Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Another Vintage Voyager: Before and After Resto

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Another Vintage Voyager: Before and After Resto

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-20, 10:54 PM
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by UKFan4Sure
Mine is "Oh Crap!" heavy. That's what I said when I picked it up one day, anyhow.
i have a bob jackson world tourist. I havnt compared the weight scientifically but there isnt a lot if difference in the frames.
Old 03-15-20, 10:37 AM

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
IMO, you need to sand that area before repainting.

The sanding will remove the rust and will also feather the edge of the existing paint. Prime the area with automotive self-etching primer and re-sand to blend it into a single continuous layer, then top coat with color and then clear.
Old 03-15-20, 07:25 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
The POS I ride around on is 43lbs dry. Add two locks and that increases it by 7 pounds. Right now it has studded tires on it for winter. Top it off, I'm 6'4 and living in the 4th windiest city in the country where the flags are almost always flying parallel to the ground. Needless to say it doesn't accelerate too well and I don't exert too much energy trying to keep a zippy pace. So, I guess there is room for lightness improvement... somehow! A more modern steel touring bike would probably feel great.

I hadn't known the Voyager was such a fine bike that was around for so long. The earlier models even used Dura Ace cranks on them according to the fan page website. Columbus tubing too? Not shabby.

Last edited by prairiepedaler; 03-15-20 at 09:53 PM.
Likes For prairiepedaler: