Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-08, 02:09 PM
<user defined text>

Bikes: 80's peugeot. Somewhat knackered. Lovely new Salsa Casseroll singlespeed.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man, its still raining.

Other than that all is good. New bike is still a lot of fun.
Old 02-14-08, 02:35 PM
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
One very important thing to realize for an all-weather commuter is that fenders are not a luxury. They are a huge necessity. I thought wearing water-resistant skiing pants would be adequate fender replacement, and I was wrong. It's no fun arriving at your destination with a soaked ass. At least they dry quickly (skiing pants and asses, both)...

Other than that, great commute. One of my fastest ever - mainly because I left earlier than usual and managed to avoid rush hour, and because I tend to favour main streets after snowstorms since side streets are full of mucky snow.
Old 02-14-08, 04:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wewh, it was chilly this morning for Florida. 31F !! I know what you all are thinking. But earlier this week it was in the mid 70s. Tomorrow is supposed to be back up in the 70s :-)

Sunny days all this week. It's good to be in the South...for the time being.
Old 02-14-08, 06:27 PM

Bikes: gaint crx 2 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great ride this morning had a late start so decided that a spot of riding before work was the order of the day. Managed to fill in a road down by the beach and the weather was just great.

All up around 65 km and really cant wait until tonight now to get my fat ass back on the bike.

One thing that did annoy me though was the rower's in the city putting there boats accross the public footpath with hardly any distance to get a pedestrian through let alone a bike see pic below.

Old 02-14-08, 09:14 PM
Living Life On Two Wheels

Bikes: Giant Rincon 2007 Model - Black & Grey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice picz appreciate the share. Where was that specifically?

Possibly - Melbourne ??? Who knoweth
Old 02-15-08, 05:42 AM
Seeing things

Bikes: '73 Bertin, '04 LeMond Poprad, Miyata 1000, and counting...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some of these views have me a bit jealous, but I've been partially compensated this morning with a very fine ride in. Right at the freezing mark (maybe a touch above) with no wind to speak of--right in the wheelhouse of my basic winter kit.
Old 02-15-08, 05:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
south bank melbourne plus this one from port melbourne

and another flat on way home bugger

Old 02-15-08, 06:05 AM
The Flying Scot

Bikes: Custom (Colin Laing) 531c fast tourer/audax, 1964 Flying Scot Continental, 1995 Cinelli Supercorsa, Holdsworth Mistral single speed, Dahon Speed 6 (folder), Micmo Sirocco and a few more

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cold here - a degree or two above freezing, but no wind so a nice run in.

The sunrise over the Castle was pretty good (no camera)

1985 Sandy Gilchrist-Colin Laing built 531c Audax/fast tourer.
1964 Flying Scot Continental (531)
1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (Columbus SLX)
1980s Holdsworth Mistral fixed (531)
2005 Dahon Speed 6 (folder)
(YES I LIKE STEEL)
2008 Viking Saratoga tandem
2008 Micmo Sirocco Hybrid (aluminium!)
2012 BTwin Rockrider 8.1
Old 02-15-08, 06:19 AM
Stan

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse. Salsa Mukluk disc trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
cold, 10 degrees F.
down hills, the wind was bitter cold. I guess I'll have to get a balaclava.......
Old 02-15-08, 07:05 AM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I left for work late yesterday due to some overnight snow that made the roads a little sketchy at 6:30 am when I normally leave. I left at 8:45 and it was fun actually riding to work in daylight for a change. I had a pretty nice tailwind most of the way and made fast time (16.8 mph pace). Afternoon was much warmer and the wind had died down, so I had a fast ride home as well. First time I have averaged that fast (16.5 mph) since last summer for the round trip. The days are getting noticeably longer now. This morning was the first time that it was starting to get light already when I left for work, and I didn't need my headlight for seeing after the first 5 minutes or so, although I keep it burning all the time so cars will see me.
Old 02-15-08, 07:17 AM

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Uneventful. I added 5 miles or so to the ride home, since I'm planning to tour over the weekend. I had a great time going up and down hills, then turning around and doing them again.

My bands:
Old 02-15-08, 09:23 AM

Bikes: Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First for me today. The weather man said there was a small chance for rain in the Valley of the Sun, so it rained. I have been commuting for a couple of years and have never road in the rain, that changed today. My wife even offered to get up and give me a ride to work but I wanted to give it a go. Of course living in southern Arizona I have never felt the need for fenders, until today. It was fun ride, kind of takes you back to your childhood days when we went puddle jumping after rain storms. Cars seemed to give me a wider berth this morning also, not sure what to make of the old dude riding in the rain.
Old 02-15-08, 11:38 AM
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was a pretty easy ride in. Temps were up above freezing for the first time in a while. Traffic worked in my favour, and I even changed clothes down in the bike room so I don't have to drag my bag around with me. It's casual Friday, so I had shoes, pants and shirt with me already.
Old 02-15-08, 12:40 PM
Now with tartar control..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My commute was good. I rode 2 blocks to the gas station to top off my tires with air. Then I rode the last block to work.

Good and short. It was clod this morning.
Old 02-15-08, 12:55 PM
Contrapuntal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice and cool - about 40 when I left my house. It bucketed down cold rain all day yesterday (seldom have I been so happy that I work from home on Thursdays!), but today is clear, with snow on the mountains all around town.

Got a late start, so I rode the less beautiful and more hilly route to the bus stop and took the bus much of the way. Last time I tried it, it took 35 minutes to get to the bus, on slightly underinflated tires and without enough breakfast. Today, my tires were fully inflated and it took 30 min - but I noticed that once again I really hadn't had enough to eat before starting out. Maybe with a better meal in me I can get it down to 25 min? Must continue this experiment....
Old 02-15-08, 03:20 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Welcome tyro!

On days like today I can't imagine why anyone would want to sit in a car when they could ride a bike.
Old 02-15-08, 05:33 PM

Bikes: Pacific Duece AL with mods

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since my commuting days have been cut I came up with an idea. Instead of just sitting there while I study I locked the bars on the stationary bike and just read half of the diabetes chapter in my Medical-Surgical Nursing book in 7 miles. While it may not count even in my book as a commute, I learned that pedaling allowed me to concentrate on reading much longer than I normally can otherwise.
Old 02-15-08, 08:06 PM
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
At the end of week 1 post-studs, it still feels like a whole new activity and I am still totally energized and loving it. It was real work pushing those damn knobby sticky things up the hill.
Old 02-16-08, 12:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grrr..I shouldn't be riding today, but two weeks off the bike and i feel like a chain smoker on cold turkey. -9 Degree celsius without the windshield factor..but where I ride it's pretty open ground and knife stabbing head wind. My therometer on the watch was reading -19 degree celsius....there was a half inch of slush and snow on parts of the ground.
Old 02-16-08, 12:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm just going to complain some more...but my saddle also developed a clicking sound half way through the ride....hahahah....*snaps
Old 02-16-08, 02:16 PM
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Finally installed fenders on the beater - and was rewarded with a dry bum and clean face.

Today was another really fast commute - of course the traffic was extremely light on a Saturday morning. An amazing thing is that I picked just the right combination of clothes, and was perfectly comfortable but not at all sweaty during the ride. That doesn't happen too often, frankly. I am a warmth-loving creature and tend to overdress.
Old 02-17-08, 06:38 AM

Bikes: Pacific Duece AL with mods

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I pumped the tires back up to 75 psi. I had been running them at 50 and man what a difference. I did 10 miles on the stationary bike while studying before work last night and I guess having my muscles warmed up helped too. It felt like I flew to work. This morning on the way home I should have let a little air out since everything was coated with ice. The freezing rain started before 5am and by 6 it was nasty out. thank goodness for studded tires! I made it home ok, but had a little trouble after I stopped to talk to one of my new neighbors.
Old 02-17-08, 02:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
saturdays commute seen me with another flat i must be getting real unlucky here so i think a change of route might be the order of the day this week just in case.

on the plus side the new pump is awesome
Old 02-17-08, 08:42 PM
<user defined text>

Bikes: 80's peugeot. Somewhat knackered. Lovely new Salsa Casseroll singlespeed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flats suck. A colleague has just changed to kevlar reinforced tyres as he has have a bunch of punctures recently. I think all the heavy rain has washed all the glass / twigs etc from the gutters into the roads.

Ordinary commute today. Nothing much to report. Light drizzle.
Old 02-18-08, 03:55 AM
Seeing things

Bikes: '73 Bertin, '04 LeMond Poprad, Miyata 1000, and counting...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No commute for me today (Federal holiday), but the weather here is remarkable--light scattered showers and a 4:50 AM temp of ~60 degrees F! It really does feel like Spring out there.

Why the hell am I up this early on a day off? Well I always am. This morning though, I think I'll just lounge about a bit, then ride out for a breakfast and a stop at the market. After that, I have my Bridgestone/Nexus project to finish building up today, so that should keep my interest engaged...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.