Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

To all the newbie- young dudes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

To all the newbie- young dudes

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-11, 12:00 PM

Bikes: 1991 Tomassini Prestige 1973 Raliegh Supercourse, 1975 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1983 Fuji S-12, 1975 Motobecane Mirage, 1983 Motobecane Super Mirage 1999 Trek 930 1989 Trek 930 ,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by non-fixie

This bike is probably an entry level and low-end bike. No Campagnolo on it either. And get a Brooks Professional for c....

Just kidding. Good piece of prose, IknowURider! I'll co-sign that anytime.
I have a whole thread on this, feel free to stalk that. When I built this up I was like "meh, a bike company that makes transistor radios?" But I was blown away by how stable it was and how well it handles. All the parts came off my exploded Raliegh Record (another old rave thread) . Check out the RD, it's a 70's Sachs Challenger married to a cheap Sun Race freewheel. Don't beleive Shimano when they say you have to have all Shimano or it won't shift properly. This bike goes "click".
Old 09-28-11, 12:21 PM

Bikes: 1991 Tomassini Prestige 1973 Raliegh Supercourse, 1975 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1983 Fuji S-12, 1975 Motobecane Mirage, 1983 Motobecane Super Mirage 1999 Trek 930 1989 Trek 930 ,

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Randy, if I remember correctly, you had a Grand Jubilee on there, very sweet. I think you said you found it at the dump. I give this a chance rating of .00002%, but then again, because you are out there with your line in the water, the fish eventually come.

Another thing about "low grade" or "gaspipe" steel is that it can be bent back (cold set to use a gentler term) more easily than Chromoly or Manganese Moly. So you save on repair work.

One last thing: when finding a "rescue", don't instantly give up if you have hassles restoring it. Stay focused and positive. Some bikes you have to fight with a little.

One of the most memorable bikes I restored was a Raleigh Ladies single speed that I wrenched out of a CT snowbank, waiting for the dump truck Judging from the wear on the rubber pedal pads , this bike had probably been ridden for 2 or 3 generations. But a couple spokes broke, and it then started to rust in the garage.

I probably put 25 hours into it, (free labor) some touch up paint, a rear rack, and I sent it to Houston TX. My old college roomates wife. It's now retired on a Texas beach. Her two daughters ride it also.

A bike that was a survivor like that should never be dismissed or condemned.
Old 09-28-11, 12:25 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by IknowURider
Your chances of finding a 58 CM (23") steel frame on Craigslist these days, regardless of price, are getting pretty slim.
I guess everything is local, almost half the road bikes I find are 23 inch, I find them all of the time. Found two last week. Note, found to me = at a flippable price. If I was willing to pay full market, then I would have found a lot more. I also sold two 23 inch frame road bikes in the last week. Mine were posted on the local C/L, so if you were in my area, you would have seen them (both went for quite a bit more than $125). Now I typically do not find flippable bikes on C/L, unless I move lightning fast. The Nishiki below came from a thrift store, the Falcon came off a C/L two hours away (both ways) and the Motobecane Jubile Sport came from a garage sale.

I typically find good/very good bikes in the medium size range: anywhere from 21 inch to 23 inch. Finding high quality small bikes (19 inch frame or less), now that is challenging.

I am size agnostic. I will pick up any size road bike if it is decent and the price is attractive. Given a choice, the smaller the better, as the market responds best to small bikes.

Sold a nice 1977 23 inch Nishiki International yesterday.

Sold this really nice Falcon a couple of weeks back: all Reynolds 531C frameset.

This 1982 Motobecane was sold earlier this year.

I could post a ton more, but this gives a cross section of what I find.

Last edited by wrk101; 09-28-11 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-28-11, 12:32 PM
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by IknowURider
First, let me say this: If you are 5 foot 11 to 6 foot 2, Your chances of finding a 58 CM (23") steel frame on Craigslist these days, regardless of price, are getting pretty slim. I've only been seeing tall bikes and short bikes lately. During the start of the gas crunch they were out there for $125.00

High flanged hubs are beautiful.
OP, first of all, please accept my apology for MY curmudgeonly response. My Google advice still holds though.

I'd add that is you're approaching 6'2" that 60-61cm frames work too. I'm 6' even and ride 59-61. The classic setup for a horizontal top tube, steel lugged bike is a fist plus a little seatpost showing and bars even with or just slightly below the saddle. Look at catalogs..."way back when" people rode larger frames.

Oh, and to your high flange comment....like these??

Originally Posted by wrk101
I guess everything is local, almost half the road bikes I find are 23 inch, I find them all of the time. Found two last week. Note, found to me = at a flippable price. If I was willing to pay full market, then I would have found a lot more. I also sold two 23 inch frame road bikes in the last week.

I am size agnostic. I will pick up any size road bike if it is decent and the price is attractive. Given a choice, the smaller the better, as the market responds best to small bikes.

Sold a nice 1977 23 inch Nishiki International yesterday.

Beautiful International there, wow. Can I ask what you sold it for (just curious)?

EDIT: Wow, I didn't see the Falcon...beauty!!
Old 09-28-11, 12:38 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Panasonic's predecessor

This is the Raliegh Record that organ-donored the parts for the "Sonic". I cried when it died.

Total Hi- Ten so called "Crap" frame. Out of my stable of ten, this was the bike to endure the "war zones" of Hartford. Soon the SuperCourse will be carry the British torch. (sans the EU bank BS)

I love this picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
squeaky!!.jpg (75.8 KB, 25 views)
Old 09-28-11, 12:47 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh I know about the larger frame thing, I am riding a Motobecane Super Mirage at 62 CM and it's fine. I am actually 5 foot 11". I also rebuild smaller frames as well as larger. I think smaller ones are more popular in the market, though.

Wrk 101 : nice looking bikes, love the Falcon. I never see those here.
Old 09-28-11, 01:08 PM
Wookie Jesus inspires me.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
And as for the comment about toughening up - its just words. Honestly - can you think of anything more powerful? Just ask your young son or daughter what is wrong with them enough times and they will start to believe that there is something wrong with them.
C'mon, we are on the internet talking to people we may never otherwise meet... not talking to our kids in person.
Old 09-28-11, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I dunno if I agree with all of this.

I am young (25) and have been learning from everyone on this forum for several years. In retrospect I appreciate honest opinions and harsh advice I have received from more knowledgable members, even if it was upsetting at the time.

Also, I want nothing to do with low end bikes. Never have even in the beginning. I always hear 'well let's be honest you're not gonna be fast enough for the bike to matter', if you're a motivated young male it won't take that long for you to be in good enough shape to appreciate the difference between a low end 30lb road bike shaped object and a 20lb racing bike. Deals are out there if you're patient and willing to learn so I would never suggest settling for a high ten steel bike with steel rims (unless it's a campus beater or something) after all of the bikes I've bought and flipped over the last few years. Low end bikes are less durable, much harder to resell for profit, and significantly less fun to ride IMO. I also strongly disagree with 1.) buying cheap tires and 2.) not investing in a good saddle (it is an investment).

Another piece of advice I hate is 'figure out hw to fit yourself'. Give me a freaking break. No new cyclist is going to have a clue how a bike is supposed to fit and feel. I agree that fit is extremely important but in regards to the original poster I think it's a bit absurd to say a comment like that offhand then show a picture of a bike that doesn't appear to be fit properly. One piece of good advice is that if you're an REI member ($20 one time fee iirc) they will FIT YOU FOR FREE AS MANY TIMES AS YOU WANT.

Lastly I disagree about ~58cm frames being hard to find. Seems to me that whenever I don't have extra money there are countless awesome 58cm bikes for sale. In fact, the other day I had to turn down a 531 framed trek 560 with the cast lugs and full 105 components for $200 because I need to buy expensive textbooks.

Anyhow there you have it, I've been the noob before and this is what I think.
Old 09-28-11, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mazdaspeed
I dunno if I agree with all of this.

I am young (25) and have been learning from everyone on this forum for several years. In retrospect I appreciate honest opinions and harsh advice I have received from more knowledgable members, even if it was upsetting at the time.

Also, I want nothing to do with low end bikes. Never have even in the beginning. I always hear 'well let's be honest you're not gonna be fast enough for the bike to matter', if you're a motivated young male it won't take that long for you to be in good enough shape to appreciate the difference between a low end 30lb road bike shaped object and a 20lb racing bike. Deals are out there if you're patient and willing to learn so I would never suggest settling for a high ten steel bike with steel rims (unless it's a campus beater or something) after all of the bikes I've bought and flipped over the last few years. Low end bikes are less durable, much harder to resell for profit, and significantly less fun to ride IMO. I also strongly disagree with 1.) buying cheap tires and 2.) not investing in a good saddle (it is an investment).

Another piece of advice I hate is 'figure out hw to fit yourself'. Give me a freaking break. No new cyclist is going to have a clue how a bike is supposed to fit and feel. I agree that fit is extremely important but in regards to the original poster I think it's a bit absurd to say a comment like that offhand then show a picture of a bike that doesn't appear to be fit properly. One piece of good advice is that if you're an REI member ($20 one time fee iirc) they will FIT YOU FOR FREE AS MANY TIMES AS YOU WANT.

Lastly I disagree about ~58cm frames being hard to find. Seems to me that whenever I don't have extra money there are countless awesome 58cm bikes for sale. In fact, the other day I had to turn down a 531 framed trek 560 with the cast lugs and full 105 components for $200 because I need to buy expensive textbooks.

Anyhow there you have it, I've been the noob before and this is what I think.
+1 in a friendly, non-curmudgeonly way.
Old 09-28-11, 02:00 PM
obnoxious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool can sit around now and sing Kumbahyah ?
Old 09-28-11, 02:02 PM

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
Also, I want nothing to do with low end bikes.
Yup, that used to be me too. But I have leaned a thing or two over the years. Some of that high end stuff is pretty high, in my opinion. Some of the nicest rides I have experienced are on lower quality bicycles, including this Dump found Legnano and this found at the same Dump Motebecane Grand Jubilee.

And one of the nicest riding bikes of all that I have owned, and I have owned quite a few very high end vintage mounts, is the Carbolite 103 Peugeot Course, the one made in Canada.

So, I am interested in giving just about anything a try these days. You never know when you will learn something truly valuable, in spite of all the hype.

Of course, that is just my take on the subject.
Old 09-28-11, 02:02 PM
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mazdaspeed
I don't think it's as hard as you think.

General convention says that on the downstroke your knee should be between 15 and 30 degrees bent. This is where I start. Personally, I'm a masher so I'm usually more to the 15 degree end of the range. You should be able to adjust the seatpost/saddle to get into that range. If not, the frame is the wrong size for you.

Past that, reach and drop are really very personal and your body will tell you what's right. You need to take longer rides to do this, > 30 or so miles so. If you can go 30 miles and feel really good you're getting close. If you can't there's something not right. Move around on the bars and get an idea for what you need, more or less drop, more or less reach...you might have to raise or lower a stem, or replace one to fix reach.

Your body gives you the best feedback regardless of what some internet pundit or fit calculator might tell you. Trust it.
Old 09-28-11, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I thought I had my fit figured out. I could ride 50+ miles and feel OK, 30 miles was never a problem. Turns out my saddle was too far back, reach was way too short. Now that I have everything sorted out I'm ridiculously comfortable (all day comfortable with no soreness at all besides my legs) and significantly faster. Sometimes it's hard to know what's really going on. I've taked to a fitter and apparently it's common for people that fit themselves to have too little reach because the correct reach feels bad at first since, as a beginning cyclist, you're not used to using your core and back to hold up your torso, so your back will get really sore for the first week or two of riding a properly fitted bike.

My point is that it's easier said than done and from my (young person's) perspective, the older more experienced riders make fitting sound like an easy process since they are used to it, when in reality it's much easier to just get expert help in person than to screw around for years. There are a lot of people that think their bikes fit them right and they are way off.
Old 09-28-11, 02:41 PM

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
The guy I've used for fitting measures the angle at the knee with your leg extended towards 5:00 on the crank.
it's actually a bit farther to reach than the 6:00 position.
As for what Mazda said, hell I rode a 53/54cm frame for ages until I got on
my 55cm Zieleman and loved it, then found a 56cm was even better, yes more stretched out.
I'm a bit past my frame size in age and still haven't stopped learning.

marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 09-28-11, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
Dave Moulton has some excellent articles on bicycle fit for the other young dudes out there. They helped me fit myself pretty well so far.

https://davesbikeblog.squarespace.com...egory/bike-fit

I will say that vintage frames and bicycles around here are getting harder to find and snapped up much faster than before. A lot of this appears to be flippers and eBay sellers.
Old 09-28-11, 04:04 PM

Bikes: i don't have a bike. a few frames, forks and some parts. that's all

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 33 Posts
youngsters and oldsters: not so idealistically humane division of groups, i guess?
there's slight difference between "newbie vs the seasoned" and "young and old",
and considering them as one thing is a very common mistakenly first step of how to see the focus.

respectively, this is the best place to get together on one love — in whole lot different form of interests — and sometimes the mood gets hostile only because of the perceptive 'division'.

as a newbie, not so a youngster tho, i just love this forum, especially namely C&V. amazing to see the depth and the generosity that i see from you 'experts', being still afraid of asking anything around franken-bike other than strict restoration of a vintage road racer. don't know why, would just feel guilty planning to build a single speedie out of a bianchi rodie...

thanks for threads.
Old 09-28-11, 04:14 PM
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by lostarchitect

Carry the news!
WTH? I must be missing something here.
Old 09-28-11, 04:32 PM
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by photogravity
WTH? I must be missing something here.
Yes, a piece of musical history.
Old 09-28-11, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Interesting input from all quadrants here.
...My advice to newbies:
  • Accept curmudgeonly advice FWIW. (It's often worth a lot.)
  • Ignore all the antipodal advice on fit. (Especially LBS advice.)
  • Don't be dismissive of high-ten bikes (but upgrade asap to alloy wheels.)
  • Resist the urge to repaint. (It robs value.)
  • Educate yourself,then when you see a good deal, pounce on it!
  • Your grease is likely as vintage as your bike, so service your hubs and bb before you destroy them.
  • Always ride on good rubber.
  • Read Sheldon Brown, My Ten Speeds, and Park Tool's repair help.
  • Hang out here.
Old 09-28-11, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
and...

take the bad with the good. There's both here, as everywhere in life. Absorb what you want. Flush the rest.
Old 09-28-11, 05:10 PM
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
listen, just read what you read here, take it all with a grain of salt, then go learn on your own. make your own mistakes and form your own beliefs. come back when you have a specific question , get 10 different answers and figure out which one works for you. over time you'll learn if you do this enough and then eventually you'll be the old, grouchy, ******* answering the questions.

Old 09-28-11, 06:10 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lotek
you do realize that "the fork's bent" is also something said playfully around here?

Look, a lot of us have done it already, and if our collective wisdom and crankiness
can save you some time and money why not listen?
putting Campy super record on a varsity? not really a fiscally smart move.
If you go and read the archives you'll see that one of the more beloved
bikes here is the Peugeot UO8, not anyone's idea of a high end bike.
Y'all should be glad that Pokey, D*Alex and especially sydney aren't
here to post, they pulled no punches and were at times brutally
honest.

+1. I have flipped two of these at 23" because they don't fit. But Sometime, I'll try a 62 CM and see what happens. There's something about the UO-8 that draws you in, can't explain. And they are everywhere, crying out "set me free!" (the recipients have reported good results)
Old 09-28-11, 06:17 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Anonymoose
+1 in a friendly, non-curmudgeonly way.
+2 in a friendly way as well. If you haul azz like you say and are so dedicated, and have the miles to log, then go for it. I am a college grad as well, been there...
Old 09-28-11, 06:17 PM
No Money and No Sense

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SaabSport
Oh, and pointing out that "this bike is probably an entry level/low-end bike..". What's up with that? just trying to make us new guys feel bad about our acquisitions?
Mostly this is to keep people new to collecting from spending way too much on a completely average bike. There are plenty of people who know nothing about bikes selling them and thinking because the name is either unheard of or very common it's worth a LOT of money. This seems to have gotten worse now that people have seen American Pickers and claim the "picker" title thinking anything they sell was built by Space Jesus and hand delivered by James Bond. Look at the "It came from eBay/Craigslist" post sometime.
Old 09-28-11, 06:24 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Dave Moulton has some excellent articles on bicycle fit for the other young dudes out there. They helped me fit myself pretty well so far.

https://davesbikeblog.squarespace.com...egory/bike-fit

I will say that vintage frames and bicycles around here are getting harder to find and snapped up much faster than before. A lot of this appears to be flippers and eBay sellers.
Dave Moulton is GOD. Best blogger on the 'net. I totally want a Fuso.

The funniest thing though, is he is a vintage racer still trying to figure out how to ride in traffic and on Charleston Bike paths. And he contributes to advocacy, something that a lot of drop-bar heads don't bother with. Kudos that.

I assume you know his childhood issues as well. Hardcore, but he is a survivor. It cracks me up though, just a little sometimes. In retirement the dude buys a frame he built himself off ebay. Precious!

Last edited by IknowURider; 09-28-11 at 06:39 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.