Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Did you ever dream you would spend $1K to $10K + on a bike(s)?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Did you ever dream you would spend $1K to $10K + on a bike(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-15, 10:53 PM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 902 Posts
Originally Posted by ErichVonCartman
LOL... I upgraded them even before they even left the store or before they were even unboxed! So now I don't have any urge to upgrade them as they all are configured the way I like.

I guess many of you will have guilt trips paying so much for bikes, not me!

If you count the extra parts such as spare wheels and such, My Santa Cruz Nomad All-Mountain Bike was $8000 when it was said and done, my Stradalli Road Bike was about $4500, and my Nashbar Carbon 105 "Grocery" Bike was about $1100 when it was all said and done.

Pics of my 2015 purchases...

Santa Cruz Nomad - with Vivid Air, Fox 36, SRAM X01, and Ibis Wheels

Stradalli SL1 with Dura Ace 9000 throughout and Yoleo Series Wheels

Nashbar Carbon 105 converted to a Flat Bar Grocery Bike
So uh.. You're pretty much bragging, right?

I'm sure there are many more people with more expensive bikes than yours and are not feeling any shame for it. They just don't feel the need to boast.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 12-20-15, 04:12 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
So uh.. You're pretty much bragging, right?

I'm sure there are many more people with more expensive bikes than yours and are not feeling any shame for it. They just don't feel the need to boast.
Bragging? I was just calling it like it is. There are people that has 1 purse worth 5 times more than my three bikes combined.,. And I know one of those people. So I don't need to brag amongst the commoners like myself.

are you offended I posted about my 2015 purchases?

please Discuss....
Old 12-20-15, 06:46 AM

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
Bragging? I was just calling it like it is. There are people that has 1 purse worth 5 times more than my three bikes combined.,. And I know one of those people. So I don't need to brag amongst the commoners like myself.

please Discuss....
Bragging?? I wouldn't call it that at all. On a bike forum there is not much I would rather see than a rack of good pictures of some nice bikes.

Only problem I personally have with it is now I can't stop thinking about the Santa Cruz Nomad. That is a 29 , right?
Old 12-20-15, 07:20 AM
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
I can remember when a thousand bucks was a top end bike. Doesn't seem all that long ago but it was. As a few people have noted we're not the only ones who spend big bucks on our obsession. We just have to listen about how much one at WalMart costs all of the time.
Old 12-20-15, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 2,242 Times in 1,505 Posts
I would say listing how much you spent for each bike and saying "many of you will have guilt trips paying so much for bikes, not me" is bragging. Lots of people here spend as much for one bike as you did on three and don't mention the price. We all like seeing pictures of nice bikes and know how much they cost.

I don't see where that offends anyone; to me it's just out of place.
Old 12-20-15, 11:32 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
I would say listing how much you spent for each bike and saying "many of you will have guilt trips paying so much for bikes, not me" is bragging. Lots of people here spend as much for one bike as you did on three and don't mention the price. We all like seeing pictures of nice bikes and know how much they cost.

I don't see where that offends anyone; to me it's just out of place.
Sorry you got offended. Just calling it like it is. A lot of people I know personally do have guilt trips when spending more than $2k for a bike. And so what if is bragging? Those that out due me most certainly have a right to brag also and I will give them big props! No Hates here!

There are a lot of people, non-cyclist type, that thinks it's crazy to spend even $1k for a bike, but yet they have no problems paying $40k for a car. Me, I would rather have 3 bikes for $15k, and a 25k car than a $40k car.
Old 12-20-15, 11:44 AM

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
What's wrong with bragging about a "pride and joy" item or collection on a hobbyist/enthusiast forum?
Old 12-20-15, 11:55 AM
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TriDanny47
What's wrong with bragging about a "pride and joy" item or collection on a hobbyist/enthusiast forum?
Nothing wrong with it but isn't it silly that an argument is about to break out over it? Why don't we all just move on and talk about our "overpriced" bikes.

Don't you know I've spent more on a saddle than a whole bike at WalMart?
Old 12-20-15, 03:38 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TriDanny47
To a lot of people we are not allowed to be proud of and brag about the stuff we own. By their logic, we are not allowed to love, be proud, and brag about our $200 Schwinn because someone else has a $600k Ferrari.
Old 12-20-15, 04:47 PM
Administrator

To a lot of people we are not allowed to be proud of and brag about the stuff we own. By their logic, we are not allowed to love, be proud, and brag about our $200 Schwinn because someone else has a $600k Ferrari.
You misunderstood my point. These nothing wrong with being proud of stuff. But saying what kind of bike iat is and showing the pictures does that. Adding how much money you spent is showing off.

That's all I'm saying and I won't bring this up again.

By the way all three of those bikes are nice - each has a different purpose which is good. Enjoy them all and put lots of miles in having a good time.
Old 12-20-15, 05:20 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7740 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 1,943 Posts
No, by that logic we Are allowed to brag about the Schwinn ... but not the SuperSix Evo we also own.

I think it is comical that the guy puts all those stickers on a Nashbar bike, but I don't think they look bad at all. I think the stickers on his Stradalli look lame ... but since it his ride, my opinion means zero. (besides, they look like factory graphics. he should have done the job himself, if the Nashbar is any indication. he nailed that one.)

I am not sure I have followed this thread. I thought it started off being about some guy realizing that we now find it reasonable to spend $10 grand on a bike ... or would if we could afford it, or can at least understand it, whereas before we got into biking, we probably couldn't understand it.

Now it is about whether we can like the bikes we bought? How does that make sense?

I second Walter, above ... let's just enjoy what we have spent our hard-earned cash acquiring.

I have almost finished my 1984 Raleigh. In my usual fashion, I started the build because the bike was almost complete and I could get it running for almost nothing, and ended up replacing almost everything and spending so much it would have been far wiser to buy a brand-new bike. But I am a lot happier that I have the old Raleigh about ready to roll again.

I would be far happier I think, dropping a few grand on a carbon-framed Ultegra bike ... which I will again start considering once I get the Raleigh done. ... assuming I didn't spend too much of my savings on the Raleigh
Old 12-20-15, 06:22 PM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 902 Posts

please Discuss....
I don't really care to discuss it but I'm just wondering why you feel the need to list the price (please don't answer). I honestly think you didn't get such great deals. And to to put Santa Cruz stickers on a bike that is not... to some that's akin to putting lipstick on a pig. But to each his own. Some (not saying YOU) have a need to boost themselves up a bit and it's sad - they are depending upon ego - but if they are insecure to do so, then we can be there to make them feel ... special.

But I feel they should really just love themselves for who they are inside rather than how much they spend on things.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 12-20-15, 06:27 PM
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I put Tempest together for under $500 with a $50 bike, maybe $75 shipping, a hawk's eye for parts and the love and friendship of good people who helped me along the way over the last eight years.

(The grey bike that's unfinished in my avatar of several years back)
Old 12-20-15, 08:43 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
You misunderstood my point. These nothing wrong with being proud of stuff. But saying what kind of bike iat is and showing the pictures does that. Adding how much money you spent is showing off.

That's all I'm saying and I won't bring this up again.

By the way all three of those bikes are nice - each has a different purpose which is good. Enjoy them all and put lots of miles in having a good time.

Did you read the original title of the original post? It asked if we ever imagined spending 10k on a bike. I came close! Spent 8k on one bike.

I don't agree about showing off. I was not trying to show off, but even if I were what does it matter? So what if I was showing off or not showing off? What is your request and what do you want me to do? Would it make you feel better if I did not mention how much I paid for each bike?
Old 12-20-15, 09:01 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
I don't really care to discuss it but I'm just wondering why you feel the need to list the price (please don't answer). I honestly think you didn't get such great deals. And to to put Santa Cruz stickers on a bike that is not... to some that's akin to putting lipstick on a pig. But to each his own. Some (not saying YOU) have a need to boost themselves up a bit and it's sad - they are depending upon ego - but if they are insecure to do so, then we can be there to make them feel ... special.

But I feel they should really just love themselves for who they are inside rather than how much they spend on things.

I am am just answering you inside my head and out loud. Feel free not to read this post.

Did you not read the original post? It was about if we ever imagined paying 10k for a bike, and I as just following the thread so I mentioned the price of my bikes.

Who cares if I got a good deal or not.. The bike industry should love it that I support them. I think I got decent deals, but the cost became higher once when you add up multiple wheelsets, multiple tire choices, multiple crank sets, multiple pedals, other components, shoes and clothes.... Well it all adds up! I have never been able to to nail the perfect set up all in one shot ever, but this year was my first year bicycling again after a 12 year break so I played around a lot more with chain rings, crank lengths, carbon wheels, etc, etc.

I think the Santa Cruz stickers look great! I Understand not everyone can have the awesome tastes I have... But just remember I don't set up my bikes for others to feel good about themselves, I do it for me. Do you think that is selfish? Forgive me for being selfish?

As as for being insecure... I don't think I am, and if you really take the time to know me you will find out I am anything but insecure. However, I know you won't do that because you are happy being Haterz. I am not here to convince you of anything. Even if I was insecure, what does it matter if I am or not? Does it really matter? It seems like everything I do really bothers you!

Can you make a list for me of stuff you don't want me to do? I will try my best to comply so you can feel good about yourself.
Old 12-21-15, 01:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I knew I'd be spending big bucks* on a bike after about Ride # 2 on my first road bike. I've never been afraid to own nice stuff. Why not? What's sort of fascinating is how we all manifest this energy. For me it's all about finding that spot where you've achieved "really, really nice one of those" but are at the early part of the point of diminishing returns curve. I won't chase it waaay out onto the bleeding edge; I'm just too.... responsible.

(If my wife read that she'd blow tea out of her nose!)

*$3500, for me
Old 12-21-15, 05:27 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Folks: the reason it's not polite to talk about how much our bikes cost, or to make it obvious how much we spend on them is because it has the potential make people feel uncomfortable - not necessarily offended, but uneasy. Bikes cost what they cost, we spend what we spend. Once we've bought the bike(s), it's a fait accompli. We're not here to collect and study economic data, so no one gains anything by hearing or reading about it; it only serves to raise doubts.

It makes sense to consider whether a bike at a certain price point has certain features, to realize, for example, that a bike with electronic shifting is going to cost considerably more than an otherwise identical one without, or that a bike simply assembled from basic materials is more economical than one carefully crafted from hard-to-work stuff, but we shouldn't second guess whether we need any of it, or why we spend so much or so little. When it comes to enjoyment of the bike, how could the price matter? Does happiness have a price? Should we be concerned about whether we are immodest or profligate, or whether we're shortchanging ourselves? Those are very personal concerns, not properly subjects of public discussion.

That said, the original question was sort of interesting, but dollar figures needn't have been mentioned. Did we know, coming into this sport or hobby, a) what the price ranges for "casual," "enthusiast" and "pro" equipment were and b) did we have any sense of how enthusiastic we would become, hence, did we realize how much we'd likely have to spend to satisfy our enthusiasm? My answer is pretty much yes - prices have come as no surprise, and I started out with some ambition, but then I didn't realize just how enthusiastic I'd become, so I've ended up spending a bit more on this sport/hobby and less on others than I would have guessed initially. I certainly didn't realize I'd give up motorcycling on account of it - that was the biggest surprise.

Last edited by kbarch; 12-21-15 at 05:34 AM.
Old 12-21-15, 07:35 AM
Administrator

kbarch,

Good post! Lots on insight and reality in what you say
Old 12-21-15, 08:15 AM
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
back in my days we didnt have bicycles. we had to walk uphill, both ways, in the snow, barefoot (singular.. we couldnt afford feet)
Old 12-21-15, 08:40 AM

Bikes: 2015 CAAD 10; 2016 Felt Z85

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch

That said, the original question was sort of interesting, but dollar figures needn't have been mentioned. Did we know, coming into this sport or hobby, a) what the price ranges for "casual," "enthusiast" and "pro" equipment were and b) did we have any sense of how enthusiastic we would become, hence, did we realize how much we'd likely have to spend to satisfy our enthusiasm?
Yes, you are probably right that I didn't have to mention price when I started the thread...except that my friend did mention price, so it seemed somewhat relevant.
But you did capture the essence of what I was getting at.

As far as others "bragging" (or not) about price...I don't really care. Good for you if you can afford nice stuff. I don't take issue with someone being successful enough to buy what they want.
And I enjoy reading about how people enjoy their less expensive rides also.
Old 12-21-15, 08:49 AM

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 87 Posts
How can any one not understand that a good bike ..well made machinery can not cost over a $1000. When u break it down cost of material manufacture and delivery I find it hard to see how any one can think a real bike can cost less. Every thing is relative also. When u think u can spend $100 at the bar in a couple hours what is a grand for something u can uses again and again. I think most people that would say it is too much money for a bike have no interest in biking and would rather drive.. As I have gotten older it boggles my mind how much I have spent on car on truck repairs. Just this week had heater core, some front end part were worn, 2 sensors to make sure passed emmisions, brakes oil and filter ...was like $1600. I use it for work as I remodel etc..luckily my jobs are close by so cut my fuel cost..but like I said evry thing is relative. I just cant see how some one can buy made in china stuff that weighs like a tank and ridez like brick? PS no offense to chinese..I guess my bikes are from the 70s ,80s, and 90. I guess I am not up on the newer bikes ??

Last edited by rossiny; 12-21-15 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-21-15, 08:55 AM

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I knew bikes could be expensive almost 25 years ago when I was looking for my first "serious" bicycle and they had a road bike in the shop that was about $12K - this was spring 1991. I didn't consider that "crazy" or outrageous - you get what you pay for in terms of quality with anything "tech" or "mechanical".

Ah ... the age-old struggle between the haves and the have-nots... won't ever change.
Old 12-21-15, 09:18 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
Folks: the reason it's not polite to talk about how much our bikes cost, or to make it obvious how much we spend on them is because it has the potential make people feel uncomfortable - not necessarily offended, but uneasy. Bikes cost what they cost, we spend what we spend. Once we've bought the bike(s), it's a fait accompli. We're not here to collect and study economic data, so no one gains anything by hearing or reading about it; it only serves to raise doubts.

It makes sense to consider whether a bike at a certain price point has certain features, to realize, for example, that a bike with electronic shifting is going to cost considerably more than an otherwise identical one without, or that a bike simply assembled from basic materials is more economical than one carefully crafted from hard-to-work stuff, but we shouldn't second guess whether we need any of it, or why we spend so much or so little. When it comes to enjoyment of the bike, how could the price matter? Does happiness have a price? Should we be concerned about whether we are immodest or profligate, or whether we're shortchanging ourselves? Those are very personal concerns, not properly subjects of public discussion.

That said, the original question was sort of interesting, but dollar figures needn't have been mentioned. Did we know, coming into this sport or hobby, a) what the price ranges for "casual," "enthusiast" and "pro" equipment were and b) did we have any sense of how enthusiastic we would become, hence, did we realize how much we'd likely have to spend to satisfy our enthusiasm? My answer is pretty much yes - prices have come as no surprise, and I started out with some ambition, but then I didn't realize just how enthusiastic I'd become, so I've ended up spending a bit more on this sport/hobby and less on others than I would have guessed initially. I certainly didn't realize I'd give up motorcycling on account of it - that was the biggest surprise.

You are great at playing semantics! Offended and uneasy are all one and the same to me. I guess this is why the English language is great! we can make basically the same word sound so different. One sounds like a Hero, while the other one is the villian.

It seems many share your sentiment about posting about bike prices. I had no idea that posting what I paid for my bikes and accessories would be consider offensive. I send my most sincerest apologizes for pointing out what I paid for my bikes, I did not mean to make anyone feel "uneasy". (Uneasy is the Magic word of the Day!).

1) when did society get so sensitive about anything and everything???
2) Does being "uneasy" or Offended make you right and that means you have the right to make others stop their every day life????
3) When can we mention how much we paid for our bikes? If we got it for $50 at a garage sale, then would it be OK? Or is posting how much we paid for our bikes something we should never do?

I myself think it's silly that people think a "little boy" like me is bragging over $15-20k. Especially when we have the real Big Boys have boats and planes that cost into the millions!
Old 12-21-15, 09:31 AM

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
People, people, how is talking about how much money you spend on a bike be bragging anymore than posting about how far or fast you can ride?
Old 12-21-15, 10:10 AM

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Don't ya know, we live in the age of PC - gotta check that privilege at the door.

I just added two more bikes to my collection - one very high end with Campy Super Record EPS (albeit a clearance "bargain" bike because it's a 2013) and a so called "GMC Denali" I picked up at Wal-mart because I collect General Motors memorabilia.

I promise I'll only talk about the Wal-mart bike from now on (will be boring, going up on the wall in my rec room).

Last edited by TriDanny47; 12-21-15 at 10:23 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.