Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

So are the days of our lives...

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

So are the days of our lives...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-14, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by misterwaterfall
Why did you start using one/what has it helped with? I have some lower back pain thanks to getting hit by a car last year. Maybe this would help.
i just started working an office job this summer and have been sitting on a ball from the beginning as a precautionary measure. i tend to slump really really bad in an office chair, so i'd like to think it helps somewhat.

if i could i would totally do a diy standing desk but it definitely wouldn't fly at my office.
Old 09-07-14, 04:04 AM
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
A guy I know pretty well, he actually just beat me at a race recently by sneaking off at the end, was in the break that lapped the field at the pro crit nats last night. It was pretty cool to watch.
Old 09-07-14, 05:50 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One of the vd guys?
Old 09-07-14, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8429 Post(s)
Liked 9,356 Times in 4,595 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
According to another friend there has already been some in family fighting over some of his property.
People get weird, families get destroyed over this stuff.
Old 09-07-14, 07:36 AM
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Try working for the gov't. They banned using exercise balls as a chairs because it's too dangerous. This was after we took a half day course on how to sit at a desk (ergonomics training)...
oh you silly Canadians...
Old 09-07-14, 07:50 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
One of the vd guys?

VD is no joke.
Old 09-07-14, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Try working for the gov't. They banned using exercise balls as a chairs because it's too dangerous. This was after we took a half day course on how to sit at a desk (ergonomics training)...
FWIW, the wife works for Heath Canada, and she has a standing desk. Loves it.
Old 09-07-14, 09:27 AM

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
It's terrible to hear about squabbles like this.

From what I have seen communication, beforehand, is key, and with that communication comes trust and understanding. Letting old wounds fester seems to be the worst. Our family lawyer (really my dad's lawyer) has been shocked a couple times when we had a few things done that would normally be a bit touchy. One is that the four siblings agreed that one sibling will get the family house, which is worth quite a bit of money. It's 3-4x the house I live in, another sibling has a house that's more like 6-8x less valuable, and the third sibling rents. The other three siblings, me included, won't get any of it. We all agreed to that bit in the will and amended the will to reflect that (or the list of beneficiaries, the details of law are a bit lost on me). I actually suggested it. Another is that all of us have full power of attorney for my dad, individually, for money/health/legal stuff, which is apparently unusual. Another was an account that is joint between me and my dad. It's quite small in the scheme of things but everyone suggested that we just leave it alone, meaning that the survivor will get the benefits, followed by alternate beneficiaries (which are all the siblings listed in age order). Since the account is in my dad and my names realistically I'm the sole beneficiary. Technically I could take it now (either through being the joint account person or through doing a power of attorney and taking the money outright in my dad's name) but I'm leaving it as it is. My dad has no other joint accounts.

My dad hasn't been super well but the support structure around him has been pretty strong. Having stuff settled has really helped.

The Missus is a CPA and works with some estate closing type things. She sees the negative side of those family squabbles as well.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 09-07-14, 12:58 PM

Mrs. John has 2 sisters and a brother. One of the sisters lived with their mom for years, until mom passed, and a few months before that the 2 sisters changed the will (she could have fought it) to write Mrs. John out of it completely and stiffed her out of at least 100 grand. They then acted like it was her fault and they wouldn't speak to her for years. The brother didn't get involved in any of it.
They have reconciled but they never speak about the money.
My family was weird, too. My brother was executor of the will and he got my mom's house, which is fine with me, and 2 of my sisters got nothing, they did send 1 sister a check for one dollar and asked her to sign an agreement to never ask for more. I ended up with a check which would have been enough for a couple Dogmas or a nice car, which was nice.
Old 09-07-14, 03:33 PM

On the short club ride today a new guy showed up. You know the guy; young, fairly fit with no idea how to ride with others. Clearly too strong for his own good. We could burn him off on longer sections but these ride have a lot of stop lights.
One of the regulars had a few words with him early but he still caused issues.
If he comes back I'll give him some crap. He did ask me if I was on Strava.
Old 09-07-14, 04:07 PM

Bikes: road and track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
A guy I know pretty well, he actually just beat me at a race recently by sneaking off at the end, was in the break that lapped the field at the pro crit nats last night. It was pretty cool to watch.
I was spectating this morning at Fort Lee. It looked like no one saw him coming when he went off the front, even the announcers didn't realize he was in the break with you guys. Very fun race to watch though
Old 09-07-14, 04:17 PM
out walking the earth

We're not talking about the same guy. The guy I'm talking about is at interbike now.
Old 09-07-14, 04:51 PM

Bikes: road and track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gotcha, I thought you meant the 45+ winner
Old 09-07-14, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 619 Posts
On the short club ride today a new guy showed up. You know the guy; young, fairly fit with no idea how to ride with others. Clearly too strong for his own good. We could burn him off on longer sections but these ride have a lot of stop lights.
One of the regulars had a few words with him early but he still caused issues.
If he comes back I'll give him some crap. He did ask me if I was on Strava.
Yell at him

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...-yell-you.html

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 09-08-14, 06:56 AM

Bikes: CAAD10 & Slice RS Black Inc

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A friend of mine that races for Van Dessel was in that break that lapped the field as well. Was cool to watch
Old 09-08-14, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
our youngest started school today. drop off was great, but as we were leaving we could hear some screaming, and the voice sounded familiar. mama is a nervous wreck, me, not so much.
Old 09-08-14, 07:29 AM
You blink and it's gone.

Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No issues with my two brothers and I in regards to my parent's estate. The three of us treated the whole thing with dignity and respect, something my parents would have wanted, and followed the word of the will to a 'T'... I guess we were lucky...
Old 09-08-14, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by rbart4506
... I guess we were lucky...
or smart.
Old 09-08-14, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
No issues with my two brothers and I in regards to my parent's estate. The three of us treated the whole thing with dignity and respect, something my parents would have wanted, and followed the word of the will to a 'T'... I guess we were lucky...
I have exactly 2 people I consider family, a step dad and a half brother. My step dad and I had a talk about what would happen when he passes, and essentially I get everything but in the end its going to my brother. Since all he does is smoke weed and owes people alot of money, he can't legally or responsibly manage it. If he did though, it would be one hell of a 3 week party.
Old 09-08-14, 10:06 AM

Bikes: It has two wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MDcatV
our youngest started school today. drop off was great, but as we were leaving we could hear some screaming, and the voice sounded familiar. mama is a nervous wreck, me, not so much.
Might come back from school saying it was the best day ever. That kind of stuff has happened a lot with my daughter over the last 14.5 years.
Old 09-08-14, 10:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That sounds awesome.

As a CPA with an audit background I had occasion to witness families gone awry over inheritance. I was sent in on two occasions by my firm to audit for fraud or other irregularities in an estate where family members were suing each other. Worst engagements I was ever a part of. Hated it.

What astounds me is the attitude of entitlement that a lot of kids have to their parent's stuff. I deal with this a little on my wife's side of the family. My attitude, and the attitude I'm trying to encourage in my wife is that kid's should expect nothing from their parents when they die. The parents earned the money and it is their prerogative to do what ever they please with the money they earned through their life. If they want to leave it to charity. Fine. If they want to give more to one child than another, fine. I didn't earn any wealth that my parents may accumulate. If they leave me something. Fine. I'll honor their memory with how I handle the money. If not. Fine. I hope they enjoy it!

My wife sees it more emotionally. She see's it as a slight. In all fairness, it's been a rough time for my wife. After her dad died her mom has functionally disowned her and cut her out of the will. Her 3 brothers have stated that they will make sure she gets her share after the fact but she doesn't believe them. Obviously some family friction there. I couldn't give a **** about it. Except that she hurts over it. But still, it's her mom's money to do with as she sees fit. Though I will say her mom is being a dbag. And it ain't about the money.
Old 09-08-14, 01:27 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I told my folks to leave something for the grandkids' education, but other than that I'd rather they spend my inheritance while they're alive. I meant it half as a joke, and half seriously, but we're planning a big multigenerational trip to Europe next summer.

Memories > Possessions
Old 09-08-14, 01:38 PM
out walking the earth

I have fond memories of my parents and I live off the money they left me. having my cake and eating it too!
Old 09-08-14, 01:55 PM
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Holy crap that thread is still going.
Old 09-08-14, 02:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have fond memories of my parents and I live off the money they left me. having my cake and eating it too!

Just want to make clear I have no problem with parents leaving kids money either. It's a personal choice and assuming my leaving a little something behind won't ruin my daughter's life I wouldn't mind leaving her something (assuming I have anything left). However, the first hint that my leaving her something would ruin her life...hello charities.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.