Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Northeast Racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-15, 09:12 AM
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Dieter really does put on great races. And as to the prereg and cancelation thing, they always seem to be canceled at very respectful intervals and in this case I'm certain the money is refunded.

If promoters benefit from day off I'm not clear on why they don't band together and close registration at a set interval prior to an event, eliminate day to force folks to commit (I'm certain they will --> I would). But given the option, particularly in tumultuous weather I'm waiting and seeing…and in the case of something like Grant's Tomb that goes way out of line fee-wise I'll choose the available other option (branchbrook, bethel, south jersey). If they all closed two weeks prior I'd be registered for something, or not racing.
Old 03-31-15, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
OK. I can certainly appreciate that putting on a big race involves a lot of costs and if at some point you think the whole venture is a certain money loser, you need to stop throwing good money after bad and cancel, even though that will inevitably upset people. The last straw might be low preregistration, or some unexpected new cost like you are describing, or whatever.

Personally I'm more interested in your take on the generalities that were talked about earlier. CDR, who promotes a lot of races though nothing on the scale of Battenkill, said that bikereg sees most preregistration occurring on the last day, long after most of the costs are committed. That dynamic may be different for a big destination-type event, but if the overall trend is true -- that participants prefer to wait until the last minute to commit -- then the decision to hold an event will always be a leap of faith, because you don't have any guarantee of income until it's too late to cut your losses.

But the leap of faith works both ways. Racers are more hesitant to commit to preregistering for a race that has a history of getting canceled (Hunter, Longsjo), or where the format is still up in the air after preregistration is open (Catskills). It can create a sort of bad feedback loop where the racers and the promoter are each waiting for the other to commit first.

For context, I've done just about every race that you have promoted in the past few years, and I've almost always had a positive experience. I think that you provide a good product. Any big venture with lots of moving parts will provide many different experiences to the participants, so even when the experience has been less than positive, I understand why. But having said that, I am unlikely to preregister early for whatever the current iteration of the Hunter race is, or Catskills, because it makes sense to wait to see if the race is likely to happen, or what the format will be.

[edit to add: my baseline preference is always going to be whatever increases the likelihood of good races occurring within 100 miles of me. My happiness depends on promoters putting on races and having it be worth the trouble to them.]
Good analysis and thanks for coming to the events. 'Much appreciated!

I think most racers don't appreciate the risk that a club or promoter takes on with a road cycling event. The liability alone should make people pause. The financial risk is huge and - with sponsorship going to near-zero in cycling over the last 3 years - it's greater than ever and increasing every day. Throw in the trend to register based on weather or just because you are waiting for fitness and it's a wonder we have any races at all. If it's a road race with a single loop like Battenkill, then the commitment to police, EMS, staff, and volunteer groups are dedicated long in advance and are not people you can cancel very easily and hope to retain their services in the future... There is no modularity: it's either all or nothing many months in advance and the risk on costs are extremely high: venues, police, insurance, signage, USAC fees, etc. We've had to downsize considerably as a result and keep things much closer to home as well as adding gran fondos embedded into Battenkill and Catskills to attract a larger crowd. Cycling is changing. I imagine if USAC were honest about it, that they'd tell you annual license sales were sharply down.

Predicting when racers will register and why is impossible.

That said, we have dialed in both Greene Co (formerly Hunter, now on the TOC Stage 2 course, only a summer race in June) and Catskills (back to a stage race). We've also added a Crit in Glens Falls in July, a gravel grinder in August, and some non-competitive rides in the fall. It should be a good season.

Thanks.
Old 03-31-15, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
Still considering it, despite a bruised ego from Sunday lol
My ego has been bruised for the past 4 seasons :-) Ninigret is a great course, you should try to check it out if you're able.
Old 03-31-15, 11:01 AM

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DieterDrake
Good analysis and thanks for coming to the events. 'Much appreciated!

I think most racers don't appreciate the risk that a club or promoter takes on with a road cycling event. The liability alone should make people pause. The financial risk is huge and - with sponsorship going to near-zero in cycling over the last 3 years - it's greater than ever and increasing every day. Throw in the trend to register based on weather or just because you are waiting for fitness and it's a wonder we have any races at all. If it's a road race with a single loop like Battenkill, then the commitment to police, EMS, staff, and volunteer groups are dedicated long in advance and are not people you can cancel very easily and hope to retain their services in the future... There is no modularity: it's either all or nothing many months in advance and the risk on costs are extremely high: venues, police, insurance, signage, USAC fees, etc. We've had to downsize considerably as a result and keep things much closer to home as well as adding gran fondos embedded into Battenkill and Catskills to attract a larger crowd. Cycling is changing. I imagine if USAC were honest about it, that they'd tell you annual license sales were sharply down.

Predicting when racers will register and why is impossible.

That said, we have dialed in both Greene Co (formerly Hunter, now on the TOC Stage 2 course, only a summer race in June) and Catskills (back to a stage race). We've also added a Crit in Glens Falls in July, a gravel grinder in August, and some non-competitive rides in the fall. It should be a good season.

Thanks.
FYI, I am on the race committee for the Tour of the Hilltowns and I am also a USAC official. I get to see and participate in all of the behind the scenes work that races and racers demand. So I get where you are coming from. Deservedly or not, your races other than Battenkill have gotten a reputation of potentially being cancelled at the last minute due to low turnout. Every promoter has to take risks with the funds they have available. Some are wiling to hold out, some are not. Preregistration is what it is. You cannot influence it except to adopt the sliding scale tactics that CRCA is known for. So it has to be about risk. I think where you could improve is to refrain from posting races on Bikereg without the majority of the funding and details in place. I, for one, would rather not see a race on the calendar that has a high probability of cancellation. I'd rather plan around it. This is what many other promoters do. Let the LA coordinator hold the date for you and be done with it until it is really ready.

As for the Longsjo Foundation, I don't understand your perspective as the foundation has existed for many years. We don't have to drag them through the mud here, though.

I really appreciate your participation here.
Old 03-31-15, 12:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
FYI, I am on the race committee for the Tour of the Hilltowns and I am also a USAC official. I get to see and participate in all of the behind the scenes work that races and racers demand. So I get where you are coming from. Deservedly or not, your races other than Battenkill have gotten a reputation of potentially being cancelled at the last minute due to low turnout. Every promoter has to take risks with the funds they have available. Some are wiling to hold out, some are not. Preregistration is what it is. You cannot influence it except to adopt the sliding scale tactics that CRCA is known for. So it has to be about risk. I think where you could improve is to refrain from posting races on Bikereg without the majority of the funding and details in place. I, for one, would rather not see a race on the calendar that has a high probability of cancellation. I'd rather plan around it. This is what many other promoters do. Let the LA coordinator hold the date for you and be done with it until it is really ready.

As for the Longsjo Foundation, I don't understand your perspective as the foundation has existed for many years. We don't have to drag them through the mud here, though.

I really appreciate your participation here.
The cancelation of the Crit series in 2013 was somewhat related to the Longsjo cancelation as Worcester was a stop and the negativity surrounding Fitchburg was significant. Danbury was also a stop. I don't think we've canceled any major events since (maybe Hunter Fall).

In any case, we tend to put on large events and the scale as compared to a CRCA event (or even Hilltowns) is much different. Regardless, the LA calendar is only a formality in the Northeast. Bikereg is the default calendar. There is no date protection - not in NY at least - though we do coordinate as much as possible. That said, we are a business and we compete for riders who are increasingly discerning about which events to enter; they may decide to do one event over the other, even if they're on different weekends. Expendable income is vastly different vs. only a few years ago, and overall participation numbers reflect that. GMSR once had 1000 riders (x 4 days), for example. Battenkill had 3400 in 2013. GMSR is down 350-400 from that and Battenkill is down a similar percentage. Finding a good spot on the calendar is important, even if only a placeholder while the details get worked out. We're certainly not the only people that do that.

When the original Longsjo race changed hands to the Longsjo family in 2012, not much transfered. The old foundation/club disbanded, as I understand it, and we started from scratch. I think the intent with was to form a registered 501c3. (that's what I was told anyway), but it never happened. It may have since, I don't know. I did not have confidence at the time that it would ever happen, however.

Last edited by DieterDrake; 03-31-15 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-31-15, 09:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry Deiter your scale argument doesn't hold water. Battenkill is Battenkill. There is nothing else like it in the Northeast. Stage races aren't as common as they used to be and you are a player there so there's that. In the one day arena, I don't see any differentiation. Hilltowns draws between 400-500 racers in 8 categories for a one day race. All the versions of Hunter, and I don't think even Catskills draws that many. So let's leave scale out of it.

Listing a race with no info on Bikereg isn't as common as you make it out to be. Sure there are a few that do that but the vast majority wait. You do it consistently. Hell even NCC races like Thater and Mayors Cup whose dates are cast in stone before the season starts don't do that. Somerville doesn't do that. It's a choice you make. My point is that I think it hurts you more than it helps, but it's your business.
Old 04-01-15, 08:37 AM
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Bikes: Scott Addict 6870

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like Myles Standish has been moved to May. On the site they say the roads are resurfaced but I don't believe they are. Maybe they are working on that.
Old 04-01-15, 11:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@shovelhd

You seem angry.

Be well.
Old 04-01-15, 04:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not angry at all. Seriously. Just providing insight. You can choose to take it or ignore it. I appreciate your willingness to participate in the discussion.
Old 04-01-15, 04:24 PM
out walking the earth

philly or ninigret.

just don't know what to do. following the weather and chance of rain and weighing the drive.

branchbrook looks early and like it might have wet roads still.
Old 04-01-15, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^niniiiiiiiiiiiiiiigret
Old 04-01-15, 05:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
philly or ninigret.

just don't know what to do. following the weather and chance of rain and weighing the drive.

branchbrook looks early and like it might have wet roads still.
I have never raced the Navy yard. Logistically, it looks like an easier day for you once you get there. Costs and prize lists are about the same. If it's a toss-up, come race with me, although I hope to be well cooked from the M50+. We can always get dinner afterwards if you have time.
Old 04-01-15, 06:12 PM
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ninigret is 3+ hours from here, I'd think it would be the same for you? That's pretty far.
Old 04-01-15, 06:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the Navy yard wasn't so far away I would have been there for the M55+. It's just too early to make it viable.
Old 04-01-15, 07:02 PM
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by globecanvas
Ninigret is 3+ hours from here, I'd think it would be the same for you? That's pretty far.

2 1/2. I used to live in and then did business in providence so the drive is hardwired into my brain. But the wife is going to be home cleaning to get ready to get our house on the market so I'm going to need to reevaluate and choose closer to home option. I loathe 7:00 am starts, but if Branchbrook gets some play I'll do a couple races there, otherwise I'll head to the navy yard.
Old 04-01-15, 08:59 PM
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
but...Brinkerhoff?
Old 04-01-15, 09:15 PM
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm away on Saturday. Go win!
Old 04-02-15, 06:39 AM

Bikes: road and track

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
2 1/2. I used to live in and then did business in providence so the drive is hardwired into my brain. But the wife is going to be home cleaning to get ready to get our house on the market so I'm going to need to reevaluate and choose closer to home option. I loathe 7:00 am starts, but if Branchbrook gets some play I'll do a couple races there, otherwise I'll head to the navy yard.
You could always do the 123 which starts at 9am.
Old 04-02-15, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be at the A reg table again, anyone doing TBM come say hi!
Old 04-02-15, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Branchbrook. Two races and I'm home in time to enjoy my chocolate milk.

Wait... that's a different race, right?
Old 04-02-15, 07:46 AM
out walking the earth

not a lot of guys signed up for that branchbrook race?

Johnny cake? I don't know if this is a news flash or not but a three hour race isn't really the way I'd choose to spend my race time and dollars. Start it at 11:00 on a saturday and my interest wanes even further. Have my last experience there be guys breaking the yellow line rule with a K to go and I'm not likely to race there again unless it's the last available option. I appreciate some of you guys have different experiences there, but that's mine, and TKP you were in that race…just maybe not up front at the end where it happened.
Old 04-02-15, 07:51 AM
Nonsense

Yeah I dunno which year you're referring to specifically, 2013 was the last time I did them and before that was probably like 2010? It can be an... aggressive race
Old 04-02-15, 07:52 AM
out walking the earth

2013. And yeah anyway, mid day races don't interest me much. If I'm going to shoot a day in the ass I'm heading to something I have a better chance of winning.
Old 04-02-15, 07:53 AM
Nonsense

Oh, yeah the last few k were kind of absurd from what I can recall.
Old 04-02-15, 07:55 AM
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I couldn't resist looking up the results. Looks like TKP was more likely to have been one of the surgers.

*runs away*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.