Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2016! how was your commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2016! how was your commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-16, 12:52 PM

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
What are Fred Sled rides?
Road rides in lycra with a group...I ride my Fred Sled AKA carbon wünderbike.
Old 07-05-16, 02:19 PM

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it was warm out, incredibly humid, but fairly empty as there were threatening cloudy skies overhead. it was a good commute.
i saw many cyclists out on the road this weekend. it was nice to see!

there were deaths this weekend again in NYC - but this time it was intentional - a black camaro is believed to have run over a cyclist on purpose after midnight. he was a positive force for cyclists in the general cycling community. gothamist.com/2016/07/04/cops_believe_driver_intentionally_f.php the cops then proceeded to tell cyclists they're in the wrong and did a red-light sting. this is really upsetting. Really wish Bill Bratton would go away forever. The NYPD has given us nothing but unchecked privilege cases that end in deliberate murder like Eric Garner and other such killings (like on the road against pedestrians and cyclists).

after the chambers street killing, there was another crash in which another person was run over at chambers st.

motorists are even using protected bike lanes as their own personal motorist lane, obstructing cyclists from using the lane. there's a video on pedestrians doing this too. lesson? it's really awful to get around manhattan. my commute is not affected but everything i see on gothamist and other similar news venues to detail how bad it is to commute - is just crazy. an officer did not identify himself and pointed his gun at some bike messenger (because he had road rage) - he did so within range of an elementary school while kids were out. kids screamed and ran in the other direction toward the school building. parents were enraged. and yet the NYPD makes no apologies at the community affairs meeting. it's sickening.

i feel that NYC is just a representation of the rest of the u.s. and there are stories everywhere just like this. it's the american problem with bicycles as valid road users.
Old 07-05-16, 07:27 PM
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
After 2 years of bicycle commuting, i am still the only bicycle commuter in my area
Old 07-05-16, 08:40 PM

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet
After 2 years of bicycle commuting, i am still the only bicycle commuter in my area
3 years for me, and same here.

Hot, humid ride this afternoon, but I had a nice tail wind. Once again I stopped about 3-4 miles from home and changed my gloves because my hands get so uncomfortable when the gloves are soaked.

At one point I waved a guy in a pickup around during a break in oncoming traffic, and then as I got to my next turn the 2nd oncoming vehicle after the truck passed me was a pickup which laid on the horn as he passed me, like he was pissed about the truck passing me previously. It was nowhere near a close call, though. Not sure what was up with that.
Old 07-06-16, 05:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Storm is coming in so against the wind. Rode the Specialized bike this morning with the fenders. Felt slower but wasn't. Going to be a hot ride home!
Old 07-06-16, 05:02 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 242 Times in 106 Posts
The commute this morning was very nice, and I was able to extend my ride by a couple miles. It is humid and warm this morning.
Old 07-06-16, 07:00 AM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I rode to work yesterday but had to bail on the ride home. It was extremely hot and humid here, and strong thunderstorms started popping up near the end of my work day. I thought that I could leave before the storms hit and stay ahead of the squall line, but no such luck. It started pouring with high winds and hail before I even got my gear together, and the radar showed a line of storms training over our metro area. Sometimes I can wait out a storm, but this one was set up to last for hours, so I caught a ride home with a coworker.

I had to drive today since my bike and gear were at work, but the forecast is essentially the same as yesterday. Like yesterday, the forecast is calling for a 30-40% chance of thunderstorms but they always seem to hit right near the end of the work day. This is our typical summer weather pattern in NC, which is one reason why it's my least favorite season for riding. Bike commuting is like playing Russian Roulette every day. It might be very pleasant in the morning but the afternoons are a total crapshoot.
Old 07-06-16, 07:07 AM

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Preparing for a tour in a couple weeks so rode fully packed this morning. Interesting day to test the load - pretty wicked headwind and looming thunderstorms, the one (thunderstorms) negated the other (headwind)!
Old 07-06-16, 08:07 AM

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, Surly Disc Trucker, Surly ECR, Cannondale Cujo, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Warm 61 with 93% humidity and heavy fog. Might as well have been raining as wet as I ended up. Fog was thick enough to warrant turning on a headlight just so cars could see me. Supposed to be low 80's with full sun for the ride home.
Old 07-06-16, 08:23 AM
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 119 Posts
Today marks my 100th consecutive work commute. The last day I drove to work was on Feb. 10th when I had to meet the washer delivery guy at the house 9 AM, then had a meeting across town at 10 AM.

This is the second time I've broken the 100 mark. The last time I made it to 148 days in a row before a blizzard intervened.

Only had to ride 4 miles in to the client's office this morning. I was smart though and brought a different shirt. The humidity was high enough that the one I rode in got pretty sweaty even though I wasn't pushing the pace at all.
Old 07-06-16, 09:05 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 340 Posts
It's really hot! Even at 5 AM and riding at an easy pace I was dripping by the time I got to the station, only a 5.5 mile ride.
Old 07-06-16, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
I usually take it easy on the morning commute, but I felt jazzed this morning and put in a little extra effort, arriving at the office drenched in sweat. It was a nice 15C / 59F. At the bottom of a hill, I rode past another cyclist who was removing her jacket... why a cyclist would wear a jacket at these temps is beyond me.
Old 07-06-16, 10:24 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7397 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,498 Posts
I just looked at the temperature: 93ºF (34ºC)! Why didn't I feel hot on my ride in? Well, I didn't push hard, but I didn't hold back, either. I wore bike clothes made of synthetic, and while they are uncomfortable off the bike, they're very comfortable on the bike. There wasn't any wind to speak of, but I didn't mind.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-06-16, 10:43 AM

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I hate headwinds. I especially hate headwinds so strong I have to pedal down a 5+% grade. And not even in a very high gear.

At least it was only in the high 70s until shortly after my commute. Could have gone for some of the wind we had at the parade Monday, though; outflow off a storm and it was downright chilly. Perfect balance once the sun came out: it was like being in an air conditioned sun room for the first hour of the parade.

Looks like I might get lucky and have a 15mph right quartering tailwind for the ride home. Might almost balance out the 97F temperature and 55+% humidity.

Last edited by KD5NRH; 07-06-16 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-06-16, 11:00 AM
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
First commute today since drastically twisting my knee in a tubeless tire blowout 2 months ago. Went great! Boy has my cardio suffered in the meantime though.
Old 07-06-16, 11:03 AM
GATC

ps-> I am a drastically happier person biking than driving.
Old 07-06-16, 11:30 AM
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 2,116 Times in 1,379 Posts
@HardyWeinberg what model tire and rim, and what were the circumstances? If you wrote it up, Google isn't finding it for me.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-06-16, 12:05 PM

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Was hotter at 78F and more humid this morning. Am expecting to shake and bake at around 90F this afternoon according to wunderground.com:

https://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin...st?query=10029

Will just take it easy and go slower. I caught up to a Breakaway racing team guy in Teaneck. Took advantage of the downhill in Teaneck right before the highway overpass. Nice guy and he's small light and in good shape. We chatted a bit then he dropped me light a bad habit on the Fort Lee Rd hill. It was expected since he was going at a good pace and I was going to stay in the 39x25 on that hill like I usually do on the longer rides. Caught up to him again after that and we rode down Riverside Dr not going too crazy there. It good to ride with stronger guys in general. Just have to be mindful on days like today that you need to "leave some gas in the tank" for the ride home.

Edit: Almost went down by getting my front tire into a gap between the curb and sidewalk. I only take the sidewalk on the metal bridge over the Passaic River from Nutley to Lyndhurst. Was a surprise and scuffed up the front tire sidewall a bit. Note to self: either stay frosty on that sidewalk and/or go slower on it...

Last edited by ptempel; 07-06-16 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-06-16, 12:09 PM

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
ps-> I am a drastically happier person biking than driving.
Ain't that the truth. I'm usually a stinky and sweaty mess but with a grin ear to ear.
Old 07-06-16, 12:48 PM
GATC

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
@HardyWeinberg what model tire and rim, and what were the circumstances? If you wrote it up, Google isn't finding it for me.

it was a 28mm schwalbe one tire and a fulcrum tubeless rim, on the rear. I was cornering hard and fast and POW it blew off the rim. The first person to come and check me out was a landscaper who heard the explosion through her earmuffs and over her 2-stroke leafblower.

Pressure may have been too high (~100 psi). I only had it that high to check the seal. I had been around the neighborhood a few times with it at that pressure, this was the first commute with these tires. I found out later that a coworker's husband had a tubeless blow off a mountain bike rim on a checkout ride, and he attributed it to too-high pressure. Another colleague had a front tubeless blow out on him and he attributed it to awful manufacture of hutchinson tires. Neither of those 2 went down as hard as I did.

The rim was gouged during the accident but only on the corner, not inward toward the bead or outward toward the braking surface, so I used it again today, w/ the other 25mm schwalbe one, the former front tire that had not worn out. A friend has advised me to ditch both the rim and the tire, and he's probably right, but hey look I got in today! I am not cornering aggressively right now.

I couldn't really see any flaws in the 28 after the accident but when I put it back on this weekend it wouldn't hold air, and eventually it seemed like it might have had a bulge on the bead where the new leak was. Don't know if it had that when I had the mechanical. When I took the tire off, hosed out the sealant (this weekend) before putting the 25mm tire on, I couldn't find that imperfection again. But the 25 holds air great.

The other 28 on the front at 70 psi definitely was nice over the last mile of chipseal. Right now I have the 25 in the rear at 85psi. I had maybe a thousand miles on the 25s with no problems (other than persistent repunctures on the rear tire). I had been keeping them around 80/90 psi. Not thrilled with the longevity, but I like the self-sealing and lack of pinch flats. I definitely don't like the knee sprain, and really glad it happened as I was exiting a traffic circle rather than still in it.
Old 07-06-16, 12:51 PM
GATC

When I put the 25s on last year I went through a 3 day process of checking the seal and pressure before taking them for a real out-of-the-neighborhood ride, I only gave the 28s one day and night of checking before firing it up this time, will not be that optimistic again in the future.
Old 07-06-16, 12:57 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7397 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,498 Posts
I'm not ready for tubeless!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-06-16, 01:09 PM
Disco Infiltrator

Thanks Hardy. I was looking at the Schwalbe One or Pro One tires because they scored well in the rolling resistance test that I posted but when I look for real users there seems to be a lot of stories like yours... not usually with such drastic results.

Schwalbe has this note on their website about selecting a rim... of course this takes the onus off them...

You should only use wheels which are expressly approved by the manufacturer for a tubeless conversion.This is particularly important in the case of the high-pressure system road bike. This will ensure that the rim will bear the specific loads in the tubeless use and that the tire fits safely on the rim. The complete Spline® series from DT Swiss for example has been tested and approved for the tubeless conversion.A conversion is often impossible in the case of very narrow rims (13C), rather lowpriced, not welded or double eyelet rims. In these cases it is mostly impossible to ensure an airtight sealing of the rims with the rim tape.Be cautious in general with rims having only a minimum flange height (clearly under ETRTO standard), such as the Alpha from No Tubes for example. Although these rims are becoming more and more popular due to their light weight, there is an increased risk of derailing. Usually we have a very big safety margin specifically for the risk of derailing. We want to ensure the safe seating of the tire, even when many unfavorable factors occur simultaneously (tolerances of the rim, tolerances of the tire, tolerances of the pressure gauge, application errors etc.). This safety margin is clearly reduced for such rims with a minimum flank height.
with this figure...

Old 07-06-16, 01:18 PM
GATC

Fulcrums meet schwalbe's requirements, I emailed with the Schwalbe NA people before I got them to rule out some other ones that are popular for use with other tires. I am a big schwalbe fan, but was not thrilled with the lifespan of the 25mm rear tire for sure or the blowout from the 28 (all tires are consumables though and its possible that not stopping to patch tubes when the sealant salvages the air in the tire after a puncture could be worth the hassle of more frequent tire replacement) (but no amount of skipping patching is worth a knee sprain). Not sure if it was a manufacture problem with the 28 that led to my problem but even if so it was compounded by me not taking enough time to make sure it was bombproof before taking it for a real ride.

Maybe I am just being dumb in keeping up with them for now, and in my toolbag I keep a tube.

The 'pro ones' seem to get awful reviews but it is possible a lot of the complaints come from goof offs (like me) riding them without sealant, which I would never do with any tubeless setup.
Old 07-06-16, 01:21 PM
Disco Infiltrator

And following up from that, here's the best tubeless writeup I've seen in a while
Why Isn't Road Tubeless More Popular? Part One - How We Got Here - Bikerumor
Why Isn't Road Tubeless More Popular? Part Two - Current Options, Challenges & What's Coming Down the Road - Bikerumor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.