Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Are 1X the future of road cycling?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Are 1X the future of road cycling?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-17, 02:45 PM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3957 Post(s)
Liked 7,310 Times in 2,950 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Chains drop off big rings with no shifting. Bumps and corners and out-of-the-saddle sprinting can do it. Off round rings do it more.

As I mentioned - this is now racing - TT. I've never used a double for a TT bike for me, wife or kid - or most team bikes I've built. So the bikes are setup that way from the start. The FD is used as a chain catcher only.

There is conflicting data but the thought is bigger-bigger is better than smaller smaller. So 52X14 is better than 45X12 (same gear). There is less chain tension and better chain alignment. If the ride is going to take place on a ~100in gear (52X14) then it is better to get that 14 more toward the middle, or whatever cog will be used toward the middle. All this stuff amounts to maybe 2-3W but TTs often have places split by 1 sec.
Okay, so now I'm even more confused. You have a single chain ring, yet you still have a front derailleur installed as a chain catcher. How is this any different than using a double chain ring and not shifting the front during the race?
Old 09-06-17, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Okay, so now I'm even more confused. You have a single chain ring, yet you still have a front derailleur installed as a chain catcher. How is this any different than using a double chain ring and not shifting the front during the race?
he's using a narrow wide or single ring chainring which has better retention since the teeth don't have to be shaped to optimize shifting between rings
Old 09-06-17, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by redlude97
he's using a narrow wide or single ring chainring which has better retention since the teeth don't have to be shaped to optimize shifting between rings
It has better retention, but it still needs a front derailleur as a chain catcher?

(Presumably, the front derailleur is fixed in this application?)
Old 09-06-17, 03:10 PM

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Maybe you missed when I posted #93
... So the bikes are setup that way from the start. The FD is used as a chain catcher only.
That setup is a "normal" large ring of a normal 2 ring front chain-set. It is designed to derail.
...Chains drop even when setup by pros because they rings are designed to derail. ...
As I've been doing this since the 80s, and made the mistake of not holding the chain in place https://www.bikeforums.net/19843198-post75.html

This time - I wanted to hold the chain in place.

The difference is no small ring, no cables to a FD and the FD (can't tell by picture) is so low the chain cannot come off, or shift. The FD is lower than a normal two ring setup where the chain can come off.
Old 09-06-17, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by redlude97
Not on that bike. But yes on the hill bike (the green one posted earlier).
Old 09-06-17, 03:14 PM

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Some place 70s, and a bit the 80s the only pro racing was the TdF type stuff - at least from the USA perspective. Sure there was Japan. There was cross and track. America didn't build bikes recognized as world class. Sometimes they were build better, stronger, but just didn't feel the same. So Euro TdF like pro racing and racers drove almost all of the market.

Now we have "road", gravel, MTB, hill climbing, fat tire and still the others. I can't count how many National Jerseys can be won in cycling but seems over 200 to me.

So it is clear that the pros have less influence than they did. USA has it's own market and pros might influence it, but less than they did. It is very hard in a Road Cycling forum to get common agreement on what Road Cycling is. The future is great for those that bike and there are lots of equipment options. For the sport of cycling, the pro sport, it is rather dim.
Then why the hell, every time one of these pro guys gets in a crash and blames a disc, it becomes the top cycling story for the following 3 months, and creates thread after thread of the same freaking topic on cycling forums? I'm far from the only one who has made this statement as well, so this is still the prevailing feeling. There would be hardly any discussion of disc brakes if the professionals had no influence on the market.
Old 09-06-17, 03:14 PM

It has better retention, but it still needs a front derailleur as a chain catcher?

(Presumably, the front derailleur is fixed in this application?)
Yes - answered above.

1X is pretty much already the TT standard for >30mph fast bikes (not hill bikes).
Old 09-06-17, 03:29 PM

Maybe you missed when I posted #93

That setup is a "normal" large ring of a normal 2 ring front chain-set. It is designed to derail.

As I've been doing this since the 80s, and made the mistake of not holding the chain in place https://www.bikeforums.net/19843198-post75.html

This time - I wanted to hold the chain in place.

The difference is no small ring, no cables to a FD and the FD (can't tell by picture) is so low the chain cannot come off, or shift. The FD is lower than a normal two ring setup where the chain can come off.
Thanks for the additional info.

Here's my thoughts:

1. I don't think single chain rings will replace doubles on road bikes because the step sizes in the gearing are too large with a single chain ring. I also don't think dropped chains are a big problem for the vast majority of riders, so a single chain ring is effectively a "solution looking for a problem."

2. If dropped chains are a serious problem for racers, then I think there likely is a simple solution to prevent it. For instance, it is easy to imagine something (like a clutched rear derailleur) where a small lever could move the front derailleur into a lower position that prevents chain drops. In the other position, you would have a normal double chain ring setup. If you're in a situation where you only need your big ring, just flip the lever.
Old 09-06-17, 03:31 PM

Yes - answered above.

1X is pretty much already the TT standard for >30mph fast bikes (not hill bikes).
Okay, but your original question was whether single chain rings were the future of road bikes. Time trial bikes ridden at 30+ mph are a pretty small niche. I don't think you can extend your argument to road bikes.
Old 09-06-17, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by cthenn
Then why the hell, every time one of these pro guys gets in a crash and blames a disc, it becomes the top cycling story for the following 3 months, and creates thread after thread of the same freaking topic on cycling forums? I'm far from the only one who has made this statement as well, so this is still the prevailing feeling. There would be hardly any discussion of disc brakes if the professionals had no influence on the market.
What % of the pros ride discs? 1%? I get in some races - TdF a whole team rides them so the % is higher. But when it comes to models of bike you see some Specialized teams with some riders on the Venge and some on the Tarmac, it appears the rider gets to choose their model. I think they do get a choice. In the USA domo pro teams they are all on discs or not. That tells me someone is paying for it. I think that is a marketing mistake. They should just let it play out IMO. But unlike the 80s "we" BF folks ride lots of stuff the pros don't ride and other than a few threads and concerned keepers of the faith (like me) nobody cares. Folks buy what they think is cool. I still agree the pros have the most influence, just a lot less.
Old 09-06-17, 03:51 PM

Okay, but your original question was whether single chain rings were the future of road bikes. Time trial bikes ridden at 30+ mph are a pretty small niche. I don't think you can extend your argument to road bikes.
I'm following the "future of road bikes" theme. I wish we could get a definition of road bikes we all agreed on. I can't get agreement on pavement. At least a TT bike is on pavement - paved roads. I think a bigger niche than gravel. A 1X is a much more reasonable move for me than a disc - or gravel bike, but I know folks like both of those.

I'm not moving the goal or target. I first started with a road bike - same bike used for climbing hills and in P123 races with a 1X. I mentioned the MTB was a 1x. I showed a TT bike that was a 1X and I posted pictures of my 1X from the 80s. So I'm giving a broad spectrum of where a 1X can work.

You made some comment about juniors (I do not have a junior racer), but as they are gear restricted I'd think it an even better choice. P123 races are generally slower and less active than the competitive junior races so I expect P123s can take the slower shifts, dropped chains better than juniors can. I expect juniors copy pros. A 1X sounds like a great setup if doing all over again.

Do I think 1X are the future of road cycling (racing)? More than discs, or gravel, but no.
For rec - maybe. They are so simple and you saw my list.
Old 09-06-17, 04:09 PM

Thanks for the additional info.

Here's my thoughts:

1. I don't think single chain rings will replace doubles on road bikes because the step sizes in the gearing are too large with a single chain ring. I also don't think dropped chains are a big problem for the vast majority of riders, so a single chain ring is effectively a "solution looking for a problem."

2. If dropped chains are a serious problem for racers, then I think there likely is a simple solution to prevent it. For instance, it is easy to imagine something (like a clutched rear derailleur) where a small lever could move the front derailleur into a lower position that prevents chain drops. In the other position, you would have a normal double chain ring setup. If you're in a situation where you only need your big ring, just flip the lever.
Yea, I agree. Just like discs and gravel and >28 tires - if Road Cycling is like what the TdF guys ride - none of these future things will come to pass soon.

But I think the chain drop is more of an issue than you think. No-one films the 100th place guy dropping a chain, and it usually does not require a support car. It happens in sprints all the time. The 1X thing is growing and taking market share (as are discs and gravel and wide tires) from the traditional road bike.

Look closely at the picture here: https://www.bikeforums.net/19842605-post65.html. So far you have not commented on it. That is another reason to move to a solid 1X, but that is certainly rare. Much more rare than chain drop.

I think the 2X will remain the preferred road race (like TdF riders ride) setup, but all the other cases from rec to racing I can see a 1X being a valid choice too.

If UCI lowers weights to <6kg/<12lbs region I see discs, wide tires all going away overnight. We may see the 1X show up in the pro peloton.
Old 09-06-17, 04:32 PM
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
I don't think single chain rings will replace doubles on road bikes because the step sizes in the gearing are too large with a single chain ring.
I just started running a 52/36 with a 11-32 11speed cassette. I frequently ride a paved trail for 30 miles and get 1500 feet of elevation gain/loss with grades averaging just under four percent and a few at five percent. I do the entire thing in the big ring and seldom need the 32. If I really go extra hard, I might drop to the small chain ring on the way home.

I can see the possibility of 1x11 and 1x however many gears we can cram on that axle combinations on road bikes.

I'm usually riding in the 4th to 10th gears and there is only one or two tooth difference between each. I can now shift to a higher gear ratio and not kill my cadence trying to accelerate up a hill after having reached my max cadence. Having to shift the front to a lower and the back over several higher just isn't efficient enough to keep from causing some hindrance to your cadence.
Old 09-06-17, 10:05 PM

Look closely at the picture here: https://www.bikeforums.net/19842605-post65.html. So far you have not commented on it. That is another reason to move to a solid 1X, but that is certainly rare. Much more rare than chain drop.
I didn't comment on the photo because it is irrelevant to the present discussion. The correct conclusion is that it is a reason to move to a solid chain ring NOT that it is a reason to move to a solid 1X chain ring.
Old 09-08-17, 07:50 PM

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
The "hill bike" is a MASI Evolutionize rebuilt for these hill climbs they have in CO. Start at the bottom, finish at the top, mass start, So not always the lowest times, anyway...
Front is Wolftooth 44, rear is 11speed 11-29(12-29 would have been preferred, I couldn't get in same spec). I have 46 and 48 T options. Junior has crit raced with same setup, although might just go to a single bigger ring for that as the chain angle is a wee better.
Cool, this has been an interesting thread, I've enjoyed reading about your experiences and insights. I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to have your front ring fail when in competition for a spot at world's. I get mad when I get sloppy/cocky and drop a chain hammering around town!

I'm not a racer, but am blessed enough to be a strong and healthy guy that seriously considers going back to the 12-23 I had (8speed). I'm seriously considering going 11 speed just to add three extra cogs to the rear - a 25,27 and 29. Right now I jump 23 then 26, but a closer shift and the 29 would mean I would almost never have to drop the front down for a climb.

Of course if I keep my double I could also enjoy an 11 speed 12-23 which is nice since I use my steel ride for centurys in the windy midwest.

I'm intrigued after reading this thread though, when I get a nice stiff alloy road bike I'll seriously consider 1x
Old 09-08-17, 07:59 PM

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Eventually chains and cogs need to disappear altogether. "Infinite speed" systems have been used for machinery since at least the 60's and probably earlier. It usually consist of a belt or chain riding between two cones. As the cones move apart or closer, the gear ratio changes giving you an infinite choice of settings between the minimum and max range. No more worries about how many teeth you step up from one gear to the next, so no unwelcome hits to your cadence output.

The technology is there but the price of materials strong enough to do the job and light enough for bicycles is probably lacking.
That would be awesome but I don't know if they would ever overcome some basic principles of belt style transmissions. Mainly it's that you need to maintain enough friction so there's no slippage. All that extra tension means more friction losses on the hubs and beefier bearings.

Chains are probably the most efficient way to transfer power. They're light and simple.

How cool would that be though, a cvt? Are CVTs the future of road biking?
Old 09-08-17, 11:08 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
I didn't want to turn this into a racing discussion.
Fooled me with posts in the first 2.5 pages of this thread almost exclusively concerning 1x in racing.
Old 09-08-17, 11:18 PM

I guess you were fooled. That a bike is used "for racing", does not make it a racing discussion. I doubt we can define racing any more than we can define road bike.
I don't see racing in my posts.
But in Road Cycling it is common for someone to try to be faster - or think they are. Just the way it is. Few threads here do not involve going faster (than the next person).
Old 09-09-17, 04:51 AM
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Fooled me with posts in the first 2.5 pages of this thread almost exclusively concerning 1x in racing.
is racing discussion is the future of this thread ?
Old 09-09-17, 05:04 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
That would be awesome but I don't know if they would ever overcome some basic principles of belt style transmissions. Mainly it's that you need to maintain enough friction so there's no slippage. All that extra tension means more friction losses on the hubs and beefier bearings.

Chains are probably the most efficient way to transfer power. They're light and simple.

How cool would that be though, a cvt? Are CVTs the future of road biking?
Not cool at all. NO
However, evidently they are the future of Citibikes. (see also post #70 above)
Old 09-10-17, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
...I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to have your front ring fail when in competition for a spot at world's. I get mad when I get sloppy/cocky and drop a chain hammering around town!...
From post #65 - clarification: It was not a chain drop. It was a chain ring coming apart.
...Spinning the gears out of the ring.
Attachment 579402
Old 09-18-17, 07:00 PM

So, a rare event becomes rarer with a single chain ring. Doesn't seem like a big deal.
Except to Powless this AM
"...Neilson Powless (Roseville, Calif./Axeon Hagens Berman), was also on pace to challenge for a podium finish but suffered a crash while trying to fix a mechanical with his chain. Quick work by Team USA’s support vehicle got Powless onto his spare bike and he was able to regroup for a top-10 finish, placing ninth"

McNulty Takes Silver in U23 Time Trial at Worlds - USA Cycling
Old 09-18-17, 07:21 PM

Except to Powless this AM
"...Neilson Powless (Roseville, Calif./Axeon Hagens Berman), was also on pace to challenge for a podium finish but suffered a crash while trying to fix a mechanical with his chain. Quick work by Team USA’s support vehicle got Powless onto his spare bike and he was able to regroup for a top-10 finish, placing ninth"

McNulty Takes Silver in U23 Time Trial at Worlds - USA Cycling
His chain dropped off on the inside, between the crank and the frame. There are two possibilities:

1. He was using a double chainring setup, and he was riding on the small chainring when the chain popped off to the inside.

2. He was using a single chainring setup, and the chain popped off to the inside.

Which was it?
Old 09-18-17, 07:43 PM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Powless has to be using a double (McNulty certainly was, there's an event photo where he's clearly in the small ring) because his S-Works has got a fancy eTap FD-- and I have no idea why they would leave that on there with a single chainring. Also looks like a typical S-Works Aero chainring (not narrow-wide) so if he was running it 1X on a ramped ring and dropped a chain... yeah, that'll happen.
Old 09-18-17, 07:56 PM

His chain dropped off on the inside, between the crank and the frame. There are two possibilities:

1. He was using a double chainring setup, and he was riding on the small chainring when the chain popped off to the inside.

2. He was using a single chainring setup, and the chain popped off to the inside.

Which was it?
I don't know. Only that chain drop is an issue.

On a designed for single / 1X either a narrow-wide or long tooth it is not very likely there would have been drop. But it can still happen, just (as I posted) never seen it.

The other thing is they swapped bikes, so it may have been chain between rings. I've had that happen on the tandem. Once in, it does not want to come out.

Last edited by Doge; 09-18-17 at 08:00 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.