Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Riding in the Rain

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Riding in the Rain

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-17, 06:50 PM

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
I don't ride in the rain, period. And I will never understand the mindset that people won't start a ride if it's raining but are ok if they are caught in the rain, even if it is only 15 minutes into a 3 hour ride. What the heck is the difference?
Old 06-06-17, 07:03 PM
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
I will intentionally ride in moderate rain showers. Warm summer showers can actually be quite pleasant to ride in. If I know I'm going to get wet, I just put the fenders on the touring bike (also my gravel/winter bike) and go for it.

Over the years I have also been caught in some far more significant weather events including hail, high winds and torrential rain on several occasions. The only times I've bailed for cover have been when there is lots of lightning close by or hail bigger than marble size. I wouldn't intentionally set out to ride in severe weather, but it makes for good stories when a storm pops up out of nowhere and catches you on open road or in the middle of a gravel grinder out in the boonies.

Last edited by Myosmith; 06-06-17 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-06-17, 08:03 PM

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I don't mind riding in the rain. I mind how grimy my bike gets though...So I've been looking for another cheap bike for rain riding. But if it's pouring or thundering & lightning, then no, I won't bother going out and its been like this a lot recently.
Old 06-06-17, 09:00 PM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by bikejrff
I don't ride in the rain, period. And I will never understand the mindset that people won't start a ride if it's raining but are ok if they are caught in the rain, even if it is only 15 minutes into a 3 hour ride. What the heck is the difference?
If I am on the bike and have no other option than to continue on the bike to get somewhere, I must ride in the rain. Barring hypothermia concerns, once I'm soaked through, its rather meh, and I generally forget the discomfort within a few min. Even if there are clouds impending when I leave, there is always the chance that it won't rain. Thought I was going to get soaked this afternoon, was waiting for it, but it never came. Had I not gone, I would have been PO'd at myself for wasting what turned out to be a good afternoon.

If I am at home and comfy, my options are to sit home or go out in the already failing rain. Not likely that willfully getting wet is going to win that.

Same reason that I have to jump into cold water, instead of tiptoeing in. If you know it is coming, it is far worse than it just happening.
Old 06-06-17, 09:09 PM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bscarpenter
....... Do you go out for an exercise ride when it is raining or do you just go to the gym when it's raining?
No. Yes. No

I don't ride for exercise. I only ride for fun... year round as often as I can.

I go to the gym. I know I need regular exercise and due to winter cold and frequent rain I jog on the track at the gym for exercise when I can't ride my bike.

I rarely guess correctly what the weather will be. The apps I use for weather forecasts aren't much better. So since I'd much rather ride my bike than exercise at the gym... I often end-up getting rained on.
Old 06-07-17, 03:39 AM
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I built up a Motobecane Jury Townie earlier this year specifically for riding in bad weather.
Old 06-07-17, 06:26 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7673 Post(s)
Liked 3,545 Times in 1,862 Posts
I will never understand the mindset that people won't start a ride if it's raining but are ok if they are caught in the rain, even if it is only 15 minutes into a 3 hour ride. What the heck is the difference?
Every time you go out in a car you risk becoming one of the approximately 40,000 killed on the road in the U.S. pretty much every year since 1960.

You weigh the odds, you decide to drive to the gym to workout, even though you know people have more accidents when it rains.

If you could predict the future, obviously you would stay home on the day yo were going to get hit by some idiot who wasn't paying attention and going too fast in the rain. Since you cannot, you have to roll the dice.

As Jefnvk notes sometimes it looks like rain is imminent, but it never comes. Some days look fine but a quick-moving local shower will drench you.

Happened to me a couple months back, where I set out to ride because it looked like a great day. I got drenched by a sudden shower, then the clouds blew on and it was again a great day. I went on to do the longest ride of the year.

Another day I took out my best bike because the weather looked perfect. An out-of-nowhere cloudburst completely soaked me. If I had had the slightest suspicion that it might rain, I would have taken my commuter.

In between those two rides, I set out on a day when I hoped it wouldn't rain. It rained so hard I cut my ride in half and went home. Since I don't commute anymore, and have nothing to prove, riding into driving rain pushed by a high wind doesn't much appeal any more.

In every case, I put in miles and time on the bike that would have instead have been spent on the couch, eating unnecessary calories and wishing I had decided to brave the elements and roll the dice.

Quoting jefnvk,
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Had I not gone, I would have been PO'd at myself for wasting what turned out to be a good afternoon.
I never lack for excuses not to ride.

Also, far too many days when the weather is finer, other factors keep me from riding ... chores, necessary household repairs, fatigue, soreness ....

Yesterday I went out between light rains .... The roads were damp and wet in places, but it never rained more than a few mostly random drops. It was my first ride all month.

Even if I had gotten drenched, I would rather have gotten at least Some time on the bike, than to have waited for another day which might never have come.
Old 06-07-17, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
I like the rain, the one thing I don't like is that my shoes seem to collect all the water dripping off of my legs. If it's not super warm out, they can get cold and that's not pleasant.

Anyone have ways to avoid this (I guess some sort of show covers would do it...)? Do I need crappy weather shoes with worse ventilation in addition to a crappy weather bike?
Old 06-07-17, 06:51 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Campione, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I like riding in light drizzle.
A few randonneuring events in rain and cold have hardened me to the weather.
Only exception to riding in rain is when I have to commute to work. I dont mind riding back home in rain.
Old 06-07-17, 07:04 AM

Bikes: Huffy Sienna Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just got caught in a storm earlier this week. Didn't really like it all that much. I don't have fenders so I caught a good amount of road dirt all over my face and back.

Even with fenders, I'd skip if it was raining.
Old 06-07-17, 08:03 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,607 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by highrpm
I just got caught in a storm earlier this week. Didn't really like it all that much. I don't have fenders so I caught a good amount of road dirt all over my face and back
lol, yup. you gotta want it. want it bad. after this ride I began researching fenders

Old 06-07-17, 08:06 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by kingston
I built up a Motobecane Jury Townie earlier this year specifically for riding in bad weather.
nice job w the cork(s)! does the top one at the rear brake bridge ever want to rattle out as you ride?
Old 06-07-17, 08:08 AM
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
I used to have the same mindset. We now have Seattle's weather here in Virginia... so if I don't ride in the rain, I'll never get to ride. For every 2 days of sunshine we get here in April and May... we get 2 weeks of rain. June has been a little better so far... not as much rain.

Last edited by DomaneS5; 06-07-17 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-07-17, 08:09 AM

I think the difference is, you want to ride, but not in the rain. so you convince yourself the ride will be dry long enough to get out the door. if it starts raining oh well, you're out the door riding. kinda like talking yourself into buying a particular used car you know might have mechanical problems later but right now everything is copacetic, so you buy it cuz you really want that particular car, right now
Old 06-07-17, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18495 Post(s)
Liked 15,803 Times in 7,421 Posts
What the heck is the difference?

For some, there is a psychological barrier to starting a ride in the rain. If you are already out there, it's easier to say "What the heck? Might as well deal with it. If you haven't left the house, it's natural for you mind to start considering other options to something less than ideal.

When I am doing loaded touring I absolutely hate starting in the rain, and not just because I have to pack up gear in the rain. But if the rain hits when I am on the road I often don't mind it. Sometimes I actually consider it neat challenge to face. Last year, while touring in Montana, I stopped for groceries in a town. Just as got back on the road it started to rain. I could have camped in that town but I ventured on another 18 miles to my intended campground. I found the experience somewhat exhilarating. While I prefer perfect weather on tour, persevering through crappy weather provides a greater sense of accomplishment. Back in 2014 I descended more than 20 miles from 8,000' in altitude with off and on rain, small hail and snow. And this photo was taken near Washington Pass on the North Cascades Highway. You can't tell from the photo, but it was snowing on the road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
LIB.jpg (82.7 KB, 92 views)
Old 06-07-17, 09:30 AM
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't mind the rain. Living in the PNW you get use to it. But I hate downpours and I hate the spray caused by cars as they pass. I love a cloudy morning though because it's somewhat mysterious. Except in South Dakota last year where those morning clouds often turned into thunderstorms late at night with the chance of a tornado. It rained 11 days of my 96 days on the road last summer but I only stopped to take cover 3 times.
Old 06-07-17, 09:44 AM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
I'll ride if rain is in the forecast, but not if it's actually raining when I leave home. I've been caught in rain several times the past couple of years. Unless the wind is blowing dangerously I just keep riding.

Usually I'll choose a route where traffic won't be a problem. I'm confident in my tires so I don't worry about that. With cantilever rim brakes I'm much more cautious and do plenty of advance braking to squeegee off the water and road crud. I wear clear safety glasses with foam seals around the eye sockets. A few times without glasses hard rain or debris would get in my eyes. Just a momentary distraction from blinking away the sting can be dangerous.

The main deterrent? Laundry. Especially the shoes. A couple of times this spring I had to pre-soak everything, especially my shoes, in a bucket to get the mud off before putting 'em in the machine. I'll probably put fenders back on one bike so it'll be less messy.
Old 06-07-17, 01:50 PM
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
nice job w the cork(s)! does the top one at the rear brake bridge ever want to rattle out as you ride?
I only have a few hundred miles on the bike, but everything is holding up well so far. I left both corks a little long so they are compressed which should prevent the bolts from vibrating loose. If they do, I'll just hit them with a little blue locktite.
Old 06-07-17, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1185 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Location, location, location... it rains almost daily, 9 out of 12 months of the year, here.
+1

If you didn't ride in the rain in western Oregon, the riding season would be really short However, if it is raining really hard, I may only ride down to the gym. If the folks don't see my bike parked in front of the gym, I catch a lot of flak.

How cold can the rain in southern Florida be?

Last edited by Doug64; 06-07-17 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-08-17, 04:36 AM

Bikes: Fantom 29

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
+1

If you didn't ride in the rain in western Oregon, the riding season would be really short However, if it is raining really hard, I may only ride down to the gym. If the folks don't see my bike parked in front of the gym, I catch a lot of flak.

How cold can the rain in southern Florida be?
It's not the temperature of the rain, it's the lightning that comes with it.

I live in the area of Miramar and Pembroke Pines
Old 06-08-17, 08:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Currently we are experiencing a very atypical weather pattern with pretty much constant daily rain which is producing a lot of flooding. Thunderstorms with lightning and storm force winds tend to be our typical rain event.

You know ish is real when the local ginormous mall closes two days in a row.

I'm an avid camper with my boy scout troop, and consider myself a pretty astute weather observer. This current pattern has made it very unpredictable. Usually we can see the thunderstorms in the distance and see them rolling in, and with cloud speed and color judge how long it will last. Now with it being constantly rainy and cloudy, it's harder to tell when a sudden thunderstorm cell is moving in. Monday night we had a very severe storm cell pass over where I was that not only brought lightning very close, but it generated tornadoes, which is not typical of South Florida.

I don't anyone who really wants to be riding in a thunderstorm with storm force winds and tornadoes.
Old 06-08-17, 10:24 AM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Ride! As already mentioned use a dedicated bike for the rain, wrap the wheels in fenders and go. Over time you should develop an idea as to what gear you need for your local climate.
Old 06-08-17, 10:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
Over time you should develop an idea as to what gear you need for your local climate.
Lightning rods and tornado proofing.

I can only hope to be as bad a$# as Ms. Gulch

Old 06-08-17, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3812 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 803 Posts
I don't intentionally ride in the rain, it doesn't matter how hard/long it's been raining; it doesn't even matter if the rain has stopped -- I don't cycle on wet roads. Of course I do ride in the rain because I'm a commuter/touring cyclist and get caught out in the rain a lot, but almost never start in a rain, unless I'm on a tour and it's day-after-day of raining -- you can only sit around for so long.

I don't mind getting wet, nor do I mind if my bike gets wet -- it's all about the road grim getting on my bike and stuff. I'll go for a run in the rain, but won't ride my bike.
Old 06-08-17, 11:17 AM

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I've never melted, yet. Got fenders? They work well. Ride your bike in the gym? Like really tight crit laps? No. I don't gym. Commute, mt bike, tour. Start there. Or just start your ride with a big cup of HTFU.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.