Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Now that is hardcore.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Now that is hardcore.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-23, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7143 Post(s)
Liked 11,335 Times in 4,841 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Thanks. I'm surprised at how eager some people are to nit pick just the most trivial things.
You accuse people of "nit picking" when they point out the fallacies and factual errors in the very foundations of your arguments. e.g., if you're going to repeatedly insist that a term (like 'house brand') means the opposite of what it actually means, then you should expect people to correct you. You can call it nit picking, but you bring it on yourself by being (1) wrong, and (2) unable to admit that you are wrong even when confronted with facts that a ten-year old can comprehend.

Originally Posted by rsbob
It’s very common with people with poor self-esteem trying to make themselves feel better. Unfortunately that strategy only results in temporary satisfaction, since it is no substitute for having a good sense of self, so they have to repeat it over and over again. Its very similar to school yard bullies. Usually it comes from their upbringing and how they were treated as children. Now you know.
Correcting fallacies and factual errors is not bullying; it's something we need to do more often, especially in the current environment in which many prominent people just make stuff up. In fact, I'd say that it takes more self-esteem and confidence (esp in real life - maybe not so much on the internet) to tell people, to their faces and with actual data and facts, that they are wrong about something.

I haven't seen much of what I would consider actual "bullying" behavior on bf...And what little I have seen has been promptly dealt with by the mods.

Last edited by Koyote; 04-18-23 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-18-23, 02:05 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Hardcore enough for me. I liked some Clash and Billy Idol back in the day, but have to admit I'm more of a plain Jane bubblegum pop girl.

Billy Idol in a conversation about hardcore punnnk? Why that

Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-18-23, 02:11 PM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5105 Post(s)
Liked 8,417 Times in 3,974 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Billy Idol in a conversation about hardcore punnnk?
There was a time when Billy Idol was considered punk...
Old 04-18-23, 02:18 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Eric F
There was a time when Billy Idol was considered punk...
https://youtu.be/l6XRwt99O4E

But hardcore, never.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-18-23, 02:18 PM

Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, Minor Threat, Minutemen, The Damned...And about a thousand other bands that none of us remember because they traveled around in beat-up old vans, playing in tiny clubs, selling DIY cassettes and living on fast food.

Shoot, I'm not even sure that Husker Du qualifies as hard core...I mean, they actually played pretty melodies, at least sometimes.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-18-23, 02:24 PM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

But hardcore, never.
Valid. That said, for lots of folks in 1977, Gen X would have been considered pretty hard.

Opinion differ on what "punk" is. Some object to that term.
Old 04-18-23, 02:28 PM

Opinion differ on what "punk" is. Some object to that term.
Nowadays, when I listed to '70s "punk" music, a lot of it just sounds like great pop music, at least to me. I mean, Elvis Costello was called a "punk rocker" back then, but his first two or three albums are full of great little pop songs.

The stuff called 'hardcore' is entirely different, though.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-18-23, 02:31 PM
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Koyote
Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, Minor Threat, Minutemen, The Damned...And about a thousand other bands that none of us remember because they traveled around in beat-up old vans, playing in tiny clubs, selling DIY cassettes and living on fast food.

Shoot, I'm not even sure that Husker Du qualifies as hard core...I mean, they actually played pretty melodies, at least sometimes.
The Minutemen!!...So Cal legends!! I saw Mike Watt (Minutemen bass player) a couple of times in other groups. First was with fIREHOSE in about '91. Second time was Dos (Watt and Black Flag bass player, Kira Roessler) - 2 basses making strange and awesome music in a super tiny bar.
Old 04-18-23, 02:43 PM
Tragically Ignorant

I was in Minneapolis in the late 70s, early 80s. That was definitely one of the first bands to be called hardcore. Their later stuff moved away from it, though.
Old 04-18-23, 02:44 PM
Tragically Ignorant

The Minutemen!!...So Cal legends!! I saw Mike Watt (Minutemen bass player) a couple of times in other groups. First was with fIREHOSE in about '91. Second time was Dos (Watt and Black Flag bass player, Kira Roessler) - 2 basses making strange and awesome music in a super tiny bar.

Minutemen and Husker Du were labelmates on SST.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-18-23, 02:51 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Nowadays, when I listed to '70s "punk" music, a lot of it just sounds like great pop music, at least to me. I mean, Elvis Costello was called a "punk rocker" back then, but his first two or three albums are full of great little pop songs.

The stuff called 'hardcore' is entirely different, though.
Elvis Costello was never properly a punk and my memory is people would use terms like "power pop" to describe his music. I know he detested the New Wave label, and there was some attempt to market him as that in the US.

Amazingly great songwriter and excellent producer, he's responsible for a lot of other artists' best studio work.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-18-23, 03:02 PM

I was in Minneapolis in the late 70s, early 80s.
Ditto. My biggest regret is that I never saw Prince play at First Avenue. Did see some other great shows there, though.
Old 04-18-23, 04:53 PM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 6,063 Times in 3,093 Posts
You accuse people of "nit picking" when they point out the fallacies and factual errors in the very foundations of your arguments. e.g., if you're going to repeatedly insist that a term (like 'house brand') means the opposite of what it actually means, then you should expect people to correct you. You can call it nit picking, but you bring it on yourself by being (1) wrong, and (2) unable to admit that you are wrong even when confronted with facts that a ten-year old can comprehend.

Correcting fallacies and factual errors is not bullying; it's something we need to do more often, especially in the current environment in which many prominent people just make stuff up. In fact, I'd say that it takes more self-esteem and confidence (esp in real life - maybe not so much on the internet) to tell people, to their faces and with actual data and facts, that they are wrong about something.

I haven't seen much of what I would consider actual "bullying" behavior on bf...And what little I have seen has been promptly dealt with by the mods.
I was responding to ‘nit picking’ NOT factual errors. Factual errors should be challenged and corrected but in a coaching manner rather than in a derogatory manner.

Old 04-18-23, 05:08 PM
Habitual User

Originally Posted by rsbob
I was responding to ‘nit picking’ NOT factual errors. Factual errors should be challenged and corrected but in a coaching manner rather than in a derogatory manner.
Some kids are challenging to coach. Almost always, it's because the parents are a-holes.

- Former youth sports coach
Old 04-18-23, 05:13 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked 2,111 Times in 1,111 Posts
Two of us rolled into a convenience store in Concrete, WA around 11pm Saturday night, a half hour behind the C group that was ten minutes behind the B group who were maybe 30 minutes behind the A group who were maybe two hours behind the coureurs de vitesse. We were at around 300k into the 400k.

The attend said, "you guys are certainly more..."

I was waiting for it. Maybe crazy or insane or slow. Best case maybe he'd say hardcore but I don't expect that. Instead it was intrepid.

Intrepid? That's a first. I had to google it Sunday afternoon: fearless; adventurous (often used for rhetorical or humorous effect).

I like it. Sort of like hardcore but also the joke's on me because what I'm doing is s t u p i d.

Last edited by downtube42; 04-18-23 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-18-23, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18586 Post(s)
Liked 16,071 Times in 7,544 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Two of us rolled into a convenience store in Concrete, WA around 11pm Saturday night, a half hour behind the C group that was ten minutes behind the B group who were maybe 30 minutes behind the A group who were maybe two hours behind the coureurs de vitesse. We were at around 300k into the 400k.

The attend said, "you guys are certainly more..."

I was waiting for it. Maybe crazy or insane or slow. Best case maybe he'd say hardcore but I don't expect that. Instead it was intrepid.

Intrepid? That's a first. I had to google it Sunday afternoon: fearless; adventurous (often used for rhetorical or humorous effect).

I like it. Sort of like hardcore but also the joke's on me because what I'm doing is s t u p i d.
I passed through Concrete twice while touring. Started from Bay View State Park. Cold and raining both times in late May. Howard Miller Steelhead Park down the road in Rockport, with its Adirondack shelters and piping hot showers, was like heaven.
Old 04-18-23, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18586 Post(s)
Liked 16,071 Times in 7,544 Posts
Cycle Oregon XV was pretty hard core. Averaged 93 miles/day for 6 days, with a rest day after the 4th day of riding. Woke to ice on my tent the second morning, when we camped on a cattle ranch with dried cow pies all around. The third night we also camped on a ranch. The camping area looked like a drought stricken refugee camp. Nice to roll into after 117 hot miles. Some poor guy who did the shorter route that day died during the hot slog up to Mitchell. Made the next day’s century even harder. Can you say “crispy critter hot”? At least we had a rest day before climbing McKenzie Pass. It was really interesting to notice how people were getting testy with each other during the final two days. Fatigue had really set in.

Last edited by indyfabz; 04-18-23 at 07:01 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-18-23, 07:52 PM

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked 569 Times in 323 Posts
But hardcore, never.

The Ramones. The epitome of hard core. "Beat on the Brat!" I suspect that the young engineers on my team would not believe that the old guy listened to that kind of stuff when he was their age. I mean going from The Ramones to Andy Statman is a fairly big change.

My personal favorite from around that time was "Wall of Voodoo". "Mexican Radio" came out at a time I was living in So-Cal and designing algorithms for anti-aircraft systems. It just seemed like a good idea at the time.

I had to go listen to "Mexican Radio" on YouTube and the add sponsoring it was Taco Bell. So much for Google's intelligent search algorithms. Made me want to go out to a Taco Bell and order BBQed Iguana!!

Last edited by DangerousDanR; 04-18-23 at 07:55 PM.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 04-18-23, 08:08 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4514 Post(s)
Liked 4,202 Times in 2,814 Posts
Well, hey, if you want to post up some videos of The Clash or Sex Pistols, I'm not stopping you.
80s hardcore would be in no order at all:
Agnostic Front
Bad Brains
Minor Threat
Black Flag
Dead Kennedys
Husker Dü
Minutemen
Descendents
Cro-Mags (who are actually relevant here because their singer John Josephs is also a triathlete.)
Gorilla Biscuits
D.R.I.
Government Issue
Gang Green
D.O.A.
SS Decontrol
7 Seconds
The Dicks

There is a lot of other bands and tons of great material out there.

The Clash is a fine band but not hardcore or close to it aside from being a punk band. I could care less for the Sex Pistols, the Ramones however I love but everyone loves the Ramones. I highly recommend checking out the band Death if you like early punk because they are as early as they come before punk was called punk. They were out of Detroit and it was I think 3 brothers in the early 70s and created one album but there is a great documentary about them.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-18-23, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 316 Posts
It's all good. I definitely remember The Ramones and DKs from that era, but I was a lot more mainstream in my tastes. As of now, I tend to like a lot of recent/current music but I watched Napoleon Dynamite a couple weeks back and got back on an 80s kick with bands like Wang Chung, When in Rome, A-Ha, Bangles, REM, The Cars, etc. I'm OK admitting I like bubblegum pop.
Old 04-18-23, 08:34 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

It's all good. I definitely remember The Ramones and DKs from that era, but I was a lot more mainstream in my tastes. As of now, I tend to like a lot of recent/current music but I watched Napoleon Dynamite a couple weeks back and got back on an 80s kick with bands like Wang Chung, When in Rome, A-Ha, Bangles, REM, The Cars, etc. I'm OK admitting I like bubblegum pop.
I listen to just about everything so I do like that 80s stuff as you mentioned but I do like some good 80s hardcore.
Old 04-18-23, 08:49 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked 2,111 Times in 1,111 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I passed through Concrete twice while touring. Started from Bay View State Park. Cold and raining both times in late May. Howard Miller Steelhead Park down the road in Rockport, with its Adirondack shelters and piping hot showers, was like heaven.

Cool. Bay View Stat Park was an Info Control Saturday, on the northbound leg up to Bellingham. That was before the drizzle started IIRC. Control question: What word appears below Bay View State Park on the park sign? I'll keep the answer to myself, as it might be re-used another day.

Kind of amazed I remember the question and answer, considering the subsequent lack of sleep.

I'd like to do some more bike touring, if I can ever get this rando stuff out of my system. What little I've done was fun. Intense, but fun.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 04-18-23, 10:32 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Shoot, I'm not even sure that Hüsker Dü qualifies as hard core...I mean, they actually played pretty melodies, at least sometimes.
Listen to Land Speed Record and tell me that is not hardcore (in the time it took me to write this the album was over...LOLOLOL), sure in their later albums it got more developed and interesting but really good stuff all over. They were certainly not the standard hardcore band but I appreciate that.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-18-23, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 883 Times in 437 Posts
I’ll tell you hardcore, doing a 220km stage in southern Europe in the summer, waking up so sore the next day that you are almost unable to walk, and see blood in your urine when using the toilet. Then, trying to get your cycling shorts on when your legs are so sore that it hurts to bend your knees enough to pull them over your feet, getting back on your bike, riding a 120km stage, and finishing 2nd.

Today hardcore for me is a 40km loop around the town.
Old 04-18-23, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 316 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
I’ll tell you hardcore, doing a 220km stage in southern Europe in the summer, waking up so sore the next day that you are almost unable to walk, and see blood in your urine when using the toilet. Then, trying to get your cycling shorts on when your legs are so sore that it hurts to bend your knees enough to pull them over your feet, getting back on your bike, riding a 120km stage, and finishing 2nd.

Today hardcore for me is a 40km loop around the town.
There is a very fine line between hardcore and madness. Just sayin'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.