Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-17, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Alright, I'm a mouth breather on the bike, why is that bad? I've heard it forever, but it's just really uncomfortable for me. Isn't air, air and I want to get in a bunch of it? My nose isn't great either, which I assume is why I'm such a mouth breather at anything above like Z2 (and I'm fat and slow and don't even ride bikes right now, but whatever).
The nose filters out allergens and dust, and warms the air before hitting the lungs; that's the standard answer but imo after 150 hr or so I'm not sure breathing out the nose is the best thing to do.

I know breathing techniques like Pranayama and Buteyko emphasize nose breathing, but I'm not sure how that applies to racing since that's typically a relaxed state and not Tempo++.

I'm curious to hear from others as well since I can't nose breathe past 150 hr (which may be due to asthma).
Old 12-01-17, 05:09 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Alright, I'm a mouth breather on the bike, why is that bad? I've heard it forever, but it's just really uncomfortable for me. Isn't air, air and I want to get in a bunch of it? My nose isn't great either, which I assume is why I'm such a mouth breather at anything above like Z2 (and I'm fat and slow and don't even ride bikes right now, but whatever).
Bad typo on my part, I meant to say that for hard efforts you should be breathing out of your mouth, not nose (I corrected original post).

I'm not saying you should _always_ be breathing out of your mouth; but the harder the effort, the more beneficial it is. There no way you can take as much air in through your nose, no matter how open your nasal passages are.
Old 12-01-17, 05:49 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
if you try to ride and nose-breath only it'll be z1. it's how I limit my z1 rides.
Old 12-01-17, 06:55 PM

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
if you try to ride and nose-breath only it'll be z1. it's how I limit my z1 rides.
I did that a lot in the old days. It was an uncomfortable 155BPM (max was 190).'
My Z3 was likely your Z1 :-)
Old 12-05-17, 09:12 AM
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
This place hit a wall.
Old 12-05-17, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
Just got my hearing aid. I can now hear EVERYTHING.

The world is so loud.
Old 12-05-17, 12:43 PM
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Turn the volume down, your sanity will appreciate it.

Demain, on roule!
Old 12-05-17, 03:41 PM
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Just got my hearing aid. I can now hear EVERYTHING.

The world is so loud.
wow, congrats!

btw it's probably good you didn't have them when we met in 2015, after you called me fat.. =]

my race videos
Old 12-06-17, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
wow, congrats!

btw it's probably good you didn't have them when we met in 2015, after you called me fat.. =]
I didn't call you fat. I said you were bigger than I expected. For some reason, I had it in my head that you were like 5' 2" tall and weighted 100 pounds.
Old 12-06-17, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 8417 Post(s)
Liked 9,329 Times in 4,583 Posts
Another fire this morning in windy SoCal. We got evacuated yesterday because of the Creek Fire. Houses burned a couple miles from here but we came home in the afternoon. The wind here is ridiculous. It was too windy for the firefighting airplanes yesterday.
Old 12-06-17, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by big john
Another fire this morning in windy SoCal. We got evacuated yesterday because of the Creek Fire. Houses burned a couple miles from here but we came home in the afternoon. The wind here is ridiculous. It was too windy for the firefighting airplanes yesterday.
Prayers out to you.

I was in the same boat in 2003 during the Old fire. We lost about 200 homes in our neighborhood, and were evacuated for 2 days. I still remember driving on the freeway and seeing massive flames on both sides, it looked like something out of a movie. It was pretty surreal seeing your house on television, and they'd pan out to see ones near it on fire.
Old 12-06-17, 12:22 PM

Found this:

https://i.imgur.com/IuS83DO.mp4

Last edited by furiousferret; 12-06-17 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-06-17, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4272 Post(s)
Liked 2,990 Times in 1,838 Posts
It's time for me to take a break from social media again. Just got sick of a relative posting fake news and called him on an especially dumb repost he made claiming that teenage boys making a circle with their thumb and index finger below their waist was some sort of gang signal that they were looking to buy some coke.

Of course I always lose my patience for fools shortly before I have to travel home to visit family for the holidays. Probably something to do with it being finals season and the fact that I have to be nice to all my students with their inane questions, attempts to weasel out of me what's going to be on the final, and their excuses and grade begging, but yeah, I need to work on it and stay off of facebook.
Old 12-06-17, 12:36 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
yikes. escape from LA...
Old 12-06-17, 01:26 PM
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
It's going to snow here soon. That really sucks.
Old 12-06-17, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by himespau
It's time for me to take a break from social media again. Just got sick of a relative posting fake news and called him on an especially dumb repost he made claiming that teenage boys making a circle with their thumb and index finger below their waist was some sort of gang signal that they were looking to buy some coke.

Of course I always lose my patience for fools shortly before I have to travel home to visit family for the holidays. Probably something to do with it being finals season and the fact that I have to be nice to all my students with their inane questions, attempts to weasel out of me what's going to be on the final, and their excuses and grade begging, but yeah, I need to work on it and stay off of facebook.
Social media while it may be the ultimate representation of free speech, the majority of the population aren't responsible enough to use it.

If you have millions (or even a few) of followers you have influence, so if you use that influence to sway public opinion it should be well thought out and you should be able to support that argument based on principles or facts and there should be some objective analysis. That rarely happens. Even worse those opinions are supported by the media outlet that holds the bias to support it, instead of doing their actual job.

Last edited by furiousferret; 12-06-17 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12-06-17, 08:57 PM
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
On the topic of social media, news, etc.. I've been getting a bit frustrated with a couple of (close) coworkers just because our political opinions are so different. Need to try to stay away from those discussion because they leave me all a bit muddled afterwards by trying to hold my tongue. I just disagree on such a fundamental level with some of the things they talk about and the way they talk about them that it frustrates me.

It's a very different world now that I live in Utah compared to back home in Seattle. Being in Utah with the whole public lands thing that's been going down recently has been the provacteur of the discussions.
Old 12-06-17, 11:04 PM
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I didn't call you fat. I said you were bigger than I expected. For some reason, I had it in my head that you were like 5' 2" tall and weighted 100 pounds.
You know how sensitive roadies are. Especially fat crit racers like me!

my race videos
Old 12-06-17, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by furiousferret
That's a different fire than the one near my house. I could see the plume from that one when I went to work today. When I got home this evening the winds are still pushing the fire away from home, hoping the wind doesn't change directions tonight.
There are 5 different fires in SoCal now, the largest one is around 90,000 acres, about 50 miles from here. That one has taken at least 150 homes and is still out of control.
Old 12-06-17, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hope you stay safe big john ... between the recent fires up in NorCal and the new fires in SoCal, California as a whole could use a fire break. Sadly, no significant rain the extended forecast.
Old 12-07-17, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by hack
Hope you stay safe big john ... between the recent fires up in NorCal and the new fires in SoCal, California as a whole could use a fire break. Sadly, no significant rain the extended forecast.

Thanks. Looks a lot better here today, less smoke in the air. Maybe I can get a good ride in this Saturday.
Old 12-07-17, 04:44 PM
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2770 Post(s)
Liked 3,359 Times in 1,758 Posts
In other news, the Lilac fire just sprung up in N County SD, currently at 500 acres uncontained. It's about 4.5 miles away from my parent's house as a bird flies and directly in the strong prevailing wind path for the next few days. Crazy!

The fire is right below Sullivan Middle School, which is the S/F line for the San Luis Rey Road Race, for those in the know.
Old 12-07-17, 04:58 PM
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
In other news, the Lilac fire just sprung up in N County SD, currently at 500 acres uncontained. It's about 4.5 miles away from my parent's house as a bird flies and directly in the strong prevailing wind path for the next few days. Crazy!

The fire is right below Sullivan Middle School, which is the S/F line for the San Luis Rey Road Race, for those in the know.
Living in north-central Florida I have also been through close calls with wildfires. No problem this year as we have had all-time record amounts of rain. But in some years it has been very different.

Years ago I was coming back into town (Gainesville) and looked ahead and said to myself "That looks like it is snowing, but it is way too warm". It was ash falling from the sky from a wildfire about 10 miles away near Waldo, Florida. When riding through it the ash was accumulating on my arms. Luckily none of it was still hot and glowing.
Old 12-07-17, 05:01 PM
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 19 Posts
The other day I found some drywood termite frass on a window sill in my house.

Frass is the termite equivalent of poop, BTW.

I called our pest control folks to take a look and they told me I was lucky. I found it really early. It looks like I only have 4 or 5 termites and they can spot treat it instead of tenting the house and fumigating.
Old 12-07-17, 06:27 PM
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2770 Post(s)
Liked 3,359 Times in 1,758 Posts
It's now over 1000 acres and within 2 mi from my parent's place and going further south. 20+ homes destroyed and an area surrounding Vista High School and our favorite Italian restaurant just got evacuated. It's gonna keep tearing south.

Fortunately there is a slight westward component to the wind vector and it is currently slightly west of my parent's home - it's close enough such that there is a high angle. It may even pass them from a N/S perspective but they need to be prepared for evacuation.

Crazy stuff - I'm having trouble focusing at work. On the bright side it looks like we may have a couple more guests for music night tonight.

Edit: 2,500 acres, 0 % contained

Last edited by TMonk; 12-07-17 at 06:31 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.