Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Pushing out a dent in steel frame from the inside?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Pushing out a dent in steel frame from the inside?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-20, 09:32 PM

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
This is why they make stickers. No Bondo, no paint, no disassembly, 20 seconds and you are back riding again. And if you have not forgotten about it after 10,000 more miles then you can still take a shot at pushing it out but will be older and wiser still, and have had the benefit of mulling over better and better solutions over the 10,000 additional miles.
Old 10-25-20, 07:19 PM
Shimano Certified

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
https://www.flickr.com/photos/154336...8/50201151762/

Result of a F-350 rear ending while on my rack.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154336...n/photostream/

Used a dent rolling die ($15) to get it this good, then put a reflective decal over it. In reality the touring frame bag covers it too. Second dent in the top tube to recover on this frame type. My other Sedona was worse and came out flatter, but it wasn't against a truck and I repainted the frame anyway. This one is the commuter. At least I got a good insurance payout and the vehicle wasn't wasted. Bike was back online with spares 4 days afterward and real parts ended up taking 3 months of backorders lol.