Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Reasons to Not own a Car

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Reasons to Not own a Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-13, 06:56 PM
boattail71

Bikes: Too many to list. Raleigh carbon racer (17 lbs.) and fast to a '37 Columbia (17 lbs. wheels alone) Even an Aerocycle (not ridable yet), love the middleweights too.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alekhind - Don't tell me bare foot and uphill both ways. Regardless, you're fortitude is impressive.

Last edited by boattail71; 10-16-13 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-16-13, 07:04 PM
boattail71

Bikes: Too many to list. Raleigh carbon racer (17 lbs.) and fast to a '37 Columbia (17 lbs. wheels alone) Even an Aerocycle (not ridable yet), love the middleweights too.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
One of my important priorities in life in to live close enough to work so that I can use my bike or public transit. I hate to be living far from work, been there done that and I don't like it. If I landed a six figure job far away, I would move closer so that I wouldn't have to drive. Why should I give up my lifestyle which I enjoy just for the sake of a six figure job ??
Good point Wolf. I probably would move too. Just hypothetically, it might be interesting to get a feel for who would A) not take the job, B) move or C) buy a car. Kinda silly anyway as there are too many other factors to consider...
Old 10-16-13, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do own a car but it's 50 years old and doesn't get driven every day.
Would do w/o totally, but am not ready to sell my old friend just yet
Old 10-16-13, 07:17 PM
boattail71

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I will be happy to discuss at greater length when you start it as a topic on this LCF forum. We need new threads, and we need some of you newer members to do your share of the lifting by starting them. It's very easy to do!
Point taken. Reminds me, I followed a new thread one day on the mechanic category from a relatively new member and he was promptly castigated by a senior member for not searching for it as that topic had been discussed years earlier. It's too bad that some feel the need to be negative. That's life in these forums I guess. The OP had to defend himself and it ended up being a worthwhile thread.
Old 10-16-13, 07:20 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rustjunkie
I understand completely. It's much different that a newish faceless transportation box built for the daily commute.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 10-16-13, 07:22 PM
boattail71

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
50!? Sweet! I've got one 46 and I'd ask more about yours but I digress - I better not start an old car topic lest I be shunned (again). <slap> sorry, back to bikes and lack of cars...
Old 10-16-13, 08:45 PM
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by boattail71
50!? Sweet! I've got one 46 and I'd ask more about yours but I digress - I better not start an old car topic lest I be shunned (again). <slap> sorry, back to bikes and lack of cars...
Foo is good for car threads.

I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 10-16-13, 09:44 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Point taken. Reminds me, I followed a new thread one day on the mechanic category from a relatively new member and he was promptly castigated by a senior member for not searching for it as that topic had been discussed years earlier. It's too bad that some feel the need to be negative. That's life in these forums I guess. The OP had to defend himself and it ended up being a worthwhile thread.
The search function here can be a roll of the dice...
Old 10-16-13, 10:10 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
One of my important priorities in life in to live close enough to work so that I can use my bike or public transit. I hate to be living far from work, been there done that and I don't like it. If I landed a six figure job far away, I would move closer so that I wouldn't have to drive. Why should I give up my lifestyle which I enjoy just for the sake of a six figure job ??
It isn't always easy to find work close to home...

Wife has a ~50 mile r/t commute. Her current employer was the first place that offered her a job after being without work for nearly a year. There are a couple of firms in the same or similar fields closer to where we live, but they were not interested in her for whatever reason. We have discussed moving closer to her employer, but frankly the housing costs would outpace any fuel savings. Plus the kids are in a good school district- one known for their academics and not for their athletic program(s).
Old 10-16-13, 10:28 PM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
If I had a 50 year old car, I wouldn't sell it either. I would just take care of it, drive it rarely, try to keep it going another 50 years. Someday a museum will want it.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-16-13, 10:43 PM
Sophomoric Member

The mechanics forum is a little different. The main posters there are very knowledgable people, taking up their own time to help out people with specific factual questions. They don't see much sense in answering the same questions over and over.

Compared to the mech forum, this LCF forum deals more with general questions and an exchange of opinions and personal experiences, all related to carfree cycling. Topics do repeat fairly often, but most people don't mind too much. New people join in and old-timers' opinions change over time, so even a rehashed subject can seem fresh. So I do hope that you and others feel free to start new threads.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-16-13, 10:46 PM
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by no1mad
The search function here can be a roll of the dice...
I have better luck using Google with the search term site:bikeforums.net added to the inquiry.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-16-13, 10:49 PM
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by no1mad
It isn't always easy to find work close to home...

Wife has a ~50 mile r/t commute. Her current employer was the first place that offered her a job after being without work for nearly a year. There are a couple of firms in the same or similar fields closer to where we live, but they were not interested in her for whatever reason. We have discussed moving closer to her employer, but frankly the housing costs would outpace any fuel savings. Plus the kids are in a good school district- one known for their academics and not for their athletic program(s).
Absolutely, you have to do what's best for kids and family. Keep your eyes open and maybe a better opportunity will open up when you least expect it.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-16-13, 11:35 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Compared to the mech forum, this LCF forum deals more with general questions and an exchange of opinions and personal experiences, all related to carfree cycling. Topics do repeat fairly often, but most people don't mind too much. New people join in and old-timers' opinions change over time, so even a rehashed subject can seem fresh. So I do hope that you and others feel free to start new threads.
Don't you mean "car free living"? I know that Bike Forums is a community that is largely dedicated to two (and even three and four) wheeled machines, but this particular forum encompasses more than just people that prefer bikes to any other mode of transit. Granted, most here do look to their bikes first and foremost for transportation needs, but there are others that employ other methods without relying on a personal car.

Absolutely, you have to do what's best for kids and family. Keep your eyes open and maybe a better opportunity will open up when you least expect it.
Wife is in the process of updating her resume because a few people (~40, including herself) were promised raises they never got (though their location is the top profit maker in the company and the execs got their bonuses).
Old 10-17-13, 12:16 AM
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
If I had a 50 year old car, I wouldn't sell it either. I would just take care of it, drive it rarely, try to keep it going another 50 years. Someday a museum will want it.
I was amused one time when I drove up to the car museum in Balboa Park in San Diego and the car I was driving was older than the cars they had on display in front of the building.

Old 10-17-13, 12:50 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Curious - How many of you who don't own a car would change your tune if you landed a six-figure job that's 20 miles away?
I'd be outfitting a custom Tesla Model S But it's not available in convertible IIRC so naaahhhh, plus that opens the door for luxury bikes and maybe e-assist bikes and a 250cc "Mike"
People who live in Pasadena can take the train into downtown. Once they extend the train to Santa Monica you wouldn't really need a car (as those are the only two areas I would consider moving to around LA)
And they have said $70K is the sweet spot between money and happiness.
Old 10-17-13, 03:18 AM
1. e4 Nf6

Bikes: Mercian KoM with Rohloff, Bike Friday NWT, Pogliaghi Italcorse (1979)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alekhind - Don't tell me bare foot and uphill both ways. Regardless, you're fortitude is impressive.
Thanks. I do go uphill both ways, but then I go downhill both ways as well.

It's pretty easy though. Nothing our ancestors didn't have to deal with not so long ago in human history/prehistory. At some point in my life, I asked myself: "Why do I need all this immediate convenience?" And it's funny because it's still totally convenient, and with the right attitude and a good audiobook or some Debussy on my iPod I find it pleasant, and in fact I sometimes take a route that extends my walk x2 miles because it's prettier.

It's not without problems though. I've sprained my leg before and had to rely on what I already had in my larder to eat - a good lesson for me always to have an emergency supply of food in winter, a big one. I'm not entirely sure what I would do if I broke a leg or had gout or something. I've had several instances where I bought all but one ingredient (invariably the most important) for some big recipe I was looking forward to, which you would think would inspire me to write grocery lists, but I never do. Sometimes that pleasant winter walk with music and scenery does in fact feel like a chore, etc...
Old 10-17-13, 09:32 AM
boattail71

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You've got a great attitude. Too often I succumb to the heated seats of our Subaru come winter.
Old 10-17-13, 03:54 PM
1. e4 Nf6

Bikes: Mercian KoM with Rohloff, Bike Friday NWT, Pogliaghi Italcorse (1979)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again! And regarding the Subaru, I understand completely. Cars are amazing things, especially with all the amenities like heated seats.