Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Delays you didn't mind.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Delays you didn't mind.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-18, 05:28 PM
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
. I've called paramedics to report people seemingly passed out out
I forgot about the time I stopped and called 911 about the guy passed out by the bike path. He was a regular, and one of the cops that showed up had memorized the guys Social Security number from having taken him in to sober up before.
Old 08-27-18, 06:08 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I was stopped by the RCMP Pipe band parade. Didn't mind it at all

(Not a picture I took but similar to what I saw except it was bigger)
Old 08-28-18, 12:02 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Delays Italian Style

My favorite type of delay...Aperol Spritz and a pastry...

And another type. Mind or not, these fellows are coming through...
I was in my this time but it is pretty common in Northern Italy...This is the middle of a main road.
Old 08-28-18, 05:00 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18463 Post(s)
Liked 15,727 Times in 7,391 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
That photo perfectly illustrates why I get impatient with city folks who move to the country and don't respect the original purpose of farm/ranch to market roads.

Lots of former farms and ranches are sold and redeveloped as pricey homes on cheap land, including the farm/ranch land owned by my great-grandparents. Combined with lower gas prices, it encourages city folks to buy rural homes and commute longer distances. They can get a larger home for a fraction of the price of a smaller home in the city.
That road is a state highway that runs along the Big Hole River, which is an extremely popular fishing destination for locals and some tourists. Fortunately, there is not much development in that areas. I camped about 8 miles east of where I took the photo. BLM campground along the Big Hole After I set up camp some guys came back to their site with a float boat in tow. They got out with beers in their hands and were obviously intoxicated.

What you are talking about is going on in, among other places, the Madison Valley around the town of Ennis. Camped there a few days later. I had camped at the same fishing access campground back in 2000. As I started to enter town I was shocked at the amount of development that had taken place over the last 17 years. Across the Madison River from the campground there are now riverside homes. There was nothing there before. Ranches have been sold for dwelling land, and I saw several tracts that were up for sale. On the way down the mountain I stopped at a viewing point. There was a plaque explaining how development was interfering with elk migration as they come down from the mountains during the winter. Really sad. You can sort of see some of the development in this shot. As I got down into the valley there were several land sale signs for properties that clearly had been ranches. BTW...The peaks are usually covered with snow at that time of year, but the summers have been coming earlier and hotter. I left the next day. The forecast in Ennis was for close to 100 degrees.

Old 08-28-18, 05:03 AM

Goats being driven off a hillside in Andalucia, Spain.

Old 08-28-18, 05:06 AM

Re-enactment of the Canadian-U.S. Pony Express in Tonasket, WA.

Old 08-28-18, 05:07 AM

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Troul
nicehole...
Thats alot of motivation!
Old 08-28-18, 06:49 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,599 Times in 2,353 Posts
did not mind letting this guy pass me. I heard it, then saw it in my mirror. looked at the narrow windy road w no shoulder I was on, & thought, yeah, think I'll take a break here ...

Old 08-28-18, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
did not mind letting this guy pass me. I heard it, then saw it in my mirror. looked at the narrow windy road w no shoulder I was on, & thought, yeah, think I'll take a break here ...
Heh. Good decision. When I get home I will try to find the photo of a ground us in Indiana pulling off to the side of the road to allow a really wide farm vehicle that was coming toward us pass. IIRC, it had six front tires. Three on each side. We weren't going to take any chances.
Old 08-28-18, 07:07 AM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Riding across Massachusetts with friends, luckily the wind was blowing just right, and we could smell the most wonderful bread. "Follow your nose! We are stopping!" Over hills and curves and even past a graveyard, seemed like a half-a-mile later until we came upon Bread Euphoria on the Williamsburg/Northampton line. It might not have been that far. It might have been farther.

-mr. bill
Old 08-28-18, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Bread Euphoria on the Williamsburg/Northampton line.
Rode right near the place in June during a tour from St. Albans, VT to Philly. Came down Mountain then High St., crossed MA 9 and continued down S. Main, and on the other side of the river. I will have to keep the place in mind if I am ever up that way again.
Old 08-28-18, 07:28 AM
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by yarbrough462
My favorite type of delay...Aperol Spritz and a pastry...
Buonissimo!
Old 08-28-18, 07:41 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Not on a commute, but I once got delayed very slightly on one of my very long rides by a girls high school track team taking turns sprinting on the path that happens to go right behind the school. The coach and the girls were really apologetic which they needn't have been because they very quickly made a gap for me to ride in. The coach offered me points for running girls over because dodging me would make them faster (something I realize only sounds funny if you heard his tone while saying it--the girls laughed).

For the only time in my life, I felt like I was in a Norman Rockwell painting. The girls were so polite and nice while working out hard in the hot sun it was a pleasant moment.
Old 08-28-18, 07:43 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Riding across Massachusetts with friends, luckily the wind was blowing just right, and we could smell the most wonderful bread. "Follow your nose! We are stopping!" Over hills and curves and even past a graveyard, seemed like a half-a-mile later until we came upon Bread Euphoria on the Williamsburg/Northampton line. It might not have been that far. It might have been farther.

-mr. bill

That is not a delay, that's a bonus!
Old 08-28-18, 08:20 AM
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
One day as the storm was moving in on my way home from work, I decided to seek shelter in a school doorway. Once the worst had passed, I headed out to find the road a mile down strewn with large tree branches. (with no shelter nearby) Nope, I didn't mind the delay one bit!

Last edited by AlmostTrick; 08-28-18 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-28-18, 08:59 AM

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I, too have stopped to help those with mechanical problems. I've called paramedics to report people seemingly passed out out of sight of traffic, I've stopped to report dangerous vandalism (like signs bent into traffic, and dangerously compromised light poles) and I've had to stop to report some wildfires during fire season. Oh, yeah, and a couple of years ago I saw a woman being forced into a car by two men. I pulled out of sight to report that one.
On one of my rides, I saw something walking across the street ahead of me about a block away, when I got up to the location I found that it was a toddler probably under the age of 2 walking around without any parental supervision. Called the police to have them come down since the child couldn't speak anything but toddler gibberish yet. Luckily he was carrying a phone with him and the officer knew where the kid belonged, at the house on the corner. I hate to think what would have happened had a careless and inattentive driver sped through there when the kid was in the street.
Old 08-28-18, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Good job reposting a photo that never should have been posted in the first place. I strongly suggest that you delete you post so the mods don't have to.
I think that's a very attractive bike that would have made me stop and look at it. Maybe the mods will find it's too cheap a bike for a photo.
Old 08-28-18, 10:01 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,599 Times in 2,353 Posts
six front tires. Three on each side
yikes!
Old 08-28-18, 10:04 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Wasn't welcomed or even really a delay, but I found I had accidentally joined a funeral procession the other day. I got out of it as soon as I could, the hi-viz shirt sort of clashed with the proceedings.
Old 08-28-18, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by MrJames67
I think that's a very attractive bike that would have made me stop and look at it. Maybe the mods will find it's too cheap a bike for a photo.
It was removed because objectifying women is a no-no. You know the photo was not about the bike, so you are not being clever. Do you have something of substance to add to an otherwise good thread?
Old 08-29-18, 06:02 AM

yikes!
Here you go.

Old 08-29-18, 06:06 AM

Another tractor delay. This one east of Bismarck, ND.

Old 08-29-18, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by no motor?
I forgot about the time I stopped and called 911 about the guy passed out by the bike path. He was a regular, and one of the cops that showed up had memorized the guys Social Security number from having taken him in to sober up before.
You guys reminded me of the time the GF and I stopped to call the police after we passed a young guy in a parked car who had passed out with the engine running. EMT gave him Narcan and revived him.
Old 08-29-18, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7051 Post(s)
Liked 11,106 Times in 4,742 Posts
Once on a group ride, we were way out in the countryside and came across a RR track crossing with about a dozen RR cars parked across (blocking) the road, brake set, and no engine attached. Very weird. We had to go under the cars, passing bikes from one side to the other.

I didn't mind it so much, because it was so odd.
Old 08-29-18, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Delays you don't mind
Originally Posted by MrJames67
It was removed because objectifying women is a no-no. You know the photo was not about the bike, so you are not being clever. Do you have something of substance to add to an otherwise good thread?
I had posted that photo with IMO a chivalrous comment, and my post was deleted. I wrote:
I usually offer while rolling ... "need anything?" only stopping if they do. this past year, only 1 taker ...
Originally Posted by winston63
Yep, that's my MO in these situations. I've had a couple of people who did need help and it's: gratifying to be able to help them out.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I once posted regarding good deeds that cyclists perform as a result of their nimbleness, flexibility, and accessibility is that we are the Knights Errant of the Road
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The adjective errant (meaning "wandering, roving") indicates how the knight-errant would wander the land in search of adventures to prove his chivalric virtues, either in knightly duels (pas d'armes) or in some other pursuit of courtly love
For example…

Or,
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
On one of the worst winter days I have ridden by bike on studded tires, I was able to stop three different times, to push hapless drivers spinning their wheels on icy roads to get onto less slippery patches.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-29-18 at 10:06 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.