Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Semaglutide/Ozempic anyone?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Semaglutide/Ozempic anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-24, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Very interesting thread, thank you to all who have posted their experiences with this drug.

Saw my endo yesterday who decided to put me on ozempic for my t2 diabetes, not weight loss. Considering I'm now on 2 other injectables (1 daily, 1 3x a day) & I refuse to go back on metformin like I was before Covid19 shes starting me at low dosege for 4 weeks.

It doesnt seem she gave me much info on it, so I guess the internet is going to provide it for me. Yet they get mad when we walk in with info from webmd LOL

Anyways thanks for some serious reading & thought provoking. Be safe all & best of luck to you
Old 05-03-24, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked 506 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by AirPhantomPhoto
Very interesting thread, thank you to all who have posted their experiences with this drug.

Saw my endo yesterday who decided to put me on ozempic for my t2 diabetes, not weight loss. Considering I'm now on 2 other injectables (1 daily, 1 3x a day) & I refuse to go back on metformin like I was before Covid19 shes starting me at low dosege for 4 weeks.

It doesnt seem she gave me much info on it, so I guess the internet is going to provide it for me. Yet they get mad when we walk in with info from webmd LOL

Anyways thanks for some serious reading & thought provoking. Be safe all & best of luck to you

Weight loss will help your T2 diabetes. You can cure it if you are willing to give up sugar and high glycemic foods. Just a change in your diet will cure your T2 and get you to a healthy weight. I did it at age 50 and lost 180lbs over the next 2 years. Good luck to you.
Old 05-12-24, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 750 Times in 530 Posts
Originally Posted by AirPhantomPhoto
Considering I'm now on 2 other injectables (1 daily, 1 3x a day) & I refuse to go back on metformin like I was before Covid19 shes starting me at low dosege for 4 weeks.
At the (low) risk of hijacking this thread I'm wondering why the strong feelings about metformin. Along with the diet and lifestyle changes recommended by RH Clark I would have suggested natural and proven glucose lowering substances like Cinnamon Bark, Berberine or Turmeric. In fact, I can't say for certain that metformin is not derived in part or in whole from some natural plant based ingredient and they are very effective and have few side effects.
Old 05-13-24, 10:03 AM

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock - 2009 | Specialized Roll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
At the (low) risk of hijacking this thread I'm wondering why the strong feelings about metformin. Along with the diet and lifestyle changes recommended by RH Clark I would have suggested natural and proven glucose lowering substances like Cinnamon Bark, Berberine or Turmeric. In fact, I can't say for certain that metformin is not derived in part or in whole from some natural plant based ingredient and they are very effective and have few side effects.
  1. Metformin has a lot of side effects, often gastrointestinal in nature that make taking the medication dreadful for a lot of people. It is however extremely effective at what it does.
  2. All medications are compounds and chemicals specifically extracted from natural sources it's not like they magically create a compound in a lab that's "artificial"
  3. The vast vast majority of doctors still recommend eating things like oatmeal with cinnamon, turmeric etc in the mornings to help regulate blood sugar. Most type 2 diabetics however do not manage their diet or lifestyle and that's how they became diabetic in the first place. This is me speaking from experience. Some people have a come to Jesus moment and make lasting changes, like me. The vast majority do not. A lot of this is due to the biological changes that happen to your body when you become obese.
  4. Ozempic, Wegovy and other medications of their class have been around for a decade, they just haven't been widely publicized and weren't covered by most insurance for various reasons. They've been pretty extensively tested in humans for long term use and carry little serious risk and pretty awful, but manageable side effects just like metformin, but the difference is ozempic is even more effective than metformin and also helps you regain some control over your diet that obesity robs you of. It slows your digestion, makes you feel full fast, helps to eliminate cravings and as a result aids in lifestyle changes and weightloss making you less dependent on medication and healthier in the long run. For these reasons, medications like ozempic are life changing for people with diabetes that are obese. Metformin is just a bandaid.
Old 05-13-24, 10:22 AM

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Also, I just need to say, you can know for certain if it is or not. It's information freely available to the public. Metformin is derived from a compound in French lilac.

If doing nothing but eating certain spices were actually nearly as effective on their own, we wouldn't have needed metformin to begin with.
Old 05-13-24, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 750 Times in 530 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBlackPumpkin
Also, I just need to say, you can know for certain if it is or not. It's information freely available to the public. Metformin is derived from a compound in French lilac.

If doing nothing but eating certain spices were actually nearly as effective on their own, we wouldn't have needed metformin to begin with.
I don't know. There are a number of studies that say Berberine is AS effective as Metformin. Cinnamon Bark and Turmeric are also singled out for a reason. When has the existence of 'natural' remedies stopped Big Pharma from making a patentable and marketable pharmaceutical from Apricot pits or something else very common.
Old 05-13-24, 05:25 PM

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I don't know. There are a number of studies that say Berberine is AS effective as Metformin. Cinnamon Bark and Turmeric are also singled out for a reason. When has the existence of 'natural' remedies stopped Big Pharma from making a patentable and marketable pharmaceutical from Apricot pits or something else very common.
Metformin was introduced as a medication in 1957 in France and in the U.S in 1995. The berberine studies you're referring to, some of them were RCT's done in China, the earliest in 2004, there hasn't been much of a scientific consensus on it outside of traditional chinese medicine until as late as 2020. (fine, I don't consider the FDA approving something the holy grail of medicine) but when we're talking about U.S based medicine, there are certain requirements for a study to be considered valid by the FDA and for a drug to obtain FDA approval. Now, as it stands, berberine as far as I'm aware is sold in dietary supplements in the states, which isn't regulated in the slightest in the U.S. If you want to take berberine for your diabetes, nothing is stopping you from doing that.

But guess what? Berberine has almost the exact same side effect profile as metformin. Some people react to it better than metformin, some dont. Some people also don't have issues with metformin. I misspoke earlier, in that, Berberine isn't just a "spice" it's an extracted organic chemical, just like the compound key to Metformin. I more meant that, Cinnamon and Turmeric on their own aren't going to control someones insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes. Doctor's aren't big pharma, while there are good and bad doctors the vast majority of doctors would rather give you options other than going on medication and in my experience with Type II diabetes, that option is generally, eating a low carb, high fiber and protein diet, eating normal portions, eating 5-6 small meals a day instead of 2-3 large meals, and exercising regularly. But virtually no one is going to do all of that, or maybe their condition is more advanced and that's no longer an option on its own. That's where medications come in.

I just don't really understand the stance that berberine is somehow better or more "natural" when it's almost the exact same class of chemical compound derived from a plant, just like metformin. As for the spices themselves, you won't find a single doctor treating a patient with diabetes that tells them not to eat cinnamon and turmeric.

Listen I'm not going to sit here and pretend there's not a lot of money in the pharmaseutical industry and things are never profit driven. They clearly are. But it's not like you're saying there's a proven cure for diabetes that big pharma is keeping us from getting because they make too much money off of metformin sales. You're suggesting that there's a compound that's virutally the same effectiveness as Metformin but derived from a different plant and they just don't want us to know about it / have access to it? I mean for reference, a month supply of metformin without insurance is about $15-20. If you have insurance, it costs like $4 for a 90 day supply in my experience. I would suggest that, perhaps the bigger fish to fry is the ridiculous amounts of added sugars and fats in our food to make them more palatable and addictive to our brains leading to morbid obesity and diabetes in the first place. Pharmaseutical researchers are spending their lives looking for a way to reverse the damage that our lifestyle and what's in our hyper-processed diet causes. Or maybe the fact that insurance won't pay for a gym membership or exercise equipment (although fun fact, based on evidence and research, even if they did, people don't make use of them as a very large percentage of the population, so it's just wasted money for them)

I could also go a lot into how the number 1 cause of diabetes is obesity and obesity is massively contributed to by genetics and your brain rewiring itself to keep yourself obese because it views it as a good thing to have extra fat. But I'm going off on a bit of a tangent now.
Old 05-13-24, 05:57 PM

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 77 Posts

SNIP

I would suggest that, perhaps the bigger fish to fry is the ridiculous amounts of added sugars and fats in our food to make them more palatable and addictive to our brains leading to morbid obesity and diabetes in the first place.
OMG -this is so true Horrifying if you look into it. Not only morbid obesity and diabetes, but I'd be willing to bet there is a link to many other health problems (e.g., who ever heard of peanut allergies 40 years ago? Certainly not Southwest Airlines).
Old 05-20-24, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked 506 Times in 279 Posts
Metformin was introduced as a medication in 1957 in France and in the U.S in 1995. The berberine studies you're referring to, some of them were RCT's done in China, the earliest in 2004, there hasn't been much of a scientific consensus on it outside of traditional chinese medicine until as late as 2020. (fine, I don't consider the FDA approving something the holy grail of medicine) but when we're talking about U.S based medicine, there are certain requirements for a study to be considered valid by the FDA and for a drug to obtain FDA approval. Now, as it stands, berberine as far as I'm aware is sold in dietary supplements in the states, which isn't regulated in the slightest in the U.S. If you want to take berberine for your diabetes, nothing is stopping you from doing that.

But guess what? Berberine has almost the exact same side effect profile as metformin. Some people react to it better than metformin, some dont. Some people also don't have issues with metformin. I misspoke earlier, in that, Berberine isn't just a "spice" it's an extracted organic chemical, just like the compound key to Metformin. I more meant that, Cinnamon and Turmeric on their own aren't going to control someones insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes. Doctor's aren't big pharma, while there are good and bad doctors the vast majority of doctors would rather give you options other than going on medication and in my experience with Type II diabetes, that option is generally, eating a low carb, high fiber and protein diet, eating normal portions, eating 5-6 small meals a day instead of 2-3 large meals, and exercising regularly. But virtually no one is going to do all of that, or maybe their condition is more advanced and that's no longer an option on its own. That's where medications come in.

I just don't really understand the stance that berberine is somehow better or more "natural" when it's almost the exact same class of chemical compound derived from a plant, just like metformin. As for the spices themselves, you won't find a single doctor treating a patient with diabetes that tells them not to eat cinnamon and turmeric.

Listen I'm not going to sit here and pretend there's not a lot of money in the pharmaseutical industry and things are never profit driven. They clearly are. But it's not like you're saying there's a proven cure for diabetes that big pharma is keeping us from getting because they make too much money off of metformin sales. You're suggesting that there's a compound that's virutally the same effectiveness as Metformin but derived from a different plant and they just don't want us to know about it / have access to it? I mean for reference, a month supply of metformin without insurance is about $15-20. If you have insurance, it costs like $4 for a 90 day supply in my experience. I would suggest that, perhaps the bigger fish to fry is the ridiculous amounts of added sugars and fats in our food to make them more palatable and addictive to our brains leading to morbid obesity and diabetes in the first place. Pharmaseutical researchers are spending their lives looking for a way to reverse the damage that our lifestyle and what's in our hyper-processed diet causes. Or maybe the fact that insurance won't pay for a gym membership or exercise equipment (although fun fact, based on evidence and research, even if they did, people don't make use of them as a very large percentage of the population, so it's just wasted money for them)

I could also go a lot into how the number 1 cause of diabetes is obesity and obesity is massively contributed to by genetics and your brain rewiring itself to keep yourself obese because it views it as a good thing to have extra fat. But I'm going off on a bit of a tangent now.
T2 diabetes is completely manageable to the best of my knowledge just by diet. Just don't eat high glycemic foods and start spacing out the time between calorie consumption. No highly processed foods, no sugar or Frutos. Jason Fung has had lots of success treating T2 by diet and IM fasting alone.

As far as being overweight. there are lots of reasons and the biggest one is processed foods and excess sugar. I know I lost 180 lbs. in 2 years after age 50. I cut out all sugar, bread, grain, pasta, rice and potatoes and ate as much as I wanted of all other whole foods and still averaged more than 10 lbs. a month weight loss.