Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

A guy locked my bike to the rack on campus

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

A guy locked my bike to the rack on campus

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-09, 12:14 PM
Bikesman

Bikes: Giant Seek 1 IGH; Specialized Roubaix On Order

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Over-reacted: absolutely without a doubt.

What do you think will happen next time you make some mistake?

And, the passive-aggressive lowering of the seat was cowardly. Imagine how worse off we would be if everyone administered their own brand of punishment while acting as judge and jury.
Old 09-04-09, 01:04 PM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I'd have done the same thing personally. Probably would have tried to make the lock look still locked, and left a note.
Old 09-04-09, 01:05 PM
Señior Member

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RedWhiteandRed
Overreacted in what way? Should he have called the cops to get the lock cut, or should he have waited there, possibly hours, until the guy showed up again?
Old 09-04-09, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I would have cut the lock off and left their bike alone.
Old 09-04-09, 01:50 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by gear
i would have cut the lock off and left their bike alone.
+1
Old 09-04-09, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The only option is to pop a cap in their arse.
Old 09-04-09, 02:28 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
He locked through the triangle which is a difficult mistake to make unknowingly. The seat movement is reversible. Some might have done worse.

Old 09-04-09, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had to post my very similar but different story. Not to steal thread... sorry. BUT short story, just last week, I was going out with the guys to a movie and such. My wife was going to drive me to the subway. We walk outside of our HOUSE (not apartment with parking lot) and parked IN my driveway, directly behind my car, half a foot away bumper to bumper, someone parked THEIR car!! And then went to someone else' house! So feel lucky you could actually do something. I called the police to have it towed and hours later, no cops, and car was moved without my knowing. Im still speechless angry.. who parks in someone else' driveway??
Old 09-04-09, 02:36 PM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked 3,004 Times in 1,629 Posts
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
The only option is to pop a cap in their arse.
+1 .... after waterboarding the dum bass
Old 09-04-09, 02:44 PM
thompsonpost

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by ridestockholm
had to post my very similar but different story. Not to steal thread... Sorry. But short story, just last week, i was going out with the guys to a movie and such. My wife was going to drive me to the subway. We walk outside of our house (not apartment with parking lot) and parked in my driveway, directly behind my car, half a foot away bumper to bumper, someone parked their car!! And then went to someone else' house! So feel lucky you could actually do something. I called the police to have it towed and hours later, no cops, and car was moved without my knowing. Im still speechless angry.. Who parks in someone else' driveway??
bmw?

Old 09-04-09, 02:51 PM

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I called the police to have it towed
No point in doing that unless you want/hope they'll get a ticket as well. Just call a towing company and have it towed. It's your property, you can do that.
Old 09-04-09, 03:06 PM
Collector of Useless Info

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Had to post my very similar but different story. Not to steal thread... sorry. BUT short story, just last week, I was going out with the guys to a movie and such. My wife was going to drive me to the subway. We walk outside of our HOUSE (not apartment with parking lot) and parked IN my driveway, directly behind my car, half a foot away bumper to bumper, someone parked THEIR car!! And then went to someone else' house! So feel lucky you could actually do something. I called the police to have it towed and hours later, no cops, and car was moved without my knowing. Im still speechless angry.. who parks in someone else' driveway??
I'd have broken the window, unlocked it, busted the ignition lock to get it out of park, rolled it into the street and left it there. Either a tow truck or the bozo who owned it will come eventually.
Old 09-04-09, 04:08 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by cycle_maven
I'd have broken the window, unlocked it, busted the ignition lock to get it out of park, rolled it into the street and left it there. Either a tow truck or the bozo who owned it will come eventually.
Since he knows where you live, you probably need to grab his registration out of the glove compartment to ensure a full and fair house to house escalation of property damage.
Old 09-04-09, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I used to rent a house on top of a hill with a nice view of the fireworks on the 4th of july. Without fail each year people would park in our driveway and sometimes on the lawn despite the signs we left. Tow truck companies loved us that evening.
Old 09-04-09, 06:18 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A friend had this happen in a car park on a regular basis, people would get there late for the train, and park....wherever. Frequently in front of my friend who was unable to leave until the jerk returned, or more often, someone on the sides, allowing him to leave.

Unfortunately for some of these jerks, he drove an older car, lot of mass, solid bumpers. Yup, they would return to find their car pushed to the side. He tried to minimize damage, but he wasn't going to waste another 1-2 hours waiting to be released. To be fair, he'd tried all other options first. The final straw was getting boxed by the same guy 3 times, despite notes and one confrontation. Problem diminished markedly after that.
Old 09-04-09, 06:57 PM
I drank the Kool-Aid!

Bikes: Rivendell Roadini, Rivendell Charlie Gallop Protovelo, Rivendell Clem L

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Old 09-04-09, 07:09 PM
Daily Commuter

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Gary fisher wahoo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclefreaksix
Maybe I'm just overly sensitive to people jacking with my bike, but I don't find that funny.
It was a joke we were sitting in a car less than 50 feet away. He thought it was funny as well, he knew it was us doing it, he just didn't see us.
Old 09-04-09, 07:10 PM
Señior Member

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by coldfeet
Unfortunately for some of these jerks, he drove an older car, lot of mass, solid bumpers. Yup, they would return to find their car pushed to the side. He tried to minimize damage, but he wasn't going to waste another 1-2 hours waiting to be released. To be fair, he'd tried all other options first. The final straw was getting boxed by the same guy 3 times, despite notes and one confrontation. Problem diminished markedly after that.
One of the advantages of driving an old ugly car with big bumpers. I've pushed another car around a bit to get out myself, once, when someone parallel parked and pulled far enough into my space that they were nearly touching my car, and I only had about 8 inches behind me too (that driver had parked into my space on the other side).
Old 09-04-09, 07:14 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
One of the advantages of driving an old ugly car with big bumpers. I've pushed another car around a bit to get out myself, once, when someone parallel parked and pulled far enough into my space that they were nearly touching my car, and I only had about 8 inches behind me too (that driver had parked into my space on the other side).
Yeah, but he was pushing against thin modern fenders, not bumpers.

I suspect there was a lot of cursing when they returned.
Old 09-04-09, 09:25 PM
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by lil brown bat
I can easily see how you could thread a cable lock around someone else's bike by accident at a crowded rack. As for doing it deliberately...why would someone do that? What good would it do them? It makes no sense.
I've read of cases in which a thief would lock bikes they wanted to steal with their locks. The owners would come out, see the bike locked, and go home by some other means, hoping that the next day the offender's bike, and the offending lock, would be gone (after all, it was clearly accidental, right?) The thief would then come in at night, unlock his lock, and cut the owner's lock at his leisure, unwitnessed and undisturbed.

I do also believe reading that this sort of stunt is considered theft or similar offence, at least in some places.

I would've cut the lock too (or asked campus police to do it).
Old 09-04-09, 09:36 PM

Bikes: Trek 1000, two mtbs and working on a fixie for commuting.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen this happen on campus, well, I assumed. Someone locked a crappy cheap bike to someone's nice (which I see all the time) bike - think it was a top of the line Jamis XC bike - during the day. I ended up catching a ride since it was very wet and rainy outside. Came back later the night to get my bike so I could commute the next day and both bikes were gone. Never saw the nice bike ever again and I know that guy has class. Poor dude. It was a very nice bike.
Old 09-04-09, 09:41 PM
Bike Commuter

Bikes: Cannondale R700, Custom Cannondale Fixed, Research Dynamic Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclaholic
.... but once you cut his lock you assumed responsibility for the security of his bike, leaving it there to be potentially stolen instead of leaving it at the security office was a dog act.
God help us if we are to be held accountable for another person's stupidity.
Old 09-04-09, 09:48 PM
Bike Commuter

Bikes: Cannondale R700, Custom Cannondale Fixed, Research Dynamic Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RedWhiteandRed

What do you think will happen next time you make some mistake?

And, the passive-aggressive lowering of the seat was cowardly. Imagine how worse off we would be if everyone administered their own brand of punishment while acting as judge and jury.
Are you F'n kiddin!?! I think your reply is an over-reaction
Old 09-04-09, 09:51 PM
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Two people have now posted about the bike theft scam involving locks. I'm curious if the OP suspects this at all?

edit: just saw it's a roadmaster....never mind.

Last edited by daredevil; 09-04-09 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-04-09, 10:03 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mmac
In all defense this is a low crime area and a roadmaster is not a high demand bike.

I didn't think about tying the lock back on, that was a good idea. :-(
Anybody stupid enough to buy/ride Roadmaster deserves all the misery they get...those ***'s are dangerous out of the BOX!

And, hey -- somebody locks their bike up TO yours, or THRU yours, is disregarding you totally, they got it coming to them for that, too.

That said, I did accidentally hook another bike with my lock once; his brake cable was inside my chain. When I locked up, it looked the other way to me. But it was a small place we were both using (branch library), and I was pretty obvious, with the helmet and all next to me, so he asked me to unlock for him, and I did. Take about 10x the caution now that I did then, too, so I don't do it again. (My bike was at the end of the rack, his was the 1st space in)

Whoever did this, did it deliberately, and with no thought for anyone else. Typical Roadmaster user.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.