Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-20, 10:41 AM
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9659 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
Originally Posted by timgriffin2
Good to hear. I'm guessing that mine needs an adjustment. I had to bring mine in the day after purchase because the front shifter stopped working and just flopped back and forth. They said that the cable came loose in the shifter assembly and they reconnected it. 2 days later I found the loose BB issue when trying to find the source of an annoying intermittent clicking noise and had to bring it back again (it's an hour each way so a pain). I'll ask them to check the shifting issues when I bring it in for the free checkup/tuning they give with new bikes and hopefully they get it running smoothly and quietly - like my Crosstrail Sport always was...
I bought mine 3 hours away, so I've been learning to make adjustments as I go. I had a loose crank bolt, and the bike was making a "clicking" sound on the left down stroke. I checked pretty much everything on the bike that I thought it could be with no luck. I then decided to go over every nut and bolt, and found that the crank bolt was very loose. I pulled up a Park Tools video about installing cranks, and in 5 minutes I had it fixed. Super easy.

The process is to tighten the crank bolt first, and then tighten the left crank arm. I believe that is what the recall was about - the arms were tightened then the bolt. The bolt is tightened to a very low torque, so if you do it first, the crank arm tightens around it and holds it in place (that and some blue Locktite).

I would rather learn how to do this stuff as it is all easy rather than run to the bike shop for every adjustment. There are some things I will leave to a shop though since I don't have all the tools (wheel truing for example).

The tolerances on a lot of these bikes are a lot higher than our old Schwinns, and are just going to need adjustments from time to time. No different than maintaining high end sports cars versus Camrys.
Old 09-23-20, 10:55 AM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 5.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
I bought mine 3 hours away, so I've been learning to make adjustments as I go. I had a loose crank bolt, and the bike was making a "clicking" sound on the left down stroke. I checked pretty much everything on the bike that I thought it could be with no luck. I then decided to go over every nut and bolt, and found that the crank bolt was very loose. I pulled up a Park Tools video about installing cranks, and in 5 minutes I had it fixed. Super easy.

The process is to tighten the crank bolt first, and then tighten the left crank arm. I believe that is what the recall was about - the arms were tightened then the bolt. The bolt is tightened to a very low torque, so if you do it first, the crank arm tightens around it and holds it in place (that and some blue Locktite).

I would rather learn how to do this stuff as it is all easy rather than run to the bike shop for every adjustment. There are some things I will leave to a shop though since I don't have all the tools (wheel truing for example).

The tolerances on a lot of these bikes are a lot higher than our old Schwinns, and are just going to need adjustments from time to time. No different than maintaining high end sports cars versus Camrys.
This is why forums are great!
Old 09-23-20, 10:59 AM
-------

Originally Posted by Way2Slow
This is why forums are great!
That's why I say go get your bike back. There's nothing wrong with the bike. It just needs a little adjustment!

Have the shop fix it while you are there.

Unlike cars, bikes are pretty simple.
Old 09-23-20, 11:14 AM

That's why I say go get your bike back. There's nothing wrong with the bike. It just needs a little adjustment!

Have the shop fix it while you are there.

Unlike cars, bikes are pretty simple.
Already ordered another bike, be here next week.
Old 09-23-20, 11:15 AM
-------

Already ordered another bike, be here next week.
Great! What did you decide on?
Old 09-23-20, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by mojo31
great! What did you decide on?
x5
Old 09-23-20, 11:37 AM
-------

x5
Very nice!
Old 09-23-20, 12:08 PM

Very nice!
I hope so, all this searching and finally being able to test ride bikes has been driving me nuts! Sad to say but I just couldn't make up my dam mind on which model I wanted. I rode the X5 again and after riding the Sirrus 3 I realized the 1x drivetrain had plenty of gearing for me. If I'm wanting to go fast I should buy a road bike and call it the day but I don't as I just want be comfortable and and get a good workout. I thought I wanted the Cast Blue X5 but it looks purplish to me, the Sage Green grew on me so they told me I have to wait about 10 days if I want it so I pulled the trigger. Now it's hurry up and wait! Then I hear this little voice say maybe you should wait for 2021 models haha then I was like no!!!
Old 09-23-20, 12:24 PM
-------

There won't be much difference in the '21 models other than the cost.

When we ride, I find that I use the large ring and smaller 5 cogs about 99% of the time. But, that's all street or paved path.

If I keep riding like I have been, I may go to a road bike in the spring or late winter. If I don't, then I won't waste the money. My brother has a Giant Defy Advanced that he rarely rides, and has offered it to me to try for as long as I like. Since he is the same size as I am (just not as good looking and 10 years younger), I'm going to pick it up one of these days and see what I think.
Old 09-23-20, 12:32 PM

There won't be much difference in the '21 models other than the cost.

When we ride, I find that I use the large ring and smaller 5 cogs about 99% of the time. But, that's all street or paved path.

If I keep riding like I have been, I may go to a road bike in the spring or late winter. If I don't, then I won't waste the money. My brother has a Giant Defy Advanced that he rarely rides, and has offered it to me to try for as long as I like. Since he is the same size as I am (just not as good looking and 10 years younger), I'm going to pick it up one of these days and see what I think.
My buddy has the a Giant, same model I think. That sucker is hella light, he's been telling me to go take it for a spin. The air quality here is finally better, man so much destruction from the fires.
Old 09-23-20, 12:50 PM
-------

I'm jealous of the good places you have to ride - Headlands, Presidio, Golden Gate Park, Angel Island.

Hills might do me in though.
Old 09-23-20, 01:08 PM

I'm jealous of the good places you have to ride - Headlands, Presidio, Golden Gate Park, Angel Island.

Hills might do me in though.
Presidio and Golden Gate park are my favorites. Living in the Bay Area comes at a cost, that's for sure. Yeah some of hills would kill me for sure, ain't no spring chicken lol. My most memorable is walking across the Golden Gate Bridge, view is insane. You can ride but you're on the Pacific Ocean side and it's nice too.
Old 09-23-20, 01:25 PM
-------

I've been wowed by people riding up the Headlands. I get gassed just watching them do it.

That area is one of our favorite vacation spots - all the way from Big Sur to Carmel to San Francisco. Would love to live in Sausalito, but no way can we afford it the way we live here.
Old 09-23-20, 01:31 PM

I've been wowed by people riding up the Headlands. I get gassed just watching them do it.

That area is one of our favorite vacation spots - all the way from Big Sur to Carmel to San Francisco. Would love to live in Sausalito, but no way can we afford it the way we live here.
Yeah it's crazy expensive for property in the Bay Area.
Old 09-23-20, 02:40 PM
-------

Yeah it's crazy expensive for property in the Bay Area.
I have a sister in San Diego. She tells me my house in Texas would cost at least 10 times what it's worth here if it were in her area. My cheap house lets me buy more toys.
Old 09-23-20, 03:10 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roll & Trek Fuel Ex 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
x5
what kind of wait time are you looking at for your X5?
Old 09-23-20, 03:22 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roll Elite LTD, Sirrus X 5.0, Allez Elite

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
the Sage Green grew on me
Good choice, Sage Green is THE color....LOL...
Old 09-23-20, 04:16 PM

I have a sister in San Diego. She tells me my house in Texas would cost at least 10 times what it's worth here if it were in her area. My cheap house lets me buy more toys.
Plus I'm sure you have a pretty nice sized lot that your house sits on, pretty much non-existent here unless you're one of the tech millionaires. Property is scarce unless you got some deep pockets to buy up the whole block lol

Originally Posted by FM1178
what kind of wait time are you looking at for your X5?
On Monday, they told me I'd have the bike in about 10 days. So I'm hoping to pick next Friday.

Originally Posted by Jagamov
Good choice, Sage Green is THE color....LOL...
Have to order some XPEL, got plenty of Windex lol - the guys at the LBS said this stuff works pretty good:

https://www.amazon.com/Muc-Off-Finis...23754530&psc=1
Old 09-23-20, 06:01 PM
-------

Plus I'm sure you have a pretty nice sized lot that your house sits on, pretty much non-existent here unless you're one of the tech millionaires. Property is scarce unless you got some deep pockets to buy up the whole block lol

On Monday, they told me I'd have the bike in about 10 days. So I'm hoping to pick next Friday.

Have to order some XPEL, got plenty of Windex lol - the guys at the LBS said this stuff works pretty good:

https://www.amazon.com/Muc-Off-Finis...23754530&psc=1
about 1/4 acre. Plenty for us. House and pool consumes most of it.
Old 09-23-20, 10:03 PM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 5.0 (2021)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I hope so, all this searching and finally being able to test ride bikes has been driving me nuts! Sad to say but I just couldn't make up my dam mind on which model I wanted. I rode the X5 again and after riding the Sirrus 3 I realized the 1x drivetrain had plenty of gearing for me. If I'm wanting to go fast I should buy a road bike and call it the day but I don't as I just want be comfortable and and get a good workout. I thought I wanted the Cast Blue X5 but it looks purplish to me, the Sage Green grew on me so they told me I have to wait about 10 days if I want it so I pulled the trigger. Now it's hurry up and wait! Then I hear this little voice say maybe you should wait for 2021 models haha then I was like no!!!
I love the 2020 Sage Green, but the 2021 Redwood is growing on me.
Old 09-24-20, 12:23 PM

about 1/4 acre. Plenty for us. House and pool consumes most of it.
Very nice! By the way, how are them Stix lights?

Originally Posted by GeoffNA
I love the 2020 Sage Green, but the 2021 Redwood is growing on me.
Have you seen pics?
Old 09-24-20, 12:30 PM

Have you seen pics?
I have.

Last edited by GeoffNA; 09-24-20 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-24-20, 12:31 PM

And with one more post...
Old 09-24-20, 12:32 PM

I can show you this: https://www.landrys.com/product/spec...0-383638-1.htm

Redwood and Gloss blue. Both cool looking but the red just screams fast. Would like to order it with transparent sidewalls and an offset carbon seat post for a speedy look.

If you go to Specialized's site, and switch your region to Canada, you'll see much better pics, including the subtle upgrades for this year.

But the site seems to be down at the moment. Maybe they're updating other regions.
Old 09-24-20, 12:34 PM
-------

Very nice! By the way, how are them Stix lights?

Have you seen pics?
Stix lights are good for daytime lights. The headlight is not very bright for night though, although I didn't buy the brightest made. I bought them for riding around cars and they work well for that. Very noticeable. Like the way the front mounts to the headset spacer.

By the way, I'm using this to clean the matte finish with good results:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.