Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Cargon Offsets for us?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Cargon Offsets for us?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-07, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Platy
One of the things Enron was working on when they blew up was privatizing and monetizing water rights, world wide. That's still an ongoing project in financial circles. I don't think you misunderstand anything. I'm just giving you a little glimpse of what might be taking place backstage. Someone will come along in a few minutes to tell you, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Speaking of global privatization of water rights, here's a little snipit from a good book on the subject, Blue Gold by Maude Barlow:

In her book, Blue Gold, Maude Barlow brings the focus on this issue a bit closer:

"The privatization of municipal water services has a terrible record that is well documented. Customer rates are doubled or tripled; corporate profits rise as much as 700 percent; corruption and bribery are rampant; water quality standards drop, sometimes dramatically; overuse is promoted to make money; and customers who can't pay are cut off... When privatization hits the Third World, those who can't pay will die."
Old 07-18-07, 12:21 PM
gwd
Biker

Bikes: one Recumbent and one Utility Bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, so they're trying to monetize "less carbon in the atmosphere" and apparently already have partially accomplished this. So, it is only fair that there is now some extra cash value in the carbon we car free people are keeping out of the atmosphere. If carbon dioxide is fungible it's fungible. Do we car free have to organize, form some sort of corporation, in order to slurp up some of this gravy? I read of some corporation that is going to make money spreading iron dust in the pacific in some sort of carbon offset scheme. Is that any more strange than some yuppie paying a car free person by the mile to offset some SUV use? Somethings not right if atmospheric carbon is only fungible for some privileged transactions but not all.
Old 07-18-07, 01:37 PM

Bikes: Schwinn folder; SixThreeZero EvryJourney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gwd
...Do we car free have to organize, form some sort of corporation, in order to slurp up some of this gravy?...
Through a fortunate accident you may now potentially be the owner of a federal trademark for Cargon Carbon Offsets. Maybe buy an ad here on BF, keep proof of the date of publication and that it was seen in more than one state, and you can probably nail it down. As for whether that's a successful business model, who knows?
Old 07-18-07, 10:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peat
It does help some. Carbon is stored in the woody material of the tree. Some in the leaves. In the case of some trees, it can be stored for hundreds of years (the life of the tree). Also, the tree can be harvested and used as a product which can store carbon even longer. for example, the wood floors of my house are 100 years old. Bunch of carbon stored in them as well as the frame. The downside of these "plant a tree get a carbon offset" programs is that it takes a long time for a sapling to become a tree. I don't know what kind of credit you get for one tree but it shouldn't be much if they're just planting saplings. Mature trees do provide shade which reduces energy consumption which should be considered also if the trees are planted in suburban/urban settings.
On a second thought, if the forest was kept up perpetually than there would be a certain amount of carbon that would be stored in it, as long as the entire forest isn't cut down. I assumed that these programs were using more like tree farms (I might be right or wrong), where there is no real carbon storage, except in the house or whatever that is built. If they are planting trees in Urban/Suburban areas than that is laudable, and even though I don't think that count as storing carbon (perhaps saving some as shade and whatnot), having them in an urban area is nice.