Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I bought real Oakley cycling glasses, right?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I bought real Oakley cycling glasses, right?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-17, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts

Do you have experience with these? I have a pair of the photochomic lenses that change slowly.

The CTRL lenses would have to change ultra fast & almost predict the shade. Like Noodle said, I'm looking for the best option for fast descents with dark shade parts.
Old 08-13-17, 11:48 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by RShantz
Do you have experience with these? I have a pair of the photochomic lenses that change slowly.

The CTRL lenses would have to change ultra fast & almost predict the shade. Like Noodle said, I'm looking for the best option for fast descents with dark shade parts.
I've got the Julbo Cameleon and they are great .... but saying that, I have not been through dark tunnels then back into bright sunlight so I cannot comment

those CTRL sunglasses look really good (but are expensive):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=Sy97UdWIUkM
Old 08-13-17, 11:56 AM
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts

This. Anybody?

I see that Oakley and POC offer many shades and tints.

I've got POC smoke (dark) lens and rose with mirror lens, and I'm hoping maybe someone has experience with some of the others in this specific situation.
Old 08-13-17, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
This. Anybody?

I see that Oakley and POC offer many shades and tints.

I've got POC smoke (dark) lens and rose with mirror lens, and I'm hoping maybe someone has experience with some of the others in this specific situation.
Most Pros (that wear Oakley) use Prizm Road lenses in those conditions. It's a contrast lens(slight rose tint) that allows 20% light transmission. I use this lens most of the time, and it works well for me, but there are no shaded areas on the descents near here.
Old 08-13-17, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Most Pros (that wear Oakley) use Prizm Road lenses in those conditions. It's a contrast lens(slight rose tint) that allows 20% light transmission. I use this lens most of the time, and it works well for me, but there are no shaded areas on the descents near here.

I may give them a try. Reason I'm all of a sudden concerned is that we recently had an experienced local rider go down on a descent where it was 100% sunny except for a few fast, tight turns. He said he hit a good bit of gravel right after going from sun to shade. Said he didn't see anything until he was right on top of it. This got me to looking really hard at sunny-to-shady areas during my rides & I could see someone not being able to see things in road.

I guess at some point it's just a risk you take by cycling.
Old 08-14-17, 03:34 PM
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
This one really interests me. Does anyone have suggestions? It's brutal on mt descents when you go from full sun into a fully shaded turn. Around here it's fairly common to find gravel & larger stones on mt roads.
Amber/yellowish lenses.

Not as much darkening in the sun, but I find I don't have to take them off to see once the sun goes down and I'm riding by streetlights or bike lights.

Mine are Tifosi Dolomites, and the amber lens was part of a 3 lens set.
Old 08-14-17, 03:38 PM
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by tmh657
I ordered some Oakley's a few years ago from what looked like the real website. I got them in the mail. They were "Oakeys" and not even worth the postage. I got scammed and no recourse. I called the CC company. Charges were reversed.
Then you had recourse.
Old 08-24-17, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Years ago after my PRK the precursor to Lasik, I asked an Optician what I should look for in quality eyewear. This was 1997. He said UV protection and polarized lenses. None of the advanced new expensive eyewear I see now even mentions polarized lenses. Can anyone here comment on that ? Maybe I missed something in the literature or advertising or BS.
Old 08-24-17, 09:55 PM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Polarized lenses will often render you incapable of reading the screens on bike computers (and some phones as well)-- through the glasses, the screen just appears black. So many folks don't opt for polarization for that reason alone.
Old 08-24-17, 10:18 PM
MUP World Champ

Bikes: '19 Trance 3, '17 Defy Adv 2, DK Legend, Electra Verse 21D

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Polarized lenses will often render you incapable of reading the screens on bike computers (and some phones as well)-- through the glasses, the screen just appears black. So many folks don't opt for polarization for that reason alone.
I spend a fair amount of time around the water and wear nothing but polarized. If you are used to the problem, it can usually be resolved quickly by rotating your head in relation to the display or looking under/over the glasses. YMMV though.
Old 08-27-17, 08:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Adam and Dr. I am aware of the polarizing effect. Used polarizing lenses (microscope) back in the day for thin section petrography analysis. My question is in regards to protecting the eye from light transmission or wave damage. Anyone ?? - thanks !!

Last edited by Myspokeisabroke; 08-27-17 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-27-17, 09:36 PM
MUP World Champ

Originally Posted by Myspokeisabroke
Thanks Adam and Dr. I am aware of the polarizing effect. Used polarizing lenses (microscope) back in the day for thin section petrography analysis. My question is in regards to protecting the eye from light transmission or wave damage. Anyone ?? - thanks !!
Polarized glasses will reduce glare which causes eyestrain. Squinting to see through glare stresses the eyes and can cause headache, irritation, and fatigue. IMO, if you are in a situation where glare is an issue you will benefit from polarization. The polarization will filter out the reflected light allowing more comfortable viewing of the scene with less stress on your eyes.
Old 08-27-17, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by adamhenry
Polarized glasses will reduce glare which causes eyestrain. Squinting to see through glare stresses the eyes and can cause headache, irritation, and fatigue. IMO, if you are in a situation where glare is an issue you will benefit from polarization. The polarization will filter out the reflected light allowing more comfortable viewing of the scene with less stress on your eyes.
Polarized lenses will also screw with your depth perception. Unless much of your riding is around coastal areas, I would not recommend polarized lenses for cycling.
Old 08-27-17, 10:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
? Huh ?? So are the Oakley and other high end polarized or not ? Does anyone know ??
Old 08-27-17, 10:32 PM

? Huh ?? So are the Oakley and other high end polarized or not ? Does anyone know ??
What are you asking?
Old 08-28-17, 05:49 PM
MUP World Champ

Polarized lenses will also screw with your depth perception. Unless much of your riding is around coastal areas, I would not recommend polarized lenses for cycling.
Can you show me the source of the info about polarization having a negative impact on depth perception. I would be interested in seeing it as it is counter to what I thought I knew. I thought the increased contrast would improve depth perception.
Old 08-29-17, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
they might be quality eyewear, but I've seen no tests that back up Noctilux.95's claims.

They definitely look goofy.
I don't think so. I know some guys who wear them and they look awesome. I just got the half blade versions. Yeah, they are different than the usual Oakley look, so they are polarizing in that regard, but I dig the ski goggle aesthetic.

From a lens perspective I was told they are great if you sweat a lot, like I do. I think the clarity is on par with Oakley. The guys who wear them are really into gear so I just took their advice. I have been wearing Oakleys and variants for so long that it was nice to see something different.
Old 08-29-17, 03:42 PM

Bikes: Fuji

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got several Oakleys and all are polarized except for some Japanese style I liked and bought on a whim. I've had no problems reading bike computer screens from the cheap Schwinn from Target, Topeak and SIGMA Sport using my Juliettes, M-Frame Pros or any other. The only screens I had trouble reading were the ones at gas pumps.

If I'm wearing those now, I won't be able to read anything, but that's because I need glasses for just about everything now. Can't wait until I've saved up and can get prescription shades and eliminate the eddies that make my eyes tear up....
Old 08-29-17, 08:30 PM

Bikes: Miele Laser (Suntour Superbe Pro groupo)

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adamhenry
Can you show me the source of the info about polarization having a negative impact on depth perception. I would be interested in seeing it as it is counter to what I thought I knew. I thought the increased contrast would improve depth perception.
Some Oakley lenses are polarized, some aren't. You can get most of their frames with polarized lenses.

The most compelling argument i've read against polarized lenses for cycling is that they filter out information. In some situations you might find it difficult to know what type of road is coming up because the glare is eliminated. Enough to make a difference? I can't say for sure.
My daily glasses are polarized Oakleys and I notice wet surfaces (asphalt and concrete) can have a weird look to them. I've never noticed any effect on my depth perception with the polarized lenses.
My riding glasses are Oakley Radar EV with Prizm lenses - I have both road and path versions. My previous pair were Smith. Smith are very good but I personally prefer the oakley optics. But before I got serious, i did century rides in a pair of Maui Jims (on some very sunny days) and they were fine. I made the decision to get some proper cycling glasses after a pebble pinged off my Maui Jims - would've been a bulls eye pupil shot without 'em, there's a souvenir too (a small chip, barely visible).
Old 10-04-17, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I was about to buy a Prizm Road, but hessitated because I found out it is only 3% less than my Slade Iridium.

I'am wondering if I should try the Prizm Road anyway, or go extremely, like Black Iridium (10%). Since it gets very bright here during the afternoon.
YMMV, but I live in the Phoenix area and use the Road Prizm lens most of the time. Before the Road Prizm lens was released I used Ice or Black Iridium lens(both 10%). Initially I thought the RP lens wasn't dark enough for bright sunshine, but after using it for a few weeks I got used to the difference and now the BI lens seems darker than necessary.
Old 10-06-17, 01:43 PM

Bikes: Electra Townie Balloon 8D EQ

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you for your post. After reading it, I was somewhat concerned about this issue.

I just bought a pair of genuine Oakley "M2 Frame XL" glasses with polarized lenses and I can see my cycle computer just fine!

The screen appears black only if I tilt my head sideways 90 degrees, so there is no problem (unless I fall over onto the ground of course )

All best and happy cycling,
Joe
Old 10-09-17, 06:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So are the Oakley and other high end polarized or not ?
What are you asking?
I am at a loss here.

After viewing this entire thread I am convinced of almost nothing. Even a simple basic question gets questioned. Just try em' and see. Regarding eye damage from sunlight, I trust an opthamologist, not anyone, not a single person here any more.

Last edited by Myspokeisabroke; 10-09-17 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Cheesus
Old 10-10-17, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a long-term review of the Foakley Radar frames which should be a good way to spot fakes. I was looking around for a pair of Oakley's for quite some time and got discouraged when I noticed many eBay auctions had prices that were too good to be true. Too easy for someone to buy them from China in bulk and relist them with clever pictures. At $16 a pair I can get 11 of these for the cost of the real thing, but you need a couple pairs because they fall apart.

It is pretty tough to tell at a glance:

First indication is the lens. I rarely look out of the bottom part so it isn't a deal breaker but it is noticeable:

They seem to last about 2 months of daily rising before problems start to arise. I have had four of these and all developed this issue:

The hinges aren't the best, albiet I first noticed this after someone wearing them had a crash:

This is one of the least noticeable but perhaps most obnoxious part about the fit:

Last edited by Metis; 10-10-17 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-10-17, 11:01 AM

I am at a loss here.
The question was pretty vague. Some Oakley lenses are polarized, some are not(same as other brands). Polarized lenses are not "higher quality", they are simply better in some conditions(like high glare environments) than non-polarized lenses.
Old 10-10-17, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Metis
Here's a long-term review of the Foakley Radar frames which should be a good way to spot fakes. I was looking around for a pair of Oakley's for quite some time and got discouraged when I noticed many eBay auctions had prices that were too good to be true. Too easy for someone to buy them from China in bulk and relist them with clever pictures. At $16 a pair I can get 11 of these for the cost of the real thing, but you need a couple pairs because they fall apart.

It is pretty tough to tell at a glance:

Actually it's pretty easy to see that these are fake from this photo.

Oakley lenses are never packaged in plastic wrap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.