Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Di2: I am finally a luddite

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Di2: I am finally a luddite

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-18, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Ha, I was thinking about making a comment about GPS mapping. That's had a bigger impact on my riding than Di2. I can ride complicated routes that are completely unfamiliar to me, so I've been on a lot of interesting roads. I don't really think it's a crutch or a watering down of the riding experience, though.
Not a crutch, just a different tool/format. I once rode from Seattle to Philadelphia via Bar Harbor, ME using printed map panels with cues next to them. Only some of the roads during the last 60 miles or so of the trip were familiar to me. It's just the method I prefer, especially when touring since you don't have to worry about charging cue sheets, and you can use them to start campfires with in the evening.
Old 11-20-18, 12:29 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
, and you can use them to start campfires with in the evening.

Wait, there isn't an app for that?
Old 11-20-18, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Wait, there isn't an app for that?
You may have something there. A GPS device or phone with a built in particle beam generator. Could double as a frame welding device, but probably wouldn't help the crabon fibre crowd.
Old 11-20-18, 12:51 PM
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
Not using the latest technology isn't necessarily a rejection of it.
Old 11-20-18, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Electronic shifting does not do anything better than traditional cable shifting, however I think it is so slick to set up after the PIA installation that it is certainly worth considering in the future. I actually like something new!
Old 11-20-18, 01:06 PM
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeeze
True. If Di2 makes somebody else happy, then I am all for it...... but not on my bike.
Old 11-20-18, 02:24 PM
faster downhill

Bikes: more than my wife can keep track of

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

It is great that you understand you are a luddite and are not trying to impose your will or judge others.

BTW I love my Di2, disc brakes, tubeless tires and carbon fibre frame
Old 11-20-18, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Electronic should not be better than mechanical out of the box. Shimano and SRAM would have failed in their engineering if that were the case.

It's a year or two down the road, where Di2/eTap shifts like new and you start having to tweak the mechanical shifters.
Old 11-20-18, 02:59 PM
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by superpletch
the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

It is great that you understand you are a luddite and are not trying to impose your will or judge others.

BTW I love my Di2, disc brakes, tubeless tires and carbon fibre frame
Thank you for your understanding of my condition.

Di2 aside, I am actually pretty open to new stuff. I think I was one of the first 500 people in the world to buy a modern dropper post back in 2005 when Gravity Dropper came out, (years before they were widely accepted as anything but an overpriced gimmick).. I was fully on board with disc on road bikes well before there were any out there to buy. I like tubeless. I don't have any CF bikes now, but I have in the past and would be fine having one again. I think all the new All Road and Gravel bikes offerings are a great development. I think 650b is a good thing for mtbs and some gravel bikes. I like the new wide range cassettes (e.g., 10-42, 11-46).
Old 11-20-18, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
When did that CPSC stuff happen...1974? I want nothing to do with bikes or components post '74. Seriously. I ride euro steel with euro components. I cant stand anything Shimano. Occasionally I have to except an SR stem or Dia-Compe brake levers. But thats it. I even feel like its cheating using 6 speed freewheels, 5 speeds are just more true. You can all ride what you want, but I stick with my Viking, Mercier, Gitane, and Frejus.
Old 11-20-18, 03:25 PM
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by big chainring
When did that CPSC stuff happen...1974?.
It happened so long ago that I don't even know what "CPSC" means.

Last edited by Kapusta; 11-20-18 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-20-18, 03:32 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
It happened so long ago that I don't even know what "CPSC" means.
https://www.cpsc.gov/Business--Manuf...e-Requirements
Old 11-20-18, 04:23 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7352 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
Wow, @big chainring, you really are a luddite.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-20-18, 06:20 PM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Everyone is free to like and dislike what they want. I give credit to those who are honest enough to admit that their dislike has no rational basis and is pure emotion.

Still, I doubt the authors of the statements below understand them any more than I.

the "analog" and "mechanical" purity
Originally Posted by big chainring
5 speeds are just more true.

-Tim-
Old 11-20-18, 06:32 PM
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Everyone is free to like and dislike what they want. I give credit to those who are honest enough to admit that their dislike has no rational basis and is pure emotion.

Still, I doubt the authors of the statements below understand them any more than I.

-Tim-
I will let the other author speak for himself, but I understand my statement perfectly well, thank you.

And BYW, those are not statement, they are sentence fragments that make little sense on their own.

Not sure I agree with the “pure emotionl” part, unless you see aethetics and preference as “emotional”. Which perhaps it all is, anyway. In which case, I would be careful about claiming it never applies to you (not that you have done so).

Last edited by Kapusta; 11-20-18 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-20-18, 06:56 PM
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
The thing about Di2 is that for almost everyone, it is simply a luxury item that one can easily live without. (The exceptions I have in mind are people with arthritis or other conditions that really could benefit from not having to use mechanical shifting.)

As far as luxury gratuitous items go, I really like it. For me, it has been great not having missed a shift in five years. (I developed a lot of weird anxieties after breaking my ankle, one of which was a fear of shifting, probably due to having the chain come off my triple on my old mountain bike more often than I care to admit. Di2 cured that.)
Old 11-20-18, 07:00 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
So a "Luddite" in this case is like a bike-electronics-Vegan? So that would mean the Luddite wouldn't use any of these helpful electronic devices when riding: headlights, taillights, speed sensors, cadence sensors, electronic shifting, power meters, heart rate monitors, no Google Maps on the cell phone when lost, no recording and analyzing the ride via cell phone (Strava)?
I use lights because I want to lower my chances of dying on a ride. Heart rate and computer because I find these requirements for sanity riding the trainer (winter, sick and injured). Cell phone tucked into my wallet so I can call for help if I crash.

The vast majority of my daytime rides the only electronics I have are the taillights that lives full time on all my bikes and my cellphone. As for shifting, it is done without cables or wires on most of my bikes.

Ben
Old 11-20-18, 07:00 PM

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Di2 probably would make more sense if it could be upgraded to added speeds. The way it is now the 11-speed can't do the 12-speed even if it only would require software changes. So electronics yes can have merits. but artificially limiting it takes the fun out.
I personally also think it should be wireless to take clutter and installation hassle away.

The way it is sold now it is overpriced and still hamstrung. When (if) they resolve the 2 above issues and the price, I'm sure it would be more acceptable to more people.

I have an 1x11 SRAM NX, which is the bottom of the barrel for 11-speed. It shifts still perfectly after over a year, didn't really require much re-adjustment and on my fatbike i drag it through a lot of mud, under-load shifting etc. I just fail to see the problem DI2 would resolve for me.
Maybe for 2x drivetrains Di2 is good with its trim adjustment and cross-chain prevention etc.but for 1x drivetrains there is not much to simplify for the rider.
Old 11-20-18, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeeze
That is a very true statement that often gets over looked in discussions where it seems you have to choose one or the other.

I appreciate and often employ technological advancement but also find great enjoyment in stripping an experience down to its simplest form.
The good thing about bicycles is that they are cheap enough that a person can own several and have the best of all worlds.

Aluminun/Carbon Fiber, Disc, Brifters...

Hi Tensile, Fixed gear...

Chromoly, 1x7 friction, Canti's...
Old 11-21-18, 07:43 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Call me a mini-luddite.. I don't mind technology advances in the technology space, to a degree. I have a smartphone, for which I use maybe 3-4 apps on a daily basis. I really don't like that to keep my iMusic library, the lowest iPhone cost is now ridiculously high when I'm forced to 'upgrade' since my phone's processor will not be able to handle the latest OS to handle running the latest OpenTable app. In this vein, I wouldn't like a future scenario where bike shoppers don't have a choice to spend less for mechanical shifting.

Back to bikes.. Di2 is probably how I would go on a n+1, likely because it's closest copy to Campy ultrashift and more easily found -- especially in a disc-braked model. I get the 'purity' argument though. Look forward another decade, when there's potentially completely viable automatic transmissions, and motor assist (of course only when you really want it), and antilock braking, etc..

Is there any point (if it's not Di2 by itself), where you would come to think that the industry went "too far" -- and the "essence" of bicycling would be lost?
Old 11-21-18, 07:47 AM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

I will let the other author speak for himself, but I understand my statement perfectly well, thank you.

And BYW, those are not statement, they are sentence fragments that make little sense on their own.

Not sure I agree with the “pure emotionl” part, unless you see aethetics and preference as “emotional”. Which perhaps it all is, anyway. In which case, I would be careful about claiming it never applies to you (not that you have done so).
Can you articulate why you feel riding without Di2 is more pure than with?

-Tim-
Old 11-21-18, 07:55 AM
Advanced Slacker

Can you articulate why you feel riding without Di2 is more pure than with?

-Tim-
Can you articulate why you feel you are owed a justification for somebody else’s tastes, preferences, of sense of asthetics?

Seriously, ride what you like. Don’t get so caught up over what I do.

I did not start this thread to argue over the merits of Di2, or convince anyone they should think the way I do. I was actually pretty clear about the latter point at the end of my first post.

If you want to argue about Di2, please start your own thread.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by Kapusta; 11-21-18 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-21-18, 09:47 AM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Can you articulate why you feel you are owed a justification for somebody else’s tastes, preferences, of sense of asthetics?

Seriously, ride what you like. Don’t get so caught up over what I do.

I did not start this thread to argue over the merits of Di2, or convince anyone they should think the way I do. I was actually pretty clear about the latter point at the end of my first post.

If you want to argue about Di2, please start your own thread.

Have a nice day.

I didn't ask for justification for anything nor did I argue for or against Di2. Everyone is free to do whatever they want.

You wrote about analog or mechanical purity. It was your statement, not mine. I simply asked why you feel that way.

It is sometimes stated that that riding with a GPS reduces the purity of cycling, riding with 5 speed is a more true form of cycling and so forth. I've not heard anyone articulate why they feel that way but would like to hear a lucid answer.

My question is sincere and I've asked it before in other threads. I'm not trying to provoke.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 11-21-18 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-21-18, 10:31 AM
Advanced Slacker

I didn't ask for justification for anything
Actually, yes, you did.

You wrote about analog or mechanical purity. It was your statement, not mine. I simply asked why you feel that way.
What is it you are not understanding? I said that I don't want electronics, computers (and in a later post) motors integrated into my bike. Are you seriously not understanding why Di2 would therefore be something I don't want?

When I used the terms analog and mechanical purity, I was simply referring to not having digital and electronics integrated with the bike. But I think you already knew that.

It is sometimes stated that that riding with a GPS reduces the purity of cycling, riding with 5 speed is a more true form or cycling and so forth. I've not heard anyone articulate why they feel that way but would like to hear a lucid answer.
Please explain what this has to do with me. I said nothing about the "purity of cycling", or that mine tastes were more "pure" than anyone elses.

My question is sincere and I've asked it before in other threads. I'm not trying to provoke.
Nice try, but I don't think so. You started this by stating that I did not even understand what I was saying......
I doubt the authors of the statements below understand them any more than I.
Which sort of begs the question why you are continuing to ask me about it.

I think what you should really be focused on understanding is why it bothers you so much that someone has different tastes, preferences, or sense of aesthetics of the sport for themselves than you do. To put it in your terms, it....
has no rational basis and is pure emotion".

Last edited by Kapusta; 11-21-18 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-21-18, 11:10 AM
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 1,680 Posts
Actually, yes, you did.

What is it you are not understanding? I said that I don't want electronics, computers (and in a later post) motors integrated into my bike. Are you seriously not understanding why Di2 would therefore be something I don't want?

When I used the terms analog and mechanical purity, I was simply referring to not having digital and electronics integrated with the bike. But I think you already knew that.

Please explain what this has to do with me. I said nothing about the "purity of cycling", or that mine tastes were more "pure" than anyone elses.

Nice try, but I don't think so. You started this by stating that I did not even understand what I was saying......

Which sort of begs the question why you are continuing to ask me about it.

I think what you should really be focused on understanding is why it bothers you so much that someone has different tastes, preferences, or sense of aesthetics of the sport for themselves than you do. To put it in your terms, it....
di2 is a development that i cant afford if i wanted to, but like others have stated i am generally baffled by the different levels of shimano components. There is too much to choose from and too little difference in adjacent groups. At least for my non discriminating tastes. I use old suntour, campy and friction barends. It makes me happy and is really versatile and incredibly cheap. Biking is biking and if u can afford it and want it i say go ahead. Just try not to do harm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.