Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

clipless pedals & potential loss of life

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

clipless pedals & potential loss of life

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-07, 02:04 AM
LF for the accentdeprived

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by charles vail
long rambling
If you doubt the extra oomph from clipless, drop your bike into the biggest gear and try to climb a moderate hill. Then try the same hill with your feet attached.
With all that climbing, I'm 100% certain that no pro rider would ever willingly ride a single mile in a race with un-attached feet. I'm pretty sure none of them would take an offer to ride a 15 mile mountain time trial with platforms and get 3 miuntes time compensation. They'd lose way more time...

Of course if you're not performance-minded, the argument for clipless is weaker. BTW, for a rider who has coordination, clipless gives waaaaay faster acceleration from a standstill. Bot to mention from a trackstand
Old 01-16-07, 03:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
According to a noted author ( Arnie Baker, Bicycling Medicine) and USCF coach, practicing physician who coached riders to more than 50 U.S. Championships and dozens of U.S. records not to mention his being a frequent contributor to Bicycling magazine and finally a medical consultant to USA cycling and the USCF. I think I trust his findings more than anyone on this board. Oh....and this author is a CAt 1 racer a five time national champion and five time United States record holder. I have read his book and others regarding training and pedaling technique etc. and agree with him on his opinions regarding pedaling efficiency and what really happens when riders have been tested with force meters while pedaling in a lab setting. The fact that racers use clip in pedals has little to do with there usefullness to a commuter riding to work in his business attire. The original poster asked about the safety of clip in pedals if my memory is correct. Either way the actual rather than imagined performance advantages of pulling up on the pedals is overrated and has been shown to have little benefit to performance. The use of clip in pedals for the large majority of cyclers is more of a benefit to manufacturers than cyclists.
I don't doubt that you are quoting accurately. HOWEVER. There is one phrase in your quote that really jumps out at me "lab setting". Measurements in lab settings often do not translate to real world situations.
The only way to resolve this would be to take a large number of riders, have them ride a course with clipless, then without, in identical weather conditions.

Until that has been done, I note that the US cycling team seem to ride on bikes with clipless pedals, so maybe the rest of the coaches still believe in clipless. . . .
Old 01-16-07, 07:20 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Well......it certainly appears that nobody read the part in Arnie Bakers book about optimal pedal stroke and the fact that the pulling forces once thought to be significant have now been shown to be much less than formerly believed. What separates pro cyclists from the rest of us is, their greater downward forces rather than their upward pull or "full circle spin". If you carefully and in an unbiased way analize the upward pull idea etc. you'll find it amounts to very little in terms of performance. Foot retention is another story all together and that has been shown to be helpfull in certain circumstances and detrimental in others. Fast spinning of the pedals, rather than mashing, is a better way to pedal to a point and everyone has their own cadence. Suffice it to say, some foot retention is neccessary and I use either powergrips or looser toe clips and straps most of the time. The foot slipping off thing happens in wet weather or bumpy sections when you are not paying attention but the simpler power grip or toe clip/strap works as well as any mechanical clip, IMHO. Falling, on the other hand, is common when using clip ins, for many riders, usually when the clip is jammed, worn, full of road grit, frozen or inadeqately lubed not to mention mis-adjusted.
I know of a recent case where a cyclist had his cleat come off entirely and he crashed, severely injuring himself when he expected to have solid retention the cleat came off unexpectedly and since he was used to depending on it, he didn't have his foot planted in the same way you would when riding without clips.

All the special shoes/pedals and clip maintainance just seems like another gimick to sell more gear to me and I have used clips and shoes so I am not without actual experience. A grippy pedal shoe pedal combo won't result in foot slip unless you are trying to use hard slick shoes on small slippery pedals like when you try to ride your tiny clip pedals with your slippery dress shoes, two blocks to your buddies house. What I am talking about is maybe a pair of skateboader shoes and "beartrap" style pedal either with or without toeclips and looser fitting straps. This combo is both simple and practical and allows adequate foot retention for wet weather or bumpy roads, allows zero maintainance and quicker easier exit once they are set up. In addition you get to save all that money buying special shoes and you don't have to carry "extra" shoes in case you are forced to walk or look decent for work. Its really liberating riding without clipins with a proper cadence (not mashing) and being able to avoid all the added mumbo jumbo of doing it the other way! ......sorry guys, I remain strong in my beliefs!!!!
I thought like you did for about 40 some years until I finally started using clipless. Now I read what you wrote above and all I can say is HORSEPUCKY!
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 01-16-07, 09:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I switched to clipless this summer. I fell a couple of times during the first few days after going clipless. I was pretty well prepared for it after reading countless forum threads about the inevitable fall, but I still did it. I landed on my arm after unclipping one foot and then slowly rolling to the other side.

However, the problem is that I occasionaly fall even now, after I have used the pedals for a while. I have never repeated the mistake about unclipping the wrong foot, though. Most of my falls were because I was riding in a very technical singletrack, and my front wheel became trapped, and I did not have enough time to remove my foot, and regain balance. In one occasion this happened while I was trying to ride up a very steep hill, with quite deep slope on both sides of the path. So, my front wheel hit a large tree, my motion stoped, and I came down on my side. I somehow managed not to roll off the path. Also, when there was snow for a couple of days, I managed to get my front wheel stuck on that white stuff, and promptly landed on my side as well.

What I wanted to tell with the story - clipless certainly can come down to "potential loss of life" if you happen to do the wrong thing in the wrong time and place.
Old 01-16-07, 09:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jwc
I agree with Mr. Vail. I only encounter the slipping foot syndrome with slick pedals on the vintage '79 Raleigh Roadster. I have toe clips for my road and commuter bikes, but haven't installed them because there just hasn't been a need. I have ridden club rides in the past, the only rider without clipless, with no problems keeping the pace.
i've had the slipping foot syndrome recently. I was riding on the roads with my MKS Touring light platform pedal. I was wearing fairly new sneakers. It wasn't raining, but the ground was damp. I found my foot was slipping frequently and had to be mindful of it during the ride
Old 01-16-07, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Everything has a potential for loss of life. Albeit small to almost nonexistent for items like sitting at a desk but it still exists.
I say try them out. If you do not like them switch back. Personally, I love my clipless pedals and call BS to anyone who says that the performance improvements are negligible.
But whatever... no skin off my back. Opinions are just that...opinions.
Old 01-16-07, 10:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blackDoggy
Also, when there was snow for a couple of days, I managed to get my front wheel stuck on that white stuff, and promptly landed on my side as well.

What I wanted to tell with the story - clipless certainly can come down to "potential loss of life" if you happen to do the wrong thing in the wrong time and place.
This is what I'm discovering. I love riding clipless, but when conditions offer the possibility of sudden unexpected stops (e.g., unseen ruts under fresh snow) or severely compromised balance, I would much rather ride on platforms or very loose toeclips.

What a strange winter we've had so far. Today is my first day of a combination of bitter cold and snow covered (but plowed) roads; I've been waiting months for this. I'm putting on layers as I type....
Old 01-16-07, 10:13 AM
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When the roads are treacherous is when I like the 2 sided pedal. Spd on one side, platform on the other.
Old 01-16-07, 10:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to try clipless and am expecting my shoes to come in today as a matter of fact. I still don't have pedals.

Should I go with the 1/2 combo: 1 side platform 1 side clipless
or get the MTB pedal (ex. SPD-647)

how do they feel with regular shoes?
Old 01-16-07, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I have the book that Mr. Vail is referring to. I have also ridden with toe clips, clipless pedals, and plain pedals pretty extensively.

I have read that pulling up on your pedals is biomechanically inefficient, potentially harmful (indeed, it hurts MY knees) and could sabotage maximum performance by focusing too much on a part of the pedal stroke that simply isn't very effective and ignoring the part that is. There is simply NO WAY to pedal in an even circle, with the same force on the pedals all the way through, without dramatically reducing the force you put on the pedals in the downstroke. The important part of the pedal stroke is the push-down and the pull-through at the bottom ("like scraping mud off the bottom of your shoe"). The one-legged pedaling drills and upstroke-only exercises recommended by some "training experts" are probably worse than useless and a good way to hurt yourself.

Eh, what I'm getting at is that monsieur vail is closer to correct than probably most of us would want to think. For commuting purposes, he is dead on the money, I think. I've been riding to school without toe clips or clipless pedals for the last several months now. The difference is negligible. I do gain some performance with clipless pedals, yes, but nothing huge. For commuting over short distances, it's really not worth it. For a longer ride, it might be worth it, but for the average commuter it's really just a matter of personal taste. We're just getting to work, right? Performance is overrated.
Old 01-16-07, 11:12 AM
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by seriouslysilly
how do they feel with regular shoes?
If they have clips on both sides, regular shoes don't work so well.
Old 01-16-07, 11:16 AM

Bikes: Specalized Tri-Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My LBS told me not to bother with clipless because I ride a hybrid for the commute. Any one have an opinion on if they are full of it or actually giving decent advice?
Old 01-16-07, 11:19 AM
cyclepath

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by squegeeboo
My LBS told me not to bother with clipless because I ride a hybrid for the commute. Any one have an opinion on if they are full of it or actually giving decent advice?
That's a bunch of bull.
Old 01-16-07, 11:25 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My old bike was a hybrid and I rode clipless on it. Clipless did help a bit.
Old 01-16-07, 11:40 AM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I'm riding clipless on a hybrid. I think it depends on your riding style. As others have said, if you like to stand and mash and really beat it up hills, you'll benefit from clipless.

Personally, when I hit a hill I just downshift and spin faster. I haven't stood up out of the saddle in years. I'm not racing, I'm just going to work and back. I don't really care if I'm clipless or not. Clipless is kind of nice, but I don't consider it essential.

I did discover one clipless benefit this morning. It was 5*F, and when I got to work the power was out so I turned around and rode home. My toes were getting really cold, and it helped to warm them up by pulling upwards, forwards, backwards, etc to try to increase the circulation in my toes.

Actually after this morning, I'm seriously thinking about ordering up some powergrips and starting to wear my insulated waffle stompers when it gets < 20*F.
Old 01-16-07, 11:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
zowie

Originally Posted by grolby
I have the book that Mr. Vail is referring to. I have also ridden with toe clips, clipless pedals, and plain pedals pretty extensively.

I have read that pulling up on your pedals is biomechanically inefficient, potentially harmful (indeed, it hurts MY knees) and could sabotage maximum performance by focusing too much on a part of the pedal stroke that simply isn't very effective and ignoring the part that is. There is simply NO WAY to pedal in an even circle, with the same force on the pedals all the way through, without dramatically reducing the force you put on the pedals in the downstroke. The important part of the pedal stroke is the push-down and the pull-through at the bottom ("like scraping mud off the bottom of your shoe"). The one-legged pedaling drills and upstroke-only exercises recommended by some "training experts" are probably worse than useless and a good way to hurt yourself.

Eh, what I'm getting at is that monsieur vail is closer to correct than probably most of us would want to think. For commuting purposes, he is dead on the money, I think. I've been riding to school without toe clips or clipless pedals for the last several months now. The difference is negligible. I do gain some performance with clipless pedals, yes, but nothing huge. For commuting over short distances, it's really not worth it. For a longer ride, it might be worth it, but for the average commuter it's really just a matter of personal taste. We're just getting to work, right? Performance is overrated.
Thank you!!!!!!........Finally a sensible response that I can agree with and very eloquently and simply put, I might add!
I've never said that there are no improvements to riding attached but they seem to be negligable and mostly in our heads as far as a commuter would be concerned. For a racer if it resulted in a few seconds or even a few tenths of a second gain then yes, it is worth it. I supect however that many racers have to remind themselves to pull up and probably don't do that too often but instead practice the dog $()|^ srape technique described above. The only time I unweight my pedal stroke deliberately is when I want to give my quads and glutes a little break but I am not under the delusion that I am increasing my performance much by pulling on the upstroke, plus I don't think its possible to maintain that technique for any length of time either, without interfearing with the real performance muscles.

Last edited by charles vail; 01-16-07 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-16-07, 11:53 AM

Bikes: Fuji, Specialized, Cannondale, Columbia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It just doesn't feel right to me without clipless pedals on any rig I ride. I've used ATAC's and have gone to Frogs now. If you feel uncomfortable on approaching a stop etc. unclip sooner. I never have had a problem. I use them on both my MTB and hybrid. The shoes look more normal and are easier to walk in. As far as what anyones else says they aren't riding your bike...you are. If it works for you go with it.
Old 01-16-07, 11:56 AM
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How could making your stroke more efficient be considered negligible? Finally one person to agree with you out of almost 100 posts. Based on that, your theory does not compute. I'll see his few months going to school and raise with over twenty years of daily riding and real world data. To not feel the difference means you simply aren't doing it right. This, despite what your author says. Performance is overrated? I suppose it depends on how you quantify performance, during a commute. Top speed, cadence, left/right balance, front/back muscle usage, uneven wear of parts? You sir, are grasping at straws.
Old 01-16-07, 11:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
waffle stompers

Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I'm riding clipless on a hybrid. I think it depends on your riding style. As others have said, if you like to stand and mash and really beat it up hills, you'll benefit from clipless.

Personally, when I hit a hill I just downshift and spin faster. I haven't stood up out of the saddle in years. I'm not racing, I'm just going to work and back. I don't really care if I'm clipless or not. Clipless is kind of nice, but I don't consider it essential.

I did discover one clipless benefit this morning. It was 5*F, and when I got to work the power was out so I turned around and rode home. My toes were getting really cold, and it helped to warm them up by pulling upwards, forwards, backwards, etc to try to increase the circulation in my toes.

Actually after this morning, I'm seriously thinking about ordering up some powergrips and starting to wear my insulated waffle stompers when it gets < 20*F.
Precisely my point that one could use any shoe combo that the weather required without purchasing special "riding booties" but instead using what we already have and some simple platform pedals with studs to grip our shoes, boots, sandals etc. For a commuter that is!
Old 01-16-07, 12:08 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Precisely my point that one could use any shoe combo that the weather required without purchasing special "riding booties" but instead using what we already have and some simple platform pedals with studs to grip our shoes, boots, sandals etc. For a commuter that is!
I still say horsepucky. What works for you is fine, but don't presume that it works for everyone. I spent less on my 'riding booties' that you do on a normal pair of shoes...not to mention that I can walk in them fine and I wear them all day at work. I spent a lot of years riding with clips n straps, platforms and platforms with power grips, and I like clipless better than them all. Deal with it and quit trying to dismiss my viewpoint like I am some newbie racer boy. If you don't like clipless, great, if you do, great. Just like helmets, gloves, jersies, padded diapers and everything else, it's a personal choice.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 01-16-07, 12:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
straws

Originally Posted by TRaffic Jammer
How could making your stroke more efficient be considered negligible? Finally one person to agree with you out of almost 100 posts. Based on that, your theory does not compute. I'll see his few months going to school and raise with over twenty years of daily riding and real world data. To not feel the difference means you simply aren't doing it right. This, despite what your author says. Performance is overrated? I suppose it depends on how you quantify performance, during a commute. Top speed, cadence, left/right balance, front/back muscle usage, uneven wear of parts? You sir, are grasping at straws.
No, I am simply stating that for the average commuter the use of clip in pedals is not worth the inconvenience, expense, or the sometimes awkwardness/safety of using them in traffic.

In addition, I am saying that the pulling up on the pedal stroke has negligable benefits and any benefit that does exist may be cancelled out by the reduction of force put on the opposing pedal if one is consiously pulling up on the opposing leg. My one supporter sees what I am trying to convey, in that, the downstroke and subsequent swipe of the foot, as if wiping mud off your shoe is where the real power is generated, meanwhile the unweighting of the opposing leg simply amplifies the effect of the downstoke rather than adding to the overall power out put. This is a very difficult thing for me to desribe but I think most of you understand it because you do it naturally when you pedal and I am sure you all pedal alot.

What I am also saying is that I don't see the need for locked in foot retention for most of my riding epecially after seeing several falls by others and myself because of their use. On a long ride in the country, without heavy traffic or obstacles, I might use them again, if I have enough "float" to allow my left knee some room to move naturally. But then I'd have to spend $200 on the only shoe (Sidi Mega) that fits me correctly and then of course I'd have to carry extra shoes if I had a mechanical failure or needed to walk for any length of time for any reason.
Old 01-16-07, 12:22 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What is an average commuter? Is this the shorter distance urban utility cyclist?
My commute is 28 miles each way with long distances that I stay clipped in. Do they benefit me? Heck yes. I have ridden with both platforms and clipless. Hands down clipless beats platforms. I have recorded speed differences in excess of 3 mph between the two.

I think the issue relates to the generalization that all commuters do not reap the benefits of clipless pedals. That is simply incorrect.
Old 01-16-07, 12:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my point

Originally Posted by chipcom
I still say horsepucky. What works for you is fine, but don't presume that it works for everyone. I spent less on my 'riding booties' that you do on a normal pair of shoes...not to mention that I can walk in them fine and I wear them all day at work. I spent a lot of years riding with clips n straps, platforms and platforms with power grips, and I like clipless better than them all. Deal with it and quit trying to dismiss my viewpoint like I am some newbie racer boy. If you don't like clipless, great, if you do, great. Just like helmets, gloves, jersies, padded diapers and everything else, it's a personal choice.
I am sorry if I come across as dismissing your point, I don't mean to do that, I am just trying to get my point across in a convincing way and it is difficult, being that I am not the most eloquent communicator.
I certainly do not believe you are a newbie racer, as you stated but instead a serious rider with many years of trial and error experience and I believe you have found a combination of gear that you are comfortable with and works for your riding style, on your terrain and with your unique abilities. I think the original poster had a question regarding the relative safety issues of using them when commuting. Given the average riders abilities and the danger associated with riding in city traffic, I didn't think it advisable to use clip in pedals, especially since I had seen so many fall overs, including my own and I don't believe the use of them would make much difference on the averge commute from both a practical, financial and performance standpoint. In addition, I have been doing some reading in various training books about optimum pedaling efficiency and proper pedaling technique and thought I might convey these ideas to the board for discussion since they make sense to me in my personal experience of riding these past 42 or so years.
Old 01-16-07, 12:37 PM
hello

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 58 Posts
If you can learn to ride clipless pedals on your mountain bike on some technical singletrack then you won't have any problems using clipless anywhere.
Old 01-16-07, 01:00 PM
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clipless in traffic = get up and go

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.