Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Waxing Chain Just Trend or usefull?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Waxing Chain Just Trend or usefull?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-23, 03:06 PM
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I'm not a hot-waxer, but sometimes I look for reasons to work/tinker on my bike because it's an activity I tend to enjoy. I also really like heading out for a ride on a clean, quiet, and smooth-running machine. Maybe some of those hot-wax folks are the same way.

I'm a bit puzzled why you're campaigning so hard against hot wax. Are you getting paid by Big Oil for this?
No, but I have to wonder if some here are being paid by Big Wax.
Old 09-12-23, 03:10 PM

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
No, but I have to wonder if some here are being paid by Big Wax.
Bike stuff is expensive. I'm perfectly willing to sell out for a little cash and all the wax I can dip my chains in.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 09-12-23, 03:44 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7733 Post(s)
Liked 3,668 Times in 1,936 Posts
Shoot, i 'd even take money from Little Wax, or Tiny Wax. I 'd even take free wax.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-12-23, 04:15 PM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,491 Times in 1,286 Posts
People who wax their chains don't ride in winter time. All it takes is one ride in slush and on salt covered roads to mess up your clean freshly lubed chain. Cleaning and waxing a chain just isn't worth it. All I do is just wipe the chain with a rag, put few drops of oil and continue riding. When spring comes I replace the chain.
Old 09-12-23, 04:49 PM

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 699 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Shoot, i 'd even take money from Little Wax, or Tiny Wax. I 'd even take free wax.
What about ear wax?
Likes For spelger:
Old 09-12-23, 07:09 PM
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 386 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
What about ear wax?
Wow, you may be on to something...
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 09-12-23, 10:19 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 351 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
People who wax their chains don't ride in winter time. All it takes is one ride in slush and on salt covered roads to mess up your clean freshly lubed chain. Cleaning and waxing a chain just isn't worth it. All I do is just wipe the chain with a rag, put few drops of oil and continue riding. When spring comes I replace the chain.
I think I have more experience about winter riding than you do. Go read my post in page six. You clearly have no idea how wax works.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 09-13-23, 05:07 AM
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1838 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 980 Posts

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 09-13-23, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2061 Post(s)
Liked 698 Times in 478 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I really don't understand this take. I spend about the same amount of time with hot wax as I did with wiping/re-applying wet-lube.
The process basically is however long it takes to disconnect and remove a chain, and then put it back on. With quick links, this takes about 30 seconds. The rest of the process involves a chain sitting in a pot while it heats up and/or hanging on a hook drying.
"The same amount of time."

Really, you can heat up your pot, remove the chain, dip the chain, reinstall the chain, put away your pot, all in 15 seconds?

That's incredible. Are you the comic book hero the Flash?

​​​​​​
Old 09-13-23, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4642 Post(s)
Liked 5,175 Times in 3,200 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan

Really, you can heat up your pot, remove the chain, dip the chain, reinstall the chain, put away your pot, all in 15 seconds?

​​​​​​
I don’t think that’s what he’s saying.
Old 09-13-23, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Yan

​​​​​​
Lift crockpot, hob and water pot on table and turn on ~ around 20 seconds because I'm slow

Treating chains after wax has melted (dip in boiling water, dip in wax, lift up to dry, hang on pegs) ~ 5 minutes if I'm efficient and not drinking a beer during all that.

Cleanup after everything has cooled ~ 20 seconds

all that time divided by 25 chains (11 bikes, the e-bike has 4 chains and others have 3) = 13.6 seconds per chain + the time it takes to swap a chain and thread the old one on a waxing hanger ~ around 2 minutes of worktime per chain to get a fresh chain on a bike.

Now to be fair, I SEVERELY doubt you can source the rag and oil, get the bike in place, oil the chain, wipe the chain to a point it no longer leaves a black streak on a white rag, cleanup and get everything back in place in 15 seconds. I mean it takes me longer than that to find and fold open my workstand not to mention put a bike on it.

Luckily for me though, I actually enjoy the chores I can do while I wait for the wax to melt. I can do minor maintenance tasks on bikes, clean the garage, drink a beer, listen to a podcast, be away from the family for a while etc.. Usually it takes me a lot longer than 2 minutes to swap a chain on a bike because typically when I swap a chain I go over the bike and see if everything's working correctly. That way I can intervene quicker to things going awry and save time + money in potential repairs.

Before waxing during the slush season i'd need to wipe a chain on every ridden bike every day or come back to a squeaking orange chain the day after that. And I'd be lubing chains every 50km or so at the worst of it. Wax lasts 200km during the worst salt slush.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 09-13-23, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 876 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan

​​​​​​
I have no idea where 15 seconds came from, but this isn't an F1 pit stop - I've never put a stopwatch to the process. If takes a few minutes to wax a chain, it also takes a few minutes to wet lube a chain.

Waxing is not any more time consuming, in my experience.
Old 09-13-23, 08:44 AM

You people crack me up so hard lol.

Lubing a chain means left hand squirting with a bottle, right hand giving the pedal five whirls. Pick up a rag with your left hand, five more whirls. Ten whirls total.

Waxing a chain involves disassembling the chain off of your bike, and cooking over a fire like you're a chef.

And you people think this takes the SAME amount of time??? HELLO???

And to the guy with 25 chains and waxes them all at the same time: you people are claiming waxed chains are lasting three times as long as lubed chains? So what's that, 10k+ miles? So how many miles total can you get from the 25 chains? And how many miles do you ride per year? And how old are you as of today, and what is your remaining life expectancy?

This is a farce.

If you have a weird thing revolving around your hobby, fine. Lots of people have weird things. Just don't try to push it as rational instead of emotional.

Last edited by Yan; 09-13-23 at 08:49 AM.
Likes For Yan:
Old 09-13-23, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4642 Post(s)
Liked 5,175 Times in 3,200 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan

Lubing a chain means left hand squirting with a bottle, right hand giving the pedal five whirls. Pick up a rag with your left hand, five more whirls. Ten whirls total.
I suppose your chain magically stays spotlessly clean with this regime.
Old 09-13-23, 10:09 AM

I wax. I ride in the winter. I ride in the rain. I ride in mud. I ride in snow.

It is worth noting that I did all those things before I waxed as well, and whether I'm waxing or oiling, a wipedown and relube is always adviseable after getting a chain wet or dirty. Given the existence of drip wax, there is no procedural difference between oiling and waxing for a quick post-ride clean/relube.

Old 09-13-23, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by spelger
What about ear wax?
I've not heard great things.

Likes For bbbean:
Old 09-13-23, 10:13 AM

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 699 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Waxing a chain involves disassembling the chain off of your bike, and cooking over a fire like you're a chef.
no, no, no...induction heating. c'mon man, get with the program.
Old 09-13-23, 10:19 AM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4073 Post(s)
Liked 7,665 Times in 3,076 Posts
If takes a few minutes to wax a chain, it also takes a few minutes to wet lube a chain.
Even if you carefully apply one drop of lube to every link, lubing only takes about a minute. Most lubers I know aren't that fastidious, so they're done in much less than a minute.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-13-23, 10:24 AM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5119 Post(s)
Liked 8,456 Times in 3,993 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
I think I have more experience about winter riding than you do. Go read my post in page six. You clearly have no idea how wax works.
Wolfy has no idea how a lot of things work, but has no shortage of opinions about those things. We have come to expect this from him.
Old 09-13-23, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 876 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Even if you carefully apply one drop of lube to every link, lubing only takes about a minute. Most lubers I know aren't that fastidious, so they're done in much less than a minute.
OK, so waxing takes 2-3 more minutes?

What are we even talking about here?
Old 09-13-23, 10:31 AM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5119 Post(s)
Liked 8,456 Times in 3,993 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Given the existence of drip wax, there is no procedural difference between oiling and waxing for a quick post-ride clean/relube.
One big difference I've noticed is how much less time it takes to clean my hands after working with a waxed chain vs. an oiled chain. That's a difference I can appreciate.

All this talk about how much time it takes between one process or another. Is everyone really that concerned about a few minutes?...a few seconds?? I might take to hot-dip waxing just because it takes a little longer, which means I get to hang out with my bikes more.
Old 09-13-23, 11:00 AM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4073 Post(s)
Liked 7,665 Times in 3,076 Posts
OK, so waxing takes 2-3 more minutes?

What are we even talking about here?
Minutes, apparently.
Old 09-13-23, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Yan

Doesn't that sort of quick squirting procedure leave the chain oily all over and thus gunky a ssoon as you hit the road?

​​​​​​​Waxing a chain involves disassembling the chain off of your bike, and cooking over a fire like you're a chef.
Connex quick links are great.

​​​​​​​And you people think this takes the SAME amount of time??? HELLO???
Did I claim that?

​​​​​​​And to the guy with 25 chains and waxes them all at the same time: you people are claiming waxed chains are lasting three times as long as lubed chains? So what's that, 10k+ miles? So how many miles total can you get from the 25 chains? And how many miles do you ride per year? And how old are you as of today, and what is your remaining life expectancy?
So half of the chains are mine and half are my wife's. I actually have no idea of the mileage since I've only now gotten odometers on a few of my bikes. The E-bike is less than six months old and has around 2000km so yearly kilometers are expected to be in the region of 5000km. The wife gets around 4000km of commuting miles per year with her commuter. We usually do a tour every year so that's 1000-2000km for two bikes. I used to ride recreationally 100-300km per week so there's a calculation there somewhere. The fatbike gets very little mileage, but riding time is pretty high. These days it's a bit less since currently time is a bit short (kids you know)

So if the ebike for example gets 5000km per chain it'll be four years before needing to get new ones.

I'm expecting it'll be a few years before any chains need replacing. However that's better than swapping every year with oiled chains and regular drivetrain swaps due to chains wearing without indicating it. During the slush season you need to solvent wash a chain in order to get an accurate wear indication.

It's almost as if you assume I just started waxing without having had done any maintenance on any of our bikes prior to that.

You also gloss over the absolute cleanliness of wax. If the only advantage was not having to wash off black grease marks off my kids, I'd still go for wax. But my clothes also stay cleaner and I don't have to worry about getting black marks inside our car. Shifting is also better than with any oil I've tried.

​​​​​​​This is a farce.
You certainly have very strong opinions but seemingly little experience.

​​​​​​​If you have a weird thing revolving around your hobby, fine. Lots of people have weird things. Just don't try to push it as rational instead of emotional.
See the above.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 09-13-23, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I suppose your chain magically stays spotlessly clean with this regime.
No, my chain is not "clean", just like the underside of my car, the bottom of my shoes, and the sewage pipe of my toilet are not "clean". There are some devices in the world that are not meant to be operated "clean". These devices can be kept operational with the correct maintenance, even if their operating environment is not "clean".

Originally Posted by elcruxio
You also gloss over the absolute cleanliness of wax. If the only advantage was not having to wash off black grease marks off my kids, I'd still go for wax. But my clothes also stay cleaner and I don't have to worry about getting black marks inside our car. Shifting is also better than with any oil I've tried. You certainly have very strong opinions but seemingly little experience.

What this chain waxing reminds me of are those old ladies who wash the four paws of their dogs in a little bowl of soapy water every time they come home from a walk. Yes, they exist, we all know a grandma like this.

Now if you told this to the general population, they'd think you're a freaking nutter. But I bet on www.dogforums.net, there are fierce threads debating the benefits of washing your dog's feet before coming indoors. Why, you don't know how dirty dog feet are and how much poop they step in? What if they get your carpet dirty? Washing dog feet is being CLEAN.

I installed my current chain (11 speed, about $30) at the beginning of June. In the last 3 months (today is Sep 13) I've ridden 4300 miles (7000 km), according to my bike computer which I keep on my bike for all rides. My chain is currently at 0.4% wear. I change my chains at 0.5% wear, so my chain is 80% through its lifespan. Do you know how much of my life I have wasted on keeping my drivetrain "clean" during this 4300 miles? Grand total of maybe 5 minutes. Yep, just the old squirt-and-wipe whenever I remember. Now if I was waxing my chain every 350km, I would have had to do immersion waxing a whopping TWENTY times. Even if I had two chains to rotate and save time, that's "cooking dinner" TEN TIMES.

Yeah, no.

Last edited by Yan; 09-13-23 at 12:00 PM.
Likes For Yan:
Old 09-13-23, 11:18 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7733 Post(s)
Liked 3,668 Times in 1,936 Posts
So many people attacking or defending two perfectly valid options for chain maintenance ... if people put this kind of care into something substantive, we could have world peace, end hunger and disease, end homelessness .... and after all that, re-start the fight over chain lube.
Likes For Maelochs:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.