me builds a custom Randonneur frame for 1900 Tallerico Fillet-brazed Randonneur - $1,900.00

Tarwheel's suggestions of checking out the Casserol or maybe the Long Haul Trucker might also be worth it.

Last edited by metalheart44; 03-15-12 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-15-12, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metalheart44
I was looking at the Hilsen frame that is 2k and the HIlborne frame is 1050. I am sure that Mr. Petersen is very knowledgeable about frames, but if you have a special fit issue, then for less than 2k you can get a custom frame that directly addresses those issues. There are many examples of <2k frames, but one fellow near me builds a custom Randonneur frame for 1900 Tallerico Fillet-brazed Randonneur - $1,900.00
Metalheart, which builder are you talking about? I ask because I live in the Sierra Foothills also.; right around Placerville. Hence the profile name HangtownMatt.
Old 03-16-12, 09:30 AM

Bikes: 2005 Bike Friday NWT, Bacchetta Giro 26, 2019 Titanium Bilenky Midlands

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Metalheart, which builder are you talking about? I ask because I live in the Sierra Foothills also.; right around Placerville. Hence the profile name HangtownMatt.
He seems to be talking about Tallerico Custom-Made Bicycles
Old 03-16-12, 11:35 AM

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Hi Matt,
Georgebaby is right, it is John Tallerico. I have a friend who is in Lodi today getting fitted for a road steel frame. I saw Tallarico's work at NAHBS and it seems he does good work. His frames seem reasonable for a custom, but still it is more than a stock Hillborne.
I live near Rescue.
JR
Old 03-16-12, 11:35 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Without questioning Grant's business sense, I'll second tarwheel's recommendation of the Salsa Casseroll. Mine is the older version with caliper brakes instead of the new version's cantilevers, but it still has room to run 35mm tires or 38mm with fenders. The Casseroll frame is a good foundation for a very nice BOBish* bike on a budget. The All-City Space Horse is another good candidate.

* Before Rivendell, Grant Petersen was the top USA honcho at Bridgestone and started the Bridgestone Owner's Bunch (BOB) around the time of Bridgestone's demise. The BOB Gazette newsletter was where much of the Rivendell philosophy was first shared and bikes fitting his concepts became known as "BOBish" bikes. BOB eventually became Rivendell.
Old 03-19-12, 09:46 AM

Bikes: Roubaix Comp Triple

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I pulled the trigger! Got San Marcos! (Rivendell design.)

Thanks so much for all of your input. It was truly helpful in making a decision. I was actually going to wait to get in a few more rides in before posting this, but since several of you have been kind enough to add additional thoughts let me tell you what happened.

I did push the Specialized Roubaix as far as I knew how. Finally got the bars about 1 cm above the saddle, but was still not totally happy. (I'm sure N+1 was a factor.)

From the Rivendell web site I found the Riv dealers list and started talking to Dick Denning at the Country Bike Shop in Celina, OH. (Closest dealer to me here in Memphis.) Initially I thought I might drive there (10 hours) and ride a Rivendell.

The clincher in my decision to Riv-up was when I asked Dick how much difference the comfort level would be between my Roubaix and a Rivendell. His response was, "You'll be amazed."

Dick spent a lot of time with me via phone and email: measurements, preferences, age, weight, etc. (I think he knows more about me now than CIA does.) The interaction with him was amazing. He was really zeroed in on making sure the bike was going to be right for me.

Dick and I met on the road last Sunday in Bowling Green, KY where he delivered and fitted the bike. I can't say enough good things about Dick (and his dad who came with him.) The fitting and personal contact was a wonderful experience in itself. My wife came with me and was enthused by their graciousness and expertise.

Here are some pics of the bike and fitting:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/5185717...629209094990/#

I'll post more later, but for now let me just say that Dick was not exaggerating at all. I am totally amazed at the comfort difference in the Roubaix and the San Marcos. And even though it is several pounds heavier than the carbon frame Roubaix it feels much lighter and agile on the road.

Back to work. More later. Thanks!

Last edited by PatKendall; 03-19-12 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-19-12, 10:33 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I didn't know that Soma and Rivendell were teaming up on a project. I bet that will be a sweet bike! Congratulations.