Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

one down how many more to go?

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

one down how many more to go?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-10, 10:24 AM

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by wanders
You were on their site. You were on their mailing list. Prepare to have your upgrade revoked.
My eyes lit up when I read the site name. I was really surprised to see it. I figured it was run by English-speaking Chinese-nationality doctors or athletes with an in back at home.

The site that I can't believe is still up is CEM - that's the "other" site, and was often referred to in eposino. They have a store that sells "research chemicals" (it's like a list of forbidden products). The forum is eyeopening too. I forgot my login but I just went there (to make sure the site was up before I said it was "still up") and the sidebar has hot forum topics "Lance is Done" and "Lemond happy with power outputs". Those seem pretty cycling specific. There was a lot on Masters racing for a while, but I was poking around most when I did my post, so a couple years ago.

There's even a note that cyber-rights.net and another email service were "compromised" and to use a different service. They must have been anonymous email account things.

Personally I think the Papp thing is great.

cdr
Old 09-17-10, 10:24 AM

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Apus^2
I think the USADA should have given a grace period (USADA would have had to advertise it somehow) for the dopers to turn themselves in before the USADA notified them of the charges (this option giving them the most leniency). If they didn't turn themselves in and admit only after they were notified of the evidence, less leniency (or none at all), and then none if they fight the charge.

That way they may have flushed a few out that they had missed.
I like that idea.
Old 09-17-10, 10:28 AM
impressive member

Bikes: c'dale supersix, jamis trilogy, spec. tricross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
yeah i always find it weird when fans of the mainstream american sports snicker at how dirty cycling is

on one hard, i think endurance sports have a much different ratio of physiloogy to skill/coordination - ie theres no skill as hard as hitting a fastball or shooting a 3 pointer in cycling, but theres no psysiological challenges like TTing or hill climbing in baseball or basketball, so there probably is more to be gained by doping in endurance sports than in ball sports...

but on the other hand, the amount of money at stake in american ball sports is so much more massive than in cycling, and if expereicne shows us anything is that more money at stake means more incentive to cheat, so it seems to me like theres every reason to think the big 3 are just as dirty, but have more money to cheat better, and lobby for protection against strict controls... etc

anyway we all know this stuff it just really frustrates me when baseball fans trash cycling as particularly corrupt.
Old 09-17-10, 10:54 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by badhat
"we're gonna need that case of clif bars back too"
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
wasn't that umd?
Old 09-17-10, 10:56 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mebaxter
Not really. You have so called "Natural Bodybuilders" who can't use illiegal stuff like steroids, growth hormone and insulin, but anything OTC is fair game. Then there is the open class which is pretty much a free for all. The testing for the natural class is a joke. Many times it's just a question either verbal or written "Did you use illegal drugs". Uhhhh nope. "OK go compete". Your lucky to get an accurate scale at most amateur shows let alone actual blood or urine tests.
Real Sports just did a story on female body builders...they were all very up front about their doping all on camera.
Old 09-17-10, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo
Real Sports just did a story on female body builders...they were all very up front about their doping all on camera.
If you've seen female body builders, it would be pretty hard to deny doping. I think they would test positive just being in the same building as the equipment.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 09-17-10, 11:00 AM

Bikes: 2000 Cannondale CAAD3 Triple 105/Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
theres no skill as hard as hitting a fastball or shooting a 3 pointer in cycling...
True, but if you are able to hit the ball 10-20% farther (regardless of batting average) those warning track hits are now home runs, or that bump in endurance so that in the 4th quarter of a basketball game you still have the form and quickness to get the jump on your opponent, those drugs can make a lot of difference.
Old 09-17-10, 11:15 AM
Mike Baxter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo
Very up front. Really common discussion in the gym is "what are you on". Be it illicit or legal. That is the thing about bodybuilding. There isn't money in it. Not much gear to buy. Your not going getting rich selling banana hammocks. It is all about the supplement market. What can I buy that is going to make me the biggest freak I can be. It is so absurd it's comical. The female bodybuilders have to be up front. 5'2" tall 180 lbs 5% bodyfat and a voice like Barry White. Yeah your clean.
Old 09-17-10, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wait, there's doping in female bodybuilding?! now i've heard everything.
Old 09-17-10, 11:41 AM
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
How does this:
Not really.
Fit with this?
You have so called "Natural Bodybuilders" who can't use illiegal stuff like steroids, growth hormone and insulin, but anything OTC is fair game. Then there is the open class which is pretty much a free for all. The testing for the natural class is a joke. Many times it's just a question either verbal or written "Did you use illegal drugs". Uhhhh nope. "OK go compete". Your lucky to get an accurate scale at most amateur shows let alone actual blood or urine tests.
Very up front. Really common discussion in the gym is "what are you on". Be it illicit or legal. That is the thing about bodybuilding. There isn't money in it. Not much gear to buy. Your not going getting rich selling banana hammocks. It is all about the supplement market. What can I buy that is going to make me the biggest freak I can be. It is so absurd it's comical. The female bodybuilders have to be up front. 5'2" tall 180 lbs 5% bodyfat and a voice like Barry White. Yeah your clean.
Body building is so lame!! That is all.

my race videos
Old 09-17-10, 11:53 AM
Mike Baxter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are basically "open" shows and "natural" shows. The "open" shows do not test for anything. The "natural" shows are run under the premise that the competitors are clean or have been clean for a certain amount of time. The problem lies in the testing protocol or lack there of. The shows I did you were simply asked if you were natural. No pee test or blood test. It was really a total joke.
Old 09-17-10, 11:57 AM
Mike Baxter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
How does this:

Fit with this?

Body building is so lame!! That is all.
Oh, I agree competitive bodybuilding is lame. What is even worse is that it's passed off as a healthy lifestyle.
Old 09-17-10, 11:58 AM
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
INBF gets its list from WADA
Old 09-17-10, 12:06 PM
fair weather cyclist

Bikes: Colnago c50

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
so i am confused

did they not test him at elite nationals???
Old 09-17-10, 12:09 PM
impressive member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
True, but if you are able to hit the ball 10-20% farther (regardless of batting average) those warning track hits are now home runs, or that bump in endurance so that in the 4th quarter of a basketball game you still have the form and quickness to get the jump on your opponent, those drugs can make a lot of difference.
right right

i'm not saying PEDs dont help in ball sports, i just think they help a lot MORE in endurance sports.

but i still think the ball sports are probably dirtier.
Old 09-17-10, 12:13 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
right right

i'm not saying PEDs dont help in ball sports, i just think they help a lot MORE in endurance sports.

It's probably a more direct correlation with use and benefit.
Old 09-17-10, 12:28 PM

Bikes: 2000 Cannondale CAAD3 Triple 105/Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
... just think they help a lot MORE in endurance sports...
true.
Old 09-17-10, 12:28 PM
Mike Baxter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy
INBF gets its list from WADA
Just looked them up. Hope it's a step in the right direction. I was only commenting on my 10+ years spent as a gym rat. Stepped away from competing 7 or 8 yearas ago. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-17-10, 12:33 PM
impressive member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
right but are we talking performance benefit or financial benefit?

cuz even if the performance benefit is greater in cycling, the financial benefit (and the number of parties with stakes) is much greater in the big 3.
Old 09-17-10, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
right right

Originally Posted by Ygduf
true.
i'm not sure i agree with this, but why does it matter?
Old 09-17-10, 12:57 PM
fair weather cyclist

who cares about other sports
lets talk about cycling.

how and why did he get from A to B without getting tested or caught?
Old 09-17-10, 01:03 PM
impressive member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MDcatV
i'm not sure i agree with this, but why does it matter?
the point i was suggesting is that the more money thats at stake, and the more people who have money at stake, the greater the pressure to win and incentive to cheat, and further the easier it is to aquire and hide and protect cheating.

i think the counter argument is that a cost benefit analysis of PEDs in endurance sports vs ball sports might tip in a direction that would make the rewards not worth the risks in ball sports even if theres a lot more pressure and money on the line.

why does it matter? i dunno. just talkin. or maybe it matters in that i have an inferiority complex as a fan of a sport that is pretty marginal in the US, and am defensive when it gets kicked around by fans of the big 3. especially when it seems unfair. i hate the implication that my sporting heros (for lack of a better word) are a more morally vacant class than basketball players.
Old 09-17-10, 01:12 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pjcampbell
how and why did he get from A to B without getting tested or caught?
I think it is abundantly clear, and has been for... ever... that the tests are far from perfect. If everyone who cheated got caught by the tests, this wouldn't be much of an issue, no?
Old 09-17-10, 01:17 PM
fair weather cyclist

maybe he was never tested, I dont know. do they test all winners @ elites or no?
Old 09-17-10, 01:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the guy was a 3 when he began to use the stuff. predictably, his results improved dramatically.

3 years later and one wonder the number of cat 2's and 3's doing it. this list will definitely be interesting...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.