Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Random heart rate jump, then flush feeling, then cold...ideas?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Random heart rate jump, then flush feeling, then cold...ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-14, 07:57 PM

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chitown_Mike
So just an update (perhaps someone can learn something).

Talked with the doc about the symptoms of what was happening, when it happened, my current diet and exercise and so on. She felt, as others have said, it could be my body trying to cool off since it seemed to happen on really muggy and hot days while wearing a backpack. However since I had something similar years ago she didn't want to brush it off so she had an EKG done last night. She didn't hear anything with her stethoscope but there was something that the EKG picked up that she wasn't sure what to interpret it as but will talk to the cardiologist when they come in next week. I had my heart measured and such via an ultrasound years ago when this first happened so she didn't think that was necessary again since nothing was found.

My resting heart rate was 54 beats, which she found odd but not alarming. But I have always been sub 60 when resting since I started riding so I am not worried.

For right now she recommended taking it easy when it is hot out, said I might need to increase my salt intake since I drink so much water, and I am getting blood drawn later this week to get a basic metabolic assessment (or something to that effect). Also I need to keep an eye on when/if it happens again and try to make some notes on what was happening, how I felt, how long it lasted and so on.
If I wore a backpack on a hot muggy day, I'd probably collapse. Doesn't it feel like you just put on a jacket as soon as you slip it over your shoulders?
Old 09-05-14, 12:28 PM
That guy from the Chi

Bikes: 88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Solare
You may want to get checked for factor 5 gene. This is the blood clotting gene. When on thinners I would get a sensation in my legs of cool water running down them. It may not be what you are experiencing but it might be. Do you bleed like a stuck pig when you have a cut or do you have that self sealing skin which works like in some sci-fi movies?
I heal somewhere between the tail of a lizard and Wolverine. I can't really explain it but I heal really fast, broken bones included.

Originally Posted by baron von trail
If I wore a backpack on a hot muggy day, I'd probably collapse. Doesn't it feel like you just put on a jacket as soon as you slip it over your shoulders?
Not really, I use a SealLine bag and because it is a roll top the bag sort of sits off my shoulders and channels air down my back. Granted I look like I am carrying a large orange shield on my back but I have done everything from my short 4.3 mile work commute, to carrying a full days worth of clothes, foods, and needed electronics on 25+ mile commutes. My old Bivouac backpack was horrible and that felt like I was wearing a woolly mammoth on me.
Old 09-15-14, 11:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
See my post below.
https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus...d-my-life.html

Had issues on my bike, two stents later I am OK.