Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Brompton v Chedech, final?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Brompton v Chedech, final?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-23, 08:17 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,827 Times in 1,063 Posts
"The best defense against copying is innovation.” Will Butler-Adams

Perhaps Brompton should sue less and innovate more.
Old 08-19-23, 12:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On Copying vs Innovating

Originally Posted by Winfried
If that competition actually spends on R&D instead of just copycatting an existing product.

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/facts...rcial-property
Seems that if a Western company makes something better than the incumbents, they're called "disruptors." If it's an Asian company, they're called "copycats" despite being lighter, faster, stronger, cheaper improvements of decades old "innovations." Inventing once doesn't make you an innovator; innovating does.

If your only defense against better, cheaper competitors is finger-pointing… you're out of ideas.
Old 08-20-23, 02:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Originally Posted by childcarepro
Seems that if a Western company makes something better than the incumbents, they're called "disruptors." If it's an Asian company, they're called "copycats" despite being lighter, faster, stronger, cheaper improvements of decades old "innovations." Inventing once doesn't make you an innovator; innovating does.

If your only defense against better, cheaper competitors is finger-pointing… you're out of ideas.
"We're a sue-happy company stifling competition so we can keep our prices high!"
Yeah, thanks Brommie, helped me narrow my purchasing decision to NOT-Brompton.

idiots
Old 08-20-23, 02:42 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 213 Posts
I also don't like the commercial strategy of Brompton.

But do not like the clones and their manufacturers that, for most of them, stupidly copy everything, even the well known weak points of the Brompton.

A single man like Ben of Kinetics does a much better job with his upgraded Brompton.

For me the Dahon Curl is not a clone, its just inspired by the Brompton with several mods to solve several weak points of the Brompton.

For the Chedech, there are some improvements but it has the drawback of the carbon frame not that good for a folding bike while being much heavier than a T-line.
Old 08-20-23, 02:49 AM

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
I’m not sure Kinetix qualifies as comparison to bike manufacturers. It’s tailored made design, very expensive with long wait times and serious issues with availability and delivery options worldwide. I emailed them once and never received a reply.
Old 08-20-23, 03:49 AM

You are right, these are typical problems of a one man company.

But what Ben designed, implemented and manufactured could easily be done by a company like Brompton to improve their bikes.

For the prices, most of the price come from the price of higher quality components for the hubs, brakes... the rear triangle of Kinetics isn't that expensive considering that it is hand built and in stainless steel, an industrialized production (and lower quality not stainless steel, but stainless steel is much better) would greatly reduce its price.
Old 08-20-23, 08:55 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,827 Times in 1,063 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe
For the Chedech, there are some improvements but it has the drawback of the carbon frame not that good for a folding bike while being much heavier than a T-line.
Hmm.

The manufacturer's advertised numbers I'm seeing:

Brompton T Line One - 7.44kg, $5225USD
Chedech Air Limited - 6.82kg, $3700USD
Old 08-21-23, 07:33 AM

I found 8.6kg :

Old 08-23-23, 01:57 AM

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by CEBEP
. It’s tailored made design, very expensive with long wait times and serious issues with availability and delivery options worldwide.
Basically, a typical custom frame manufacturer. I looked into steel racing gravel cyclocross custom frame, they all require same amount of labor and are often a "man in a shed" type of business. Not surprising.
The only one that are cheaper with less delivery issues tends to be semi industrialized: the get small volumes from far east and do custom assembly with specific accessories, basically "pret a porter".