Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Now cars can kill you without a driver...

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Now cars can kill you without a driver...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-18, 08:37 AM
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
In many EVs/hybrids, the instrument cluster triggers on door openings, and will remain on after you have exited the vehicle for a period of time. Many dashboards these days are nothing but LED screens which will remain lit up after ignition off, there is nothing in the traditional sense of "lights". While I agree on the general point of your argument, when it comes to battery operated vehicles, you're dealing with a different beast. But, again, not poisoning yourself from CO at least...
Bottom line, if the driver cannot tell if their vehicle is on or off... that person probably should not be driving. . Maybe Darwin is doing us a favor? 'nuf said
Old 05-15-18, 08:40 AM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Bottom line, if the driver cannot tell if their vehicle is on or off... that person probably should not be driving. . Maybe Darwin is doing us a favor? 'nuf said
Agree completely
Old 05-15-18, 09:58 AM

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I didn't want to sound heartless, but I was totally thinking this. Anyone too dumb to leave their car running in their garage probably needs to be removed from the gene pool. Like I said, it's not even about looking at the instrument panel, unless you're hearing impaired you should still hear the engine running (and if you are hearing impaired you should feel the vibration) and why would you shut the garage door with the engine on?

Again, I think it's people just relying on so much of our technology to be automatic that they stopped relying on themselves to manually control things. Eventually we'll get to the point where HAL will refuse to open the pod bay doors and we won't know what to do.
Old 05-15-18, 10:39 AM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
There is the idea of too much tech to the point it is distracting. As just one example, the has been in recent years a series of collisions involving naval vessels. These days, many vessels, even private yachts down to about 30 feet long, are loaded with electronic displays showing a vast array of navigational information, In navy ships, the crew is highly trained in the use of that equipment. Even some years back, a submarine off Hawaii surfaced under a Japanese fishing boat that then sank with loss of life. It is difficult to see how such a mishap occurred unless no one was paying attention, much the way a driver texting is more involved in the texting than driving.

My sense in all this, and admittedly I'm of quite different generation. is there is a frenetic flow to modern life where many people are trying to cram as much activity as possible into the shortest span of time. Inevitably, a great deal of life will be missed along the way..
Old 05-15-18, 11:03 AM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I didn't want to sound heartless, but I was totally thinking this. Anyone too dumb to leave their car running in their garage probably needs to be removed from the gene pool.
Judging from the article, it's mostly people who've already made their contribution to the gene pool, soooo....
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-15-18, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Some ingenious person is probably coming up with a solution as we speak.
It’s already been done. It’s called a carbon monoxide detector.

-mr. bill
Old 05-15-18, 12:34 PM
genec

Originally Posted by mr_bill

It’s already been done. It’s called a carbon monoxide detector.

-mr. bill

Good one!

Why reinvent the wheel... yeah, no doubt someone is going to push for more "automatic" technology for cars so they can detect that they are in a garage, the owner has walked away, and the engine is still running... will probably cost hundreds of dollars to add this to cars... will have unintended consequences... such as not being able to warm up a car in a cold garage on a winter night (car will think door is shut).

Meanwhile a $20 item, sold in any hardware store and mounted just inside the entry way into the house at the garage, will do the trick.

Of course, being situationally aware might help too... But that's just too much to ask of a person who is driving 2 tons of metal around on public streets... right?
Old 05-15-18, 01:12 PM

Why reinvent the wheel... yeah, no doubt someone is going to push for more "automatic" technology for cars so they can detect that they are in a garage, the owner has walked away, and the engine is still running... will probably cost hundreds of dollars to add this to cars... will have unintended consequences... such as not being able to warm up a car in a cold garage on a winter night (car will think door is shut).
Actually, according to the article linked in the OP, the technology exists and is fairly cheap to add to cars:

Seven years ago, the world’s leading automotive standards group, the Society of Automotive Engineers, called for features like a series of beeps to alert drivers that cars were still running without the key fob in or near the car, and in some cases to shut the engine off automatically.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration proposed a federal regulation based on that idea, a software change that it said could be accomplished for pennies per vehicle. In the face of auto industry opposition, the agency let the plan languish, though it says a rule is still under consideration.
Old 05-15-18, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Single fault tolerance is not desireable in terms of human safety. And most people are too lazy to install a carbo monocide detector. And most people are too lazy to replace its battery on regular basis. A engine-kill system needs to be there, as a safeguard. You cannot trust a person will do everything right.
It’s not a single fault.

Leaving an internal combustion engine running in a garage (or bat-cave) that is attached to a house (or mansion) are the first, second, and third faults.

The fourth fault is not installing a carbon monoxide detector if you have a garage (or bat-cave) attached to your house (or mansion), or installing a carbon monoxide detector, but not maintaining it.

ps. In most jurisdictions, code for new construction with attached garage (or bat-cave) requires a WIRED carbon monoxide detector with backup battery.

Also note that your car (or bat-mobile) is not the ONLY potential source of carbon monoxide in and around your house (or mansion).

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 05-16-18 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-15-18, 02:46 PM
genec

"I have got to get the bat cave wired for CO." -- Bruce Wayne.
Old 05-15-18, 06:02 PM
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
I bet the Bat Cave has a wicked good ventilation system.
Old 05-15-18, 07:17 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Maybe Darwin is doing us a favor? 'nuf said
Too much actually, but then again, such supercilious trash talk does makes some smugsters feel so darn good about themselves.
Old 05-15-18, 07:23 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Any car that requires a poison detector of some kind, no thanks. Hilarious anyone would even suggest it.
Old 05-16-18, 05:55 AM
genec

Originally Posted by Oneder
Any car that requires a poison detector of some kind, no thanks. Hilarious anyone would even suggest it.
None do... if the driver is aware of the condition of the vehicle... vice going off in a distracted daze... a condition for which I wouldn't them driving either.

It really all comes down to the driver paying attention to what they are doing.
Old 05-16-18, 07:57 AM

Unfortunately that seems to be out of the question to ask of people, and we have to develop technology to protect people from themselves. Not that I'm against saving lives, but pull your nose out of your phone and have a little bit of awareness of your surroundings and what you're doing, FFS. This is almost as bad as those totally distracted parents who "forget" that their child is in the back of their car and leave them there during a hot summer's day. Because I suppose posting that all-important selfie you took while driving to instagram or facebook is far more important than the safety of your children.
Old 05-16-18, 01:36 PM
Banned.

None do... if the driver is aware of the condition of the vehicle... vice going off in a distracted daze... a condition for which I wouldn't them driving either.

It's like inviting my friend over for lunch, then the second I turn my back he murders me, then blaming me for not paying attention. I really can't understnad what planet people like you and mister bill live on where it's acceptable to add in a pointless feature which comes mandatorily and which accidentally kills people on a regular basis.
Old 05-16-18, 03:06 PM

It's like inviting my friend over for lunch, then the second I turn my back he murders me, then blaming me for not paying attention. I really can't understnad what planet people like you and mister bill live on where it's acceptable to add in a pointless feature which comes mandatorily and which accidentally kills people on a regular basis.
Not exactly, it's more like taking the knife out of your friend's hand before turning around. That being said, I'm not really a fan of pushbutton start, either. What happens when the battery in your key fob dies and you can't get the car started to drive to the store to get new batteries?
Old 05-16-18, 04:20 PM
Banned.

What happens when the battery in your key fob dies and you can't get the car started to drive to the store to get new batteries?
Things like this are why they make it. They are basically DRM for cars that will break after 5-10 years and make it uneconomic to keep using the car.
Old 05-16-18, 04:38 PM

Oh man, it is tragic but I can't help but laugh at the idea of being killed by this inane car 'feature'.
Huh.

The “inane car feature” is an internal combustion engine.

The “poison detector” is wise for anyone who has an internal combustion engine vehicle, a fuel burning furnace, a fuel burning hot water heater, internal combustion generator, fireplace, charcoal grill....

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 05-16-18 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-17-18, 02:50 AM
genec

Not exactly, it's more like taking the knife out of your friend's hand before turning around. That being said, I'm not really a fan of pushbutton start, either. What happens when the battery in your key fob dies and you can't get the car started to drive to the store to get new batteries?
You use the hidden old fashion key, buried inside the fob to manually open the door. The car recognizes this entry method as "emergency" and allows use of the vehicle.

Almost all automakers hide a small mechanical key inside the fob. There is usually a small catch that allows the spare key to pop out. If you can expose the little mechanical key, you can then insert it into the lock opening in the driver’s door, and you’re in.

How To Start a Car With a Dead Key Fob

Once you’re inside, getting the car started is actually pretty easy. Automakers know that your keyless ignition may need to work if the fob dies, and the system has been designed to work even with a non-functioning remote. Some cars are equipped with a means of starting the car manually, and some have a backup built into the key fob that work without a key.
Dead Key Fob? You Can Still Unlock and Start Your Car | BestRide

All that info is buried in the 400 or so page manual that comes in new cars... of course said manuals also tend to end such sections with "contact your dealer..."

Of course you could just ride your bike to the store and get a new battery...
Old 05-18-18, 11:34 AM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
What happens when the battery in your key fob dies and you can't get the car started to drive to the store to get new batteries?
They use a passive RF system. I have a key for my Fusion that is chipped with no battery whatsoever. Hard to tell the difference between it and the door only key that won't start the car, except the black handle is a bit bigger.
Old 05-18-18, 02:23 PM
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by AlexanderLS
The title is misleading and this entire topic has nothing to do with cycling or cyclists.

Now cars can kill motorists without their cager is a more apt title. I say good riddens. One less moronic motorist on the road to potentially harass/bully/injure cyclists.
More bicycling wisdom, advocacy and ethics from BF A&S's Holy Roller choir.
Old 05-19-18, 04:13 PM

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If one cannot tell the difference between a blacked out instrument panel and one that is on and enabled... again, I suggest one doesn't have enough situational awareness to be handling a 2 ton vehicle on public roads.
Even on an all-mechanical dash, the tachometer, oil pressure gauge and others should be a part of your constant scanning. Any of those showing non-zero readings when you think it's shut down should be cause to check what's going on.

Again, it's past time to have every state model its DL training and testing on FAA pilot licensing. Memorized and tested flows, including emergency procedures, checklists and real penalties for unsafe operation are way overdue.
Old 05-19-18, 04:23 PM
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Never a problem with any of my old cars. My Duster had a distant relative named CHRISTINE who was quite the femme fatale.
Old 05-20-18, 08:21 AM
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by KD5NRH
Even on an all-mechanical dash, the tachometer, oil pressure gauge and others should be a part of your constant scanning. Any of those showing non-zero readings when you think it's shut down should be cause to check what's going on.
Mirrors should be part of your "constant scanning" too, when you are driving.

When stopped and parked in your garage? Not so much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.