Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Stem and seatpost not matching a NO NO??

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Stem and seatpost not matching a NO NO??

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-12, 07:13 AM

Bikes: Elephant custom road bike, 08 Redline D440, Motobecane Fantom cross Uno.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why would you waste time and effort trying to impress the kinds of petty children who would even notice that your stem and bars don't match?
Old 09-02-12, 08:01 AM
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Debusama
Why would you waste time and effort trying to impress the kinds of petty children who would even notice that your stem and bars don't match?
Because I feel the need for acceptance everywhere I go

I guess I have this need to have things match. looks like it is on purpose instead of just thrown together.
Old 09-02-12, 08:36 AM
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
When I first built up my main ride in 2007, I used the Campy Record CF seatpost that came with the Record group. Everything else on the bike was silver, and the black seatpost just offended my aesthetic sensibility. It wasn't for anybody else, but after looking at this glaring incongruity for six months, I replaced the seatpost with a silver Thomson Elite.

I'm much happier now.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 09-02-12, 08:46 AM
Treble Member

Bikes: '07 Cervelo P2C, '12 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert, 2011 Specialized TriCross Comp.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bianchi10

I guess I have this need to have things match. looks like it is on purpose instead of just thrown together.
But if the colours are the same or the colours match isn't that what matters? when you put an outfit on your jeans, shirt, shoes, belt etc all have to match but not be made by the same company. Shouldn't this apply here as well? shouldn't your seat have to match then as well? where does it end?
Old 09-02-12, 09:03 AM
King Hoternot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by manutd
But if the colours are the same or the colours match isn't that what matters? when you put an outfit on your jeans, shirt, shoes, belt etc all have to match but not be made by the same company. Shouldn't this apply here as well? shouldn't your seat have to match then as well? where does it end?
I dont know where it ends for me. If I am wearing billabong swim shorts, I hate wearing a quicksilver shirt. Cross branding is something I have always hated doing. Its not a matter of simply having clack stem, black bars, black seatpost. IF the stem and seatpost had the brand names wiped off (I have heard a couple people use chemicals to take them off) it wouldn't be as big of an issue. its the fact of having two different name brands. obviously not the same thing, but I view it as if you have one boyd rear wheel and a zipp front wheel.
Old 09-02-12, 09:25 AM

Bikes: CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bianchi10,

Don't let the nay-sayers distract you from the real issue at hand here:

Originally Posted by Velominati
Rule #4. // It's all about the bike. It is, absolutely, without question, unequivocally,
about the bike.
Trust your gut. The diligent, painstaking and methodical selection of components based on a thorough evaluation of every facet of their merit for your steed reflects your passion for this pursuit. Further, if you do indeed identify as a person passionate about cycling, your build choices in this way reveal a deeper aspect of your identity than is normally on display to members of the cycling community - an extension of your soul, if you will. You obviously identify as a passionate cyclist, so you owe it to yourself not to sell yourself short with a bike that you don't feel accurately represents your passion and appreciation for this pursuit. As I see it, this is the conceptual purpose of the quintessential "Bike #1". The parts fitting for the bike; the bike fitting for its owner.

That said, I agree with above posters that color takes precedence over brand, but that's pretty obvious, as is your concern with a higher level of sophistication than mere color coordination. Ultimately the brand-matching thing is more about making sure the bike looks fantastic, well thought out, and consistent than some ignorant insistence that a certain brand validates a big ego trip. It is indeed a valid criteria, it's just up to the individual to decide how important it is to them in the context of any particular component choice. Keep on soul searching, and your patience will pay off.
Old 09-02-12, 09:29 AM

Bikes: '12 Felt Z85, '22 Canyon Neuron, '23 Lynskey Pro 29

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
But neither of them match the brand of your bike.... ahhhhhhhh!!!!
Old 09-02-12, 10:03 AM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3180 Post(s)
Liked 1,725 Times in 1,043 Posts
I think I've become more stupid from reading this thread.
Old 09-02-12, 10:19 AM
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
The ultimate compliment...

Your bike is an expression of part of your personality. Even if you don't care what it looks like, that still shows that you don't care what it looks like...
Old 09-02-12, 10:32 AM

Bikes: 2011 Boardman Team Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
+100
Old 09-02-12, 11:01 AM
King Hoternot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jtwilson
bianchi10,

Don't let the nay-sayers distract you from the real issue at hand here:

Trust your gut. The diligent, painstaking and methodical selection of components based on a thorough evaluation of every facet of their merit for your steed reflects your passion for this pursuit. Further, if you do indeed identify as a person passionate about cycling, your build choices in this way reveal a deeper aspect of your identity than is normally on display to members of the cycling community - an extension of your soul, if you will. You obviously identify as a passionate cyclist, so you owe it to yourself not to sell yourself short with a bike that you don't feel accurately represents your passion and appreciation for this pursuit. As I see it, this is the conceptual purpose of the quintessential "Bike #1". The parts fitting for the bike; the bike fitting for its owner.

That said, I agree with above posters that color takes precedence over brand, but that's pretty obvious, as is your concern with a higher level of sophistication than mere color coordination. Ultimately the brand-matching thing is more about making sure the bike looks fantastic, well thought out, and consistent than some ignorant insistence that a certain brand validates a big ego trip. It is indeed a valid criteria, it's just up to the individual to decide how important it is to them in the context of any particular component choice. Keep on soul searching, and your patience will pay off.
Well said! thank you
Old 09-02-12, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
its not that you are uncool, its that it isn't important to you
No, I'm uncool.
Old 09-02-12, 04:21 PM

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I use 3t Pro level stem, bar, and seatpost on all of my bikes. Problem solved. They are rock solid and in neutral black and white color that almost go with any color bike.

Yes, I am OCD, and I don't care what other think. The bike has to past me first, and I can't stand mismatching brand, color, performance level.
Old 09-02-12, 05:08 PM
Treble Member

Bikes: '07 Cervelo P2C, '12 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert, 2011 Specialized TriCross Comp.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quick question for the OP.

I rememeber you were doing a lot of switching out of components on the bike when you first got it. do you have it all set up with the same 'level' and branding on your shifters, crank, brakes, derailleurs and pedals?

for example...on my bike every one of those are Shimano Ultegra. (my bars, seat post, stem and saddle are all Specialized) so I seem to meet the requirements you set out but I couldn't remember what your full set up is.

If you go ZIPP on the front and seat post you need to rock ZIPP carbon cages too right? (and probably wheels but you've already said no to that)

https://www.amazon.com/Zipp-Speed-Wea.../dp/B002BJMRV8

I don't think chain and cassette matter because no one can tell (this isn't a performance issue)

Last edited by manutd; 09-02-12 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-02-12, 05:24 PM

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
What would you do if you were on a date with a supermodel and the carpet didnt match the drapes?
Old 09-02-12, 06:12 PM
Nobody Special

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not brand centric at all, in fact if at all possible, branding...logos....whatever...get taken off all parts.

But I do match colors when applicable and carbon "appearance" ( weave/finish) when possible.
Old 09-02-12, 07:53 PM

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by catonec
... I never ride with my hands on top that close to the stem so why not.
Don't you like to grab the tops of the bars to pull against when you're climbing?
Old 09-02-12, 07:56 PM
Cardiac Case

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale, Litespeed, Lynskey

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'm a bit OCD with these things I guess. lol
You think?
Old 09-02-12, 08:14 PM

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I disagree. I I think you feel that if everything matches everyone should accept you wherever you go. But this is the weakness in your philosophy. Many, if not most, of the folks you will meet could care less about what you ride or wear. And the folks that a really worth getting to know will want to know who you are, beyond the superficial identity provided by some brand.

Deep, huh?
Old 09-02-12, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cale
Don't you like to grab the tops of the bars to pull against when you're climbing?
not really, never have. Im on the hoods while climbing.
Old 09-02-12, 08:33 PM

Bikes: '11 Fuji SL1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i only ride with people with CF frames... or Ti, or high grade bamboo.
Old 09-02-12, 08:51 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What level of Campy do you have?
Old 09-02-12, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BigJeff
What level of Campy do you have?
record 9 crank/BB/shifters
chorus 9 brakes/deraileurs/cassette
campy 2005 zonda wheelset

all ebay scores, slightly used. I rebuilt the rear shifter.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
small kestrel.jpg (48.6 KB, 33 views)
Old 09-02-12, 10:07 PM
King Hoternot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by manutd
Quick question for the OP.

I rememeber you were doing a lot of switching out of components on the bike when you first got it. do you have it all set up with the same 'level' and branding on your shifters, crank, brakes, derailleurs and pedals?

for example...on my bike every one of those are Shimano Ultegra. (my bars, seat post, stem and saddle are all Specialized) so I seem to meet the requirements you set out but I couldn't remember what your full set up is.

If you go ZIPP on the front and seat post you need to rock ZIPP carbon cages too right? (and probably wheels but you've already said no to that)

https://www.amazon.com/Zipp-Speed-Wea.../dp/B002BJMRV8

I don't think chain and cassette matter because no one can tell (this isn't a performance issue)
On my ridley I had full ultegra all the way around. When i switched everything over the ultegra FD clamp didn't want to fit right without me forcing it. I didn't want to risk scratching the paint by forcing it, plus the 105 that came with it had a black clamp vs the aluminum clamp on the ultegra. So i decided to leave the 105 on. The ultegra crankset could have moved over but I left it on for 2 reasons. 1) I didn't want to buy the adapter to make it fit with the BB30 because buying the bike and paying for the cables and adjustments tapped me out financially. 2)I didn't want to pay the extra to have it swapped out with the gossamer it came with since I dont have the tools necassary to do so it would have cost about $50. So I'm stuck with the gossamer till i can afford a new crankset. I'm currently running thomson seatpost (Not in the pics since I was able to talk my friend into giving it back to me and I gave him one of my spares that was sitting around but was to short for me), thomson stem and.....Ritchey pro evo carbon bars. (Not matching, which is why I'm looking at new set). I was thinking about going with those zipp cages also, but also thought about the boyd carbon cages which would match the wheels.

and MikeF....I'm married bro and the drapes dont match the carpet because she runs hardwood floors
Old 09-03-12, 03:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can imagine that someone cares about what his bike looks like. So do I, and so do most people.

Just like I care about what my clothes look like, what my car looks like etc.

But the main difference is that I care what they look like because I care about what I , myself, think of it. I wear clothes I like, drive a car I like and paint my walls in a color I like. I am like that with my bikes too. I dont think about what I ought to do, but rather I go for what I myself find aesthetically pleasing.

Out in the real world, I dont think anyone is seriously going to inspect your bike and scrutinize you for it. If they do, I think you should not care. In my experience the only thing in sports that leaves an impression ( in any sport ) is how good you are. Do not be too self-conscious. Do what comes naturally, and focus on performance.

You may be better off with rollers, a professional bike fit, a new set of thermal base layers for winter and all sorts of other things that gives you the opportunity to become a better cyclist. I know people that spend a lot of money on cosmetical upgrades (they are real upgrades, that is just not the reason they buy them), where there are a ton of things they would be better off with. They are just not as visible and thus, not worth their money. Or at least that is what they think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.