Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

If you don't have a basket, you are doing it wrong!

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

If you don't have a basket, you are doing it wrong!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-14, 06:21 PM

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
Me, I just dislike adding mass to my steering. I have better low speed control with an unladen front wheel.
My crate is attached to a front rack. Minimal impact in steering. More impact on balance when parked. Good thing I have a double kickstand.
But I am not pedaling for speed. As you can see, I already have a "slow" bike.
Old 05-26-14, 06:22 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
After carrying some highly capable cargo loads, I've found that most bicycle rear axles/hubs/wheels are not up to the task, so add in additional cost for a rear wheel upgrade. Figure in that not every cyclist has access to a large selection of used sturdy rear wheels either.
You make a good point... I would not do an xtracycle conversion and use light duty wheels.

My back wheel is a 32 spoke 105 hub laced to a triple wall mtb rim... it has never needed any truing in 7 years and has seen some epic loads.
Old 05-26-14, 06:26 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by jade408
My crate is attached to a front rack. Minimal impact in steering. More impact on balance when parked. Good thing I have a double kickstand.
But I am not pedaling for speed. As you can see, I already have a "slow" bike.
I have a front rack on my bicycle, but I put very small front panniers onto it, then load them with lightweight items, and even then I can feel the heavier steering action.
Old 05-26-14, 06:28 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
You make a good point... I would not do an xtracycle conversion and use light duty wheels.

My back wheel is a 32 spoke 105 hub laced to a triple wall mtb rim... it has never needed any truing in 7 years and has seen some epic loads.
I'm sure it has.......
Old 05-26-14, 07:25 PM
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I have a trailer for larger loads, but lately I've been using only panniers on my rear rack. For 90% of what I need, this is sufficient.

I don't have a basket either.
Old 05-26-14, 10:41 PM

Bikes: Pacific Reach, Strida

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I guess I do it wrong! I use a combination of backpack and panniers, depending on what I have to carry and whether my trip entails taking the bike on public transit (panniers make that a bit clumsy). I like my system, so I think I'll keep on being wrong...
Old 05-26-14, 11:55 PM
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I'm partial to a messenger bag rather than a basket for everyday trips...I like that I can carry my stuff in with me, fit all my work crap, and still have room to pick up items on the way home. It keeps my stuff dry, and there's nothing to steal. For larger loads, a trailer is awesome.

When I was young and cool, many people I spent time with thought it was perfectly acceptable to use a bike messenger bag instead of a purse. After getting used to all the space, it's hard to go back.
Old 05-27-14, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by wipekitty
I'm partial to a messenger bag rather than a basket for everyday trips...I like that I can carry my stuff in with me, fit all my work crap, and still have room to pick up items on the way home. It keeps my stuff dry, and there's nothing to steal. For larger loads, a trailer is awesome.

When I was young and cool, many people I spent time with thought it was perfectly acceptable to use a bike messenger bag instead of a purse. After getting used to all the space, it's hard to go back.
I haven't been a messenger bag person since college. And that period only lasted a few weeks. I went back to my purse, I did have a sleeker, book sized, cross body bag. But it wasn't a messenger. and used that as a purse/bookbag in college. Post college, I went to hobos. But I like bigger purses, I always need room for a book or magazine (and now that's an e-reader or an iPad). I carry a big purse, some are crossbody.

But I don't do backpacks or messenger bags. Part of it is related to the fact that people treat me like a 12 year old when I do wear one. The other part is that I have a pretty preppy slightly polished style (albeit deconstructed) so those bags don't really go. If I am on my bike, I just make sure my bag is shoulder strapped or cross body. Particularly if I know I'll be navigating transit, or have a full day of errands. But I got a new purse a couple weeks ago that breaks all my rules. It is handheld tote like bag and barely fits on my shoulder, so it hasn't made it to a bike excursion yet. But it fits quite perfectly in my crate, so maybe on a transit free day around town!

I don't really like to keep my purse behind me. And I am notorious for taking off my sweater mid-route, so I need an easy place to stash it. My side-mounted basket sucks for transit, and the more crowded bike racks. Oddly although huge, the front basket works out better on both transit and the racks.

If I win the lotto, I am going to start making bike bags for women that match my style. The existing ones do not even come close. Either too girly, masculine, utilitarian or plain. It's a delicate balance I know.
Old 05-27-14, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
I usually have a used bike or four for sale on consignment at the shop where I work. One of them becomes my "shop bike" lunch go-getter and errand runner. That bike always gets a basket... and quickly becomes the - "Hey mconlonx, can I borrow your bike for a minute?" - most popular bike among shop employees.
Old 05-27-14, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by mconlonx
I usually have a used bike or four for sale on consignment at the shop where I work. One of them becomes my "shop bike" lunch go-getter and errand runner. That bike always gets a basket... and quickly becomes the - "Hey mconlonx, can I borrow your bike for a minute?" - most popular bike among shop employees.
Baskets are uber practical for takeout! Most panniers are pretty narrow. And most takeout containers aren't designed to be carried at any sort of angle.
Old 05-27-14, 07:43 PM
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
And it's a handlebar basket, not a rack milk crate?
Old 05-27-14, 08:09 PM

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
If I win the lotto, I am going to start making bike bags for women that match my style. The existing ones do not even come close. Either too girly, masculine, utilitarian or plain. It's a delicate balance I know.
Do it now. You have evenings and weekends to have fun with it. Throw them up on Etsy or something.

I have a salvaged Wald basket - super huge edition - that I fitted to my SO's cruiser. Completely changed the way that thing handled. We only really got to try it out on the way back from the shop we scrounged it from and the bike does need adjustment to run smoother, but it didn't seem all that promising due to how it changed the handling even when empty.

M.
Old 05-28-14, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by gerv
And it's a handlebar basket, not a rack milk crate?
But of course!

Current shop bike:

Former shop bike:

Old 05-28-14, 01:21 PM

Aero rims, road seat and a basket. I like it. SS w/ coaster? Which basket is that, anyways? Looks more practical than the giant one I have.

M.
Old 05-28-14, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by MEversbergII
Aero rims, road seat and a basket. I like it. SS w/ coaster? Which basket is that, anyways? Looks more practical than the giant one I have.

M.
Parts bin kludged together bike. The wheels were a steal of a deal, S/A S2C 2sp kickback coaster brake hub. Everthing else on the bike is used or take-off... except for the basket. I believe it's the Wald 1392.

When a cheap beater needs a basket, Wald is the basket to get.
Old 05-28-14, 02:26 PM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
But of course!

Current shop bike:

Former shop bike:
Those matte black FG Schwinns with the gold lettering are beautiful looking bikes. Do you know the model name? The Trek would be more practical for me, since it has gears, but I've seen a Schwinn like that in Traverse City, and they sure are pretty. (I would get rid of the red stripes on the seat tube and find an all black fork, plus black rims.) And what's the price on that tag?

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 05-28-14 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-28-14, 06:41 PM

Parts bin kludged together bike. The wheels were a steal of a deal, S/A S2C 2sp kickback coaster brake hub. Everthing else on the bike is used or take-off... except for the basket. I believe it's the Wald 1392.

When a cheap beater needs a basket, Wald is the basket to get.
Spiffy! Hm, perhaps a kickback hub instead of a flip-flop for my future "cable-free beater"...

M.
Old 05-29-14, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Roody
Those matte black FG Schwinns with the gold lettering are beautiful looking bikes. Do you know the model name? The Trek would be more practical for me, since it has gears, but I've seen a Schwinn like that in Traverse City, and they sure are pretty. (I would get rid of the red stripes on the seat tube and find an all black fork, plus black rims.) And what's the price on that tag?
This is not a new frame -- it's a very used, scratched, and in some spots surface rusty vintage Schwinn Super LeTour -- no idea on the name of that newer bike. Cleaned up real nice, though.

Price on the tag says $250 but it would roll out the door at $200.

Gears on the Trek are deceiving -- it's a multi-gear single speed. Notice: no shift/derailleur cables or front derailleur. I could set the front gearing by hand when needed, or use the adjuster and wingnut out back on the rear derailleur to dial in a rear cog. No shifting on the fly...

Last edited by mconlonx; 05-29-14 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-29-14, 05:30 PM
Lazy vegan bicyclist

Bikes: Huffy Innsbruck (with the decals removed)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have always been a fan of the front basket. When I really got into bike commuting and transportation cycling, I toyed with the idea of adding a rear rack to my bike, but I realized that I like the simplicity of the basket. It provides versatile cargo capacity while allowing me to keep my stuff within my sight and reach. I can carry everything that I normally would, but I can still add more if I need to.

For a long time, I was happy with a cheapo basket that just hung directly from the handlebars. It worked, but if I had too much stuff in it, it would cause wonky steering or even rub against my tire due to excess weight. After my Great Bicycle Crash of 2013, I had to replace my basket, among other things, and I am now rocking a Wald 135 basket. It is absolutely perfect for me. The bottom supports make a world of difference! They do make things a little tricky when I put my bike on the front racks on the bus - I can't pull the retractable arm all the way up over my wheel, but my tires are wide, so the hook stays put anyway.

At the Bocce Ball Tournament by drv1913, on Flickr
Old 05-29-14, 10:04 PM

Did you recover alright from your crash?

M.
Old 05-29-14, 11:42 PM

On my way home today, I saw a guy riding his bike holding a small pizza box. I thought, boy he needs a basket. (He did not have a rack either).
Old 05-30-14, 12:39 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
On my way home today, I saw a guy riding his bike holding a small pizza box. I thought, boy he needs a basket. (He did not have a rack either).

But he was managing all right?
Old 05-30-14, 12:43 AM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
But he was managing all right?
Yeah...until he had to hit both brakes for a panic stop.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 05-30-14, 05:27 AM
Lazy vegan bicyclist

Bikes: Huffy Innsbruck (with the decals removed)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MEversbergII
Did you recover alright from your crash?

M.
I am still recovering from the shoulder injury, I still have scars, and my bike seat now sports a bit of black duct tape to cover a rip, but I was able to start back riding consistently again a couple of months ago, so all is right with the world. Thanks for asking.
Old 05-30-14, 05:51 AM
Big Boned Biker

Bikes: Raleigh Detour 4.5, Trek Crossrip Elite '14

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I made my own panniers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (103.5 KB, 37 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.