Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Anybody bike to church?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Anybody bike to church?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-08, 03:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Church culture has changed quite a bit over the last few decades. I remember the days when everyone dressed up quite a bit for church with suits for men and dresses for women. You'll still find that in a few churches, but the dress code is a lot more relaxed now. Lycra cycle clothing might be out of place, but wind pants and a T-shirt would be quite acceptable.
Old 03-09-08, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.living-room.org/slackers.htm "cycling for slackers"

I ride to church; we had a priest visiting from Guatemala who was moved by the whole notion that somebody would forego using a car, and he blessed my bike :-)
Old 03-21-08, 10:33 PM
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cassiel
I'm trying to go seriously car-lite these days. Mostly, this is pretty convenient, but I've found one place for which it isn't yet - church. Here's the thing: it's 5 miles to one parish, including two significant hills just before I arrive. It's closer to 8 miles to the other, and once again it's hilly. I don't want to be all disgusting when I get there, and frequently it rains, but for a one-hour Mass it seems sort of overkill to drag along a whole change of clothes, get there early enough to change into it, then change again and go home. On the other hand, it seems highly inappropriate to wear spandex in church! Does anyone else bike to church? How do you make it work?
When I bike to church I wear what's appropriate for the weather. God's in charge there. IMHO(accent on the humble part...we ARE talking about going to church) showing up in 'full kit' spandex, etc. IS inappropriate, but wearing rain/cold weather gear and/or padded lycra/short combo is perfectly ok. My wife and I attend a small country church about 6 (rolling hills)miles from our house and bike, frequently. We get teased, good-naturedly, but there's a respect in the teasing. A couple gave us some of those lime-green hi-vis t-shirts to wear. It's a Baptist church and although the perception would be they're very conservative, they've come to accept us and love us as if we were family. We're different in alot of ways, but we come together to worship and praise and that's the only thing God's worried about. So, I'd encourage you to bike to church and attend mass in whatever is appropriate for the weather and put the savings in the collection plate as God asks for 1 in ten and returns it a hundredfold.

BTW, 5 miles isn't that far and just take it easy up the big hills. Take a small terrycloth towell w/you and you'll be fine. Just get there 10-15 mins early to allow some 'cool down' time.
Old 03-22-08, 04:56 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I consider all of Earth to be God's temple. So I never ride outside of Church.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 03-22-08, 07:59 AM
cyclopath

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wife and I are reformed Jews so everyone thinks we are weird anyway. We ride to temple (4 miles)when the weather is agreeable and frequently ride our tandem. We dress LL Bean casual as do some others at our temple, No one has ever said anything, but then again they all know we are an easy touch for their committees and projects.
Old 03-24-08, 09:23 PM
Que CERA, CERA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
During ice-free months, my wife and I do 10 km (6 miles) to church, in and out of a couple of small ravines. For her, it's the big ride of the week; for me, it's recovery-ride pace.

Generally we leave the house later than we should and go hard to have time to change when we get there.
Old 03-24-08, 09:50 PM

Bikes: Trek Mountaineer modified with a NuVinci; Montegue Paratrooper folding mountain bike; Greenspeed recumbent; Surly Big Dummy with Stokemonkey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RCordone
Wife and I are reformed Jews so everyone thinks we are weird anyway. We ride to temple (4 miles)when the weather is agreeable and frequently ride our tandem. We dress LL Bean casual as do some others at our temple, No one has ever said anything, but then again they all know we are an easy touch for their committees and projects.
Isn't riding a bicycle on the Sabbath considered "work"?
Old 03-25-08, 03:13 AM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Elkhound
The local (I assume reformed?) synagogue nearest me, some of them drive, but at one time most of the members lived within walking distance. I would consider cycling less "work" than walking...but times change

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 03-29-08, 04:52 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wogsterca

My wife, who is out of town, and I attend a kinda downtownish Baptist Church, that holds about 2500, the parking lot, holds maybe 40 cars, .
2500 parishoners at each mass?! Holy smokes, those are rock-concer proportions! Are your choir boys the Who with Roger Daultry and Pete Townsend or something?

I would like to be on your church’s prayer tree. That is a lot of prayer power!
Old 03-30-08, 06:09 PM
Yep

Bikes: Gianni Motta road bike, old Diamondback MTB converted to a touring bike, and a GT MTB converted to an e-bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
I don't drive to church, nor do I walk, or ride my bicycle, or skateboard, roller-blade - nope none of those. In fact I don't go to church at all - problem solved.
Old 04-02-08, 09:43 PM
GadgetJim57

Bikes: Yuba Sweet Curry eBike, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Riding to Church ....

Originally Posted by Newspaperguy
Church culture has changed quite a bit over the last few decades. I remember the days when everyone dressed up quite a bit for church with suits for men and dresses for women. You'll still find that in a few churches, but the dress code is a lot more relaxed now. Lycra cycle clothing might be out of place, but wind pants and a T-shirt would be quite acceptable.

I stopped driving my van several months ago, and it's a good thing I did!! The motor mounts were broken, and the CV joints were shot. The van is fixed now, but still need to get new tail light covers. I had to reinstate my insurance, or else DMV would suspend my registration .... What a hassle!! Even if you don't drive, you still must have insurance.

Since I've been riding my bike again for transportation, I've been learning how to get around and take care of business, shopping, errands .... I usually ride the bus and take my bike with me. I have a serious problem with my feet and cannot walk very far or stand for long.

I ride the bus to church, but take my bike with me, because the bus stop is too far on Sunday. I've been riding my bike all around town, and this morning rode to downtown in only 17 minutes. I don't have to worry about how I dress when I go to church. Our church is very relaxed .... Some people dress up, many do not.

God is not concerned with our dress. He wants our heart ....

-- vja4Him
+_+_+_+_+_+_+
Old 10-26-08, 06:21 AM

Bikes: Trek 7.5 FX, Trek Navigator 2.0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride my bike to church when possible. In the summer I wear shorts and a tee shirt. I change into long pants and a different shirt at church. When I was a kid everyone wore a suit and tie, but things have changed. I hardly every wear a coat and tie anymore. I sing in the choir and with the choir robe on I don't guess you would have to wear anything and nobody would know the difference.

I stopped by the office on my way to church this morning. I wore a pair of dress pants and polo shirt with a sweat shirt over. The temperature is 44 this morning. Pulled my socks over my pant legs to keep them out of the chain.
Old 10-26-08, 10:04 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Considering all the other differences between Orthodox and reformed Jews, I'd guess that they don't have the same ultra strict Shabbat regulations either...

Anyway, bike to church, definitely and wear whatever you like. God sure won't disapprove, and if anybody in the church is, they need their priorities straightened out in a big way.
Old 11-17-08, 04:51 PM
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I have.
Old 11-17-08, 05:38 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Newspaperguy
I am a lector and ecumenical minister (give out the eucharist), so I always wear a suit and tie.

I bicycle with the suit and tie - about 10 miles round-trip. I wear gaitor leggings to keep the chaingunk off of my pants.

It probably is an interesting sight in the USA to see a fellow bicycling in a suit, but I think it is kinda cool.
Old 11-20-08, 07:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wrote a letter to the church I visit. It is a unity church, where the dress is very relax. Something about come as you are. Anyway, I requested a bike rack. At the time gasoline was at least four dollars per gallon and many people chose not to drive to church due to the cost of driving. The next week there was a bike rack in the front of the church. There are several people who use that bike rack. I am impressed.
Old 11-20-08, 08:57 PM

Bikes: Trek Mountaineer modified with a NuVinci; Montegue Paratrooper folding mountain bike; Greenspeed recumbent; Surly Big Dummy with Stokemonkey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mike
I am a lector and ecumenical minister (give out the eucharist), so I always wear a suit and tie.
So am I, but where I go the lay ministers wear albs or cassock and surplice, so what I wear doesn't matter. (When I'm not lecting, I'm in the choir, so I wear the choir robe; hence, what I wear TO church is not seen IN church.)
Old 11-20-08, 09:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RCordone
who thinks you're weird? the non-jews in your town or the jews in your town that know you ride to shul?
Old 11-21-08, 01:22 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TuckertonRR
who thinks you're weird? the non-jews in your town or the jews in your town that know you ride to shul?
Perhaps both? I know that some Reform Jews find themselves like Aesop's Bat--who was not accepted by either the birds or the beasts. The gentiles look at them askance for being Jewish--and the more 'frum' Jews look down on them for 'not being Jewish enough.'
Old 11-30-08, 12:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
spandex is unacceptable anywhere but a race

I bike to wherever I go and in jeans and a shirt most of the time
Old 12-04-08, 11:23 AM
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
One of my pastors has been really supportive in finding funding for a bike rack at our Congregational UCC church.

So far, I've only been night-riding to choir rehearsal and to Deaconate meetings, mainly because I bring my two small sons with me on Sundays. (my wife sings professionally at a church in Westchester co.) It's 7.2 miles with a major hill and one tight shoulderless stretch, and I don't quite feel comfortable taking them in the trailer.

I like the idea of bike-to-church day for Earth Day. I think I could get that happening in my congregation, too.

As a Deacon and a choir member, I wear a tie every day. Not sure what I'd do if we started riding to church. I hope to do it when the boys are older.
Old 12-04-08, 11:57 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Standalone
As a Deacon and a choir member, I wear a tie every day. Not sure what I'd do if we started riding to church. I hope to do it when the boys are older.
I take it your choir doesn't wear robes? (Because who cares what you're wearing under the robe.)

Tie in pocket. When you get to church, duck into the men's room and put it on.
Old 12-04-08, 12:30 PM
The Drive Side is Within

I take it your choir doesn't wear robes? (Because who cares what you're wearing under the robe.)

Tie in pocket. When you get to church, duck into the men's room and put it on.
Well, sometimes if we're not singing during communion, I have to serve the elements, or as with a few Sundays ago, I gave a lay sermon on Laity Sunday.

Tie in pocket makes sense. It's definitely not the clothing that is holding me back from riding there on Sundays in addition to Mon and Wed nights.

The UCC is an open minded denomination in general, and I'd be welcomed wearing pretty much whatever. But it's also a church that was founded on that site in 1639 by some early puritain settlers, so there's definitely a stuffy English sort of tradition going on. As a stuffy english teacher of Englsih descent myself... I'm more than content to sport a tie.

To me, wearing a tie and clip every day (even cufflinks some days!) is sort of my own little punk rock rebellion. I mean who DOES that?

Gotta be different....!
Old 12-04-08, 12:44 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Standalone, how old are your boys? You said above that transporting them was (part of) the problem.
Old 12-04-08, 02:31 PM
The Drive Side is Within

One is just turned four, the other nearly two. They do very well in our $10 thrift-shop-find instep trailer. Mty wife and I take them around on the tandem on the boardwalk bike path down the hill.

I'm just a little concerned aboiut going on shoulderless roads with them in tow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.