Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Building a road bike: Still worth it to go rim over disc?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Building a road bike: Still worth it to go rim over disc?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-23, 03:03 PM

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1284 Post(s)
Liked 1,405 Times in 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Yeah. I can't believe how slow they're going uphill in the Tour this year. It looks like they're riding in molasses. It's definitely the fat, heavy wheels and tires.
and it’s just so sad that sponsored professional athletes are such shrinking violets, unable to speak for themselves or without any independent ambition to win that they just let themselves be hobbled like this.

sloping top tubes too. imagine how much incredibly faster they’d be with a horizontal top tube.
Old 07-20-23, 03:17 PM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3980 Post(s)
Liked 7,429 Times in 2,988 Posts
Yeah. I can't believe how slow they're going uphill in the Tour this year. It looks like they're riding in molasses. It's definitely the fat, heavy wheels and tires.
Slowing the riders makes the stages longer, which allows Big Bike to run more commercials during the broadcast. They are evil geniuses.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-20-23, 03:42 PM
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2008 Post(s)
Liked 1,515 Times in 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
and it’s just so sad that sponsored professional athletes are such shrinking violets, unable to speak for themselves or without any independent ambition to win that they just let themselves be hobbled like this.

sloping top tubes too. imagine how much incredibly faster they’d be with a horizontal top tube.
Wait, I thought that sloping top tubes were developed not for compliance, but to provide more space in front of the seat post for Sagan and others to assume and maintain a super tuck while speeding downhill (before this riding position was later banned by the UCI).
Old 07-20-23, 11:31 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 228 Posts
So here's the thing about platinum cards...

I tried to use a platinum card to buy a 7000€ bicycle a few months back and I just couldn't do it. None of the bike shops accepted the platinum card provider and none would make an exception to score a certain sale (and since this is an ebike we're talking about, pretty hefty income from maintenance in the future)

It would turn out that the platinum card provider charges such high fees from vendors that at least bike shops in my area won't accept it.

This experience somewhat makes me insecure about the validity of claims that dropping platinum cards would dictate the direction of the technological advancements in the bike industry...
Old 07-21-23, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 8333 Post(s)
Liked 9,162 Times in 4,521 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
So here's the thing about platinum cards...

I tried to use a platinum card to buy a 7000€ bicycle a few months back and I just couldn't do it. None of the bike shops accepted the platinum card provider and none would make an exception to score a certain sale (and since this is an ebike we're talking about, pretty hefty income from maintenance in the future)

It would turn out that the platinum card provider charges such high fees from vendors that at least bike shops in my area won't accept it.

This experience somewhat makes me insecure about the validity of claims that dropping platinum cards would dictate the direction of the technological advancements in the bike industry...
The platinum card was introduced in this thread as a means of insulting buyers of certain bikes/components. The poster who did this asserted that dumb people could be easily convinced to buy whatever the marketers told them to buy.

All references to the platinum card after that have been sarcasm or reaction to the assertion.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-21-23, 03:34 PM
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3260 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
The platinum card was introduced in this thread as a means of insulting buyers of certain bikes/components. The poster who did this asserted that dumb people could be easily convinced to buy whatever the marketers told them to buy.

All references to the platinum card after that have been sarcasm or reaction to the assertion.
I don’t understand why people get upset at others spending 1000s on bikes if that’s what they want to spend their money on.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 07-21-23, 03:42 PM

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1284 Post(s)
Liked 1,405 Times in 714 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
I don’t understand why people get upset at others spending 1000s on bikes if that’s what they want to spend their money on.
they don't get upset unless the bikes have carbon frames, tubeless tires, "fat" tires > 25mm, disc brakes, sloping top tubes, 1x drivetrains, or electronic derailleurs. for whatever reason those technologies are an affront to their self-worth!!! us poor suckers
Old 07-21-23, 03:48 PM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5035 Post(s)
Liked 8,245 Times in 3,898 Posts
Because those people aren't thinking for themselves, and must be stopped before they contribute to the economy. They are mindless sheep who have no willpower against the evil marketing geniuses employed by Big Bike, and Big Bike's subsidiaries (Big Disc, Big Tubeless, etc.).
Old 07-21-23, 03:49 PM
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3260 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
they don't get upset unless the bikes have carbon frames, tubeless tires, "fat" tires > 25mm, disc brakes, sloping top tubes, 1x drivetrains, or electronic derailleurs. for whatever reason those technologies are an affront to their self-worth!!! us poor suckers
Because those people aren't thinking for themselves, and must be stopped before they contribute to the economy. They are mindless sheep who have no willpower against the evil marketing geniuses employed by Big Bike, and Big Bike's subsidiaries (Big Disc, Big Tubeless, etc.).
Must.
Be.
Stopped.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 07-21-23, 03:51 PM

It boggles the mind.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-21-23, 11:18 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by big john

You know I was sorta hoping the irony would show through from my post. But that just goes to show I just don't have the subtlety of a native speaker, no matter however much Pratchett I've read...
Old 07-22-23, 04:42 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4492 Post(s)
Liked 4,964 Times in 3,069 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Let's break this down once again (sigh):

Fat tires: They are heavy and require fat heavy rims. Good for comfort I guess. They feature high wind resistance and high rolling resistance. Yes, if you pumped a 32mm Conti GP5000 to 100psi, you may save 2 watts of rolling resistance over a 23mm tire. But you pump the 32mm tire to 70psi, and then the rolling resistance for the fatter tire is now more. Besides, tire rolling resistance is a distant second-order drain of watts.

Sloping top tubes: easier to get an off of the bike if you have hip problems. More standover height is good if you are riding your road race bike over a minefield of rocks and roots, and your 'tender parts' come in frequent contact with the top tube. Guess a good thing on a road race bike. BTW, due to the extra frame reinforcement required in the seatpost cluster, and the longer seatpost, the sloping top tube design is actually heavier than the traditional road bike frame with a horizontal top tube.

Tubeless: If you are flatting out every week, good I guess.

Discs: good if you are riding down a steep mountain road in the sleet carrying camping gear with frozen hands. Otherwise, heavy, fussy, expensive and unnecessary.
As usual these are just a weak attempt to deride newer things that you clearly hate. Any reasonable arguments are drowned in your arrogance and bitterness.

Do any of your riding friends have bikes with disc brakes, sloping top tubes, “fat” tyres etc and do you deride them in the same way as you do on this forum?
Old 07-22-23, 06:26 AM

You know I was sorta hoping the irony would show through from my post. But that just goes to show I just don't have the subtlety of a native speaker, no matter however much Pratchett I've read...
Or it just whooshed right over my head.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-22-23, 09:12 AM
Noob Bee

Bikes: Specialized Crux, Winspace SLC 2.0, Giant TCR Alliance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts
As I build my new bike, I'm wondering now how many features I can put on it for maximum aggravation to, er, "traditionalists".
  • Fat tires (28mm)
  • Disc brakes (you know, from those filthy mountain bikers)
  • Sloping top tube
  • other aero features that make the bike slightly heavier
  • Tubeless tires
  • Chain guide (to support my 1x drive train....and also from those filthy mountain bikers)
Thinking of adding a dropper post for comfort + control on descents, which sacrifices a bit of weight...but also borrowed from those filthy mountain bikers.
Old 07-22-23, 09:26 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10488 Post(s)
Liked 12,015 Times in 6,151 Posts
This is why we're all riding with Dura Ace AX and Dyna Drive pedals, because we're all sheep and will buy anything we're told to.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-22-23, 09:27 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by PeteHski
As usual these are just a weak attempt to deride newer things that you clearly hate. Any reasonable arguments are drowned in your arrogance and bitterness.

Do any of your riding friends have bikes with disc brakes, sloping top tubes, “fat” tyres etc and do you deride them in the same way as you do on this forum?
Friends?

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-22-23, 09:28 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Subtlety is tough to convey in text.

Old 07-22-23, 09:42 AM

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by sir_crash_alot
As I build my new bike, I'm wondering now how many features I can put on it for maximum aggravation to, er, "traditionalists".
  • Fat tires (28mm)
  • Sloping top tube
  • Tubeless tires
  • Chain guide (to support my 1x drive train....and also from those filthy mountain bikers)
Thinking of adding a dropper post for comfort + control on descents, which sacrifices a bit of weight...but also borrowed from those filthy mountain bikers.
I now use fatter tires which are even nicer. Regarding droppers- I, being a filthy mountain biker, love them even though I was a holdout for ten years. I was thinking about the wireless AXS gravel one for the road bike. They would be so nice when bombing down those steep mountain passes at 4+ and the sharp corners would be a lot safer with a lower COG. Plus, I think that dropper has a slightly lower setting (than full extension) that has a bit of give for rough terrain.
Likes For Chandne:
Old 07-22-23, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,337 Times in 683 Posts
  • Fat tires (28mm)
  • Sloping top tube
  • Tubeless tires
I like this idea for a thread. Let them know you are a dentist and paid for your bike with a Platinum card.
Old 07-22-23, 07:59 PM

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 312 Posts
I am an engineer (not a Dentist) and I paid for my recent 1X13, disc brake, carbon fiber frame, sloping top tube, aero design, carbon wheeled, 28mm wide tubeless tire, carbon bottle caged Time Scylon with a card that says "Platinum Plus", and it is more enjoyable to ride for hours at a time than my steel or titanium bikes. Please note well that I am past my "full retirement age" and still working because it is enjoyable to be involved in designing modern products and learning new things.

Oh yeah, the crank arms, handlebars and seat post are also carbon fiber, and to make it even worse, the seat post is a proprietary design so I can't go buy a steel one on eBay. Now, can all those of you who think modern bikes are inferior please piss off.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 07-22-23, 09:26 PM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

• Fat tires (28mm)
  • Sloping top tube
  • Tubeless tires
Be sure to include electronic shifting, and as many CF parts as possible. Bonus points for going more than $20k in debt to do it.
Old 07-22-23, 09:32 PM
Habitual User

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
I am an engineer (not a Dentist) and I paid for my recent 1X13, disc brake, carbon fiber frame, sloping top tube, aero design, carbon wheeled, 28mm wide tubeless tire, carbon bottle caged Time Scylon with a card that says "Platinum Plus", and it is more enjoyable to ride for hours at a time than my steel or titanium bikes. Please note well that I am past my "full retirement age" and still working because it is enjoyable to be involved in designing modern products and learning new things.

Oh yeah, the crank arms, handlebars and seat post are also carbon fiber, and to make it even worse, the seat post is a proprietary design so I can't go buy a steel one on eBay. Now, can all those of you who think modern bikes are inferior please piss off.
Time Scylon!! Sweet. Time makes such lovely bikes. My 20yo Time VX Pro is still the best-handing bike I have ever ridden. However, based on what I’ve learned in this site, I expect it will asplode into dust at any moment. Meanwhile, I have seriously lustful thoughts about an ADHX.
Old 07-22-23, 11:14 PM

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 312 Posts
Time Scylon!! Sweet. Time makes such lovely bikes. My 20yo Time VX Pro is still the best-handing bike I have ever ridden. However, based on what I’ve learned in this site, I expect it will asplode into dust at any moment. Meanwhile, I have seriously lustful thoughts about an ADHX.
It will last longer than I will. After all, Time marches on.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 07-23-23, 01:38 PM

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Has anyone mentioned those filthy flared handlebars? I do like those too, though smaller flares for road and 12-16 for gravel. Ugh...we are like lepers for the classic guys who still smoke menthols and ride 19s and 21s.
Old 07-23-23, 01:54 PM
Noob Bee

Bikes: Specialized Crux, Winspace SLC 2.0, Giant TCR Alliance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
Has anyone mentioned those filthy flared handlebars? I do like those too, though smaller flares for road and 12-16 for gravel. Ugh...we are like lepers for the classic guys who still smoke menthols and ride 19s and 21s.
When will it end you filthy animals.
Likes For sir_crash_alot:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.