Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cinelli model 64 vs. Nitto Noodle model. 177

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Cinelli model 64 vs. Nitto Noodle model. 177

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-20, 12:19 PM

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4528 Post(s)
Liked 6,427 Times in 3,700 Posts
I get them way up, try to have them so the transition is ramped up towards me with the least "crook" so I'm leaning on, not in it.

But that's just me.

Old 05-28-20, 02:14 PM
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 648 Posts

Here's my brake lever position with the B153
Old 05-29-20, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Got around to doing the little things on the bike I had hoped to get to. Lighter tubes, new bar, stem and tape, new cables and housing, repacked headset and rear hub, and trued the rear wheel a bit. One of my tubes got a snake bite (I think) and exploded like a gunshot. Whoops. Thankfully I had 3.

Likes For Narhay:
Old 05-30-20, 11:32 AM

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
That set up looks very good to me. I think the maes bend is the right choice for that bike. Better for general purpose and long distance. Please let us know how you like the backward sweep of the noodles. It always seemed like it would bother me. If anything my wrists want to go the other way when on top. Perhaps most people don't ever ride the tops anymore?

FWIW the rule I was taught BITD was the tips of the levers could anywhere from just touching the ruler held along the bottom of the bars, to maybe a cm above it. By default I generally split the difference and set them at ~ 4-5mm above. That was a pretty typical standard position. Like RiddleOfSteel says, lower favors hands when riding in the drops, higher favors the hoods. If you are a fast descender, you may even like dropping the tips below the plane of the drops. Some Italian pros were still setting their bars up this way in the 70s.
Old 05-30-20, 02:50 PM

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 4528 Post(s)
Liked 6,427 Times in 3,700 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
That set up looks very good to me. I think the maes bend is the right choice for that bike. Better for general purpose and long distance. Please let us know how you like the backward sweep of the noodles. It always seemed like it would bother me. If anything my wrists want to go the other way when on top. Perhaps most people don't ever ride the tops anymore?

FWIW the rule I was taught BITD was the tips of the levers could anywhere from just touching the ruler held along the bottom of the bars, to maybe a cm above it. By default I generally split the difference and set them at ~ 4-5mm above. That was a pretty typical standard position. Like RiddleOfSteel says, lower favors hands when riding in the drops, higher favors the hoods. If you are a fast descender, you may even like dropping the tips below the plane of the drops. Some Italian pros were still setting their bars up this way in the 70s.
I found the backward sweep to be one of those things that is counterintuitive.

looks a bit wack but works very well for me, mine are wide ones which seems to accentuate all of it and work even better for having more real estate to work with.

You have to ignore what you see and become one with the noodle.

I love them.
Likes For merziac: