Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Handlebar bag

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Handlebar bag

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-17, 09:07 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Race SIS, Spalding Road Step Through Single Speed, Kent Road Single Speed, 630 Cruiser, Fuji Odessa mountain bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use Green Guru.
Old 11-24-17, 10:37 AM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Baskets are way better than handlebar bags! Consider the benefits:

Old 11-24-17, 11:44 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by waddo
We are going on a winter tour and need all the room we can get in our small panniers for gear. So I want a LIGHT medium sized handlebar bag for a video camera plus phone etc to free up some space. I also just want straps for attachment, not quick release paraphernalia. I've searched on the net but so far haven't found anything interesting.

Any suggestions?

I added extra outside pockets 10 of them in front and in back of the panniers and 2 on top of the front pair.

Sewing a 'dart' seam on the 2 on the front of the rear panniers , pulled the bottom of the bag into a wedge shape,

so my heel did not touch them, pedalling..

for a Tour starting in Feb, returning in Nov, of Ireland And Scotland..

A winter tour where its not winter what you have planned?

Old 11-24-17, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
I added extra outside pockets 10 of them in front and in back of the panniers and 2 on top of the front pair.

Sewing a 'dart' seam on the 2 on the front of the rear panniers , pulled the bottom of the bag into a wedge shape,

so my heel did not touch them, pedalling..

for a Tour starting in Feb, returning in Nov, of Ireland And Scotland..

A winter tour where its not winter what you have planned?

Do you have any photos? My wife is quite good at sewing. So for the modified camera bag idea someone posted seems promising. The holiday will be in Shikoku Japan. Night time should be around zero celsius.
Old 11-27-17, 10:38 PM
Crawler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by eric044
I use Green Guru.
I've never heard of them before until now. Their bags look cool.
Old 11-28-17, 06:15 PM

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by clasher
I found the shape of the bag does make it balance off kilter when it's loaded and detached but with D-rings in the right place I think it could sit level. There are magnetic clasps that keep it closed so I dunno if they'd hold a camera's weight if the bag tipped. Since the bags are custom made you could try emailing them and asking about additional options.
That's kind of my plan. I really like the look of the handlebar bag, but I need to be able to remove it from the bike and use it like a camera bag. I talked with Emily at Dill Pickle Gear and she thought it would work especially if the cords used to hold the bike to the hoods were incorporated into the strap connection. Seems she is pretty open to modifications so I'll probably let her get through the Christmas rush to work on this. I won't need it until spring anyhow.

The other idea that looks like it will work well is to take the Hubba Hubba Hiney bag from Think Tank photo and have a daisy chain sewn along the top of the back edge at a luggage repair place. Then I can attach that to the handlebars with velcro strips that allow it to hang from the handlebar. Adding a d-ring either on the side or the bottom (or both) would allow the bag to be secured to the head tube or to the fork crown. That would come off easily and be great to carry. It also has an included seam sealed rain cover to protect against rain. This would work well for a camera and very little else (which is fine) so I may do that anyhow. I use TTP's stuff in most of my other photography work and just took it through a fairly rigorous effort in Iceland this summer. I've also used it for my alpine ski racing photography and it really took a lot of abuse.

Anyhow, using a mirrorless system (i'm into micro 4/3rds now) is a lot easier than with the DSLR stuff I used before. All the lenses are much smaller and the photo quality is great. My camera and lenses are weather sealed and that has proved to be pretty robust too.

So, getting there....

J.