Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What Musical Instruments do the C & V Folks Play?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What Musical Instruments do the C & V Folks Play?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-18, 10:53 PM

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Nevada City, ‘92 Merlin Titanium, '84 Torpado Super Strada, ‘84 Schwinn Tempo, '81 Bianchi Limites, '73 Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 41 Posts
Well, I USED to play bass guitar. Haven’t for about 4 years and sold off all my basses to buy bike stuff. Bass has ALWAYS been my favorite instrument.
Old 08-07-18, 10:57 PM

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
Vintage Rockhopper turned tourer. Maybe a Bridgestone RB-T come tommorrow, if the seller calls me back. Drums and ukulele. Multiple bands........

Old 08-08-18, 03:36 AM

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
Drums. A lot.
Old 08-08-18, 03:42 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Guitar, bass (aka "bull fiddle"), and harmonica.
Old 08-08-18, 05:16 AM
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked 1,651 Times in 949 Posts
Drums, still hanging on the my C&V '67 Ludwig snare cause it was my 1st in Jr. High band....but like Robbie & TX-DJ I specialize in playing the stereo these days

Old 08-08-18, 05:58 AM
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 2609 Post(s)
Liked 1,708 Times in 938 Posts
I guess I play the rock and roll bass guitar most regularly these days.

I used to fancy myself as a semi professional musician, local indie-rock superstar and bar-star. Now I’m just that guy in that one Rolling Stones cover band.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 08-08-18, 06:51 AM
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I'm a bit of an old-school curmudgeon, but I no longer have "satin" gear, just the "newer" black gear:
Separate R&L amps
Control Amp
Tuner
Wollensack 8-track deck
Dokorder reel-reel
Cassette deck
dbx 3bx, 200, and 224
Eq with pink noise
SAE's LP noise impact restorer
Powered sub + satellites (AR all)
Rotel turntable (MC)
CD (though I gave them all to my son)
Blackfin streaming gizmo
I run my TV through it, sounds good enough.
That's my living room.

I slum it in the office.
Integrated amp (yeah, I'm a sellout in that regard)
Cassette deck
8-track deck (the Craig recording version)
dbx 3bx and 200
CD player

I don't do remote on my audio. I walk over there and use it. My turntable is full manual. Gotta pay attention. I limit myself to 1 beer while playing music. Recording is still a blast, be it on cassette, 8-track, or reel. Yes, I have blank 8-tracks, plenty of cassettes, and only about 4 empty reels.
When I was a kid, I got the sweet stereo I dreamed about- the best I wanted in 1989 technology.

Somewhere around 8 years later I was amazed at how much nicer a friend’s stereo sounded- he had a 70s Sansui. So I sold my Yamaha integrated amp and got a Sansui 9090DB. I hated that amp. The one I had, had problems with one side of the stereo, and it was not as clean as my Yamaha. i sold that, lost my azz, and got a relatively expensive surround sound unit. It was “good” but by the time I met my wife, the “stereo” stuff had taken a backseat.

Somewhere around 8 years later, I was doing a job for a guy and he gave me an early/mid 70s Pioneer SX838. EVERYTHING sounded so much better than tha surround unit- I know I don’t have really good ears- but this was a big difference.

I think I’ve figured out that I like that warm 70s stereo sound. I prefer a bright, immediate solid state bass amp, I like 80s production, but I like that stuff through a warm early 70s amp. Go figure.

I went from fantasizing about the neighbor’s gold, blue lighted Pioneer, to the black plastic powerhouse to blue lighted Sansui to black plastic surround to silver framed, blue lighted Pioneer.

With 60s and 70s speakers.

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.

Last edited by The Golden Boy; 08-08-18 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-08-18, 06:54 AM

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,396 Times in 694 Posts
I learned and forgot how to read music twice, first for clarinet, then for classical guitar. After years of messing around with electric guitars, classical guitars, basses, even ukulele, in the end I am happiest playing steel string acoustics without a plectrum. I largely play my own music, because writing lyrics for a friend was how I got into this. For many years I played lots of solo gigs, as it paid pretty well and I could roll through the repertoire and make sudden changes without worry. The hard-retro trio I fronted in the 80s was fun, though - we did lots of rockabilly, r&b and originals inspired by the same. I'm the one in the air in this pic from June 1987 -

Regarding violin - my 90-year-old father, who is a classically trained musician and a music educator who started playing music in 1939, began with violin before becoming a clarinetist. He studied with a guy named Hayden (sp?) at UNC, and Hayden had studied in Paris with the guys who ran with DeBussy and and St. Saens - anyway, in the last decade or so he's started seriously playing violin again and he enjoys it immensely. He adapts, even with double hearing aids and the need for massive magnification to see and read sheet music.
Old 08-08-18, 09:39 AM

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 284 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcnYN7lLC-Y&t=27s
i am the guy on the left.
Nice.

I'm the guy in the middle. I play occasional symphony trumpet in the Hopkins orchestra, and have been in The Jennifers for 25 years now(!)

Old 08-08-18, 03:15 PM

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Started with the flute in 4th grade. Switched to bassoon in high school and college. Self-
taught bag pipes and soprano sax. So:
Flute
Piccolo
Fife
Bassoon
Soprano sax
Bagpipes
Recorder.
Yes, I play them all.
Jon
Old 08-08-18, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I love my guitars and vintage Italian bicycles. I'll never be particularly good at either riding or playing.. Still, I find both enjoyable.

I think I like collecting most of all.
Old 08-08-18, 04:06 PM

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
1952 Selmer Super Balanced Alto sax. I can barely squeak out "In the Mood", my embouchure is gone.
the chops are the first to go!

Selmer is a nice Ax
Old 08-08-18, 06:48 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,412 Times in 912 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
So I sold my Yamaha integrated amp and got a Sansui 9090DB. I hated that amp. That was one fuzzy muddy receiver, but everyone wanted the 4-channel. I never liked that receiver, and a close friend had one. The only Sansui piece I have is the timer. They made a sweet timer/control center.

Somewhere around 8 years later, I was doing a job for a guy and he gave me an early/mid 70s Pioneer SX838. EVERYTHING sounded so much better than tha surround unit- I know I don’t have really good ears- but this was a big difference.

With 60s and 70s speakers.

I had a Pioneer SX780. That was one sweet, sweet series of receivers, and they were as pretty a piece of equipment as ever been made. Very nice meters, smooth rotary tuning, dampened toggles....now you got me going...I'm a geek on that stuff like bikes....

Shortly after I got out of the service, I was sitting in a bar that was playing jazz music, probably a tape, as CD's had just come out, and few people had one. We couldn't see the speakers or the amp.

Weather Report was playing. I looked across the table and bet the guy $5 that it was a Yamaha amp and JBL speakers, the sound was tight, too tight, but right for a group like WxRpt. He took the bet, and the bartender showed I was right.

Hundreds of hours spent in barracks rooms, recording and playing music on various audio gear, sometimes, you could just tell.

I can't hear as well, now, tinnitus being what it is, but back then, I could tell an AR-1 from a 901, and a Klipsch from a Polk. Nowadays, I'm just happy to hear what I hear.

Now, if someone finds a nice set of Sony SAVA-7's, they are the Ironman of audio, with a limited 6' wingspan and the remote is absolutely necessary. Affordable, outstanding sound quality for the price, and pretty versatile. I believe Crutchfield bought out the last ones, and most of the staff there bought them until few remained.

Married life eliminated things like Altec Theatre Monitors, then dbx Soundfield 1's, and then Polk RT-12C's (sold back to a Polk employee). I"m a sub/satellite guy new, more of necessity than anything. No one wants a speaker the size of a washing machine, much less two.

I don't prefer digital audio, but it works for me. When I captured thousands and thousands of songs on .mp3, I set the sampling rate very high and bent over for extra memory.

Sorry, I digress.

I tried piano, figured if I could type, I could figure out 88 keys. Being tone deaf and never, ever being able to figure out keys, etc did me in. I mean, I can look at the key and play the right notes, but it seemed arbitrary, if that makes sense.

Perhaps someday I'll figure out why the arbitrariness of bikes and components doesn't bother me, but sharps and flats and naturals, well, they did then and do now.
Old 08-08-18, 06:50 PM
Banned.

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,412 Times in 912 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon T
Started with the flute in 4th grade. Switched to bassoon in high school and college. Self-
taught bag pipes and soprano sax. So:
Flute
Piccolo
Fife
Bassoon
Soprano sax
Bagpipes
Recorder.
Yes, I play them all.
Jon
What, no oboe, the devil's reed?
Old 08-08-18, 08:05 PM

Bikes: 1985 Fuji Del Rey, 25" frame, 12 speed

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Lots of talented musicians in this C&V forum...

I am a member of the Shriners Band here in town, where I play 2nd chair trumpet. I have my prized 1967 Holton Collegiate trumpet from when I first started out on trumpet in elementary school. I stayed with trumpet, moved over to french horn in 7th & 8th grade, went back to trumpet, got braces in high school, and that was the end of trumpet, so I went down an octave to euphonium (baritone) and also doubled on trombone. All during my school years, I also played guitar and soon my parents bought me an electric guitar and an amp, and that was the ultimate for me! I soon played guitar more than my band instruments, and got way better on guitar than any other instrument.

Right now, even after all these years, I have friends come over and hear me play guitar to a classic rock song that they asked about, and not only do I know the song, but I can exactly duplicate the rock guitar solo, note-for-note, much to the surprise of my friends. They always say, "Holy crap, man!! Why didn't you try out for band somewhere and get famous?" I just shake my head and reply modestly, "Ahhhh... For every one of ME - there's at least 500 others who can do the same thing, if not better".

Anyway, I have a dedicated music room here in my house (was my daughters bedroom - now an adult, moved away, married, etc...), and I have well over a dozen instruments here! I am also one of those crazy knuckleheads that just has some bizarre ability to just pick up an instrument and play. I don't know what, where, or why, but it's just what I do...

String instruments
2 acoustic guitars (6 string, 12 string)
2 electric guitars (Fender Strat, Gretsch 5122 hollow body w/Bigsby)
1 electric bass
1 mandolin
1 ukulele
1 violin (my grandmother's priceless, heirloom, violin (she was a concert violinist in NYC) and is over 100 years old!)

Brass
1 trumpet
1 cornet
1 trombone

Woodwinds
1 clarinet
1 tenor sax
2 recorders

Piano/Keyboards
1 Yamaha DGX-505, full size, 88-key, electronic MIDI compatible keyboard

Miscellanous
2 harmonicas (one in C, one in G)
1 voice (well, to be honest - the human voice is an instrument! Yes, I actually sing too. It's comical too, because I love loud hard rock 'n roll. I just can't sing it. I'd be a octave below the lead singer, doing some type of goofy deep baritone Johnny Cash voice! I can do beautiful ballads and old 50's crooner type of songs though...
Old 08-08-18, 08:59 PM
Extraordinary Magnitude

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
That was one fuzzy muddy receiver, but everyone wanted the 4-channel. I never liked that receiver, and a close friend had one. The only Sansui piece I have is the timer. They made a sweet timer/control center.

I had a Pioneer SX780. That was one sweet, sweet series of receivers, and they were as pretty a piece of equipment as ever been made. Very nice meters, smooth rotary tuning, dampened toggles....now you got me going...I'm a geek on that stuff like bikes....

Shortly after I got out of the service, I was sitting in a bar that was playing jazz music, probably a tape, as CD's had just come out, and few people had one. We couldn't see the speakers or the amp.

Weather Report was playing. I looked across the table and bet the guy $5 that it was a Yamaha amp and JBL speakers, the sound was tight, too tight, but right for a group like WxRpt. He took the bet, and the bartender showed I was right.

Hundreds of hours spent in barracks rooms, recording and playing music on various audio gear, sometimes, you could just tell.

I can't hear as well, now, tinnitus being what it is, but back then, I could tell an AR-1 from a 901, and a Klipsch from a Polk. Nowadays, I'm just happy to hear what I hear.

Now, if someone finds a nice set of Sony SAVA-7's, they are the Ironman of audio, with a limited 6' wingspan and the remote is absolutely necessary. Affordable, outstanding sound quality for the price, and pretty versatile. I believe Crutchfield bought out the last ones, and most of the staff there bought them until few remained.

Married life eliminated things like Altec Theatre Monitors, then dbx Soundfield 1's, and then Polk RT-12C's (sold back to a Polk employee). I"m a sub/satellite guy new, more of necessity than anything. No one wants a speaker the size of a washing machine, much less two.

I don't prefer digital audio, but it works for me. When I captured thousands and thousands of songs on .mp3, I set the sampling rate very high and bent over for extra memory.

Sorry, I digress.

I tried piano, figured if I could type, I could figure out 88 keys. Being tone deaf and never, ever being able to figure out keys, etc did me in. I mean, I can look at the key and play the right notes, but it seemed arbitrary, if that makes sense.

Perhaps someday I'll figure out why the arbitrariness of bikes and components doesn't bother me, but sharps and flats and naturals, well, they did then and do now.

I think that's an almost universal "service" thing. Barracks stereo comparisons (at most polite) and barracks stereo wars (when it got loud). Again- I got my 1989 stereo out of the AAFES catalog when I was stationed in Panama and had it shipped back to the states. Whenever possible, I ordered the thing that was marked "NOT AVAILABLE IN CONUS." I got the Bose 501s and the Yamaha CD player with the hidden spring loaded door because of some medic on the 3rd floor. I WANTED a Carver/Klipsch setup like my neighbor- to this day- it's still the coolest looking stuff ever- but I've heard the reputation is nowhere near the impression it made on me.

The 9090DB that I had in the mid-90s was a POS- it had issues. After I got the SX838 I ended up with another 9090DB- that one could use some work- but it sounds really nice. I also have a Marantz 2325. That needs work- I've got to get it taken in- one channel of the stereo distorts- but, my goodness is that a BEAUTIFUL piece of work.

I've never had THAT kind of ears- I couldn't tell **** by brand or model. It either sounded good or it didn't. The more solid state "sterility" really works for that low end. That's why my Yamaha integrated amp was so great to me- When I think of the best sounding records- I think the B-52s "Cosmic Thing" record is the best sounding record ever. Also Living Colour's Time's Up. Then again, I've got tin ears.

Here's most of the stereo gear- it's totally configured differently right now- I'll get a shot of that uploaded soon.

Stereo Setup by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

I suppose I should also get a pic of my gear uploaded as well. Right now I have my "A Rig" bass head home- that's usually at the practice studio-

Here's an old pic of the guitars- the red Les Paul is gone...

Old 08-08-18, 09:04 PM
Extraordinary Magnitude

Old 08-08-18, 09:39 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3615 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 1,956 Posts
I don't play an instrument, but my wife (also a cyclist, but not active on this venue) performs in our community Balinese Gamelan ensemble.

https://www.lawrence.edu/conservator...melan/node/377
Old 08-09-18, 06:02 AM

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 381 Posts
Found this. Me and my two sons playing a few years ago. I'm the one in the shadows playing bass while my guitarist son and drummer son are in the limelight. My sons are music mutants.
Old 08-09-18, 06:14 AM
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked 3,669 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by jeirvine
Nice.

I'm the guy in the middle. I play occasional symphony trumpet in the Hopkins orchestra, and have been in The Jennifers for 25 years now(!)

https://youtu.be/LoAgCaMW-U8
nice!
Old 08-09-18, 06:25 AM

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 381 Posts

Pic of a couple of my basses.
Old 08-09-18, 06:27 AM

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 670 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I don't play an instrument, but my wife (also a cyclist)
+1; for me, the stereo is challenging enough.

My wife, after playing piano (primarily the same piano) for 50 years, decided she wanted to rock and brought home a Gibson Les Paul guitar; been taking lessons for a few months but, alas, her teacher is moving away this weekend. Later in the month, her brother is donating to the cause the Nagoya N28 (Martin copy) acoustic that he bought over 40 years ago (thus C&V?), so she'll have two (for now!) guitars.

Old 08-09-18, 07:48 AM
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Guitar, loudly, in formats ranging from hair metal to country to cowpunk at various times. Retired from the music scene nearly 10 years now.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera

Last edited by Fahrenheit531; 08-09-18 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-09-18, 08:17 AM
msc1958

Bikes: Fiorelli professional, Ross Sutton,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guitars

Thanks for the invite to the Bike Forum. I grew up in the 70's where the electric guitar was king. Hence I play both acoustic and electric guitar. I favor Ovations and Fenders. 10 years of jazz lessons and I'm still trying to learn the instrument. As an encouragement to all, the secret is to first enjoy yourself and be committed. Don't give up. There will always be a player worse and better than you are. There are so many styles to play and no one can play them all. 👍🏻👍🏻😎
Old 08-09-18, 09:24 AM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Sorry to read about your sister. All the best to you both.

Acoustic guitar, lead singer, some other instruments not as well.

My band for the last 40 years, 13 recordings, 1 live-performance DVD:
Southern Rail

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.