Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Uh oh, I can't think of any cycling doodads to buy over the winter

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Uh oh, I can't think of any cycling doodads to buy over the winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-20, 09:30 AM
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
get some more lights for nighttime riding.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 11-03-20, 09:30 AM
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 633 Posts
You may also capture amusing unexpected things, like surprise dog attacks:

Old 11-03-20, 09:38 AM

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,995 Times in 1,926 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Now see, that's what happens when you do too much shopping on line. They only show you the stuff that you already know about and are actively looking for.

You need those retro paper catalogues with pictures of all the neat and necessary stuff that you didn't know you needed.
corrected...
Old 11-03-20, 09:40 AM
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3130 Post(s)
Liked 2,111 Times in 1,374 Posts
Soon enough there will be enough nanny bots in the car controls that big brother won't need to bother. The last time we were shopping for cars 3-4 years ago I was peeved that the radar systems (automatic stop and cruise control) weren't quite yet down to our price bracket. I wanted them. I'm realistic about how good our driving is. I'm sure by the next time, they will be. Wife's van has beepers for fast approach and lane departure, but her backup cam doesn't have any brains. Stability controls that use the ABS are now pretty endemic.

The trick you should know with a camera is to stop it and start it again when something interesting happens. Then you have a pretty good time stamp instead of looking through a two hour video file.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-03-20, 09:42 AM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11007 Post(s)
Liked 7,535 Times in 4,214 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
What significant issues? You upload the video. You enter the license plates. Authorities can then search the database for the license plates and have video evidence. If someone has an established pattern of trying to brush cyclists with their mirror, it's hard to argue that there's not intent.
Yeah...thatd be a field day for lawyers.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-03-20, 09:48 AM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Yeah...thatd be a field day for lawyers.
In what way? You're not offering anything by way of an argument, you're just waving your hands and saying, "no, I don't think so." How is a searchable database of evidence not beneficial?
Old 11-03-20, 10:08 AM
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Clothing and/or accessories (shoes, caps, beanies, gloves etc.)?

Nicer bottles and/or cages?

Different tyres for winter riding? Perhaps with a reflective stripe?

Upgrade of pump, bag, or even a new type of bag?

Sunglasses?

Cycling Covid mask?

Compressor for the garage to air up your bike tyres effortlessly?

A nice insulated coffee mug that fits in your bottle cage?

A Click Stand?

A feedbag or two?

Better/additional front and/or tail light?

Strategically placed 3M diamond grade reflective tape?

Some nice non-rusting tools - perhaps in combination with those tool sleeves for your steerer tube or the bottom bracket hole (if you have a hole).

Last edited by CargoDane; 11-03-20 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-03-20, 10:12 AM
-------

Quoted: 9656 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Soon enough there will be enough nanny bots in the car controls that big brother won't need to bother. The last time we were shopping for cars 3-4 years ago I was peeved that the radar systems (automatic stop and cruise control) weren't quite yet down to our price bracket. I wanted them. I'm realistic about how good our driving is. I'm sure by the next time, they will be. Wife's van has beepers for fast approach and lane departure, but her backup cam doesn't have any brains. Stability controls that use the ABS are now pretty endemic.

The trick you should know with a camera is to stop it and start it again when something interesting happens. Then you have a pretty good time stamp instead of looking through a two hour video file.
I have a car with all of that fancy tech. Problem is that it very often does things to control the car when you don't want it to. I have it all mostly turned off. The one thing that I do appreciate is the blind spot warning although it only activates when you use the blinker.

The radar cruise control, automatic lane correction, etc. can be scary at times, especially when you are fully aware of what is going on around you and you think you are in control only to find out you are not.
Old 11-03-20, 10:26 AM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2600 Post(s)
Liked 5,680 Times in 2,932 Posts
Here we go again.

Old 11-03-20, 10:41 AM

Bikes: Surly SteamRoller

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
This year the only thing i can think of is maybe some cushier bar tape on my road bike. My credit card company will issue a fraud alert for lack of use over the winter...
I am sure there are other BFer's who would appreciate an unexpected gift!
Likes For TomM:
Old 11-03-20, 10:47 AM
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3130 Post(s)
Liked 2,111 Times in 1,374 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
I have a car with all of that fancy tech. Problem is that it very often does things to control the car when you don't want it to. I have it all mostly turned off. The one thing that I do appreciate is the blind spot warning although it only activates when you use the blinker.

The radar cruise control, automatic lane correction, etc. can be scary at times, especially when you are fully aware of what is going on around you and you think you are in control only to find out you are not.
Okay. Trade you.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-03-20, 10:57 AM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

In what way? You're not offering anything by way of an argument, you're just waving your hands and saying, "no, I don't think so." How is a searchable database of evidence not beneficial?
In a civil case where the burden of proof is significantly lower than criminal, perhaps this could be used to persuade. Of course it would be disagreed with though.
In a criminal case where past behavior is considered when it pertains to convictions, that is hugely different from using amateur video uploaded where nothing ultimately happens and the defendant hasnt been allowed to defend their actions.

Im in no way a lawyer. I would expect any lawyer worth my time to go to town if the other side tried to use this as 'proof' for a criminal case(which would be how I would lose my DL for past behavior).
A tiger owner had the biggest tv show in the US, a reality TV host is president, and my kids sit 30' away from me every day for school and work- noting surprises me anymore so I accept there is a chance amateur footage of nothing happening could be used in a criminal court somewhere to show past behavior. It sounds completely absurd, but what isnt at this point.
Old 11-03-20, 11:17 AM

nothing ultimately happens
no collision != nothing happens
Old 11-03-20, 11:31 AM
Sunshine

no collision != nothing happens
In a criminal case, if there is no collision, then nothing happens, and I really doubt such video would be allowed.
Its like criminal and civil cases are being smoothed together here in this hypothetical.

What are you saying would happen? If I hit a driver and there was a criminal trial, why would video of me not hitting people be used against me? And how could it be allowed?
I'm genuinely struggling to understand.

I took the afternoon off to ride some gravel and vote. Its awesome weather this week and its looking like not much of that is left. Have that last word.
Old 11-03-20, 11:35 AM

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Forget the doo dads, get a thingamabob.
A gizmo or doohickie can be fun too
Likes For Riveting:
Old 11-03-20, 11:41 AM
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Not a doo-dad but rather a project. I would like to lace up a few sets of wheels. I've done this many moons ago but will start at the beginning. I have an el-cheapo truing stand it will work and a dishing tool and a variety of spoke wrenches. Even have Jobst Brandt's book. I just need to pick out hubs, spokes and rims. Then get to work. For a long winter project.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 11-03-20, 11:44 AM
-------

In a civil case where the burden of proof is significantly lower than criminal, perhaps this could be used to persuade. Of course it would be disagreed with though.
In a criminal case where past behavior is considered when it pertains to convictions, that is hugely different from using amateur video uploaded where nothing ultimately happens and the defendant hasnt been allowed to defend their actions.

Im in no way a lawyer. I would expect any lawyer worth my time to go to town if the other side tried to use this as 'proof' for a criminal case(which would be how I would lose my DL for past behavior).
A tiger owner had the biggest tv show in the US, a reality TV host is president, and my kids sit 30' away from me every day for school and work- noting surprises me anymore so I accept there is a chance amateur footage of nothing happening could be used in a criminal court somewhere to show past behavior. It sounds completely absurd, but what isnt at this point.
You are not far off the mark. It would be very difficult to use any type of video in court, whether civil or criminal, without a witness that can testify under oath that they have personal knowledge of the events that are depicted in the video and it accurately depicts what occurred at the time of the occurrence. If you can get past that, then there is the issue of the rules of evidence that provide that evidence of past conduct cannot be used to show that the defendant engaged in that type of conduct at a later time. Those are the two main problems and there are others. About the only video that could be readily used is actual video of the event that is the subject of the case. And, then only if someone can testify that it accurately depicts what happened and that the video has not been manipulated in any way.

There is more to it, but that's the law in a nutshell.
Old 11-03-20, 11:47 AM

I'm genuinely struggling to understand.
I see that. Again, no collision != nothing happened. That's like saying that swinging at someone's face is okay if you miss.

In addition, most states have passing laws. You think that evidence of a history of breaking passing laws wouldn't have any traction in a case wherein someone broke the passing law and hurt someone? Okay.
Old 11-03-20, 11:48 AM
-------

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Okay. Trade you.
Going to have to pass on that. I didn't buy the car for its accident avoidance systems or other electronic gadgets. I prefer the right pedal for accident avoidance.

Plus, you couldn't drive the thing in California with a good conscious since the gas mileage sucks.
Old 11-03-20, 11:51 AM
-------

I see that. Again, no collision != nothing happened. That's like saying that swinging at someone's face is okay if you miss.

In addition, most states have passing laws. You think that evidence of a history of breaking passing laws wouldn't have any traction in a case wherein someone broke the passing law and hurt someone? Okay.
Here's your answer in federal court: https://www.law.cornell.edu/rules/fre/rule_404

Most state court rules of evidence are the same or similar.
Old 11-03-20, 12:04 PM

Here's your answer in federal court: https://www.law.cornell.edu/rules/fre/rule_404

Most state court rules of evidence are the same or similar.

(2) Permitted Uses; Notice in a Criminal Case. This evidence may be admissible for another purpose, such as proving motive, opportunity, intent, preparation, plan, knowledge, identity, absence of mistake, or lack of accident.
Old 11-03-20, 12:20 PM
-------

But, it still has to be authenticated. Videos and pictures are not admissible just because they are videos or pictures.

Lots of gray in those rules and laws. Just because something is black and white doesn't mean it's actually black and white.
Old 11-03-20, 12:28 PM

But, it still has to be authenticated. Videos and pictures are not admissible just because they are videos or pictures.
Like the timestamps on most dashcam-type camera and the accompanying GPS file from Garmin/Wahoo/Phone?
Old 11-03-20, 12:32 PM
-------

Like the timestamps on most dashcam-type camera and the accompanying GPS file from Garmin/Wahoo/Phone?
No, by some witness who will testify that the video actually and accurately depicts what happened at the time of the recording. That witness would have had to actually see it happen.

If it is your video and you were there, then you can provide that testimony. But, grabbing a video off of YouTube or some other site will probably never see the light of day in a courtroom unless you can get the defendant to say that was me and I did what is shown in the video.
Old 11-03-20, 12:41 PM

No, by some witness who will testify that the video actually and accurately depicts what happened at the time of the recording. That witness would have had to actually see it happen.
Like the person that submitted the video because it happened to them and they were concerned enough by the behavior that they made of point of uploading and logging it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.