Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A first for me.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

A first for me.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-19, 11:11 AM
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1449 Post(s)
Liked 1,071 Times in 793 Posts
a "French Letter"...ancient slang term, especially when kept in a wallet. So no surprise it's in a Motobecane's bars.
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 11-10-19, 12:27 PM
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 261 Posts
@unworthy1, noting the condition of the bars, tape and plugs (and the condom for that matter) I wondered at first if someone at the Motobecane factory put it in - seems unlikely... @noglider, I always keep a pair of nitrile gloves in a ziplock snack bag rolled up in my saddle bag. I don't mind a little grease but without the gloves my only options are to wipe them on my shorts or mess up the handlebar tape. I seem to be the mechanic on most group rides I do and the gloves have come into play many times, rarely for my own issue.. @Bianchigirll, I have a supply of those, I use them to rub thyroid medicine on the inside of my cat's ear. She has hyper- and I have hypothyroidism and I have to avoid absorbing any of her junk. Fun!
Old 11-10-19, 03:38 PM
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1449 Post(s)
Liked 1,071 Times in 793 Posts
and those "finger condoms" are called "cots", no idea why cause I'm sure most physicians don't let individual fingers rest one at a time in latex...do they?
Old 11-10-19, 03:42 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Great info I cannot use at any cocktail party.....
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 11-10-19, 03:47 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
and those "finger condoms" are called "cots", no idea why cause I'm sure most physicians don't let individual fingers rest one at a time in latex...do they?
If its a "finger wave" prostate exam, old school style, those showed up a times. Had a few Flight Physicals back in the mid-late 70s and the FS wore them.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 11-10-19, 03:50 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Get your minds out of gutter. It's a medical finger condom for putting the chain back on after a puncture

Buzz Kill,

BTW @bianchigirl and @Robbie Tunes, Semper Fi, Happy 244 B'day to all of us Misguided Children.

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 11-10-19, 07:05 PM
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Actually, I've used those finger cots before. 😲😉 I worked for a short time, at a GE/Sylvania headlight making factory, re-soldering leads inside the glass, that weren't soldered quite right the first time. This is done with a spot welder & large magnifying glass. The finger cots are to keep your skin's grease & grime off the parts, and full gloves would be really hot, making your hands sweat way worse.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program. 😁😉
Old 11-10-19, 08:56 PM
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
a "French Letter"...ancient slang term, especially when kept in a wallet. So no surprise it's in a Motobecane's bars.
In a Raleigh's bars you'd find an "English overcoat."
Old 11-11-19, 07:24 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Some may remember the Burt Reynolds/Loni Anderson film loosely based on the Cannonball Run.... I think the proctologist used a full glove.
Old 11-11-19, 10:25 PM
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 2,395 Times in 895 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
Actually, I've used those finger cots before. 😲😉 I worked for a short time, at a GE/Sylvania headlight making factory, re-soldering leads inside the glass, that weren't soldered quite right the first time. This is done with a spot welder & large magnifying glass. The finger cots are to keep your skin's grease & grime off the parts, and full gloves would be really hot, making your hands sweat way worse.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program. 😁😉
BITD, I worked in aerospace electronics. All the workers who did PCB fabrication wore finger cots.

I remember walking to my car with a new co-worker, who commented "there sure is a lot 'action' at this place" prompted by all the finger cots littering the parking lot. I had to explain to her what they were. Embarassing for both of us....
Old 11-12-19, 08:33 AM
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Sometimes speech pathologists use them. They don't need a full glove, just a finger or two to evaluate or assist with mouth/tongue placement.

As for the particular found specimen being used--who the heck would roll it back up? Eww.