Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How I Live Above My Means

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How I Live Above My Means

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-11, 07:10 PM

Liked 259 Times in 144 Posts
Within a ten minute walk of our house in St. Paul, we enjoy the following:

Six very fine public elementary schools. Some even offer total immersion programming in Spanish and German.
Six excellent private elementary schools.
Four very good public and private middle schools.
An award winning public high school with an AP focus.
A Bill and Melinda Gates public high school with an IB focus. Our oldest son goes there and is absolutely thriving in all measures. We are very proud of him.
Two top ranked private high schools.
...and four top notch universities.

All of our needs are met in St. Paul, and we couldn't be happier.

I won't even go into amenities/perks, property values, sports opps. for the kids and parents, and low/manageable crime rates.

Is it perfect?

Hardly.

Are we happy and content?

Absolutely.
Old 10-31-11, 07:15 PM

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Liked 733 Times in 236 Posts
The Amish also sell a lot of meth and operate some of the most horrific puppy mills in the state. They are regularly in the news for animal cruelty and fraud, regarding sick & diseased animals sold as healthy to unsuspecting buyers.
Old 10-31-11, 07:22 PM
Banned.

Liked 4,829 Times in 1,709 Posts
I'm going to be commuting this winter for a couple reasons:

1. Got my first-ever set of fenders in the pipeline and have to justify having them on the bike
2. I feel a very real need for an uncomfortable challenge I can meet and exceed

It's nice to know the car will be there, though

DD
Old 10-31-11, 08:12 PM
iab

Liked 3,946 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Is it perfect?

Hardly.
It's really friggin' cold there. That's a deal breaker for me. I do like visiting your town. Very nice.

I lived next to a magnet school in Chicago. Except when your kids are babies, they could be morons, you just don't know. As it turns out, my kids are smart and would have gotten in the school. 3 blocks from my house. When my oldest was in first grade, they closed the school and my kids would have been bussed for 75 minutes, each way. My taxes are twice that of Chicago. And it is worth every penny for not attending those schools.
Old 10-31-11, 08:28 PM
Dolce far niente

Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
It's really friggin' cold there. That's a deal breaker for me.
I had the pleasure of passing though Chicago one winter. On the day I was stranded at O'Hare, the wind off the lake was producing a wind chill factor of 60 below zero. How much colder can Minnesota be?

S. J. Perelman
Old 10-31-11, 08:36 PM
iab

Originally Posted by bigbossman
I had the pleasure of passing though Chicago one winter. On the day I was stranded at O'Hare, the wind off the lake was producing a wind chill factor of 60 below zero. How much colder can Minnesota be?
Honestly, a boat load. Yes, we will get a day like you describe. Rarely. 60 below would be once a decade. They get 3 weeks of that crap every year in Minneapolis/St Paul.
Old 10-31-11, 08:50 PM
FBoD Member at Large

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Honestly, a boat load. Yes, we will get a day like you describe. Rarely. 60 below would be once a decade. They get 3 weeks of that crap every year in Minneapolis/St Paul.
I've lived in MSP going on 14 years now. While I've felt the lowest wind chill here the lowest air temp I've felt was back when I lived in KY! We had, one day in 26 years there, 30 below (but zero wind). Haven't seen that in MSP yet.
Old 10-31-11, 08:54 PM

Bikes: -1973 Motobecane Mirage -197? Velosolex L'Etoile -'71 Raleigh Super Course

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
And I make it a point of pride to ride every single one of those days.

We're not in the same league as 65er, where for pretty much 6 weeks a year, the high might be ten below Fahrenheit. But it gets pretty damn cold... or it used to. It's been warming up a little, more snow and less glassy bright cold. I kind of miss it, honestly.

So is it worth the tradeoff, for me, to live in hired lodgings in downtown Minneapolis, to live car-free in an urban core? Am I really saving money? Probably. I live in Minneaposis' last flophouse, and I live with a pack of welfare queens and the their babydaddy thugs. I've come to understand that they are fellow humans no less and no more than I. I've also come to understand that some of them are just horrible, horrible people.

But.

But I trade off 16 hours/week working the front desk against my rent, and I live there for free. It is just (barely, thinly, an iota) worth it to me to be able to live in downtown Minneapolis rent-free, and to be able to not need a car. There is no point in the greater metro I can't get to in an hour (give or take 15 minutes) between rail, bus, and bike. Mostly the bike. With a day's hard ride I am well out into the world in any point of view. I didn't post anything about it here but I took my VeloSoleX on a fast trip down to my family home just north of Madison (less than a mile off the Elroy-Sparta Trail), in late September, and it took me about 17 hours of riding in 2 days. It was pretty easy.

But. I'm single with no romantic interests right now, no children and very few bills. It's easy for me to live within my means, as my means are so small. I'm getting ready to get a better job and start trying to put together a business of my own, and I imagine it will be an education. I know I'm going to have to change my living situation soon, and probably buy a car before 2012 is done. Dammit. I'm going to try to keep from using the car, but 35* and raining is snivel territory for all but the elite to ride. Anyone know where I can get a reliable Volvo 240 sedan?
Old 10-31-11, 08:56 PM
iab

The winter of 93/94 we hit 25 below air temp. Last year was the first year we dropped below 0 in 5 or 6 years. Sorry, but Minnesota is friggin cold.

But so is Chicago. When real retirement comes, San Diego (which of course in German means whale's vagina) here I come.
Old 10-31-11, 09:26 PM
Dolce far niente

Originally Posted by iab
Must have been my lucky day.

S. J. Perelman
Old 10-31-11, 09:37 PM

My Norwegian grandpa said it kept the riff-raff out.

I don't know about that, but our family skis, downhill and x-country, in this stuff all winter.

In fact, a friend of mine just bought an ice boat.

As if the darn wind chill isn't scary enough.

Let's go out on a frozen lake and go faster!

Interesting place we have here.

...and btw, we go up to the Canadian border where our cabin is located 5-10 times per winter.

Nothing like a little winter camping and wolf tracking to set you straight.
Old 10-31-11, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by bigbossman
It can kill you if you aren't careful.

I'm not kidding.

You should see the emergency supplies we carry in the car when we go up to the cabin in January and February.

No playing around on desolate wilderness roads, as it invites real emergency situations.
Old 10-31-11, 10:15 PM
Dolce far niente

I'm not kidding.

You should see the emergency supplies we carry in the car when we go up to the cabin in January and February.

No playing around on desolate wilderness roads, as it invites real emergency situations.

Oh - I'm no stranger to cold weather and outdoor activities. The Sierra is a pretty harsh winter environment, as the Donner party found out. I spent much of my youth chasing powder, and even jumped out of a few helicopters (up in Alberta) in my time. The last time I hunted pheasant in the Oklahoma panhandle, it was about 20 degrees but there was a good prairie wind blowing, so God only knows what the chill factor was. At least I was able to move around then, not like the few days I spent last winter on the Chesapeake in that little 16' duck boat.

You do have to know what you're doing, be prepared, and pay attention to what's going on in the sky - even on bluebird days.

I'm all for playing in it and visiting it - I do that pretty regularly. I just don't want to live in it.

S. J. Perelman
Old 11-01-11, 12:27 AM
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
I haven't read past the first couple pages.

I do commute on a bike, all weather, all year.... BUT my wife works at the same building and drives a car, at the exact same time that I ride a bike. I suppose that means I save nothing and my bicycle commute is just an exercise of futility. I enjoy it... ok, sometimes it sucks during the winter.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 11-01-11, 05:47 AM
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Liked 348 Times in 176 Posts

I'm not kidding.

Especially when you come across copies of the Necronomicon. ALWAYS have a shotgun in your trunk when going to a cabin in the woods.

Happy Post-Halloween!

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 11-01-11 at 05:54 AM.
Old 11-01-11, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Especially when you come across copies of the Necronomicon. ALWAYS have a shotgun in your trunk when going to a cabin in the woods.

Happy Post-Halloween!
Even scarier!

Pics from the Armistice Day Blizzard!

November 11, 1940
Old 11-01-11, 02:02 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fishtoes2000
There are Detroit schools -- DPS, charter and private -- which are superior to suburban schools today. There is significant performance disparity among Detroit schools which runs from great to poor. It would be inaccurate to consider them a homogeneous system.

Also, Detroit adults were found to be 47% "functionally illiterate" which is not the same as illiterate. Of course neither is desirable condition.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_illiteracy
Nope, I don't consider the Detroit schools a homogeneous system; after all, I graduated from U-D High (a private, Jesuit-run school).

I was referring to the DPS schools. And, yes, Cass Tech and Renaissance High are fine public schools, but not everyone gets to attend those.

And even if your student does, there remains the transportation issue -- either walk, bike, drive, or rely on the unreliable public transit system. Bike in Detroit? Sure -- but either in daylight or in a group.

Yes, functionally illiterate is not the same as purely illiterate -- but the effect is the same: inability to handle everyday tasks in one's daily and work lives that involve reading.
Old 11-02-11, 07:52 AM
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
The Amish also sell a lot of meth and operate some of the most horrific puppy mills in the state. They are regularly in the news for animal cruelty and fraud, regarding sick & diseased animals sold as healthy to unsuspecting buyers.
Enough reason to withdraw our aircraft carrier protection from them right there.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 11-02-11, 07:56 AM
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by Poguemahone
Enough reason to withdraw our aircraft carrier protection from them right there.
Do we really want a power vaccum that the Unitarians and Quakers might fill? Sure - they preach peace, love, understanding, tolerance and oatmeal, but that's downright un-American!
Old 11-02-11, 08:32 AM

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Liked 733 Times in 236 Posts
If you see one Unitarian in your house, you know there are at least a hundred inside your walls.......
Old 11-02-11, 08:37 AM
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by fender1
If you see one Unitarian in your house, you know there are at least a hundred inside your walls.......
On the plus side, they're probably in your walls helping you to remove asbesthos and providing insulation to keep your children warm.
Old 11-02-11, 08:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
https://lifehacker.com/5848665/the-tr...t-of-commuting
in Philly I would not be able to do the math without adding a private school to the numbers.
Sad, but true, unless you live in Queen Village and your kid goes to Meredith.
Old 11-02-11, 08:40 AM
Recently Addicted

Bikes: M1 w/105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"means" is so overstated anyway. it's unbelievable what's considered necessary today to 'survive' vs what's actually needed to function as a normal human being.
Old 11-02-11, 08:42 AM
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by formicaman
Sad, but true, unless you live in Queen Village and your kid goes to Meredith.
There's a great school out in West Philly as well, but it's tough to get your kids in, even if you live there. They get major UPenn backing.
Old 11-02-11, 09:47 AM

Liked 862 Times in 388 Posts
Winter riding in Toronto is pretty cold too, I live near the lake and the winds can get the temperature down to -40 celsius very easily.

The coldest I have ever been riding was in -32 °C a few years ago. I rode my bike because it was very dry out and most of the snow had been cleared by the city so the terrain was quite manageable. The funniest part of the ride was bumping into my brother in law; he was driving home and slowed down to see who the nut out on his bike was. He later told me that he wasn't surprised in the least that it was me

Ever since that ride, -20 is child's play.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.