Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Pedestrian Locomotion

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Pedestrian Locomotion

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-13, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I walk often, more than I bike. I've always liked walking better than any other form of transportation.
Old 03-13-13, 03:39 PM

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rockmom
I walk often, more than I bike. I've always liked walking better than any other form of transportation.
I prefer cycling. Walking is too slow and cars are too fast (and polluting, and dangerous, and ugly and largely responsible for oil wars and space hogs and energy hogs and noisy and uncivilized and pretentious and causers of obesity and ...)

Cars, how do I hate ye? Let me count the ways...

Last edited by Ekdog; 03-13-13 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-13-13, 06:22 PM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog
and cars are too fast (and polluting, and dangerous, and ugly and largely responsible for oil wars and space hogs and energy hogs and noisy and uncivilized and pretentious and causers of obesity and ...)

Cars, how do I hate ye? Let me count the ways...
Oh my..
Old 03-13-13, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Walking is more comfortable for me. Unfortunately most of the places I need to go are several miles away. I like walking to the post office and the convenience store (when I'm willing to pay 30% more to save time). My body just likes to move in that natural way. Cycling is faster and comfortable but not natural. I've even owned a couple of recumbents that were even more comfortable than my conventional ride. I still prefer walking.

If I were forced to walk long distances I might change my mind about it. Wearing a heavy back pack is not something I like whether walking or bicycling. Shopping is one thing bicycling does better. Racks and panniers don't put pressure on my shoulders or neck.

There is a guy I've seen walking over the last couple of years. He does it when I'm on my way to work and on my way home from work. I don't know where he begins or where he ends his walks. I just know they are at least three miles one way. One of my jobs is three miles away. There is no way I would walk for two hours per day to go to work, though in the past I've ridden a bicycle fifty minutes to a job. My time is important to me. Walking takes too much of it.

My Xootr saves me a lot of time relatively speaking. I can go to the post office and return home in the time it takes to walk there. It is a great tool for short trips. That is why I bought it and I haven't been disappointed with it yet. I highly recommend them.
Old 03-13-13, 10:34 PM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Oh my..
?
Old 03-14-13, 03:54 AM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
?
The topic was pedestrian locomotion, this thread shouldn't be a dumping ground for anti-car,anti-driving ideology.
Old 03-14-13, 05:39 AM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
The topic was pedestrian locomotion, this thread shouldn't be a dumping ground for anti-car,anti-driving ideology.
Sorry. I know that some of you are über-sensitive to any criticism of the sacred automobile, but I was under the impression that this was the Living Car Free sub-forum. When comparing walking to cycling, it seems most fitting to compare them both to driving.

Last edited by Ekdog; 03-14-13 at 05:54 AM.
Old 03-14-13, 07:11 AM

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Sorry. I know that some of you are über-sensitive to any criticism of the sacred automobile, but I was under the impression that this was the Living Car Free sub-forum. When comparing walking to cycling, it seems most fitting to compare them both to driving.
Agreed. In may ways the focus of the forum is anti-car even in name. Perhaps we should change it to the Bicycle as the Primary Form of Transportation subform to preserve the sanctity of the automobile culture?
Old 03-14-13, 08:09 AM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by zeppinger
Agreed. In may ways the focus of the forum is anti-car even in name. Perhaps we should change it to the Bicycle as the Primary Form of Transportation subform to preserve the sanctity of the automobile culture?
Old 03-14-13, 08:44 AM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Although "anti-car" messages are posted all the time on the road forum and A&S forum without comment, on this forum such statements will be harshly dealt with. It's sorta like the time Oprah Winfrey made an anti-beef statement in Texas and got sued for millions of dollars.

I bet this thread will be locked, or "certain posts" will be deleted within the next few hours.

For the record, I don't find your post to be off topic. if somebody has been a pedestrian for very long, they are either anti-car or a liar. Even more than cyclists, walkers are constantly threatened by distracted motorists while navigating streets that were designed by engineers who are clearly "pro-car" and "anti-walker." Right turn on red has killed hundreds of pedestrians, but it gets motorists to their destinations a few seconds quicker, so pro-car people love it. You will pry their steering wheels out of their cold dead fingers before they give up their right to turn on a red light.

Try walking across a five or six lane road when the nearest crosswalk is a half-mile away, or 20 minutes round trip out of your way. Try using that crosswalk when the only window for pedestrians to walk is 10 seconds out of every four minutes, and even during that time, cars legally continue to make turns through the crosswalk. Try this at night. Try it if you're a senior citizen, a child, or God forbid blind.

And yes, this is an actual intersection that I frequently do use. It's a horribly dangerous intersection, but it does get thousands of cars through efficiently. There are many thousands of intersections like it. Often I use it with my young grandson, and I always fear for his life. So if I, or any pedestrian, am "anti-car"--there is a good reason for it.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-14-13, 11:02 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bashing cars or car culture, even on a forum such as this one, will not bring others into the car-free or car-light fold. If anything, it will create more animosity between them and us. If this forum becomes an anti-car forum rather than a pro-bike forum or a forum for transportation alternatives, we will lose far more than we can ever hope to gain.
Old 03-14-13, 11:30 AM
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Liked 1,708 Times in 857 Posts
When I read what Ekdog wrote, I just laughed. I assumed he was only half-serious, and perhaps trolling for a troll. It wasn't really personal, even anti-driver; just anti-car.
Old 03-14-13, 12:33 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Although "anti-car" messages are posted all the time on the road forum and A&S forum without comment, on this forum such statements will be harshly dealt with. It's sorta like the time Oprah Winfrey made an anti-beef statement in Texas and got sued for millions of dollars.

I bet this thread will be locked, or "certain posts" will be deleted within the next few hours.

For the record, I don't find your post to be off topic. if somebody has been a pedestrian for very long, they are either anti-car or a liar. Even more than cyclists, walkers are constantly threatened by distracted motorists while navigating streets that were designed by engineers who are clearly "pro-car" and "anti-walker." Right turn on red has killed hundreds of pedestrians, but it gets motorists to their destinations a few seconds quicker, so pro-car people love it. You will pry their steering wheels out of their cold dead fingers before they give up their right to turn on a red light.

Try walking across a five or six lane road when the nearest crosswalk is a half-mile away, or 20 minutes round trip out of your way. Try using that crosswalk when the only window for pedestrians to walk is 10 seconds out of every four minutes, and even during that time, cars legally continue to make turns through the crosswalk. Try this at night. Try it if you're a senior citizen, a child, or God forbid blind.

And yes, this is an actual intersection that I frequently do use. It's a horribly dangerous intersection, but it does get thousands of cars through efficiently. There are many thousands of intersections like it. Often I use it with my young grandson, and I always fear for his life. So if I, or any pedestrian, am "anti-car"--there is a good reason for it.
Which intersection is that? It could be dozens of them I know in Lansing and East Lansing....
Old 03-14-13, 12:39 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Newspaperguy
Bashing cars or car culture, even on a forum such as this one, will not bring others into the car-free or car-light fold. If anything, it will create more animosity between them and us. If this forum becomes an anti-car forum rather than a pro-bike forum or a forum for transportation alternatives, we will lose far more than we can ever hope to gain.
I agree with you for the most part but again, the name of the forum says it all. If we are car-free in opposition to all others who are car-trapped, then we have already made a judgment about them.
Old 03-14-13, 12:42 PM
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by zeppinger
Which intersection is that? It could be dozens of them I know in Lansing and East Lansing....
I was thinking of Grand River Ave. and Marsh Rd. One of my grandson's favorite activities is to take the #1bus to Okemos to spend hi allowance at the mall and Best Buy. I enjoy it too, but neither of us likes crossing Grand River there.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-14-13, 12:47 PM
Sophomoric Member

All these years of being nicey-nice haven't gotten us very far either. Maybe we need to capitalize on the fact that many people who drive cars hate them even more than we do, and they would get out of their cars if they thought the culture and the infrastructure would support them.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-14-13, 01:48 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Correct. Starting an anti-car argument will derail the original intent of this thread. Anyone who wants to carry on the anti-car discussion can feel free to start a new thread on that topic.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 03-14-13, 02:35 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roody
All these years of being nicey-nice haven't gotten us very far either. Maybe we need to capitalize on the fact that many people who drive cars hate them even more than we do, and they would get out of their cars if they thought the culture and the infrastructure would support them.
I know of nobody who has changed a political affiliation, religious belief or world view because their position was ridiculed. If anything, such treatment results in even more of a hardline stance than the person had before. Why would it be any different with one's choice of transportation?
Old 03-14-13, 04:30 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I'm walking far more these days than riding my bike as well, mainly due to:

-Lack of cycling infrastructure in my town.
-Justifying the cost of service/repairs that are beyond my skills is a bone of contention with a non-supportive SO.
-My vision is getting to the point where I question my own ability to safely ride.
Old 03-14-13, 06:40 PM
Sophomoric Member

I know of nobody who has changed a political affiliation, religious belief or world view because their position was ridiculed. If anything, such treatment results in even more of a hardline stance than the person had before. Why would it be any different with one's choice of transportation?
Sorry, we're not allowed to discuss.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-14-13, 07:41 PM
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
I'm walking far more these days than riding my bike as well, mainly due to:

-Lack of cycling infrastructure in my town.
-Justifying the cost of service/repairs that are beyond my skills is a bone of contention with a non-supportive SO.
-My vision is getting to the point where I question my own ability to safely ride.
Sorry to hear that. I see many folks around here who continue to ride into their 80s. I guess they get their cataracts removed and are good to go for a while.
Old 03-14-13, 07:45 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Cataracts would be preferable to glaucoma...

Anyway, this thread has given me an idea for a spin-off of sorts....stay tuned