Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you care if a guy is riding a bike without a shirt on?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Do you care if a guy rides topless?
No
61.54%
I don't care if they are in shape, I do mind if they aren't
3.30%
I don't care if they pass by, I do care in a group ride
10.99%
Yes, it bothers me
17.58%
Other (Explain in post)
6.59%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Do you care if a guy is riding a bike without a shirt on?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-15, 11:07 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5983 Post(s)
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,618 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
How would you feel about it, if instead of having to see hairy backs and man-boobs on riders, you had to look at schlongs hanging out?
One doesn't equate with the other, but I really wouldn't care. It's just not my problem, unless I'm tied down with my eyelids taped open. Some 45 years or so ago, when I worked in a bike shop in NYC, we had a guy walk in completely nude to buy a bike. Just another day in the East Village.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-18-15, 12:07 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked 1,027 Times in 576 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
Freedom to do something is one thing. I don't think anyone here is advocating laws against shirtlessness; least of all, libertarians like myself. But there is a goode reason WHY we have lost so many of the freedoms we once had, and that is often because of people's inability to behave responsibly and appropriately. I would love to live in a truly libertarian society; but one in which people exercised self-restraint and consideration- for only a society masde up of people who practice such ideals could ever be free ...
Yes, that pretty well encapsulates what most people believe. People can have "freedom" as long as they don't offend the sensibilities of the majority. And a people deserve liberty only if they collectively behave in the proper manner. If we were all just like X, we'd have a perfect society.

I can understand the sentiment that so minor and inconsequential an act should scarcely be cause for a debate on freedom, but I find the reactions and justifications almost startling.
Old 02-18-15, 03:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I wonder how many people that would object to a topless man, would likewise object to a woman wearing a skimpy bikini top.
My guess is fewer than would object to a man wearing a skimpy bikini top
Old 02-18-15, 03:33 AM

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
^^^ Um, yeah.