Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The Importance Of Cycling Pants

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The Importance Of Cycling Pants

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-22, 08:32 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Pants/slacks, whatever; I have found the perfect 'cycling pants/slacks' (pic below). Everything the intelligent, practical cyclist could want in the way of features, along with curb appeal.

I shall now switch momentarily into full 'General Cycling' register: 'I don't understand why manufacturers can't make these available. I want them, so they should make them ... at a ridiculously low retail price ... just for me ... etc etc wah wah'. /digression

Great ad if you have an imagination tho.
Old 07-16-22, 11:54 AM
Expired Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3815 Post(s)
Liked 5,839 Times in 2,952 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
On the bike paths, I ride about 15 or 16 mph.
That's recklessly fast on a path when using a contraption with such a large footprint. Add the known handling deficiencies of a 'bent plus diminished reflexes and cognition, sounds like an accident in the making.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-16-22, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I have an M5 CHR recumbent. It did PBP in 75 hours. My aero road bike did PBP in 54 hours. My best times on frequently ridden fairly hilly 300k rides are 1-2 hours faster on the normal bike. I absolutely never had any saddle pain or sores from uprights. Hand pain? Surely on rides over 200 miles.
Old 07-16-22, 12:24 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
During that 135 miles, how much time did you spend staring down at your front wheel and the ground. Before you answer remember I rode DF bike for 60 years, and I know the habits of DF riders.
This is the second time you responded to that post and that's the stupidest question I have ever been asked. None. I of course check the road ahead for obstacles, but you have to do that too. But I spend absolutely zero of my time staring at the front wheel, and think that is a perfect example of the kind of lies you keep repeating about df riders.
Do you seriously think you're going to convince us of anything with this repetitive nonsense? We know you don't have a clue about how we ride.
I've never ridden a bent, but I'm pretty sure my view from my df is better. My view is not obstructed by my feet, for one thing, and I'm also about a foot or two higher. And I'm perfectly capable of looking straight ahead AND I can turn my head in several directions.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-16-22, 12:31 PM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
This is the second time you responded to that post and that's the stupidest question I have ever been asked. None. I of course check the road ahead for obstacles, but you have to do that too. But I spend absolutely zero of my time staring at the front wheel, and think that is a perfect example of the kind of lies you keep repeating about df riders.
Do you seriously think you're going to convince us of anything with this repetitive nonsense? We know you don't have a clue about how we ride.
I've never ridden a bent, but I'm pretty sure my view from my df is better. My view is not obstructed by my feet, for one thing, and I'm also about a foot or two higher. And I'm perfectly capable of looking straight ahead AND I can turn my head in several directions.
Wait - I can look ahead when I ride my DDF bike?! Man, this'll be great! Maybe I'll stop colliding with **** every other ride!
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-16-22, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18596 Post(s)
Liked 16,096 Times in 7,558 Posts
and I know the habits of DF riders.
No. You don’t. Or is this more trolling, Wolfie?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-16-22, 02:16 PM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,491 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
No. You don’t. Or is this more trolling, Wolfie?
Just to clear things up. I have always had one username ever since I joined bikeforums way back in 2008.... I am not related to any of the trolls and posters on this forums. Every single post of mine comes from me and my username....Accusing another poster of being a sock puppet or a troll is just a low blow. Not nice at all...and BTW I would rather walk than ride a recumbent.
Old 07-16-22, 02:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by phughes
I have nothing against bents. I am sure they can be fun. For me they would not be good. I would not like to ride them on the hilly, roads around here, with no shoulder, and heavy traffic. There is no way I would want to be that low to the ground in this much traffic, with no shoulder, and limited sight lines due to the curves, trees, and hills. I also would not want to try to climb the 15% grade near my house, or the over 20% grade hill less than a mile from here. I also would not like to tour on one, though I do know some do. They are few and far between though.

Bents can be nice, if you have a nice place to ride, but if you have to fight traffic, and hills, no way. Enjoy you bent, knowing full well it is a niche product that doesn't come close to fitting the needs of the majority of riders.
More and more people are touring on bents for two reasons. Number 1 of course is comfort during long days riding. Second a almost as important is you set upright, and have an unlimited view. The views are why so many people tour in the first place.
Old 07-16-22, 02:19 PM
Banned

There's no local bent dealers anywhere near me.
Too bad for people in your area.
Old 07-16-22, 02:23 PM
Banned

It's great that the trike meets your needs. Quit lying about DF bikes which you obviously know next to nothing about.
Well-------------------I would have to say I know quite a bit about DF bikes. I rode them for 60 years before I went bent. How many years do you have riding bents, or for that matter DF bikes. If there any lies being told about DF bike or bents, it is the Kitted Mafia that tells the most lies.

Last edited by rydabent; 07-16-22 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-16-22, 02:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Well, I do believe that you're attempting to hoodwink me. I have it on good authority that traveling at those kinds of reckless speeds is like to tear the skin right off a man's face, not to mention spooking the horses and flustering all of the decent occupants of the carriages. I'll hear no more of your charlatan claims!
But at 84 your have to ride at those speeds to make it from out house to out house in time.
Old 07-16-22, 02:24 PM

More and more people are touring on bents for two reasons. Number 1 of course is comfort during long days riding. Second a almost as important is you set upright, and have an unlimited view. The views are why so many people tour in the first place.
Well…I actually tour several times a year and can see just fine. And I almost never see people on ‘bents. I think you are just making up crap as usual.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-16-22, 02:25 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Too bad for peop
​​le in your area.
I don't disagree, but the third bike store in my city just opened about a year and a half ago and it's quite nice. My point was that there's still wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more demand for df bikes than bents and your claims that bents are on the verge of overtaking anything are absurd.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-16-22, 02:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
That's recklessly fast on a path when using a contraption with such a large footprint. Add the known handling deficiencies of a 'bent plus diminished reflexes and cognition, sounds like an accident in the making.
In as much as I have over 25,000 miles on my bents I assure you that what you state is false.
Old 07-16-22, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Just to clear things up. I have always had one username ever since I joined bikeforums way back in 2008.... I am not related to any of the trolls and posters on this forums. Every single post of mine comes from me and my username....Accusing another poster of being a sock puppet or a troll is just a low blow. Not nice at all...and BTW I would rather walk than ride a recumbent.

Sockness confirmed! Don’t worry though. You’re in a safe space.
Old 07-16-22, 02:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
BTW riding down hill with the wind, I could be a holy terror on my bent. Yet I limit my speed on the cities hiker biker trails to 15 mph.
Old 07-16-22, 02:34 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Well-------------------I would have to say I know quite a bit about bents. I rode them for 60 years before I went bent. How many years do you have riding bents, or for that matter DF bikes. If there any lies being told about DF bike or bents, it is the Kitted Mafia that tells the most lies.
Well, I hate to accuse anyone of dementia, but you haven't been correct about a single thing concerning df bikes. Are those 60 years still in your memory?
Did you actually read the post you quoted? Where have I claimed any knowledge about riding bents? I just know I never see them anywhere but a MUP. You, on the other hand have claimed I am lying or wrong about being able to see and whether my butt hurts. You are the one who is claiming to know about how I ride, not the other way around. Gotta go, 92 miles down. 48 to go.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-16-22, 02:35 PM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,491 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz

Sockness confirmed! Don’t worry though. You’re in a safe space.
I am starting a bib leasing business, I'll give you a special deal on one of my custom made bibs..
Old 07-16-22, 02:41 PM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
But at 84 your have to ride at those speeds to make it from out house to out house in time.
I'll just pretend that this makes sense and I'll hang my head in shame for being so thoroughly roasted - would that make you feel better?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-16-22, 02:43 PM
Banned

While you may be the perfect DF rider, as I have mentioned before I have been run off the trail at least twice by a high speed DF rider staring at his front wheel and paying no attention to where he was going.

BTW the higher the seat and the lower the handle bars on a DF bike the harder it is to hold up your head to have any kind of a view at all.

Last edited by rydabent; 07-16-22 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-16-22, 07:06 PM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 7,666 Times in 3,077 Posts
While you may be the perfect DF rider, as I have mentioned before I have been run off the trail at least twice by a high speed DF rider staring at his front wheel and paying no attention to where he was going.
I think they were paying attention. They probably were members of this forum and saw a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

BTW the higher the seat and the lower the handle bars on a DF bike the harder it is to hold up your head to have any kind of a view at all.
Your statements are absurd.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-16-22, 07:38 PM
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked 2,359 Times in 1,139 Posts
I think this thread at five pages is the most traction any of the OP bot's threads have every achieved.

Old 07-16-22, 08:37 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 923 Post(s)
Liked 2,122 Times in 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I have an M5 CHR recumbent. It did PBP in 75 hours. My aero road bike did PBP in 54 hours. My best times on frequently ridden fairly hilly 300k rides are 1-2 hours faster on the normal bike. I absolutely never had any saddle pain or sores from uprights. Hand pain? Surely on rides over 200 miles.
I'm really looking forward to PBP upright after 3x 'bent. Unlike you I've struggled mightily with saddle pain upright, but maybe I'm getting there. LEL in a few weeks will tell. My sense has been PBP is 'bent friendly terrain; I'll be really pleased if I'm actually quicker on the upright. Of course the other ginormous variable there is my fitness, and I ain't getting any younger.

Obviously, the quality of my BICYCLE PANTS will be of the utmost importance.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 07-16-22, 11:37 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 11100 Post(s)
Liked 7,703 Times in 4,289 Posts
Most bents like mine have mountain bike gearing with a triple in front. My bent for example is a 27 speed, so when you come to a hill you simply gear down and spin. I have NEVER had to walk up a hill. And of course down hill I simply roll away from riders on DF bikes.
bents do typicly descend faster than DF bikes.
I have yet to ever come across a bent that climbs hills even half as fast as me, and I am anything but a fast climber. The faster descent doesn't come close to offsetting the slower climb.
Old 07-16-22, 11:54 PM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 2,577 Times in 1,584 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I think this thread at five pages is the most traction any of the OP bot's threads have every achieved.
Machine learning before our eyes!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.