Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2019! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2019! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-19, 04:15 AM

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
weather is at that point in time where i have no idea what to wear besides that have confirmed that i shaved off 10 minutes from my daily commute with new road bike instead of city bike.
Old 03-20-19, 05:05 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 91 Posts
A pleasant but not uneventful ride this am. The temp was 21 f degrees with a full moon and dry road conditions. That is till I got to the down hill that that I is the last part of my ride. My side of the road was covered in ice half way down. It was not a thin sheet it was lots of ice. I am not sure if a water main broke some where or what happened during the night. I got off my bike and walked till there was no ice on the road. Also I was late leaving the house this am, which almost never happens so I was late for work today.
Old 03-20-19, 06:55 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Good thing you saw the ice before riding on it, @essiemyra.

If we were to present Bike Commuting awards, @Tundra_Man would win the Craziest Conditions category hands down. Sorry the flooding threat is not yet over and coming in different forms.

Yesterday afternoon's cross/headwinds were rough again, but better than Monday's headwind.
Coldish at 25F this morning. Got the warmer boots and mittens on again.

My high school graduating class is discussing our 30 year reunion on Facebook. One of my first thoughts when considering going is I wonder if the local bike shop still has a Saturday morning ride.
Old 03-20-19, 08:22 AM

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2609 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 1,221 Posts
Another frosty morning, so I wore my Primal "holiday sweater" jersey one more time. (BTW, is there an archive of Primal designs somewhere?) With schools on spring break, it was a nice, quiet ride in, and good views of the frost on the field waiting for the sun to come over the ridge. Of course the glare when the sun DID come up was tremendous, I'm glad I don't ride into that!
Old 03-20-19, 09:05 AM

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Haven't checked in in awhile, been predictably boring and cold. This morning was the first tease that Spring might actually happen, a balmy 37F. And along with warmer temps come rain and thunderstorms this afternoon.
Old 03-20-19, 09:20 AM
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
37F sunny; today just stuck w/ shorts and t-shirt (and coat and gloves) for ride in, rather than wear long sleeves and tights in and pack them home. Only supposed to get to the 70s this afternoon rather than 80s at least.
Old 03-20-19, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fantastic. 9.5 miles into downtown Chicago. Dark, calm, and a very light rain. Latest build of an old Trek Antelope with a Sturmey Archer IGH (8-speed) is ultra solid, smooth, and quiet.

Graham
Old 03-21-19, 06:19 AM

Over night rains and more forecast for this afternoon. But the ride in was fine. Warmer than previous days at 44F, so just shorts, short sleeve, jacket and gloves.
Old 03-21-19, 07:25 AM
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 116 Posts
28F this morning. Rode to our company's office for the first time in three weeks (versus going directly to a client location.) Flooding made the route selection rather interesting as the most direct and safest way there is underwater. Wound up having to take a longer, hillier route and ride down some pretty busy streets. Thankfully I left the house extra early so traffic was a little lighter on the busy streets than it would be at rush hour.

Last day of my month of IV antibiotics! Woohoo. Hopefully I never have to do that again.
Old 03-21-19, 08:00 AM

Interesting ride last night. There were a bunch of police and fire trucks blocking some streets far from the business district, so (after waiting for some dump trucks to turn left), I stopped and had a conversation with one.
Me: Did they decide to have a parade here or something?
Officer (chuckling): No, they were doing some construction and dug up a gas main.
Me: OOoooh. I think I'll take the long way home.
Officer (laughing out loud by now): Yes, you might want to go the long way home.

Social media, when I got home, had at note that the road was closed, both directions, traffic should take an alternate route; it's because of a utility problem.

Utility problem? Phone pole down is a utility problem. Power outage is a utility problem. Water leak is a utility problem. But a gas main is a horse of a different color!

This morning wasn't so exciting. 15 degrees warmer than yesterday, and my timing sucks. If I'd left a half hour earlier, or a half hour later, my glasses wouldn't have been covered in fine water droplets when I got to work. But that wasn't a utility problem!
Old 03-21-19, 09:15 AM
GATC

42F nice sunrise
Old 03-21-19, 11:10 AM
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Upper 30s, light winds, and rode between rain showers all the way to work. I only got a little damp. Nice morning.

Old 03-21-19, 01:30 PM
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Rode across town over lunch to a client's office, and passed the river. The flood that deposited ice chunks all over the place was one week ago today, and despite rain and above-freezing temps there is still plenty of ice left. I stopped and took a picture of one field of ice as I looked down from a bridge. The photo doesn't properly capture the size perspective, as the big chunk in the middle left is about as long as a moving van.

Old 03-21-19, 07:02 PM

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale SuperSix 3, 1987 Raleigh Technium 440

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
First commute of the year, no longer able to commute directly from home after moving last year. My 16 miles became 25 miles. Instead I can drive to the MUP trailhead I always take, cut it to only 11.5 miles. Maybe I will be able to handle that 3 days a week. 37F and cloudy with 15mph NW wind in my face all the way. Toe covers not enough, or. I just need to get quicker and get out of the cold. Time off the bike has slowed me more than predicted. Left knee is not happy with the hills. Starting PT next week to try and iron out patella tendonitis that wont go away. If the knee holds up after rehab I may try round trip from home, figure 4 hours in the saddle, maybe around the summer solstice.
Old 03-22-19, 01:43 AM

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
it was exhausting!! left home wayy too late which meant i had to pedal pretty damn fast to make up some time. at work now and my entire body feels like jello.
Old 03-22-19, 02:49 AM
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Really good. Spring is coming! Baby daughter is coming!

Schwalbe Marathon is showing some significant wear for such a limited number of miles. UK roads are very tough on tyres!

Maybe I'm getting fatter!
Old 03-22-19, 04:41 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Drizzly this morning, got to the station a little damp after making good time riding the fixie (only my second fixie ride of the year... I have to wear SPD shoes on the fixie, so it's a little more complicated than usual). When I got to Penn Station, there in the Citibike station were a bunch of the new pedal-assist ebikes, so I took one of those. Fast! Easy. But the driizzle had turned to something more like rain, and the front half of me is pretty wet now.

I must admit I like the pedal assist ebike. Get up to top speed with almost no effort. They'll start charging extra for them in a few weeks, after which I will eschew them... but until then I will grab one when available.
Old 03-22-19, 06:28 AM

Minor sprinkles on the way home last night and plenty windy. Then 15 minutes later the rain started and it was almost sideways with the wind. Glad I beat that.

Nice Friday morning ride. Clear - full moon still in view until 8am or later. Hot chocolate and donuts from the department manager when I got in. Don't mind if I do!
Old 03-22-19, 06:51 AM
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
The rain faked me out yesterday. Thought it was going to be worse than it was. I just could not find my motivation to ride in drizzle/ rain in the dark. Especially when we just bought a new to us car since my Civic was totaled. I had thought about going on a run yesterday evening as well.. that did not happen. Legs were sore from my run Wednesday evening. I think this morning ride worked the lactic acid out and they felt really good and I felt faster this morning. It was warmer than i thought it would be and the wind was not as bad as the weather app was calling for it to be.
Old 03-22-19, 06:52 AM
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
@mgw4jc It is always nice when the dept manager brings in donuts and you have just ridden.
Old 03-22-19, 07:47 AM
The Fat Guy In The Back

27F this morning with a mild 12 mph headwind.

But the big story is today was the first day in about three months that I was able to ride my hybrid. There's still ice on the ground in spots, but they were isolated enough that I was able to deal with them without studded tires. It felt like I was pedaling air! I zipped along nearly twice as fast as the winter bike at the same effort level, even with the headwind. My ride to the hospital the previous two weeks took 40-45 minutes. This morning it took 25. I wound up relaxing in the lobby for 15 minutes and then went into my appointment early.

Speaking of my appointment, I got my PICC line removed this morning. I plan to spend the weekend scratching the spot on my arm I wasn't allowed to touch for the last four weeks.

Surprisingly enough, my brain switched right back to "clipless pedals" mode. I thought three months of wearing boots on platform pedals might mean I'd have to get used to bike shoes again, but there was no re-adjustment period and I didn't have to think about them one bit.

As I was waiting at a stop sign, a woman on a motorized scooter went by on the cross street. When she saw me on my bicycle she honked and waved with a big grin. I didn't recognize her, so I'm guessing she was just happy to be back on two wheels after the long winter.

Last edited by Tundra_Man; 03-22-19 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-22-19, 07:51 AM

Clear, bright, and back down near freezing this morning. Because of the cold I wore my jacket, which I didn't need yesterday since it was warmer (and then it misted really heavily!), what's up with that?

Another car followed me a few blocks to the ophthalmologist's office where he/she turned in (happened a few weeks ago, too). This car was right on the edge of "too close for comfort" and I wondered, while I was being followed, why they didn't go around me -- there was a perfectly good open lane on that 5-lane street! After a few more blocks I decided that if the driver thought they couldn't see or drive well enough to pass safely, they were probably right. Still, I never knew that quarter mile long, 15' high hill was that long or steep!
Old 03-22-19, 09:37 AM
GATC

37F, sunny. On pace for first 100 mile week of the year and feeling pretty beat.

Old 03-22-19, 11:27 AM
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
... On pace for first 100 mile week of the year and feeling pretty beat.
Me, too, it'll be first 100 mile week since mid-January at least. Weather has been pretty good lately but work has been slow, spent a lot of time working from home and a lot of time not working. This IS the first week I've been in the office more than 3 days this year.

Edit: just realized this week also made 1000 miles on my current commuter I built back in November.

Last edited by Phamilton; 03-22-19 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-22-19, 12:31 PM
GATC

Originally Posted by Phamilton
Me, too, it'll be first 100 mile week since mid-January at least. Weather has been pretty good lately but work has been slow, spent a lot of time working from home and a lot of time not working. This IS the first week I've been in the office more than 3 days this year.

Edit: just realized this week also made 1000 miles on my current commuter I built back in November.
Sweet!

I did not ride a ton in February between snow and injuries. January was busy. But no real detours to my commute like I have tacked on every day this week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.