Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

5 speed freewheel wheel set for a Clydesdale?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

5 speed freewheel wheel set for a Clydesdale?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-18, 04:51 AM
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
excellent bike! new freewheels are terrific. i like the sunrace myself. if you are looking for lower gearing you have lots of options with your crank. you could probably go as low as 24 on that granny. i must say i am a tad jealous!
Old 02-24-18, 07:22 AM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Some good info here, and a bit that isn't so informative or so pertinent. So...

A traditional 6-spd or 7-spd Ultra used a 126mm hub, but the hub was same as a 120mm hub for a 5-spd. For 126mm the axle is nominally 6mm longer. The non-DS cone is positioned the same distance from the end of the axle as on a 5-spd so the extra length is all on the DS. 6mm worth of spacers are added to the DS. Then the wheel is dished to move the rim 3mm toward the DS.

The implications are significant. It means you can convert between 5 and 6 just by swapping axle, adding or subtracting spacers, and re-wrenching. If the 5-spd axle is long enough you may not even need a longer axle. The downside of a 6-spd is that the extra dish makes the wheel less strong, maybe important if you are a Clydesdale. If your frame really is 126mm and your 5-spd (131mm) axle doesn't reach far enough into the DOs, you could use a longer axle, add 3mm spacers to both sides, keep the dish the same, and use a 5-spd FW. The wheel strength wouldn't be affected that way. You could even add the 6mm to the non-DS and reduce the dish by 3mm, making the wheel stronger (if you do it well, of course). But that would be unconventional.

As for fitting the "wrong" hub width into the DO spacing, it can be done within reason. But it does flex the frame to accommodate the hub. If both stays don't flex the same amount it could produce a slight frame misalignment. More importantly, flexing the stays inward or outward also changes the DO orientation w.r.t. the frame and the other DO. For example, forcing them outward means the pair of DOs is flared outward at the back. The QR skewer will pull against non-parallel surfaces. It may grip well enough and the DOs may flex enough to become parallel under the pull of the skewer. But if the non-parallelism is bad enough it can mean the skewer doesn't grip well. If that is the case then under heavy enough pedaling the axle will slip in the DOs and the wheel will become misaligned, perhaps rubbing the tire on the non-DS chain stay. It happens. Some people never have a problem with fitting the "wrong" hub into the frame, some do. That's why it is a good idea to make the hub fit (assuming the DOs are aligned in the first place).
Old 02-24-18, 08:06 AM

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Its going to take a few re-readings before all this info is fully digested. Thanks all.

The suggestion of Phil Wood fixed bearings is interesting, especially as there seems like they are more than likely going to be usesable/rebuildable when bought sight unseen on the used market. Expensive though. I'm wondering how the other sealed bearing hubs available new and used compare strength wise to Phil hubs and loose bearing free wheel hubs?
Old 02-24-18, 08:11 AM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts
Originally Posted by FlMTNdude
Are there any issues with cog spacing between the FW and the HG? Don’t want to change out any more components than I would have to when I get around to a build. Sorry if that sounds stupid, am riding all old school stuff.
If your running friction no, you just adjust you RD to shift the extra cogs.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-24-18, 10:51 AM

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
Its going to take a few re-readings before all this info is fully digested. Thanks all.

The suggestion of Phil Wood fixed bearings is interesting, especially as there seems like they are more than likely going to be usesable/rebuildable when bought sight unseen on the used market. Expensive though. I'm wondering how the other sealed bearing hubs available new and used compare strength wise to Phil hubs and loose bearing free wheel hubs?
It isn't the fact that Phil hubs are sealed as much as the axle design is totally different from normal hubs. The axles are like twice as big in diameter and much tougher than the usual 10mm axles of the time. There are other hubs with a similar design. White industries, Bullseye, and some others I can't think of right now.

Many of the 80s sealed hubs (suzue, suntour, etc) were just normal hubs with sealed cartridge bearings instead of loose bearings. Less maintenance required, but they aren't any less prone to breakage.

Since the frame is apparently spaced 126, you could also go to a modern type cassette hub. These are also stronger than old 'standard' freewheel hubs because the bearings are placed more outboard.
Old 02-24-18, 03:47 PM
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
So far the OP hasn't acknowledged the recommendation for a freehub. I wonder if the OP has a specific objection against choosing the freehub option, given that the wheel will be built from scratch.
Old 02-24-18, 04:00 PM

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

The OP has an unejumicated dubosity as to the advantages of a free hub if he's stickin with 5 speeds, and is a bit of a professional Luddite.

You just wait till I start asking about bottom bracket dynamos....

P.S But seriously, I've learned a lot from this thread. It could have been a 3 post thread.

1. question about Freewheel.

2. Answer: FreeHub

3. Thanks for setting me straight.

I read your post and appreciate the info about compatibilities of the different generation of freehubs.

My follow up question:

What 126mm freehub set-up will give me 5 speeds spaced for a half step crank without adding any additional dish to the wheel? Do you feel that the axles on a freewheel hub are that much weaker that the trade off of increased wheel dish is worthwhile?

Last edited by bark_eater; 02-24-18 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-25-18, 08:04 AM

I found the "Grand Cru Freewheel Rear Hub 126mm" at Velo Orange.

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...heel-hub-126mm

Does any one know if this has a stronger axle than the older designs?
Old 02-25-18, 09:18 AM

Bikes: Too many, but sometimes not enough.

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I found the "Grand Cru Freewheel Rear Hub 126mm" at Velo Orange.

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...heel-hub-126mm

Does any one know if this has a stronger axle than the older designs?
I don't think those use oversize axles like Phil Wood hubs. They appear to be like the much more common sealed bearing hubs that still use a 10mm axle. (Not ideal, but perfectly adequate for 90% of riders and their riding style.)
Old 02-25-18, 09:43 AM
Bianchi Goddess

The OP has an unejumicated dubosity as to the advantages of a free hub if he's stickin with 5 speeds, and is a bit of a professional Luddite.

You just wait till I start asking about bottom bracket dynamos....

P.S But seriously, I've learned a lot from this thread. It could have been a 3 post thread.

1. question about Freewheel.

2. Answer: FreeHub

3. Thanks for setting me straight.

I read your post and appreciate the info about compatibilities of the different generation of freehubs.

My follow up question:

What 126mm freehub set-up will give me 5 speeds spaced for a half step crank without adding any additional dish to the wheel? Do you feel that the axles on a freewheel hub are that much weaker that the trade off of increased wheel dish is worthwhile?
I don’t think you can find a 5 speed freehub/cassette hub. Going to a 6 or 7 speed would give the advantage of smoother transitions from smallest to largest or just a larger “bailout” cog.

I think for us larger riders the shorter distance between the drive side bearings and dropout negates the additional dish (did I say that right). On a quality built wheel I seemed to have more trouble both with axle and true on a freewheel hub than with a cassette hub wheel.

However if you only have the one bike then keeping with the free may be easiest option.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-25-18, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Many of the 80s sealed hubs (suzue, suntour, etc) were just normal hubs with sealed cartridge bearings instead of loose bearings. Less maintenance required, but they aren't any less prone to breakage.
Actually there is a slight improvement in strength with the sealed cartridge bearing design. The sealed cartridge bearing is carried on a threaded sleeve that is screwed onto the axle. This threaded sleeve looks like it is several millimeters longer (towards the dropouts) than the traditional inner race of cup-and-cone bearings so the loading from the hub is distributed further out on the axle. Changing the loading that few millimeters towards the dropouts will reduce the bending moment on the axle and therefore make the axle seem just a tad stronger.
Old 02-25-18, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by n0+4c|u3
It occurs to me, that at one point I was up to about 315.
I was having trouble bending axles and a shop I was in suggested trying a Wheels Manufacturing axle
I never bent it, even tried to. 4130 heat treated chromoly seems to do the job.
https://wheelsmfg.com/products/hub-parts/all-axles.html
They make hubs too.
And I learned something else very useful. Thanks
Old 02-25-18, 10:41 AM

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Originally Posted by cdmurphy
I don't think those use oversize axles like Phil Wood hubs. They appear to be like the much more common sealed bearing hubs that still use a 10mm axle. (Not ideal, but perfectly adequate for 90% of riders and their riding style.)
The rear VO hubs do use a Phil style oversize axle, but the front uses a standard size threaded axle. I bought a set a while back during their yearly sale. Kind of surprised me, but it makes a certain amount of sense. I haven't built them up yet, so nothing further to say about them, except they don't come in 126.

Originally Posted by nashvillebill
Actually there is a slight improvement in strength with the sealed cartridge bearing design. The sealed cartridge bearing is carried on a threaded sleeve that is screwed onto the axle. This threaded sleeve looks like it is several millimeters longer (towards the dropouts) than the traditional inner race of cup-and-cone bearings so the loading from the hub is distributed further out on the axle. Changing the loading that few millimeters towards the dropouts will reduce the bending moment on the axle and therefore make the axle seem just a tad stronger.
Good point. That's true. Clearly though, it is going to be much less of a difference than going to a fat Phil type axle.
Old 02-25-18, 10:56 AM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
... the shorter distance between the drive side bearings and dropout negates the additional dish (did I say that right).
True as far as bending the axle is concerned. As far as spoke breakage is concerned, you won't see any benefit unless you reduce the dish. Which brings me to my real point: OP, why the fascination of using a 5-spd instead of 6? Unless you can move the entire hub to the right by re-spacer'ing the axle and re-dishing the wheel limiting yourself to a 5-spd gains nothing. Nothing at all.

Personal opinion: I'm a big fan of VO. Good stuff at decent prices, and really good customer support.
Old 02-25-18, 11:00 AM

They have 126m hubs in stock right now. They look like a good option considering the price.
Old 02-25-18, 11:15 AM

They have 126m hubs in stock right now. They look like a good option considering the price.
They do, but those are standard axle hubs. Only the cassette ones have the fat axles.

Personally, I'd probably take a chance on a used Phil. They are likely to be fine even if they are old. Ask seller if it spins smoothly. If the bearings are for some reason toast, the company still exists.

Another option is to just use modern cassette hubs in 130, and respace the frame. It's not that hard. You'd want to replace your middle chainring to lose the half step gearing. Might be a bit of a hassle considering that is (i think) and 86BCD crank.
Old 02-25-18, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I don’t think you can find a 5 speed freehub/cassette hub.
SunXCD makes one with 120mm OLN. Large flanges and everything.

You're on your own to make up the cassette though. Probably uses 5 of 8s, or 6 of 9s if you want to go "ultra."
Old 02-25-18, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
True as far as bending the axle is concerned. As far as spoke breakage is concerned, you won't see any benefit unless you reduce the dish. Which brings me to my real point: OP, why the fascination of using a 5-spd instead of 6? Unless you can move the entire hub to the right by re-spacer'ing the axle and re-dishing the wheel limiting yourself to a 5-spd gains nothing. Nothing at all.
Let's flip that: If he CAN re-space the axle, "limiting" himself to 5s gains him a wheel that will be less likely to have spoke problems, and also less likely to have axle breakage. Those seem like much more important benefits than what one more sprocket on the stack is going to get him. (Which isn't exactly nothing, but not much. Not much at all.)
Old 02-25-18, 12:32 PM
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by Ghrumpy
SunXCD makes one with 120mm OLN. Large flanges and everything.

You're on your own to make up the cassette though. Probably uses 5 of 8s, or 6 of 9s if you want to go "ultra."
Ah good point but.....as you point out, parts are not readily available. I believe Suntour also made a single speed BNX cassette hub too. I believe shipmano had a early 6spd cassette, before Uniglide that may have been narrower but again parts.

@bark_eater I was reading through the post again to see why you wanted to build the wheel and noted you were 'sticking with 5spd and 700c' I don't see any reference to the size of the wheels on your bike. are they 700c? or 27"? switching to 700c may cause issues with the brakes.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-25-18, 02:16 PM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by Ghrumpy
Let's flip that: If he CAN re-space the axle, "limiting" himself to 5s gains him a wheel that will be less likely to have spoke problems, and also less likely to have axle breakage.
Well, exactly. You pick a hub that fits your frame and tweak it as you wish. The OP seemed focused on buying a particular hub, builing a wheel, and putting a 5-spd FW on it. Better and easier to start with any old hub and have a plan about what to do with it. Compared to building the wheel itself optimizing the hub and wheel dish is trivial.
Old 02-25-18, 02:30 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I used a Phil Wood Freewheel hub to build my touring bike wheel, because they made the axles so strong they never bend at all..
126, it is for 6 speed freewheels..

a common hub with a 10x1 threaded axle can break, but they are cheap to replace..
Old 02-25-18, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Yeah, 126mm spacing is for 6 speed. 7 speed freewheels most of the time too. 5 speed is 120. Nothing wrong with that.

Maybe try to find yourself some old Phil Wood hubs. Very tough. The oversize axles were a good solution to the old broken axle issues.
Yes, Phil Wood hubs.
Avoid splined freewheels, I would go with Suntour of some type. Oversized axles where the diameter is helpful.
Old 02-26-18, 10:05 AM

@bark_eater I was reading through the post again to see why you wanted to build the wheel and noted you were 'sticking with 5spd and 700c' I don't see any reference to the size of the wheels on your bike. are they 700c? or 27"? switching to 700c may cause issues with the brakes.
The bike presently has 27" wheels. I want to change to 700c wheels if I can fit 38mm tires under fenders. I get that I may have to switch-out the original brakes. I'm going to get the bike on the road with its original 27" wheels this summer, so I can actually gauge whether 700cs are an improvement.