ARBT speed limit enforcement

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-13, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LocoCycle
so any updates on the Rangers and where they typically are? I am not ridden out there in awhile...was on vacation etc. But I am planning on riding out from Disco Park to about the 20 mile marker and back....

I was just wondering that yesterday. I commute from about the 20 mile marker to the 10 mile marker a couple of times a week. No signs of rangers with LIDAR yet.

Has anyone been ticketed? I go back and forth between outrage, and wanting one to frame and hang on the wall (only if they write me up for 25+ mph though).
Old 08-15-13, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haven't seen any at all in the last few weeks.

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 08-15-13, 02:13 PM

Bikes: 2010 Marin Lucas Valley

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so the other question is this? Back earlier in this thread someone said they saw Rangers out there around the 14 mile marker...so were they out there on foot...bicycle......car? Or Motorcycle...like a dual purpose motorcycle? The reason I saw that...is late June...I took a ride through the whole trail...down by disco Park...a ranger was on a Dual Sport motorcycle on the trail...roosting homeless people. I just want to know what I am looking for?
Old 08-15-13, 04:17 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Was out there yesterday morning between Disco and Watt and saw some rangers in a truck but they seemed to be in clean-up/repair work and did not have LIDAR nor seem particularly interested in how fast I was going.
Old 08-15-13, 05:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so the other question is this? Back earlier in this thread someone said they saw Rangers out there around the 14 mile marker...so were they out there on foot...bicycle......car? Or Motorcycle...like a dual purpose motorcycle? The reason I saw that...is late June...I took a ride through the whole trail...down by disco Park...a ranger was on a Dual Sport motorcycle on the trail...roosting homeless people. I just want to know what I am looking for?
The report I heard was a motorbike and an SUV.

Old 08-15-13, 09:01 PM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The way to deal with this is simple. Do laps up Hazel. Aquatic center to Sunset, let's say. Since that bike lane is not safe the law allows you to TAKE THE LANE. If a few clubs were to do this often enough then people would complain. The you say "This is what the rangers said to do!" Give out the rangers office number for complaints. That would promote an interesting conversation.
Old 08-19-13, 06:33 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so any updates on the Rangers and where they typically are? I am not ridden out there in awhile...was on vacation etc. But I am planning on riding out from Disco Park to about the 20 mile marker and back....
I've ridden on the trail quite a bit lately and haven't seen them at all.
Old 08-19-13, 06:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The two times I saw them with the LiDAR they were near the 14 mile marker and parked there with an SUV and he was standing on the side of the path targeting cyclists headed east (coming off the bridge at Geothe Park). I was pulled over and lectured, but didn't get a ticket. The "it's for the children and wildlife and I'm being generous by only giving you a warning today" speech really ticked me off.
Old 08-19-13, 08:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bornonthefourth
The two times I saw them with the LiDAR they were near the 14 mile marker and parked there with an SUV and he was standing on the side of the path targeting cyclists headed east (coming off the bridge at Geothe Park). I was pulled over and lectured, but didn't get a ticket. The "it's for the children and wildlife and I'm being generous by only giving you a warning today" speech really ticked me off.

Thanks for the info. So it sounds pretty standard...when they are out there they are around the 14 mile marker. And that makes the most sense...easy access to the trail. And you are more than likely to break the 15mph limit going down that small hill.

I was out there Saturday morning...7am to about 10am. Disco Park to mile marker 19 and back. No rangers insight...but man there was a TON of runners...in small pods of 10 or so...about every 1/2 mile or so...on both sides of the trail at times.
Old 08-19-13, 08:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. So it sounds pretty standard...when they are out there they are around the 14 mile marker. And that makes the most sense...easy access to the trail. And you are more than likely to break the 15mph limit going down that small hill.

I was out there Saturday morning...7am to about 10am. Disco Park to mile marker 19 and back. No rangers insight...but man there was a TON of runners...in small pods of 10 or so...about every 1/2 mile or so...on both sides of the trail at times.
Those are the commercial running groups that go out on Saturday mornings and they do make the trail crowded when they are on both sides. A co-worker runs with one of the groups and said they give instructions and drill on etiquette. Some groups have been fine, but some do take up the paved part of the path.
Old 08-19-13, 09:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah....I knew that....have seen them plenty of times. But this time....it was like an Army...they were very aware and communicated well....jsut a lot of them. Then I also think the Kaiser had something going on...a bunch of people with Kaiserr T-shirts on. There just were a lot of people out early.
Old 08-19-13, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
I typically start at Discovery Park and I'll either head out to Davis or cruise over towards Watt Ave and back. On the Discovery Park side of things I've not seen any enforcement of speed. My current level of fitness has been in the 14-16 cruise range and I'm routinely smoked by solos and pairs. It's also usually pretty quiet on this end of the trail, on Saturday morning (9:30 AM) it was surprisingly quiet. I saw more people on West Capitol Ave then I did on the trail.

A few times I've started off Sunrise and road towards Watt and that area of the trail is much busier. In three trips out over there I routinely have been cut off, yelled at and witnessed multiple wrecks. I don't know if it's the rolling hills in a few sections or the exposed areas that cause people to behave differently. Considering how many tight turns there are between Discovery and Howe Ave, I couldn't imagine those same corners (a few of them blind) with the volume of people by the Sunrise boat launch area.
Old 08-20-13, 09:07 AM
eay

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My husband and I ride on the trail at least once a week, on Wednesday afternoons or weekend days. We have seen neither hide nor hair of rangers with LIDAR.
We ride about 13-14mph and for the last month the trail has been back to 'normal', being passed by much faster individuals and small groups. I have not seen any huge fast pacelines, but then I rarely see them at the times I ride.
Old 08-20-13, 11:17 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Good reminder on the running groups. There will be quite a few of them as they get into fall marathon season. One more reason to avoid the ARBT on Saturday mornings.
Old 08-20-13, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I was out there on Saturday in the afternoon to enjoy the 105 degree temps. Arden to the very end past the white gate where it becomes gravel and back for my 40 mile ride. No sightings, not many runners either.
Old 08-20-13, 01:57 PM
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Bostic
I was out there on Saturday in the afternoon to enjoy the 105 degree temps. Arden to the very end past the white gate where it becomes gravel and back for my 40 mile ride. No sightings, not many runners either.
I wonder why...
Old 08-24-13, 10:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was out there this morning, around 9:30 from Watt. I was surprised that there were less people were out—no running groups and fewer cyclists. Maybe kids being in school makes a difference?
Old 08-26-13, 07:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bornonthefourth
I was out there this morning, around 9:30 from Watt. I was surprised that there were less people were out—no running groups and fewer cyclists. Maybe kids being in school makes a difference?
I went from my house in Folsom...to Winters...1st part down the bike trail. Started...700am....we made it to the disco park about 815am. But around the 14 mile marker in both directions...there were a ton of runners....Team in Training had a huge group....so I think you missed the whole lot.

No Rangers in site....was great weather for riding this last weekend!
Old 09-01-13, 03:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This afternoon on the way home from our ride, we were followed for about a mile by a ranger on a motorbike. I don't know if he used his laser gun on us first or not, but we slowed down.

Old 09-01-13, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
There was a fire at the Del Paso intersection so there were numerous motorcycle-based patrols in that area.

I too noticed multiple motorcycle-based rangers between marker 14-20.

The ratio of walkers/runners to bikes was about 15-to-1 this morning and 1-to-12 by the time I made my way back to Discovery @ 9:30 AM.
Old 10-05-13, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I switched back to ARBT last week for my Folsom-Sacto commute. Any sign of speed enforcement out there ... or are we back to business as usual?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0778.jpg (100.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 10-07-13, 06:16 PM
eay

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My husband and I continue to ride the trail most Wednesday afternoons and once on weekends. No ranger/LIDAR sightings and we are getting passed by many riders quite fast (we cruise along at 12-13mph or so).
Old 10-07-13, 06:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haven't seen any in quite a while.

Old 10-07-13, 07:21 PM

That's good to know. Thanks.