Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Compressor With Adapter

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Compressor With Adapter

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-21, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by blinky
Thanks for all the responses and tips - the two things that stand out for me is rubber hose and quick release hardware - and I now have some ideas on different inflators and compressors - so now check my thought process - our local NAPA store has rubber hoses at various lengths and all have plastic threaded end pieces , Home Depot carries Seneco and Ace hardware has Craftsman compressors .

So now I'll need a female quick release adapter for one end of the hose and a male for the other end - did I get it right? anything missing ?

Compressors and air hoses generally come with the quick-connect fittings these days.

I have one of these- without the nailer. It has a tiny motor/compressor, and takes a long, somewhat noisy time to come up to pressure, but is light, small, & portable.
https://www.amazon.com/Senco-PC0947-...ef_=ast_sto_dp

Also been using one of these for 15 years. Compact, QUIET, but surprisingly heavy. Recommended.
https://www.amazon.com/Makita-MAC700...00SCSBPQA?th=1
Old 12-09-21, 12:56 PM
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2763 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft

Also been using one of these for 15 years. Compact, QUIET, but surprisingly heavy. Recommended.
https://www.amazon.com/Makita-MAC700...00SCSBPQA?th=1
I have this one, and I LOVE it. Just like you say: small, quite, and heavy.
Old 12-09-21, 01:01 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5232 Post(s)
Liked 3,600 Times in 2,354 Posts
Thanks for all the responses and tips - the two things that stand out for me is rubber hose and quick release hardware - and I now have some ideas on different inflators and compressors - so now check my thought process - our local NAPA store has rubber hoses at various lengths and all have plastic threaded end pieces , Home Depot carries Seneco and Ace hardware has Craftsman compressors .So now I'll need a female quick release adapter for one end of the hose and a male for the other end - did I get it right? anything missing ?
1st thought (forgive my ignorance) are the auto supply hoses the correct type? meaning for use with pneumatic equipment & pressures?
Old 12-09-21, 02:46 PM

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
1st thought (forgive my ignorance) are the auto supply hoses the correct type? meaning for use with pneumatic equipment & pressures?
Yes , if you click the second link above provided by WoodCraft you'll see a compressor and right below a picture of a highlighter yellow hose - that's the same one NAPA carries - my issue now is getting the right male fitting for the hose to insert into the compressor, not sure if they're included with the compressor ??

I see you're NW of Boston , our daughter lives in Newton .
Old 12-09-21, 02:53 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5232 Post(s)
Liked 3,600 Times in 2,354 Posts
Yes , if you click the second link above provided by WoodCraft you'll see a compressor and right below a picture of a highlighter yellow hose - that's the same one NAPA carries - my issue now is getting the right male fitting for the hose to insert into the compressor, not sure if they're included with the compressor ??

cool beans I worked in West Newton for about 10 yrs. "metrowest" is very convenient to lots of stuff & highways. I moved up here from Westchester in my 20s, now my kids live here in their 20s. good place for young adults & I guess old guys like me too hehe
Old 12-09-21, 03:53 PM

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1616 Post(s)
Liked 2,218 Times in 1,105 Posts
4.5 HP 20 gal compressor always at max pressure. Only good for about 110 PSI so use the floor pump to take it the rest of the way.
Old 12-09-21, 10:15 PM

There are two main types of connectors, but one- now called "M" style, has become near universal so you mainly just need to get either male or female threaded ends as needed- they're cheap- get both.
Old 12-10-21, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by kingston
I use a 2 gallon ultra-quiet compressor from harbor freight and a park inflator. It's an expensive bike pump, but I'm worth it.
Thinking about doing similar, Park inflator with either Senco or Craftsman compressor - could you post a pic of the hardware at each end of your hose and also did you have to thread a 3/8" NPT fitting onto the Park so that it was compatible with the female fitting on the hose - with a pic I'll also be able to see the fitting that goes into the compressor - thanks in advance .
Old 12-10-21, 04:11 PM
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Thinking about doing similar, Park inflator with either Senco or Craftsman compressor - could you post a pic of the hardware at each end of your hose and also did you have to thread a 3/8" NPT fitting onto the Park so that it was compatible with the female fitting on the hose - with a pic I'll also be able to see the fitting that goes into the compressor - thanks in advance .
The park inflator comes with a regular M-style male connector. I guess there's also a Q connector, but I can't remember ever seeing one IRL. I've never thought twice about it and every pneumatic tool or connector I've ever bought has been compatible. Maybe I'm just lucky?
Old 12-11-21, 07:07 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
The park inflator comes with a regular M-style male connector. I guess there's also a Q connector, but I can't remember ever seeing one IRL. I've never thought twice about it and every pneumatic tool or connector I've ever bought has been compatible. Maybe I'm just lucky?
That M-style male connector is nearly universal and every tire inflator or air tool I've seen has used it. The female part is installed at the end of the air hose for quick tool changes.

The Park inflator doesn't seem as badly designed as cyccommute claims but it is way too expensive. Prestacycle sells their Prestaflator, which is similar to but a more versatile compressor inflator with an analog or digital pressure gauge at far less cost. Amazon, Performance and other on-line bike shops sell them.
Old 12-27-21, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on the setup. I have a big shop-compressor in the garage that I never use for bike tires, but the tanks on this little compressor fill in about a minute, and I can inflate bike tires in a few seconds. It's definitely more useful if I'm inflating a bunch of tires or installing new tires, seating the bead and inflating from zero. For topping off two tires on one bike it may be only a few seconds faster and probably not worth the hassle. I also use an hand pump if that's more convenient so it's not an either/or thing. I spend a few thousand dollars a year on my cycling hobby so a nice little compressor/inflator that will last a decade or more isn't that significant to me in the grand scheme of things relative to the joy it gives me every time I use it. I've definitely spent more money on things that are less useful.
Hi Kingston,

I run road tubeless 28c and have been looking at this unit. Does it seat tubeless tires without a problem? I have not seen any minimum spec for compressors to be able to do this. I suspect it is as much about volume of as raw pressure although both are related. I don't want to spend too much on a unit that I will only use 3 or 4 times a year.
I see you also use the Park tool. Can this also be used on car tires?
Old 12-27-21, 09:54 AM

Bikes: Spot ACME with Shimano Alfine 11 & Gates Carbon Drive

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 24 Posts
I have one of these for inflating my tires. You just set the PSI on the illuminated display, and the inflator shuts off automatically when it reaches that pressure setting. It comes with a presta adaptor too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Old 12-27-21, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
EVT 3-1 is fantastic.
Old 12-28-21, 07:33 PM
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
jtburn, I don’t have any tubeless bicycle tires so I can’t confirm this compressor will work for that specifically. I have used it to seat tubeless motorcycle tires so I assume it would work for bicycle tires too. I have a different inflator that I use for car tires so I’ve never used the park inflator for that. It might work, but the angle would be cumbersome on my cars.
Old 12-29-21, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jtburn, I don’t have any tubeless bicycle tires so I can’t confirm this compressor will work for that specifically. I have used it to seat tubeless motorcycle tires so I assume it would work for bicycle tires too. I have a different inflator that I use for car tires so I’ve never used the park inflator for that. It might work, but the angle would be cumbersome on my cars.
Thanks Kingston, I did go ahead and purchase this 2 Gal unit. I can confirm that it works without a problem. I think even the 1 Gal would work as well.
Old 12-29-21, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
Originally Posted by Route 66
I have one of these for inflating my tires. You just set the PSI on the illuminated display, and the inflator shuts off automatically when it reaches that pressure setting. It comes with a presta adaptor too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
yep just got one as I had plenty of makita batteries works great. wish you did not have to sue an adapter I debated on changing the head. my only complaint is for some reason it does not have a locking trigger. easy to fix wit ha zip tie but it seems a silly thing not to have.
Old 12-29-21, 03:38 PM

Bikes: Spot ACME with Shimano Alfine 11 & Gates Carbon Drive

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
yep just got one as I had plenty of makita batteries works great. wish you did not have to sue an adapter I debated on changing the head. my only complaint is for some reason it does not have a locking trigger. easy to fix wit ha zip tie but it seems a silly thing not to have.
Yeah, it would be nice if an adapter wasn't necessary but I just leave one of these in mine all the time and it's a snap to top off my prestas.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Then I just remove it when I'm going to air up my vehicles tires.
Old 12-29-21, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Route 66
Yeah, it would be nice if an adapter wasn't necessary but I just leave one of these in mine all the time and it's a snap to top off my prestas.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Then I just remove it when I'm going to air up my vehicles tires.
I just bought this guy https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 12-30-21, 12:39 PM

Someone was giving this away, so I acquired it. They said maybe it leaks, but the air hose fittings were loose & not sealed, so I think the owner just didn't know.

Low power, & crappy reviews because of easily broken manifold, but quiet and sort of compact.

Old 01-06-22, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by cyccommute
The inflator is threaded into the hose or more commonly into a quick connect so that you can swap heads on the hose for other uses.

The Park inflator is a lovely bit of kit. Unfortunately, it makes for a better wall hanging than an inflation tool. The tool is heavy. It’s awkward to use. The angle of the tool on the valve is wrong. It’s a very expensive hot mess.
The head of the Park INF-2 rotates 360 and so I don't understand why the "angle on the valve is wrong" ??
Old 01-06-22, 04:57 PM

12.00 and now the akita is great no adaptor needed. works for both the only thing I noticed it did not show the pressure till I started it. so maybe it was not pushing the valve down enough.
Old 01-06-22, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by teejaywhy
I bought one of those and frankly it is just garbage.
I went back to using a Lezyne floor pump with Topeak smarthead.
Works great and not much effort required to inflate to 100 PSI which is the most I ever use.
Old 01-09-22, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked 1,773 Times in 973 Posts
Here is the one that gets the lion's share of the work.

I use a presta to schrader on the innertube valve.
Old 01-09-22, 02:08 PM

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Someone was giving this away, so I acquired it. They said maybe it leaks, but the air hose fittings were loose & not sealed, so I think the owner just didn't know.

Low power, & crappy reviews because of easily broken manifold, but quiet and sort of compact.

Ive got one of those! Had it for cpl years/works great. Have used it to blow off disc brakes, but just bought an adapter to fill tires.
Old 01-10-22, 09:40 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6240 Post(s)
Liked 4,250 Times in 2,383 Posts
The head of the Park INF-2 rotates 360 and so I don't understand why the "angle on the valve is wrong" ??
I didn’t say the angle of the head is wrong. The whole angle of the tool is wrong and makes it difficult to use. If the handle were at about a 15° angle to the head, it would be much easier to use.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.