Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Atlanta/Decatur needs a LONG "What's Up" thread too!

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Atlanta/Decatur needs a LONG "What's Up" thread too!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-12, 02:25 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RIred
A few miles is better than no miles. I had to ride on 01/01 hoping it will set the tone for the new year.
Haven't been out this year with the crappy rain. Did set up the trainer I got for Christmas and rode a couple days last week. Had this DVD 'Sufferfest', I wanted to smack the guy leading it.
Old 01-10-12, 06:22 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by S_Driver
I didn't read through all 53 pages but - - I am likely to move to Atlanta this summer to attend Emory. I currently live in Portland, OR and am searching places I can move that will be an easy transition, ha! Any thoughts on easy commutes to Emory, all while being a young, safe neighborhood, with great pubs, vegetarian food options, maybe a whole foods and backyards for my dog. Picky enough? Any advice is welcome, I would be willing to give up a few of those.
The nearest Whole Foods to Emory is at Briarcliff Rd. and LaVista Rd. Lots of housing options in that area.
Once you determine where you'll be living we can map out a route for you to get to Emory. Lots of bike commuters around the Emory campus.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 01-11-12, 12:48 PM
Senior Moment

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 4.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am likely to move to Atlanta this summer to attend Emory. I currently live in Portland, OR and am searching places I can move that will be an easy transition, ha! Any thoughts on easy commutes to Emory, all while being a young, safe neighborhood, with great pubs, vegetarian food options, maybe a whole foods and backyards for my dog. Picky enough? Any advice is welcome, I would be willing to give up a few of those.
Check out Decatur GA. Great pubs and fairly close to campus. Very easy commute. There are many area's close to Emory Campus if you can find a rental. Fierce competition I would think. North Decatur and Clairmont Road has small shopping area with one of the best healthy food stores in the area. There are FREE bike friendly shuttle buses from campus to Decatur now. https://emory.transloc.com/ has maps of routes. I use it all the time. I don't live near campus but still commute about 10 miles on residential back streets from the North end of area. There is also the Virginia-Highlands area that is hopping with pubs and great food just south of the campus. Google the area and see what's out there. I am assuming you plan to ride.
Old 01-11-12, 01:25 PM
Senior Moment

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
S_Driver check this out....
https://housing.emory.edu/off-campus/home.cfm
might be a starting point.
Old 01-13-12, 06:56 AM

Bikes: 2002 GF Genesis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey all,

I am looking for a group ride this weekend. I am very new to road cycling, in fact this will be my first group ride so I would want it to be casual but a moderate length. Just for reference my best ride so far (yesterday) was 50mi on Silver Comet with an avg speed of 18.2mph, so the group ride should be slower and shorter than that.

If you have any tips for finding group rides please share.

thanks and I look forward to meeting some of you guys.

Edit:
I live in downtown by Inman Park/L5P, but don't mind packing the bike in the car and traveling for a ride.
Old 01-13-12, 09:01 AM
Life is good

Welcome.
Check out the Southern Bicycle League ride calendar. The link is on the left side of the main SBL page. I believe you'll have to sign up to see the ride info. No big deal. They just like to know who and how many folks are online.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 01-13-12, 10:45 AM

Bikes: 2002 GF Genesis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks Ron, great link.
Old 01-16-12, 02:22 PM

Bikes: Mutant Univega Vivatech

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...places I can move that will be an easy transition, ha!
I moved from NYC a few years back and ended up in Grant Park after a stay in the East Lake/Oakhurst area. How close do you need to be to Emory? Will you be riding or driving to school? I think anything on the eastside would be cool. I would check out the Cabagetown, reynoldstown, edgewood area. You will find cheaper rents, younger folks, backyards, and nightlife plus you would be close to MARTA. Reynoldstown even has a cafe/pub/dog park. Little 5 Points has a food coop and those neighborhoods are not too far from a Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. Plus you've got the upcoming completion of the first Beltline section which pretty much connects all the above mentioned shops and neighborhoods. Grant Park as a nice Farmer's market May through December too. Decatur is pretty cool but pricy and skewed slightly older. If you end up over close to Emory or Decatur check out the Your Dekalb Farmer's Market.

Riding in these areas can be really nice as long as you stay away from the busy car routes which is not too hard once you get the lay of the land. I ride all over these areas regularly and quite enjoy it.
Old 01-23-12, 10:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems like Atlanta is for sure our top pick. Thank you so much for giving me all this information and the hyperlinks. I like the idea of closer to Atlanta (rather then Decatur) because more than likely my S.O. will be working downtown. I also plan on commuting by bike. It will take some time to learn the best routes and what not, but eh, it's the same in a car too. Thank you so much! I am so glad to see that Atlanta has so many opportunities.

Originally Posted by therentedmule
I moved from NYC a few years back and ended up in Grant Park after a stay in the East Lake/Oakhurst area. How close do you need to be to Emory? Will you be riding or driving to school? I think anything on the eastside would be cool. I would check out the Cabagetown, reynoldstown, edgewood area. You will find cheaper rents, younger folks, backyards, and nightlife plus you would be close to MARTA. Reynoldstown even has a cafe/pub/dog park. Little 5 Points has a food coop and those neighborhoods are not too far from a Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. Plus you've got the upcoming completion of the first Beltline section which pretty much connects all the above mentioned shops and neighborhoods. Grant Park as a nice Farmer's market May through December too. Decatur is pretty cool but pricy and skewed slightly older. If you end up over close to Emory or Decatur check out the Your Dekalb Farmer's Market.

Riding in these areas can be really nice as long as you stay away from the busy car routes which is not too hard once you get the lay of the land. I ride all over these areas regularly and quite enjoy it.
Old 01-23-12, 03:41 PM

Bikes: Giant Sedona (Mid 90's), Giant Seek 2, Greenspeed Anura

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anybody else ride in that beautiful weather we had last night and this morning? (Cold and rainy)
Old 01-24-12, 02:00 PM
Senior Moment

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was nice this morning even in the light fog. Glad I rode my commute. Can't wait for ride home! Sunshine!
Old 01-24-12, 02:52 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a big white ball in the sky today and I don't remember what its called........
Old 01-24-12, 03:56 PM

Location: Atlanta, GA. The city too busy to do anything well.

Bikes: Litespeed Palmares.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took the day off just to enjoy biking in the sun as opposed to the trainer. Glad I did. Good weather is not far off. I'm starting to plot this season's charity rides.
Old 01-27-12, 11:26 AM
Senior Moment

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
finally! It is Friday. Commute in was good. Looking forward to ride home!
Old 01-27-12, 11:44 AM
Senior Moment

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cheapskate alert. Where can I park near St Mountain Park to avoid paying entry/parking fee? I know I can ride bike into park for free.
Old 01-27-12, 02:22 PM
Life is good

bg, you can park at most of the churches in Clarkston or Tucker that are along the bike path. If you want to park nearer the mtn you can park in the Marta lot in Stone Mtn. Lots of cyclist and walkers park there.
It's on 4th St, 1/2 block south of E. Mountain St. You can then ride the 2-3 blocks to the west pedestrian gate to get into the park.
See the maps.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
marta.jpg (96.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg
marta2.jpg (96.8 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by RonH; 01-27-12 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-29-12, 09:15 AM
Senior Moment

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent! It looks like such a lovely day today. I may get over there depending on the Honey Do list.... :-)
Old 01-30-12, 12:23 PM
Senior Moment

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That was fun. It really was a nice day. Had expected hills but I was still surprised by that 2 mile climb backside of the park. Will definitely be doing this again soon. Thanks Ron for the parking suggestion. It was perfect. Easy in/out.
Old 02-03-12, 02:08 PM
Life is good

Hi all you ATL folks. I'm down here in sunny Florida.
Did my first ride of the month on the Withlacoochee Trail. Awesome. No need for arm or knee warmers or base layer undershirt.
I'm not used to riding virtually non-stop for many miles (you know in Atlanta you have to stop for a light or cross traffic every few blocks so you get to "rest") so only did 32 miles with the headwind and crosswind we had today.

Last edited by RonH; 02-03-12 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-04-12, 03:06 PM
Life is good

Sorry you're having such crappy weather in ATL.
It was 83F and sunny while I was riding along the Withlacoochee Trail today.

Old 02-05-12, 10:33 PM
Auburn Fan

Bikes: 2010 Trek 1.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
figured i would jump in say hey to everyone. not onthe boards often. but so far this year i've covered 235 miles so far. 180 in january. most of them on my road bike. and just a few ride on the tri bike.
Old 02-06-12, 03:53 PM
Life is good

Glad to hear you're riding Jason.

I've been enjoying the warm sunny weather down here in west central Florida.

Old 02-07-12, 09:51 AM
Senior Moment

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow that Withlacoochee Trail is 46 miles long? nice. glad the weather has been cooperating for you.
Old 02-07-12, 09:52 AM
Senior Moment

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow that Withlacoochee Trail is 46 miles long? nice. glad the weather has been cooperating for you. it's been very nice up here. however I have been down with a cold the last few days. only bonus is being home and not working. ugh this is nasty. do enjoy your rides in Florida!
Old 02-08-12, 08:22 AM
Life is good

It's supposed to be ~80 degrees and sunny today. I'll take the camera on my ride and post some pics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.