Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Guys, I need a safe space. I'm #triggered.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Guys, I need a safe space. I'm #triggered.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-19, 09:55 AM

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
By the sound of the weirdness of your neighbors, if you did anything to 'protect' their bike they would probably respond that it is none of your damn business.
Likes For rjhammett:
Old 01-06-19, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
The neighbors were probably just having some sort of party where the odors might have presented embarrassment if they had opened the door.
Probably right.
Likes For StanSeven:
Old 01-06-19, 11:38 AM

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 762 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
I'm still trying to figure out what business of anyone's it is what a neighbor does with their stuff in their yard....
If they live within a neighborhood governed by a homeowners' association, one could argue it's everybody's business.
Old 01-06-19, 11:58 AM

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 4,998 Times in 1,781 Posts
Originally Posted by rjhammett
By the sound of the weirdness of your neighbors, if you did anything to 'protect' their bike they would probably respond that it is none of your damn business.

How is that weird though? What goes on in my yard with my property is really no one's business. Maybe I'm out of touch with the world today but when did everyone become such busy bodies?
Old 01-06-19, 11:59 AM

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 4,998 Times in 1,781 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
If they live within a neighborhood governed by a homeowners' association, one could argue it's everybody's business.
True, and why I'll never, ever, ever live in an HOA. It's bad enough just having neighbors, LOL!
Old 01-06-19, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Clearly, they aren't interested in what you think and aren't interested in talking to you.

It's their bike, on their property. There's nothing weird about putting something that's not that important to you outside to get it out of the way.

I'd let it be. Personally I'd have some fairly stern words for anyone that came on my property and tried to "take care of" (tarping someone else's bike, really???)my stuff. I'd likely let my dog start the conversation actually.
Old 01-06-19, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 966 Posts
Maybe they have 80 bikes inside and the Trek is a turd bike to them.
Old 01-06-19, 02:14 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Maybe they saw this display at Costco and were inspired

DD
Old 01-06-19, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
OP needs to keep us updated on how the situation. It will make for an interesting read. Maybe a TV movie in the future.
Old 01-06-19, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
OP needs to keep us updated on how the situation. It will make for an interesting read. Maybe a TV movie in the future.
I will.

Separate thought: Holy cow, some of you guys here have issues.
Old 01-07-19, 12:07 AM

Bikes: '74 Raleigh Professional, '73 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Nishiki Medalist, '85 Gazelle Champion Mondial AB, '81 Peugeot Course, '79 Univega Gran Rally, '85 Torpado Super Strada

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
I will.

Separate thought: Holy cow, some of you guys here have issues.
Everyone has issues

If I were in your shoes, I would try to knock on the door again or better yet catch them on their way out/in. Taking the bike for “safe keeping” seems like a bad idea. Despite their disregard for basic bike care, it is still their property (hopefully). You can’t pick your neighbors unfortunately.
Old 01-07-19, 02:38 AM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
By convention, the way people who live in neighborhoods with an HOA communicate is by having the HOA lawyer send a letting threatening fines rather than simply knocking on a door to present grievances directly. Ask me how I know.
Old 01-07-19, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Raleigh74

Everyone has issues

If I were in your shoes, I would try to knock on the door again or better yet catch them on their way out/in. Taking the bike for “safe keeping” seems like a bad idea. Despite their disregard for basic bike care, it is still their property (hopefully). You can’t pick your neighbors unfortunately.
I'm definitely not taking it, we don't have an HOA (thank God), and I'm not sure I'll go back over there based on getting the door locked in my face. I might leave a note however, that seems like the least intrusive way to establish contact.

I can see other bikes in their house so I'm guessing this Trek is just a junker to them, especially since it's likely too big for anyone in the family to ride it.

No, they don't hate me, like I said we just moved in so they have no reason to even know we exist yet.
Old 01-07-19, 08:28 AM
HarborBandS

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
I'm definitely not taking it, we don't have an HOA (thank God), and I'm not sure I'll go back over there based on getting the door locked in my face. I might leave a note however, that seems like the least intrusive way to establish contact.

I can see other bikes in their house so I'm guessing this Trek is just a junker to them, especially since it's likely too big for anyone in the family to ride it.

No, they don't hate me, like I said we just moved in so they have no reason to even know we exist yet.

I think this sounds like a good plan.

Due to our previous discussions about a bike for sale, I maybe sort of know what town you are in. But I truly have no concept of what the social norms are there or what kind of neighborhood you are in. That would change my opinion of the situation. Is your neighborhood mostly families, or more transient in nature? Is it upscale or rough around the edges? Is it the type of place where leaving things in your yard is normal or at least accepted?

In my neighborhood (suburb of Chicago--walkable, older, low-crime neighborhood near train), people generally answer the door for neighbors, and foot traffic is pretty common with neighbors talking to each other on a regular basis and socializing. So I would have no trouble talking to any neighbor about anything. It sounds like Andy K's suburb is not this friendly. And when I lived in more urban and college transient types of neighborhoods, I would have never gotten involved.

And I agree that it's pretty terrible to leave a perfectly nice bike out in the elements in your front yard. But again, I don't live in an area where people do this kind of thing. The shame of being the "trashy neighbor" would be enough to prevent this sort of thing. But unless these guys are meth heads or truly sociopathic d!cks, I have to think that they would respond to a kind note? And if they have a bunch of bikes, maybe they are enthusiasts?

Or on the other hand, you may have moved next door to a den of bike thieves.
Old 01-07-19, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by HarborBandS
I think this sounds like a good plan.

Due to our previous discussions about a bike for sale, I maybe sort of know what town you are in. But I truly have no concept of what the social norms are there or what kind of neighborhood you are in. That would change my opinion of the situation. Is your neighborhood mostly families, or more transient in nature? Is it upscale or rough around the edges? Is it the type of place where leaving things in your yard is normal or at least accepted?

In my neighborhood (suburb of Chicago--walkable, older, low-crime neighborhood near train), people generally answer the door for neighbors, and foot traffic is pretty common with neighbors talking to each other on a regular basis and socializing. So I would have no trouble talking to any neighbor about anything. It sounds like Andy K's suburb is not this friendly. And when I lived in more urban and college transient types of neighborhoods, I would have never gotten involved.

And I agree that it's pretty terrible to leave a perfectly nice bike out in the elements in your front yard. But again, I don't live in an area where people do this kind of thing. The shame of being the "trashy neighbor" would be enough to prevent this sort of thing. But unless these guys are meth heads or truly sociopathic d!cks, I have to think that they would respond to a kind note? And if they have a bunch of bikes, maybe they are enthusiasts?

Or on the other hand, you may have moved next door to a den of bike thieves.
It's a great neighborhood, one of the best in town. It's mostly older folds with new families like mine moving in as the older generation ages out. The only reason that bike is still there is because of the neighborhood. These people are just really eclectic. They have little things here, there, and everywhere. They used bowling balls to line their garden to give you an idea.

They really are artsy people. From what I can tell they are a middle aged couple with two (maybe three) high school kids. It's likely the bike is the older boy's, if I had to guess. They aren't bike thieves or meth heads, they just strange. Even my neighbor that lives closer to them and has been here for years doesn't know them.

The saga continues...
Old 01-07-19, 08:47 AM
HarborBandS

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
It's a great neighborhood, one of the best in town. It's mostly older folds with new families like mine moving in as the older generation ages out. The only reason that bike is still there is because of the neighborhood. These people are just really eclectic. They have little things here, there, and everywhere. They used bowling balls to line their garden to give you an idea.

They really are artsy people. From what I can tell they are a middle aged couple with two (maybe three) high school kids. It's likely the bike is the older boy's, if I had to guess. They aren't bike thieves or meth heads, they just strange. Even my neighbor that lives closer to them and has been here for years doesn't know them.

The saga continues...
Ah, Hippie neighbors. We have a similar neighbor with yard sculptures made of old license plates and rusted steel rebar.

Totally the kid's bike. Makes perfect sense. Maybe he'll sell it to you cheap.
Old 01-07-19, 09:06 AM

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
If it really bothered me, it wouldn’t, as my neighbors put a lot more unsightly stuff in their side yard, I’d just take it, and donate it to a co-op at least a hundred miles away. Win-win problem solved. Unless it was my size, then I’d grab it, strip it, and rebuild it, with the frame professionally repainted in a different Trek color. I’d smile every time I rode it past their house. Might just become my favorite bike for that very reason. Tim

Last edited by tkamd73; 01-07-19 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-07-19, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by HarborBandS
Ah, Hippie neighbors. We have a similar neighbor with yard sculptures made of old license plates and rusted steel rebar.

Totally the kid's bike. Makes perfect sense. Maybe he'll sell it to you cheap.
If I could get them to talk to me..also, I don't want to buy it lol. It's HUGE
Old 01-07-19, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by tkamd73
If it really bothered me, it wouldn’t, as my neighbors put a lot more unsightly stuff in their side yard, I’d just take it, and donate it to a co-op at least a hundred miles away. Win-win problem solved. Unless it was my size, then I’d grab it, strip it, and rebuild it, with the frame professionally repainted in a different Trek color. I’d smile every time I rode it past their house. Might just become my favorite bike for that very reason. Tim
Dude.
Old 01-07-19, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
I would leave them a friendly note saying that I collect old bikes and live next door, am curious about the one in their yard, and if they'd like to know more, please follow this link to the bike forums discussion about them.
Old 01-07-19, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by belacqua
I would leave them a friendly note saying that I collect old bikes and live next door, am curious about the one in their yard, and if they'd like to know more, please follow this link to the bike forums discussion about them.
hahaha that's hilarious
Old 01-07-19, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
You need to be at the boundary line during coming/going times with your best Mr. Rogers impersonation. Camp out doing trivial yard work until you get a face to face. Heck, put a bike stand/bike out there and work on it as a subliminal message. Try not to look creepy. Don't let them see that you are drooling over their bike.
Old 01-07-19, 12:45 PM
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
I might leave a note however, that seems like the least intrusive way to establish contact.
My vote.

Got anything smaller that you can trade for it? Maybe an old Antelope or Mountain Track?

Last edited by Hudson308; 01-07-19 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-07-19, 12:54 PM

Unfortuanely no. I guess the '84 Trek 620 I just got? It's tiny. But it wouldn't be the best trade probably.
Old 01-07-19, 02:01 PM
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Why it's always good to be on beer-drinking or job-sharing terms with your neighbors!

Also, with no fences between yards (here in the 'burbs), neighbors can be quite communal about sharing their yard clean-up efforts across the property lines, and I've had neighbors bring me bikes, lumber, hardware-store gift certificates Vodka and frozen game meat in return for my own efforts. I don't have a gas-powered leaf blower, so neighbor-to-the-west blows off the entire hillside whenever he fires his up, and I in return keep the easement free of ground fuel using my mulching mower.

I keep an eye out for anyone having difficulty with their car, and am quick to run out with my battery charger ..or help push/roll their car to more-level ground (where their low-on-gas vehicle might then actually start!), whatever is needed.

It just kicks ass knowing that your neighbors will have your back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.