Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Purpose of shorts chamois

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Purpose of shorts chamois

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-14, 07:33 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Wow. Well, if that works for you, that's great. I'm a middle aged guy in cotton. I've tried shorts with a chamois and haven't found one that works for me. It has nothing to do with the distance; I regularly ride 100+ miles in 'street clothes' with cotton briefs.
Old 10-03-14, 07:59 AM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Sweat absorption was the original purpose.
This is incorrect.

Originally Posted by JanMM
To clarify for the youngsters......"chamois" used to be chamois leather but as the leather got replaced by synthetic materials in bike shorts the chamois name stuck, which of course is a perversion of language but what can you do?
Chamois leather - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Chamois was NEVER used in single layer(s). Which is the way Chamois was/is used for water/sweat absorption.

The Chamois was originally... and is still used to prevent blisters. It doesn't matter whether you're rubbing your underwear clad gym short wearing bottom across a saddle.... or whether you're wearing gloves to protect your hands from hard labor... the soft chamois leather works perfectly as it sticks to (by soaking up the sweat) the skin. The layers of soft leather originally used in cycling shorts isolated the movement between the saddle and the skin in the loosely stitched layers of sheep skin (chamois).

Think about it for a second. New cyclist don't complain about their bottoms sweating. They complain about getting the skin rubbed off the tender areas. Or if they're lucky about getting a sore bum.
Old 10-03-14, 08:18 AM

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
...Or it is 40C and 95% humidity with a 27C dewpoint
i live and ride in a drained swamp, those are typical summer conditions for me.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 10-03-14, 08:21 AM

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Wow. Well, if that works for you, that's great. I'm a middle aged guy in cotton. I've tried shorts with a chamois and haven't found one that works for me. It has nothing to do with the distance; I regularly ride 100+ miles in 'street clothes' with cotton briefs.
I've never found cycling shorts that work for me either. My biggest complaint is the tight fit, as such I can't just stand up and air out, and MTB shorts go too far in the other direction being too baggy.

I find that cotton blend hiking shorts work very well, and my work uniform shorts are fairly good too.
Old 10-03-14, 08:22 AM

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
As a cotton producer and merchant, I salute you, but your butt is far, far, far tougher than mine if you can ride a centuries in your tighty whiteys.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 10-03-14, 08:32 AM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
This is incorrect.
"...to wick away sweat to prevent chafing" would probably be a better way to write what I said. The skin gets sore more easily when it's wet. That sound better?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-03-14, 08:49 AM

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
"...to wick away sweat to prevent chafing" would probably be a better way to write what I said. The skin gets sore more easily when it's wet. That sound better?
I think you're missing Dave's point. Chamois in the shorts is like leather work gloves; the chamois takes the rubbing and wear so your skin doesn't have to.
Old 10-03-14, 08:52 AM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

I wish I could find my source story. As I remember it... during an early race a cyclist got a blister (from the movement/abrasion) his promoter hand stitched a few layers of the soft sheep skin together to isolate the friction between the layers.

To this day.... that is all we need. Any movement between the saddle and the skin needs to be isolated somewhere in-between... or else we get a blister.

Sweat... padding... all that stuff are just extra. Don't get me wrong... they're nice extras! But it's the blisters that are ride/race stoppers.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 10-03-14 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-03-14, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I wish I could find my source story. As I remember it... during an early race a cyclist got a blister (from the movement/abrasion) his promoter hand stitched a few layers of the soft sheep skin together to isolate the friction between the layers.

To this day.... that is all we need. Any movement between the saddle and the skin needs to be isolated somewhere in-between... or else we get a blister.

Sweat... padding... all that stuff are just extra. Don't get me wrong... they're nice extras! But it's the blisters that are ride/race stoppers.
This doesn't explain why padding is necessary. A thin layer of skintight lycra would be sufficient to isolate your skin from the saddle, so why all the padding? Nope, it's to disguise your package behind a diaper layer.
Old 10-03-14, 09:12 AM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Originally Posted by pdlamb
I think you're missing Dave's point. Chamois in the shorts is like leather work gloves; the chamois takes the rubbing and wear so your skin doesn't have to.
Interestingly, leather gloves are what I associate my absolute worst hand blisters with.

I guess I don't disagree with Dave's main point -- that it provides a layer that moves with the skin -- but I've always figured that wicking sweat away from the contact surface (keeping it as dry as possible) was the real key. I hardly ever ride in bike shorts anymore, preferring a pair of merino boxer briefs under lightweight gym shorts. The merino undies are amazing at wicking moisture from one point to all surrounding points to evaporate away, and I can ride pretty much indefinitely without fear of sores. I've always attributed it to that.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-03-14, 09:17 AM

+1 That's it.

The whole use of cycling shorts, types of chamois as well as [the use of] lotions and powders can all be very confusing. Many of us can/could ride in underwear and shorts for long fast rides... rarely if ever having a problem. Others... blister or rub a hole in their skin if not moistened with a cream to help the padding stay on their skin.

Some cyclists have issues with chafing and/or saddle sores.... which are different issues altogether. Although any issue in that area could be related to the shorts/chamois/or lack of.
Old 10-03-14, 09:26 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
Well, I learned a few things here. I guess one lesson is that once a need is filled, new purposes can be thought up, and that doesn't mean they are invalid. I do happen to like the wicking action of a chamois, even if it wasn't put in there for that.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-03-14, 09:32 AM

........... I've always figured that wicking sweat away from the contact surface (keeping it as dry as possible) was the real key. I hardly ever ride in bike shorts anymore, preferring a pair of merino boxer briefs under lightweight gym shorts. The merino undies are amazing at wicking moisture from one point to all surrounding points to evaporate away, and I can ride pretty much indefinitely without fear of sores.
I am sure your wool shorts work well for you (and there is no reason they shouldn't) but not for the reasons you think.

Wool is a great insulator. The fibers kink well together and stagnate want is in the fibers. It can we dry air or even water... it will stagnate it to body temperature and become completely saturated. Only because of saturation does wool migrate the moisture. Because the moisture absorption and insulation to body temperature it will feel dry/comfortable. It will also stay close to your skin as does/would the sheep skin (chamois).

Once our tender areas become accustomed to the rigors of cycling blisters aren't all that common. Saddle sores.... often confused with blisters aren't the same thing at all. A saddle sore is more like a painful butt pimple.
Old 10-03-14, 09:37 AM

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
"Proper running socks" are built the same way, double layers so that one layer "sticks" to your foot (the heel is the worst place for chafing/blisters), the other layer "sticks" to the shoe and they rub against each other.
Old 10-03-14, 09:42 AM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Some cyclists have issues with chafing and/or saddle sores.... which are different issues altogether. Although any issue in that area could be related to the shorts/chamois/or lack of.
I've suffered more this year than any previous year (why? I don't know) with chafing and have needed chamois creme on more than one occassion to relieve the situation. I presume that the chamois creme enables my skin to glide without rubbing on either the chamois of the shorts or against other skin.

Unfortunately, with 6 pr of shorts from 4 different manufacturers, none, this summer, were better than any other at preventing chafing.
Old 10-03-14, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by alan s
This doesn't explain why padding is necessary. A thin layer of skintight lycra would be sufficient to isolate your skin from the saddle, so why all the padding? Nope, it's to disguise your package behind a diaper layer.
No.... even a single layer of asbestos wouldn't isolate your skin from the friction of rubbing against the saddle. A few loose layers.... with one somewhat sticking to the skin is what does the job well. I think the "padding" comes form manufactures out doing each other.

But.... I've yet to see even ONE chamois/tights that would successfully disguise MY package. Glad to hear you get good results with that though.
Old 10-03-14, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by jrickards
I've suffered more this year than any previous year (why? I don't know) with chafing and have needed chamois creme on more than one occassion to relieve the situation.......
I have a bit of background in garment technology... but not so much knowledge with medical issues. But I also have to deal with a tendency to chafe (even without cycling). I use a hair dryer. Not on my head/hair... I am bald there... but hairy as an ape other places.

I take a few minutes to eat and drink (and stop sweating) after my rides before hitting the shower. Then I dry completely after I've scrubbed clean.... even using the hair dryer.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 10-03-14 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-03-14, 09:58 AM

No.... even a single layer of asbestos wouldn't isolate your skin from the friction of rubbing against the saddle.
That could explain the chafing problems!
Old 10-03-14, 10:12 AM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I have a bit of background in garment technology... but not so much knowledge with medical issues. But I also have to deal with a tendency to chafe (even without cycling). I use a hair dryer. Not on my head/hair... I am bald there... but hairy as an ape other places.
Bald too but unlike you, limited hair elsewhere. I don't chafe at any other times other than when on the bike but not for short (<1hr) rides, generally only for longer rides (3.5hrs to the cottage for example).

I take a few minutes to eat and drink (and stop sweating) after my rides before hitting the shower. Then I dry completely after I've scrubbed clean.... even using the hair dryer.
I'm unclear as to why being completely dry after a ride prevents chafing for the next ride. I may only do a quick towel dry after my morning shower (post-bike commute) but by the time I'm ready to put on my kit for the afternoon's ride home, I'm dry for the next ride unless you think that putting on a powder (baby or Gold Bond or similar) might be necessary to keep my crotch "dry as a bone" (no pun intended, ok, maybe a bit of a pun).
Old 10-03-14, 10:19 AM

........ unless you think that putting on a powder (baby or Gold Bond or similar) might be necessary to keep my crotch "dry as a bone" (no pun intended, ok, maybe a bit of a pun).
I used to use powder. Certain products such as baby powder, or antiperspirant may help with keeping the problem areas dry. Wikipedia.
Old 10-03-14, 10:22 AM

Bikes: Crossrip Elite, Bikesdirect tarck bike custom build

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: the "boys" and chamois -

I've found it does keep everything nice and in place. When you got a nice spin going and one of the berries gets pinched between your leg and the saddle... oof.
Old 10-03-14, 10:37 AM
working on my sandal tan

I've suffered more this year than any previous year (why? I don't know) with chafing and have needed chamois creme on more than one occassion to relieve the situation. I presume that the chamois creme enables my skin to glide without rubbing on either the chamois of the shorts or against other skin.

Unfortunately, with 6 pr of shorts from 4 different manufacturers, none, this summer, were better than any other at preventing chafing.
Any chance that your saddle is too high? That can cause you to slide back and forth across the saddle when pedalling.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-03-14, 10:38 AM
working on my sandal tan

But.... I've yet to see even ONE chamois/tights that would successfully disguise MY package. Glad to hear you get good results with that though.
Zing!
RUSA #7498
Old 10-03-14, 11:47 AM

Zing!
Just a little humor injected.... for fun.
Old 10-03-14, 11:53 AM

Just a little humor injected.... for fun.
Felt kinda sorry for you actually (all that binding and chafing going on down there). Glad to hear it's not true!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.