Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I wear a hockey helmet. Laugh if you want :-)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I wear a hockey helmet. Laugh if you want :-)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-20, 11:58 AM
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Is OP going for the record on pointless thread topics?
Surely the record is in hand already?

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 10-20-20, 12:10 PM
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
If you're going to wear the wrong tool for the job, you might as well look bad ass while doing it.

Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 10-20-20, 12:10 PM
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by preventec47
Well I didnt intend for this to devolve into a name calling affair as my original statement was meant to be light hearted but true.
yes you did, and no it was not. I see through you.

you trollishly posted a dumb idea that you knew no one would accept and would cause an argument for no good reason. that's textbook internet troll behavior. we don't think it's funny because most of us know someone who has died in an accident on a bicycle. you're not a martyr here, just someone who is being called out for poking fun at a serious issue and offering horrible advice in the guise of honest inquiry. lame.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 10-20-20, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I have a hockey helmet. I will wear it when I feel at risk of hockey pucks flying by at 50+ mph while on a bike ride.
Haven't encountered them so far.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 10-20-20, 12:55 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by preventec47
Just for fun, pretend you are a helmet engineer and you take a bike helmet and you work to make it more protective. 1st you add structure. You add a hard shell
and you extend the coverage below the ears to the jaw and to the base of the skull. Thats it. It basically doubles the structure ( weight ) Add in adjustability
and vent holes and what have you got ? A Hockey Helmet. Now is anyone here going to assert that the bike helmet before enhancement was more protective ?
The hard shell adds virtually nothing to the protection relevant to bike riding and may actually make the transmission of the shock more efficient. And what are the odds that I'm going to take a low to the back of the base of the skull while riding on a road? Because of the additional area shielded from air flow, I've also got an additional gallon of sweat coming off the top of my head which is bound to cause all sorts of problems.

You have your hands on some secret data that the helmet manufacturers don't? Because, trust me, if all they had to do was to change the labeling on hockey helmets and sell them to cyclists, they'd love to do that for financial reasons. The fact that they don't would indicate to me that there's some really big engineering/liability issues..

TBH, if the mods see fit to let this thread go on, it really should be banished to the helmet thread.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-20-20, 12:56 PM
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Sounds like it would be horribly uncomfortable for not much gain.
If you truly believe that not only is it better (more safe) despite the uncomfortableness of it all, why not use a full-face motorcycle helmet (including the visor to stop things hitting your eyes)?

I'm only being half sarcastic here. If safety is what you want, regardless of discomfort, that's the way to go.And while at it, always ride with a brace too. No ,not a downhill brace, but a proper motorcycle one. And get all-leathers to truly protect your body. Okay, that last bit was perhaps about 100 percent sarcasm.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 10-20-20, 12:58 PM
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
why not just wear your hockey helmet and not advertising it? it sounds like you want people to argue with your because you know this is a terrible idea. what did you hope to accomplish with this thread, other than starting a really fruitless argument?
Old 10-20-20, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,570 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
You have your hands on some secret data that the helmet manufacturers don't?
It's stashed away in one of the pontoons of the boat bike he doesn't own.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-20-20, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
why not just wear your hockey helmet and not advertising it? it sounds like you want people to argue with your because you know this is a terrible idea. what did you hope to accomplish with this thread, other than starting a really fruitless argument?
Possibly desperate for attention. In any event, he'll probably stop posting when he's old enough to drive.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 10-20-20, 01:01 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Have you considered just riding an indoor trainer? If safety is your only concern, that's the logical conclusion.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-20-20, 01:04 PM
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Btw, I can't remember who mentioned it, but some of those polo helmets look great. I wish someone made a helmet similar to that for bikes. It should have a tiltable visor, though, and be easily ripped off in a crash.
Old 10-20-20, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 28 Posts
One more time for everyone.

Just for fun, pretend you are a helmet engineer and you take a bike helmet and you work to make it more protective. 1st you add structure. You add a hard exterior shell
and you extend the coverage below the ears to the jaw and to the base of the skull. Thats it. It basically doubles the structure ( weight ) Add in adjustability
and vent holes and what have you got ? A Hockey Helmet. Now is anyone here going to assert that the bike helmet before enhancement was more protective ?
MACK, Are you ?

This is why I wear a hockey helmet There is no inquiry here. I am sharing what I do and think. You can laugh, you can call me a moron and you can attack me.
I am not playing and I do think safety is serious. That is why I posted this. My very favorite comment was from the guy who said he would not wear a bicycle helmet
to play hockey but might vice versa. ( if I remember right )
Old 10-20-20, 01:14 PM
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
This thread just keeps going around and around, circling the bowl.

Thread closed.

Likes For cb400bill: